BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BMW 5-Series (E60) Forums (2004 - 2009) > General 5-series and M5 (E60) Forum

05-25-2023, 03:25 PM   #1
hypermedia.jake
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2007 550i bmw

Exclamation Timing correlation codes, Cylinder misfires, Occasional oil pressure light

I have a 2007 550i BMW with the 4.8L N62.
Just did a full rebuilding replacing main bearings, con rod bearings, piston rings, headgaskets and every gasket inbetween.
Replaced the timing chains, timing chain guides and tensioners

I have drive the car around 100 miles so far and I'm getting the following issues:
Sometimes are varying RPM but consistently at 2.5k rpm and 3k rpm on higher gears the red low oil pressure light turns on for a few seconds then goes away.

This has been a 3 week journey of trying to figure out the random oil pressure issue and the cam/crank correlation code with NO LUCK.

Today i drove the car light for a few miles and it started to misfire bad, slowly drove it back home,
I hooked the car up to ISTA+ for the hundredth time and these are the codes in the DME fault memory:

0029CC: Combustion misfires, several cylinders. (This is a new issue as of today)

0029CE: Combustion misfires, cylinder 2 (This is a new issue as of today)

002A90: Exhaust camshaft, tooth offset to crankshaft (This is a new issue as of today)

002A91: Exhaust camshaft2, tooth offset to crankshaft (This issue was there before i rebuilt the engine)

The 002A91 code has been steady on the fault memory no matter if i clear it, it turns back on so it is detecting an issue. Before and after the rebuild

Here are the steps i have already gone through:

* VANOS solenoids clean: ✅
* VANOS solenoid replacement: ✅
* VANOS solenoid connections clean: ✅
* Oil pressure switch Replacement OEM: ✅
* Error memory reset after every fix: ✅
* CEL oil reset code: ✅
* Unpluged the DME and cleaned off the prongs: ✅

Next steps are taking the valve cover off and checking the timing. This will be a pain to do but if anyone has any ideas before i do this let me know. From my research i'm hearing the VANOS cam gear could be faulty but now the corresponding exhaust camshaft is throwing the same code.

With the oil pressure issue could this be VANOS related? Am i missing an adaptation reset in ISTA+?
Appreciate 0