BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

03-13-2023, 01:00 PM   #1607
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Camaro SS 1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patton250 View Post
Yeah, until you need one. And there are none around.

Well yeah, but the 4 on the each side of an intersection still wouldnt do me any good then.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2023, 01:50 PM   #1608
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: as many as possible

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyriian View Post
I mean it is still 2023... so she is technically not wrong yet
Valid point and with the shape of things, it just might happen. Not from climate but from having our pants around our ankles.
#adultslol
      03-13-2023, 02:06 PM   #1609
chad86tsi
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M760i P60 Greyblack

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM7 View Post
Well yeah, but the 4 on the each side of an intersection still wouldnt do me any good then.
It's the result of a free market economy. None of those stations were subsidized by taxpayer funds, or forced upon anyone. And yet there they are, available to anyone who chooses to patronize them.

Freedom is sometimes an ugly thing. If you find this kind of freedom ugly, don't look.

It also points to a stark reality: if EV's made economic sense, there would be chargers everywhere, and they wouldn't need to be subsidized or forced on anyone.

Last edited by chad86tsi; 03-13-2023 at 02:32 PM..
Appreciate 2
kyriian883.50
Cos270608.50
      03-13-2023, 03:23 PM   #1610
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Camaro SS 1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad86tsi View Post
It's the result of a free market economy. None of those stations were subsidized by taxpayer funds, or forced upon anyone. And yet there they are, available to anyone who chooses to patronize them.

Freedom is sometimes an ugly thing. If you find this kind of freedom ugly, don't look.

It also points to a stark reality: if EV's made economic sense, there would be chargers everywhere, and they wouldn't need to be subsidized or forced on anyone.
Wait, your claiming the oil industry isn’t subsidized? BP, Conoco, etc.? Also, you think free market sets the price? Who can just decide to not use petrol?

And EVs and chargers are showing up in more and more places. I see more every trip i take.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2023, 03:28 PM   #1611
chad86tsi
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M760i P60 Greyblack

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM7 View Post
Wait, your claiming the oil industry isn’t subsidized? BP, Conoco, etc.? Also, you think free market sets the price? Who can just decide to not use petrol?

And EVs and chargers are showing up in more and more places. I see more every trip i take.
what gas stations are subsidized?
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2023, 03:29 PM   #1612
BGM-M3COMP
The Ben Shapiro of this place. I never lose! LOL
Rep
Drives: 12 plaids on order

Garage List
Yup they just built a 12 stall supercharger area by the shop rite 1 mile from my house last summer.

They built an 8 stall charge station 1.4 miles from my job.

And there’s a new gas station being built around the corner from my job too. So I guess ICE has a fighting chance. Except I asked one of the dudes that work there about tesla charge stations and he said, “yup!! That’s part of the blueprint too!”

Yay! More charge stations!
      03-13-2023, 03:50 PM   #1613
Patton250
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW X3,M5,Turbo S

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGM-M3COMP View Post
Yup they just built a 12 stall supercharger area by the shop rite 1 mile from my house last summer.

They built an 8 stall charge station 1.4 miles from my job.

And there’s a new gas station being built around the corner from my job too. So I guess ICE has a fighting chance. Except I asked one of the dudes that work there about tesla charge stations and he said, “yup!! That’s part of the blueprint too!”

Yay! More charge stations!
Both of those superchargers are worthless to you. Obviously you must have a super charger at your house so you don’t need the one that’s a mile from your home. If you don’t have a supercharger at home, please don’t tell me because I will be ruthless after knowing that. And what good is a supercharger 1.4 miles away from your job? You should have one AT your job. Every work is going to need one of these. Every hotel is going to need them. Every apartment complex and hotel and work place is going to need one charger for every parking spot they have. This is what is going to be needed unless they can get charging to 100% in under five minutes at gas station type charging stations. And even if they do that, they have a ton of freaking gas station type charging stations to build. Like 10’s of thousands of them. If they can accomplish that it’s game over for ice. Except for enthusiast of course. If they can’t do that this entire conversation is laughable, and I’m sticking with my original belief that electric vehicles are nothing more than upper middle class toys to brag about how green they are at neighborhood parties.
Appreciate 3
chad86tsi1605.00
MmmmmM22588.50
      03-13-2023, 03:53 PM   #1614
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

