BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

06-02-2022, 09:32 PM   #1
Sublime00
Banned
Rep
Drives: Car

GR Corolla first ride

2023 Toyota GR Corolla First Ride: It Has a Knack for the Track
The most powerful Corolla ever is going to be GReat.
Miguel CortinaWriterManufacturerPhotographerJun 2, 2022

The 2023 Toyota GR Corolla is one of the new cars we're most excited about this year. With its 300-hp turbocharged 1.6-liter three-cylinder engine, adjustable-torque-split all-wheel drive, and available trio of limited-slip differentials, the GR Corolla is the rare hot hatch capable of distracting us from the upcoming next-gen Honda Civic Type R. Though we've yet to drive the GR Corolla, we were given a taste of its capabilities at Eagles Canyon Raceway north of Dallas, Texas, with a professional hot shoe at the wheel—and we even got to ride in both a Circuit model and the newly announced Morizo Edition.

Available only as a hatchback, the GR Corolla is the third model under Toyota's Gazoo Racing division, following the GR86 and Supra sports cars to market. The 2023 Toyota GR Corolla is the first GR based on a regular Toyota model, and sees the Corolla hatch receive a thorough transformation bordering on the feral: A stiffer suspension and bigger brakes, a more rigid chassis with extra body welds, a triple-outlet exhaust, and a six-speed manual transmission. With Formula Drift drivers Jhonnattan Castro piloting the Morizo Edition and Ryan Tuerck at the wheel of the Circuit Edition, here's what we learned about how the GR Corolla behaves at the limit:
The GR Corolla Circuit Edition
Limited to the GR Corolla's launch model year, the Circuit Edition is packed with go-fast hardware, including front and rear Torsen mechanical limited slip differentials, a carbon fiber roof and hood, and an AWD system that can adjust the power split 60/40, 30/70 or 50/50 front-to-rear. Our car was set to the 50/50 configuration, which was specifically designed for track driving.

Eagles Canyon Raceway is an undulating, relatively low-speed track with few proper straightaways, and the out-and-back laps we were given nixed the main straight altogether, as the adjacent pit lane was used for staging our rides. Our driver, Ryan Tuerck, rolled into the throttle as we pulled out of the pits and immediately bore down on a 90-degree righthander. From the passenger's seat, we detected very little body roll hitting this corner—and subsequent squiggles—aggressively, and even though the tires squealed more than expected, they showed good grip despite being relatively cold at the start of our run. Power was delivered quickly, and the suspension felt firm but perhaps not as firm as the very buttoned-down Hyundai Kona N or Elantra N. Softer or otherwise, the GR Corolla nonetheless telegraphs its sportiness through the chassis.
Glancing over at the tachometer, we could see the engine speed climbing quickly as we shot between Eagles Canyon's corners, with the digital instrument cluster changing colors from white to orange to red to indicate when it was time to shift the six-speed manual. From behind the wheel, Tuerck noted that GR Corolla feels planted behind the wheel, and while it's easy to overdrive the tires, he agreed they are well suited for the car. Tuerck also said the third gear ratio is perhaps a bit too tall, but that's something you'd only notice at a racetrack.
The GR Corolla Morizo Edition
If you need a step above the GR Corolla, the Morizo Edition is the one to get. Named after Akio Toyoda's racing alter ego, "Morizo," the Morizo Edition deletes the rear seat and gets 22 lb-ft more torque from its turbo triple from some software tuning, for a total of 295 lb-ft of torque. The rear seat speakers, window lifts, and rear wiper and wiper motor are nixed, too. All in all, the Morizo is the leanest GR Corolla you can get, saving about 100 pounds compared to the Circuit Edition.

