BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BMW 5-Series (E60) Forums (2004 - 2009) > General 5-series and M5 (E60) Forum

08-27-2020, 09:20 AM   #1
e91Owner
e91Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e91 & 2010 e60

After the lift closed that I use due to COVID,
I decided to try something new... sort of a power bleed with the electric pump. When it works swimmingly on my E90, I found the same worked on my N52 E60.

1) disconnected the return hose from the expansion tank.
2) unclipped return hose from top of radiator. I removed the top cover for access, but this is not necessary—gives you about 3 feet of play.
3) filled expansion tank to max with 50/50 mix and started the venting procedure in the normal fashion.
4) kept tank full with 50/50 mix until the return was blue (had to restart the water pump once. It seemed to stop cycling after a gallon).
5) turned off car to stop pump cycling.
6) reattached hose to tank
7) repeated vent procedure

No air gets in the system this way, so although I repeated the venting procedure, I don't think it was necessary. I used 3 gallons of 50/50 Valvoline G-48 mix. Cheaper than making 3 gallons of OEM mix and is BMW approved. I used a transmission filler to keep the expansion tank full as the pump was cycling so I could see the level. If I was going to do it over again, I would have capped the return port on the tank and used my spill free radiator funnel to keep it full so I wouldn't have had to keep an eye on it so closely. My previous fill was with HT-12, so it was very easy to see when the fluid changed from green to blue. HT-12/G-48 are miscible per BMW TIS.

Pic is from my e90, but gives you general idea. All in all, took 30 mins. Super easy, super clean.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0