Quote:
Both of those superchargers are worthless to you. Obviously you must have a super charger at your house so you don’t need the one that’s a mile from your home. If you don’t have a supercharger at home, please don’t tell me because I will be ruthless after knowing that. And what good is a supercharger 1.4 miles away from your job? You should have one AT your job. Every work is going to need one of these. Every hotel is going to need them. Every apartment complex and hotel and work place is going to need one charger for every parking spot they have. This is what is going to be needed unless they can get charging to 100% in under five minutes at gas station type charging stations. And even if they do that, they have a ton of freaking gas station type charging stations to build. Like 10’s of thousands of them. If they can accomplish that it’s game over for ice. Except for enthusiast of course. If they can’t do that this entire conversation is laughable, and I’m sticking with my original belief that electric vehicles are nothing more than upper middle class toys to brag about how green they are at neighborhood parties.
This has been my point from day one. So yeah you will see a huge uptick in EV adoption then hit a wall with these people who cannot home charge refusing to switch.
Appreciate 3
chad86tsi1605.00
Patton2502939.50
      03-13-2023, 04:55 PM   #1615
BGM-M3COMP
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

Slow down cowboy. It's hilarious watching you get excited.

I was just pointing out that more of these charge stations (and that's just the tesla network) is expanding more and more each day. You're saying they need to have them everywhere like gas stations. Well they are building them. It's not like they're not. Just because you're not hearing about them, doesn't mean they're not already in process.

I'm not bragging about how green owning an EV is. In fact i would probably agree that you guys might be right that it's worse for the environment. I never challenged any of you guys theories about this. Maybe you are 100% right about all that.

But i love the EV concept. And i love my tesla so it's a win win for me.
      03-13-2023, 05:01 PM   #1616
Patton250
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Slow down cowboy. It's hilarious watching you get excited.

I was just pointing out that more of these charge stations (and that's just the tesla network) is expanding more and more each day. You're saying they need to have them everywhere like gas stations. Well they are building them. It's not like they're not. Just because you're not hearing about them, doesn't mean they're not already in process.

I'm not bragging about how green owning an EV is. In fact i would probably agree that you guys might be right that it's worse for the environment. I never challenged any of you guys theories about this. Maybe you are 100% right about all that.

But i love the EV concept. And i love my tesla so it's a win win for me.
Cowboy? Excited? You must’ve needed to say that because my point was valid. Until they get less than five minute charging, it’s pointless building these stations like gas stations. They need to be at everyone’s home, apartment complex, and work. It also wouldn’t hurt to have them everywhere a car can park.
Appreciate 1
      03-13-2023, 05:07 PM   #1617
Murf the Surf
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993

Quote:
Cowboy? Excited? You must’ve needed to say that because my point was valid. Until they get less than five minute charging, it’s pointless building these stations like gas stations. They need to be at everyone’s home, apartment complex, and work. It also wouldn’t hurt to have them everywhere a car can park.
I get pissy when I arrive at the gas station and there isn't one pump available. If I had to wait for two or three or more cars to charge for 30 minutes plus I'd be taking hostages......might be the rum talking.
Appreciate 4
Patton2502939.50
KRS_SN13513.50
chad86tsi1605.00
MmmmmM22588.50
      03-13-2023, 05:27 PM   #1618
Patton250
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf the Surf View Post
I get pissy when I arrive at the gas station and there isn't one pump available. If I had to wait for two or three or more cars to charge for 30 minutes plus I'd be taking hostages......might be the rum talking.
Exactly brother. Who knows though maybe they’ll figure out a way to charge a car to 100% in less than five minutes. If that happens, it will fix most of the problem.
Appreciate 2
chad86tsi1605.00
      03-13-2023, 05:30 PM   #1619
Murf the Surf
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993