While an additional 22 lb-ft of torque doesn't sound like much (especially when you have close to 300 lb-ft), it made a big difference on the track. The GR Corolla Morizo felt like it put power down quicker while delivering more oomph. Perhaps it was a combination of a punchier engine and the Morizo's shorter-ratio gearbox, or even its Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 tires, but there was some extra anger in this GR Corolla, which will be limited in production but also will survive past the 2023 model year (unlike the Circuit Edition).
Or maybe it was Castro's abilities and sense of abandon behind the wheel, as the Dominican driver didn't leave anything on the table. With the stability and traction control systems disabled, Castro flew up and down the track's elevation changes and charged through its many bends with glee. Castro remarked that the GR Corolla Morizo Edition is easy to drive and predictable. The exhaust note is loud for a three-cylinder engine, and the glorious, guttural sound invaded the cabin every time Castro stepped on the gas.
We'll reserve our full judgement on the GR Corolla for when it arrives later this summer. In the meantime, we'll have to mix our right-seat feelings with mid-hot-lap remarks from Castro and Tuerck for an idea of how awesome the GR Corolla is. One thing is for sure: We the experience left us even more eager to get into the driver's seat ourselves.

https://www.motortrend.com/reviews/2...t-ride-review/
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2022, 10:02 PM   #2
kyriian
Captain
Rep
Drives: 06 Black Sapphire Z4MR

Garage List
2014 BMW X5  [0.00]
2011 Scion tC  [0.00]
Pretty much as expected from the people that brought the Yaris GR

And unobtainium now with the hype, dealer wanting excessively over MSRP, and likely limited production numbers
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2022, 09:51 AM   #3
Sublime00
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyriian View Post

And unobtainium now with the hype, dealer wanting excessively over MSRP, and likely limited production numbers
Agreed, the dealer upcharge ruins the purchase and ownership experience.
Appreciate 1
WolfGTI688.50
      06-03-2022, 10:39 AM   #4
OkieSnuffBox
Major
Rep
Drives: '13 135i

Quote:

Toyota has already stated they will keep the numbers artificially low to keep the "exclusivity." I won't be surprised to see $25k-30k markups on this car.

https://www.autoblog.com/2022/04/20/...mbers-limited/
Appreciate 2
Cos270608.50
AlexFL7833.00
      06-03-2022, 11:18 AM   #5
Equilibrandt
Auto/DCT Zealot
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3, Miata

Garage List
It's very odd to me that they'd do the 'lol limited production' thing.

Most people that own Corollas bought them for a cheap manual. How do you expect to capture that market and make them want to upgrade to the GR? I wonder how many people buy a 3 series but look longingly at an M340i and then eventually an M3?

Almost like they don't want their previous Corolla customers/lovers to get a GR Corolla. Trying to break into an entirely-different market?
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2022, 12:39 PM   #6
freakystyly
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F22 B58 6MT

Not really the same market of people IMO. The large majority of people interested in buying this car wouldn't be driving a base corolla.

The sales strategy is purely to create hype and prestige for the GR brand. They could sell every car they made if they wanted to.
Appreciate 1
      06-03-2022, 12:57 PM   #7
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Camaro SS 1LE

“Though we've yet to drive the GR Corolla”

So no.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2022, 01:14 PM   #8
OkieSnuffBox
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equilibrandt View Post

Most people that own Corollas bought them for a cheap manual. How do you expect to capture that market and make them want to upgrade to the GR? I wonder how many people buy a 3 series but look longingly at an M340i and then eventually an M3?

Almost like they don't want their previous Corolla customers/lovers to get a GR Corolla. Trying to break into an entirely-different market?
I seriously, seriously doubt the type of people who are buying regular Corolla's are in the market for something like this.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2022, 08:47 AM   #9
Sublime00
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkieSnuffBox View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Equilibrandt View Post

I seriously, seriously doubt the type of people who are buying regular Corolla's are in the market for something like this.
I agree with this. Regular Corolla / civic buyers aren't shopping for a GR Corolla.

Case in point we have a deposit on one and other cars that might be purchased in the next few years, depending on availability and pricing, are an m3 manual RWD, Supra manual, 718 Spyder, 911 GTS/GT3, e28, e24. Not saying all of these cars are getting purchased but if a good deal comes around they're all on the "cross shopping" list.

The GR isn't targeting the entry level car market and I don't think there are very many Corolla enthusiasts out there. It's targeting the Japanese sports car enthusiast market and those that appreciate the engineering that went into this car.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2022, 12:18 PM   #10
Donatello.
How's My Driving?
Rep
Drives: Hellcat & Miata

Let's see what they go for once the market corrects...

"BASE PRICE $40,000-$50,000" LOL NO THANKS!
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2022, 12:19 PM   #11
Donatello.
How's My Driving?
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sublime00 View Post
I agree with this. Regular Corolla / civic buyers aren't shopping for a GR Corolla.

