BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Cosmetic Care & Detailing (PPF/Wash/Wax/Detailing/Restoration/Repairs)

05-10-2023, 07:42 PM   #1
fanofbmwe46
Major
Rep
Drives: M3

Ceramic Coating Safe on Carbon Fiber Roof?

I heard from one member who had some sort of chemical reaction happen to the clear coat of his CF roof which turned it milky white permanently.

Anyone else ever have issues ceramic coating their CF roof? Have any of you purposely avoided it? What brands/products should and shouldn’t be used up there?
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2023, 10:51 PM   #2
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

It's clearcoated, it should be compatible with anything that is safe for paint.
Appreciate 2
shimmy232341.00
F30Andy1769.50
      05-11-2023, 08:08 AM   #3
Westside Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Z4 M40i, 2021 228i GC

Garage List
One of my friends just had Xpel Ultimate Plus put allover his new M3 Competition and they did his CF roof.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2023, 08:18 AM   #4
Jrock645
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

Shouldn't be a problem at all.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2023, 08:27 AM   #5
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep
Drives: All of them

Garage List
PPF and ceramic should be no problem at all.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2023, 08:58 AM   #6
BIGW0RM
You got my money?
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Ice Cream Truck

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [9.50]
I had my 1st black G80 M3 coated with Gtek and this is what happened to mine. Now before anyone says, oh thats build up. Thats too much coating on it that is making it hazy.

No, its not build up. Its not buffered burned. Its under the clear coat. I had over 5 other shops, including BMW master auto body shop tell me it was a chemical reaction.

So I wont be doing that again. But I have seen MANY others here get theirs done with no issues. Maybe it was the brand coating I used. I dont know.

But I wont be doing my roof again.

How mine turned out.

05-11-2023, 09:15 AM   #7
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 11' 335is DCT

Yep like someone else mentioned it's going to be clear coated so it's like paint.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2023, 09:16 AM   #8
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGW0RM View Post
I had my 1st black G80 M3 coated with Gtek and this is what happened to mine. Now before anyone says, oh thats build up. Thats too much coating on it that is making it hazy.

No, its not build up. Its not buffered burned. Its under the clear coat. I had over 5 other shops, including BMW master auto body shop tell me it was a chemical reaction.

So I wont be doing that again. But I have seen MANY others here get theirs done with no issues. Maybe it was the brand coating I used. I dont know.

But I wont be doing my roof again.

How mine turned out.
Maybe I'm blind here but I don't see the issues. Looks good?

By Gtek also do you mean Gtechniq?
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2023, 11:10 AM   #9
allinon72
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20' M2C, 23' X1

Highly recommended as the clear coat on the CF isn't near the quality as the paint. Needs that extra physical protection, but more importantly UV protection.

I used CQuartz and Gtechniq products without issue on my F80.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2023, 12:00 PM   #10
BIGW0RM
You got my money?
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMidnightNarwhal View Post
Maybe I'm blind here but I don't see the issues. Looks good?

By Gtek also do you mean Gtechniq?

Look at the rails top edge. They are foggy white. The corners of my roof are foggy white too. At night time, under certain light, the rails would almost glow white and looked like 2 white skunk lines running down the roof.

And yes. It ws Gtechniq Crystal Serum lite that was used.

Last edited by BIGW0RM; 05-11-2023 at 12:08 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2023, 12:27 PM   #11
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Look at the rails top edge. They are foggy white. The corners of my roof are foggy white too. At night time, under certain light, the rails would almost glow white and looked like 2 white skunk lines running down the roof.

Ahhhh ok yeah I see it now in your original picture as well. Man... that is odd. I do have a hard time thinking how a chemical reaction could have occurred because there is clearcoat and epoxy dried. And Gtechniq is a reputable brand to.

Did you DIY the coating and prep?
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2023, 12:50 PM   #12
MunkyTool
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 G80 Comp X-Drive

Garage List
No issues on mine. Have had the coat on about 6 months now.

That being said, now that I have it I wouldn't recommend getting a ceramic coating.

Overall it just easier to keep the car looking perfect with proper washes and waxing.

Next time I'll just PPF the front.

Last edited by MunkyTool; 05-11-2023 at 12:59 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2023, 12:59 PM   #13
peelerec
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 M340i Mineral Grey

Garage List
2022 BMW M340i  [0.00]
Quote:

What is even more odd is that only the edges/corners have that white haze. If in fact, a negative chemical reaction occurred, then it's possible the CF roof was not seamed correctly on the edges. Just a thought.
      05-11-2023, 01:27 PM   #14
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MunkyTool View Post
No issues on mine. Have had the coat on about 6 months now.

That being said, now that I have it I wouldn't recommend getting a ceramic coating.

Overall it just easier to keep the car looking perfect with proper washes and waxing.

Next time I'll just PPF the front.
Maybe your expectations of a ceramic coating were to high? Not to shit on you but I do see similar comments from time to time from people who have had them. It's important to remember a ceramic coating isn't going to be a magic thing that keeps the car always clean or need to avoid cleaning the car or whatever. You need to view ceramic coating as pretty much just a wax/sealant that last much longer and has better chemical resistance. Like you still need to maintain wash it. And also it barely offers added scratch/chip resistance, that is indeed done by PPF.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2023, 02:57 PM   #15
BIGW0RM
You got my money?
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [9.50]
Quote:
Ahhhh ok yeah I see it now in your original picture as well. Man... that is odd. I do have a hard time thinking how a chemical reaction could have occurred because there is clearcoat and epoxy dried. And Gtechniq is a reputable brand to.