Quote:
Exactly brother. Who knows though maybe they’ll figure out a way to charge a car to 100% in less than five minutes. If that happens, it will fix most of the problem.
Can you imagine the incidents of "charger rage"?
Appreciate 2
KRS_SN13513.50
Patton2502939.50
      03-13-2023, 05:43 PM   #1620
BGM-M3COMP
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Thing is, it's already working for A LOT of people now, without all the stuff you're mentioning. The only valid point you might have is that it might or might not be worse for the environment. I couldn't give a shit less about the environment so i never do the research. Maybe you're right about that. Everything else, not really.

EV sales are on the rise. That's why more and more are being built. Models are turning into hybrid which would inevitably turn into full EV.
      03-13-2023, 05:58 PM   #1621
Patton250
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Thing is, it's already working for A LOT of people now, without all the stuff you're mentioning. The only valid point you might have is that it might or might not be worse for the environment. I couldn't give a shit less about the environment so i never do the research. Maybe you're right about that. Everything else, not really.

EV sales are on the rise. That's why more and more are being built. Models are turning into hybrid which would inevitably turn into full EV.
I agree with you on the environment, but that’s not what we are discussing here. I have also said that the only reason why they are building more EVs is because of mandates by governments. You don’t seem to have a problem with that but many of us on this thread do. Get world governments to back off, and EV’s would disappear into the night other than novelty fun and “proof Im woke” , EV’s like Tesla. I have told you in this thread and others that I like Elon musk and I like his company Tesla. I think the whole idea is cool and I love competition. I do think his current lineup of cars are ugly but that’s very subjective and I am obviously in the minority on this. I love the look of the G80 and most people here hate them. So there you go. What we are primarily discussing here is that the infrastructure and the practicality of electric vehicles does not favor good conditions for the consumer in the near future. Those things could change rapidly with better charging times, less than five minutes, and or chargers everywhere a car could park. But as I said before, and I’ll keep saying it, none of this would be a discussion if this technology wasn’t being legislated.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2023, 05:59 PM   #1622
Patton250
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Brother, I bet that’s already happening. I suspect the smart people who own electric vehicles only use them to commute to work and can charge them every night when they get home. I can see a very good use for them today under those conditions.
Appreciate 1
      03-13-2023, 06:05 PM   #1623
BGM-M3COMP
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I agree with you on the environment, but that’s not what we are discussing here. I have also said that the only reason why they are building more EVs is because of mandates by governments. You don’t seem to have a problem with that but many of us on this thread do. Get world governments to back off, and EV’s would disappear into the night other than novelty fun and “proof Im woke” , EV’s like Tesla. I have told you in this thread and others that I like Elon musk and I like his company Tesla. I think the whole idea is cool and I love competition. I do think his current lineup of cars are ugly but that’s very subjective and I am obviously in the minority on this. I love the look of the G80 and most people here hate them. So there you go. What we are primarily discussing here is that the infrastructure and the practicality of electric vehicles does not favor good conditions for the consumer in the near future. Those things could change rapidly with better charging times, less than five minutes, and or chargers everywhere a car could park. But as I said before, and I’ll keep saying it, none of this would be a discussion if this technology wasn’t being legislated.

Again i am not disagreeing with all that. I even said it months and months ago it's not right the government is "forcing" this upon us. I said it should transition into it. You can search my posts and find that i said this.

I do get a kick out of watching you guys get mad though about this. That i'll admit lol. But again i love ICE just as much as you. But i also love EV. It WILL get better is all i'm saying.

