BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

01-07-2009, 09:15 PM   #1
bmstyle71
Captain
Rep
Drives: jet black e92 m3

Any electic engineers here/electricians/electric knowledgable peeps?Need help

I don't wanna blow myself up so I'm asking for help. I bought an eclectic winch for my cargo van. It's 12v and says that when pulling 1500lbs it uses 28amps of power. I connected it to the battery terminal and it works fine (obviously the van is on when operating it). My question is: Can I use a cigarette lighter 12v plug (not the actual cigarette lighter, the piece you put in it that's attached to your gps or whatever) if I rewire it with the right gauge wire for the winch? In other words, I will get the cigarette lighter plug, remove the original wires from it, solder the right gauge wire that came with the winch and plug it in. Would that work? Or is there a limit to the output of the cigarette lighter that does not match the van's battery? Remember it's a 12v winch which at it's peak uses 28amps.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2009, 09:30 PM   #2
Richwm
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 E90 330i 6MT, 01 E46 330i

Garage List
My guess would be no most cigarette lighters are 10 -15 amps but you should check the fuse apperage for the lighter.
Mar 05 Build date,2006 E90 330i, Sport Package, Premium Package, TR MT-1's . V-1 Hard-wired power with custom V-1 Concealment Display . Rear fogs, Rear power outlet's, M short shifter knob, BlackLines, BMW Strut tower bar, CDV Delete, Front M3 wishbones + tension struts, BMW Performance shocks and springs, BMW Performance Brake kit F&R, OEM short shift kit. Rear M3 Guide rods and Wishbones.
2006 E-90 330i with 302,000 miles.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2009, 10:06 PM   #3
RonJon
Private
Rep
Drives: 2000 323i

I dont completely understand all of your question.

Dont use the power that's actually comming from the cig lighter its probably protect to about 10 amps, which means the first time you go to use the wench and draw more then 10 amps the fuse will blow and kill the circuit. And DONT use the cig lighter socket to supply 28Amps, the socket may or may not provide good contact surface to supply the voltage, if the contact surface is reduced then you run the risk of overheating at the cig light socket (the male-female contact point inside the cig lighter).

Are you doing this so you have a nice easy plug and play operation? If so then you're better off using a normal three (or two) prong 115V common plug, you can get it faily cheap and it will easily carry the 28A.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2009, 10:26 PM   #4
bmstyle71
Captain
Rep
Drives: jet black e92 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonJon View Post
Are you doing this so you have a nice easy plug and play operation? If so then you're better off using a normal three (or two) prong 115V common plug, you can get it faily cheap and it will easily carry the 28A.
Yes and to shorten the length of the wire required to reach the battery vs the cig lighter socket.

Thanks for the reply guys. Looks like I'll just extend the wires with the correct gauge and hook it up to the car battery.
Appreciate 0