Did you DIY the coating and prep?
I had the service done at what sure seems like a reputable shop. They do training courses for GTECH to become Gtec certified installers.

Members here have to that shop. Local speed shops around me refer customers to them. They did work on my 911 that was flawless (not coated though). My ceramic coating come out very very nice other than the roof. The razor back on my roof lines and the edges of the roof all turned milky white that would damn near glow white under street lights and foggy conditions. The pics I posted do not capture the glow like effect they put off. It was very strange.

I can only assumed they cooked my coating with a polisher before coating it. It sure looks like that. But they only use an orbital and I have over 5 places tell me it looked more like a chemical reaction.

I gave up on it. But I will never put Gtech on carbon fiber again. Im scared to put anything on it now.
      05-11-2023, 03:08 PM   #16
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
I had the service done at what sure seems like a reputable shop. They do training courses for GTECH to become Gtec certified installers.

Members here have to that shop. Local speed shops around me refer customers to them. They did work on my 911 that was flawless (not coated though). My ceramic coating come out very very nice other than the roof. The razor back on my roof lines and the edges of the roof all turned milky white that would damn near glow white under street lights and foggy conditions. The pics I posted do not capture the glow like effect they put off. It was very strange.

I can only assumed they cooked my coating with a polisher before coating it. It sure looks like that. But they only use an orbital and I have over 5 places tell me it looked more like a chemical reaction.

I gave up on it. But I will never put Gtech on carbon fiber again. Im scared to put anything on it now.
I see. Yeah I had the same theory like peelerec but my other theory which IMO seems more realistic is just the clear that burned during polishing. It would surprise me BMW didn't epoxy/clear coat the panel right that would allow leaquage in, if that were the case water would be seen under right? Also if it was a chemical reaction, I don't see how the middle portions of your roof would have that same thing, it would exclusively be the edges. Also considering it is raised in that area, kind of goes hand in hand with the risk of burning through raised areas usually. Could be the CF roof has less clear coat to compared to the painted pannels. But then again, I'm no pro (although I DIY everything detail wise) and you checked with others pros but you know.... sometimes pros suck Surprising the shop didn't mention anything either.

But yeah that sucks I can see how you aren't to sure with it
Appreciate 1
chris7197331.50
      05-11-2023, 03:28 PM   #17
diirk
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 X3MC BGM

Garage List
I would put PPF and ceramic on CF just for he additional UV protection.
15 Beetle Vert
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2023, 03:56 PM   #18
chris719
Major General
Rep

Quote:

I think this is a factory defect unfortunately, unless your guy polished the roof and somehow compromised the clear at the edges only, as TheMidnightNarwhal mentioned. It may have just shown itself coincidentally.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2023, 04:00 PM   #19
chris719
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanofbmwe46 View Post
I heard from one member who had some sort of chemical reaction happen to the clear coat of his CF roof which turned it milky white permanently.

Anyone else ever have issues ceramic coating their CF roof? Have any of you purposely avoided it? What brands/products should and shouldn’t be used up there?
Just as a second reply... I would definitely consider PPF. The carbon roofs are prone to delamination if the clear gets compromised by rock chips or lots of UV exposure. PPF is the best for protection against chips and UV. Ceramic coatings have UV inhibitors but they are incredibly thin and I highly doubt they will provide the same level of protection as PPF.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2023, 04:00 PM   #20
BIGW0RM
You got my money?
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [9.50]
Who knows what happened. I just know it didnt look like that before coating. Its a moot point now as I moved on over a year ago. But I wont be putting anything on my carbon roof just out of fear. Actually, I would PPF it. But thats about it now.
      05-11-2023, 04:10 PM   #21
allinon72
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20' M2C, 23' X1

Clearcoat was damaged in some way beforehand. Many stories of clear coat failures on these roofs. The coating soaked into the raw carbon and that's why it's milky, certainly not the fault of the product.
Appreciate 2
spazzz122.00
chris7197331.50
      05-11-2023, 04:15 PM   #22
MunkyTool
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 G80 Comp X-Drive

Garage List
Quote:
Maybe your expectations of a ceramic coating were to high? Not to shit on you but I do see similar comments from time to time from people who have had them. It's important to remember a ceramic coating isn't going to be a magic thing that keeps the car always clean or need to avoid cleaning the car or whatever. You need to view ceramic coating as pretty much just a wax/sealant that last much longer and has better chemical resistance. Like you still need to maintain wash it. And also it barely offers added scratch/chip resistance, that is indeed done by PPF.
"Not going to shit on you" but here's my condescending comment.

No, my expectations were realistic. Didn't expect any scratch or chip protection. The idea was to protect the car from elements and remove the need of a regular wax while still using my weekly wash process. Overall I found the gloss from CC wasn't anywhere near as good as a fresh normal wax from wash to wash. The water beading effects was nice but create more water spots in the long run due to concentrating the water/minerals in one bead. So when they did settle, as a result of not being able to polish or clay bar, are a lot more difficult to remove. Any chips, scratches or cosmetic issues you do want to fix with proper autobody techniques will require the CC coat to be reapplied on that panel. Overall I didn' feel it made anything better or easier.
Appreciate 0