Think about it this way. Do you know how difficult it is to just "dump" that much energy into the battery pack of an EV in 5 minutes? You don't just introduce that much energy into a battery like that. That's why you precondition the battery before a charge on a cold day/night. There is so much to it that just plugging into a car and wanting it to be done in 5 minutes. Again we will get there soon enough. You guys can't just want this now or claim it a failure. Look at how far EV has come in the past 5-10 years.

Or in simple terms, how come you charge your iphone or android from 20-100% or even 20-80% in 5 minutes? And that's just using your standard house outlet into a small battery pack in a phone.

Btw the model s is tesla's best looking car. Not a fan of the X although i would probably pick that over the Y. The model 3 is a fun little toy.
      03-13-2023, 06:07 PM   #1624
BGM-M3COMP
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Brother, I bet that’s already happening. I suspect the smart people who own electric vehicles only use them to commute to work and can charge them every night when they get home. I can see a very good use for them today under those conditions.
But how do you know though if you don't have a tesla?

You're not visiting these stations to conclude to that.

I don't even visit a supercharger often since my GF has level 2 at her house. I never ever encounter any rage at a supercharger. Maybe in cali because it's so congested there and everyone has a tesla. By me, all i get are waves from other tesla drivers.

It's all different mang. I know you hate this but give it time.
      03-13-2023, 06:09 PM   #1625
Patton250
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Again i am not disagreeing with all that. I even said it months and months ago it's not right the government is "forcing" this upon us. I said it should transition into it. You can search my posts and find that i said this.

I do get a kick out of watching you guys get mad though about this. That i'll admit lol. But again i love ICE just as much as you. But i also love EV. It WILL get better is all i'm saying.

Think about it this way. Do you know how difficult it is to just "dump" that much energy into the battery pack of an EV in 5 minutes? You don't just introduce that much energy into a battery like that. That's why you precondition the battery before a charge on a cold day/night. There is so much to it that just plugging into a car and wanting it to be done in 5 minutes. Again we will get there soon enough. You guys can't just want this now or claim it a failure. Look at how far EV has come in the past 5-10 years.

Or in simple terms, how come you charge your iphone or android from 20-100% or even 20-80% in 5 minutes? And that's just using your standard house outlet into a small battery pack in a phone.

Btw the model s is tesla's best looking car. Not a fan of the X although i would probably pick that over the Y. The model 3 is a fun little toy.
I understand battery charging and its limitations. That doesn’t mean they can’t improve upon that significantly in the near future. They had better otherwise, all of this is a moot point. It’s essential they figure that out.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2023, 06:11 PM   #1626
Patton250
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
But how do you know though if you don't have a tesla?

You're not visiting these stations to conclude to that.

I don't even visit a supercharger often since my GF has level 2 at her house. I never ever encounter any rage at a supercharger. Maybe in cali because it's so congested there and everyone has a tesla. By me, all i get are waves from other tesla drivers.

It's all different mang. I know you hate this but give it time.
You’re absolutely right. I don’t know. It’s just that common sense tells me this is probably a huge problem. It’s not really a problem for those people who have chargers at their house and an ICE car for longer trips. However, people who live in apartments that buy an electric vehicle as their only car are probably running into problems. It logically makes sense.
Appreciate 1
      03-13-2023, 06:23 PM   #1627
KRS_SN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: IX,G07

Garage List
2020 X7  [10.00]
X5  [8.50]
IX  [8.00]
Quote:
exchange twitter handles... head back to their teslas.... fight each other on twitter
Appreciate 2
Patton2502939.50
      03-13-2023, 06:26 PM   #1628
BGM-M3COMP
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I understand battery charging and its limitations. That doesn’t mean they can’t improve upon that significantly in the near future. They had better otherwise, all of this is a moot point. It’s essential they figure that out.
I strongly believe it will. It's hard to gauge the progress in real time.

It's like anything that requires significant change. If a person is trying to lose weight you can't see it day by day. Stop seeing that person for a whole year, then you'll see the difference.

I know people hate EV's and that's fine. If we give it a chance it can co-exist with ICE like it's happening now.

Idk why people can't like both.