Case in point we have a deposit on one and other cars that might be purchased in the next few years, depending on availability and pricing, are an m3 manual RWD, Supra manual, 718 Spyder, 911 GTS/GT3, e28, e24. Not saying all of these cars are getting purchased but if a good deal comes around they're all on the "cross shopping" list.

The GR isn't targeting the entry level car market and I don't think there are very many Corolla enthusiasts out there. It's targeting the Japanese sports car enthusiast market and those that appreciate the engineering that went into this car.
That is your list and you have a deposit on the GR? lol get one of the others...
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2022, 03:14 PM   #12
Sublime00
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donatello. View Post
Quote:

That is your list and you have a deposit on the GR? lol get one of the others...
We've had this back and forth on another thread.

If you don't understand the demand and hype behind this car, it's just not meant for you.
Appreciate 7
heavyD^23684.00
Burrcold5043.00
chris7197273.00
nicholasn261.00
Clark_Kent2208.00
      06-06-2022, 08:06 AM   #13
heavyD^2
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: X3M Competition

Quote:

If you don't understand the demand and hype behind this car, it's just not meant for you.
To be fair I can totally see the allure of this car flying over the head of a typical Hellcat owner.
Appreciate 5
Sublime001129.00
Burrcold5043.00
chris7197273.00
kyriian872.00
nicholasn261.00
      06-06-2022, 08:13 AM   #14
OkieSnuffBox
Major
Rep

Quote:

I honestly don't understand why he posts here. All he does is constantly talk about how every car he doesn't own sucks.
Appreciate 6
Sublime001129.00
Burrcold5043.00
RM72870.00
heavyD^23684.00
kyriian872.00
nicholasn261.00
      06-06-2022, 09:43 PM   #15
Donatello.
How's My Driving?
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyD^2 View Post
typical Hellcat owner.
Talk about being ignorant...
Appreciate 1
      06-06-2022, 09:44 PM   #16
Donatello.
How's My Driving?
Rep

Quote:

& if you can't understand why those other cars listed are clearly the ones to buy over a GR, they are not meant for you.
Appreciate 1
      06-06-2022, 11:04 PM   #17
Sublime00
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donatello. View Post
Quote:

& if you can't understand why those other cars listed are clearly the ones to buy over a GR, they are not meant for you.
Another zinger…classic Donatello.

I've never come across someone who hates the GR Corolla so much lol. It's hilarious, yet ridiculous.

What did Akio Toyoda do to you?
Appreciate 2
kyriian872.00
      06-07-2022, 02:17 PM   #18
kyriian
Captain
Rep
Drives: 06 Black Sapphire Z4MR

Garage List
2014 BMW X5  [0.00]
2011 Scion tC  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by OkieSnuffBox View Post
I honestly don't understand why he posts here. All he does is constantly talk about how every car he doesn't own sucks.
Classic forum troll.

I will return to the track, one day.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2022, 02:39 PM   #19
OkieSnuffBox
Major
Rep

Quote:
Classic forum troll.
And not even a good one.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2022, 05:57 PM   #20
Donatello.
How's My Driving?
Rep

Quote:
Another zinger…classic Donatello.

I've never come across someone who hates the GR Corolla so much lol. It's hilarious, yet ridiculous.

What did Akio Toyoda do to you?
ASSumption central.

I never said "hate"

It's not worth $40k+ IMO. It's that simple. You can keep being a badass all you want. You're on my ignore list now
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2022, 05:59 PM   #21
Donatello.
How's My Driving?
Rep

Quote:
Classic forum troll.
Because someone has a different opinion? lol get a clue
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2022, 07:38 AM   #22
AlpineBoost
Captain
Rep
Drives: '23 Civic Type R

Garage List
2023 Toyota GR Corolla Pricing Ranges from $36,995 to $50,995
  • Toyota has announced pricing for the 2023 GR Corolla hot hatchback.
  • It starts at $36,995 for the base Core model, $43,995 for the Circuit, and $50,995 for the Morizo Edition.
  • The Core will go on sale later this year, while the Circuit and Morizo won't arrive until next year.
https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a4...rolla-pricing/
Appreciate 1
Sublime001129.00