BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

12-15-2005, 01:10 AM   #1
E90-4life
auto pilot
Rep
Drives: E60 M5 chilln on slicks

What happend to the 21st century...???

Watching the Donny Deutsch show, he's interviewing all the fired apprentices(from season 3) as well as Bill form season one, and Carolyn and George(gotta love em'!) in anticipation of the 3rd apprentice being announced tom. night. As they narrowed down to the end of the program they started talking about who's the fav. to win(Randall), and the first thing Donny mentions is the fact that he would be the first "Black" apprentice to win, unconciously in my mind I acknowledged this fact, then one of the fired contestants, Ronda(whom also happens to be black), raises her hand and says, "Randall has 5 degrees and a PhD, he's obviously more than qualified for the position(those aforementioned traits being the most important and only relevant to the competition), but yet we forget all of those things and can't make it past the fact that he's 'black'". I was really taken aback, as I didn't even catch on to that, but it's sad that a man can't get the proper recognition he deserves for his achievements, but instead the color of his skin. To say the least, Donnie acknowledged his mistake and the show went on, w/ out so careless a glitch. I've never understood the positives in pigeon-holing... but that's just me?
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2005, 01:33 AM   #2
ward
Major General
Rep
Drives: F

for you to downplay the signifigance of the first black apprentice is like saying Jackie Robinson wasn't that important.

We need to recognize accomplishments of all cultures
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2005, 01:39 AM   #3
RedStripe
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i

Garage List
2006 BMW 325i  [0.00]
I'm sure this is a serious subject.... but I can't believe there hasn't been more jokes made about this specific phenomenon on the Apprentice.

To preface, I watched the first season of the Apprentice, and I thought it was great. Really enjoyed it. I haven't watched it since b/c I knew after the first season, you get whack jobs as contestants just looking for their 15 minutes. I always thought the first season had more genuine people. Everyone else after is jaded from the show. Anyways, so I have no clue what you are talking about for this current season. However, for the first two seasons in the final competition, the lone black male of the contestants had made it to the Finals, and both times had lost. The first time it was Kwame, and I don't know the name of the 2nd Season guy.

But the craziest thing about the second season Black guy who lost (I did catch a little bit of the final episode, so this is how I know), the reason Trump didn't like him is because he said he was "too qualified". Trump said he had too many degrees, too much schooling (the guy went to Wharton if I recall correctly), etc.. and I guess Trump was trying to say the guy really didn't know what he wanted b/c of all this, and for this perceived "lack of focus", the other female contestant won.

Now, I'm not Chris Rock, but even I saw the blatant unintentional comedy in the "too qualified, over schooled" reasoning Trump gave. Seriously?!? Could that have been the first black man in America do be denied for being over qualified and having too good of an academic background? Moreover, Kwame was the man in the first Season. He was HBS and Goldman (though he was only from the Asset Management part), and he lost! And Trump didn't even have a good answer. He just went with his "gut". Are you kidding me? I can't believe more hasn't been made about this. And now you're telling me it might happen 3 times in a row. Maybe Trump is secretly racist.... but that just doesn't seem to be in his character. But what do I know.

Where's my big piece of chicken??!?!?!?!?!
It's the Media!!!!!!!
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2005, 10:15 PM   #4
E90-4life
auto pilot
Rep
Drives: E60 M5 chilln on slicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by ward
for you to downplay the signifigance of the first black apprentice is like saying Jackie Robinson wasn't that important.

How on earth am I downplaying it? It's the topic of discussion my friend. We differ in the belief of the topics relevance. The idea and concept of culture on some level is idiotic. The more we create differences and divides, the worse relations become between people. Unfortunately, not every disease can be cured.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2005, 10:17 AM   #5
MCS
e90 newbie
Rep
Drives: 2012 M3 E93

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Dude, Kwame lost because of the final assignment.

Hiring decision "from the gut" is what everyone does. If you have 2 candidates that are both qualified from experience, training, and skills. You then look to the soft side of things. ie. "Do I want to work with this guy/girl on a regular basis" and try to judge the best fit into your organization. You get the person in front of enough people that he/she will interact with and ask them to rank the candidate.

Interpersonal skills count for a lot

I don't believe Trump is racist.

Also, Goldman Sachs Asset Management is a huge part of the business. GSAM advises pension, hedge funds and multi millionaire & billionaires. It's not your corner Schwab office.
      12-17-2005, 11:27 AM   #6
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E70 & 2011 F25

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ward

Oh please. Why not just recognize the accomplishments of PEOPLE? This shit creates more rift and racism than anything else. And it is completely one sided. Have you ever seen a promo for the "White Music Awards"?

I've lived around all creeds, races, and types of people and my conclusion is that there are great people and assholes among all. The more we artificially (and yes it is artificial) recognize these achievements associated to a race or gender, the more we errode any progress that has been made.

I think it is bad luck to be superstitious

Last edited by LEDZEP; 12-17-2005 at 04:33 PM..
Appreciate 0