BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BMW 5-Series (E60) Forums (2004 - 2009) > General 5-series and M5 (E60) Forum

05-26-2012, 05:13 PM   #1
Chihuahua
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E30 329iS, E65 Alpina B7

Just got an E60, have a/c question

Just picked up an immaculate 04 530i today. I'm new to E60s but not BMW. I love the car, but have one a/c related question. I posted this question on bf.c but didn't get much response.

I've noticed that the A/C compressor refuses to engage and start cooling until the engine is up to temperature and the cooling fan starts spinning. As soon as the fan starts spinning, I can hear the compressor clutch engage and I get non-stop ice cold air for as long as I need it.

Refrigerant level was checked and (supposedly) is OK. seeing as how I get ice cold air, I don't think that's a problem. Is there a relay somewhere that is supposed to engage the fan whenever A/C is called for, ala the old 'aux fan relay' from the older cars? still don't have my E60 bentley manual so if there is one I wouldn't know where to look.

I have had more than one person tell me that this is 'normal' behavior for the car; if it is then I'll stop looking for a problem.

Hoping for some input, glad to be on the forum and finally have an E60. It's my favorite of all the Chris Bangle cars.

cheers!
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2012, 08:51 AM   #2
RsiaSMG
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 530i E60 SMG

I Just Bought My 2007 530i E60 And Had The Same Thoughts, I Called And They Did Say It Was Normal For The Car, I Also Have Ice Cold Air Once Engine Is Up To Temp N Running. Dealer Said Not To Worry About It, As Long As Its Ice Cold For Me I Will Just Enjoy The Coolness
      05-29-2012, 09:25 AM   #3
mishka69
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 2008 E60 535i

BMW have temperature sensor which detect temperature outside.
ALso you have to make sure your I-Drive climate setting setup correctly.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2012, 01:20 PM   #4
Chihuahua
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E30 329iS, E65 Alpina B7

Cool, thanks for the responses. I did go into iDrive to make sure my vent settings were all the way blue. I've also noticed that it only happens if I let the car sit for more than a day or so. If I park it at night, the next morning I have cold A/C right away. I won't worry about it since it's giving me cold air and I'm not the only one to have noticed this quirk.

I've also noticed that my DISA valve seems to keep buzzing for 2 to 3 minutes AFTER I turn the car off. I need to check the service records that I have, but I think the dealer replaced the DISA valve for the previous owner last year. I'm wondering if this is another 'they all do that' thing or if I need to order a new DISA valve.

Thanks again for the responses.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2012, 10:21 AM   #5
josebmw
Private
Rep
Drives: 08 335i sedan

a/c

SITUATION
The customer states that when starting the vehicle after the vehicle is parked (for a few hours to as much as overnight), there is a noticeable delay (more than 2 minutes) in the startup (cooling) of the air conditioning system. No cold air is felt from the vents for as long as 10 minutes. The blower motor and IHKA (Integrated Heating and Air Conditioner) operate normally. Once the system starts to cool, operation and performance are normal.
CAUSE
A/C compressor
service bulletin 64 10 07
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2012, 10:23 AM   #6
josebmw
Private
Rep
Drives: 08 335i sedan

a/c

2. Temperature and blower control
a.Blower profiles

◦On E60, E61 (5 Series), E63, 64 (6 Series), and E90, E91, E92, E93 (3 Series); the profiles "soft", "medium" and "high" can be accessed through the iDrive menu on vehicles equipped with CCC (Car Communication Computer), CHAMP (Central Head Unit and Multimedia Platform) and MASK (Multi Audio System Controller) to allow the blower settings to be individually programmed. These profiles are only effective in "AUTO" mode. Excessively soft or high blower intensity can be controlled here, allowing comfort to be individually adapted. The customer should definitely be made aware of this setting when the vehicle is sold. In the event of such a customer complaint, check whether the customer complaint can be rectified by resetting the profile or by adjusting the ventilation grille before performing a repair.

b.Temperature differences

◦Temperature differences from the center vents to outer air vents are to a certain degree normal even if all temperature settings are the same.

◦Temperature differences between the footwell vents and center vents depend on temperature setting in the center vents (stratification). The airflow to the footwell will in general be slightly warmer while airflow to the center vents will be generally slightly cooler.

◦Note: on E6x vehicles, stratification can only be programmed in the CID (Central Information Display). On all other vehicles it is programmed (if fitted) with a thumbwheel next to the center air vents. This setting can be freely selected (blue = cooler, white = neutral, red = warmer) and directly influences the heating/cooling output available in the interior.

3. Insufficient heating and cooling output
Note: Maximum heating and cooling output can only be achieved on vehicles with proper stratification (settings of center vents set properly. See note in section 2(b) of this service information or if "MAX" A/C is active for maximum cooling.
•To achieve maximum cooling from the air-conditioning system, it is not enough to simply set the temperature to minimum (60°F). In this case, stratification must also be set to "blue" (cold). Air recirculation can also be temporarily selected to intensify cooling. Alternatively, the "MAX" A/C button can be activated. Activating the "MAX" A/C function automatically sets the temperature to minimum, stratification to cold, blower speed to maximum and the air recirculation to active. The activation of the air recirculation can be heard.

•Depending on the outside temperature and the refrigerant pressure, the air-conditioning system will automatically shut down when the outside temperature drops below a certain level (approximately 32°F – 44°F). This is necessary to prevent the evaporator from icing up and resulting in reduced air output.

•If maximum heating is required, proceed accordingly. Set the temperature to maximum, stratification to "red" (warm) and, if necessary, air recirculation to active. Of course the vehicle can only be heated if the coolant temperature is sufficiently high.
Appreciate 0