BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BMW 5-Series (E60) Forums (2004 - 2009) > General 5-series and M5 (E60) Forum

10-11-2020, 03:50 PM   #1
Kaikun
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 535i

535i N54 Smoking problem

Hello everyone,

So I've doing research about it but I wanna get some replies with my situation to narrow it more down for me.

I recently just replaced my turbos due to worn turbo seals and it was originally blowing smoke on deceleration. I have been driving it the past couple of days with the new turbos(OEM). I was getting on the freeway but the car started acting funny so I exited right away and pulled over to realize I was covered in smoke. Worse than before. My coolant and oil temps all seemed to be ok. No leaks under the car but the car was blowing crazy white smoke on idle and when I would rev it.

I let the car sit overnight. Checked oil cap and filter, Oil is clean. I checked the coolant reservoir, it did go down but not empty or anything wild, and it still looked clear and blue. I started the car up on a cold start and it started smoking right away from around the turbo area and out the exhaust. Same color smoke and it smelt like burned oil.

I also have no check engine lights or codes to base anything off of. Just the smoke and I would also occasionally hear a weird noise coming from the turbos. Like a turbo whistle or whine of some sort.

My guess is that the turbo seals just went out again due to the fact that I am running MHD stage 2 with catless downpipes, chargepipe, and intake. Maybe the turbos didn't break in enough and the fact that the tune is pushing upwards of 17psi.

The other possibilities that I have read have been a failing pcv system or bad injectors. I did replace my valve cover not too long ago with a cheap valve cover so I wouldn't be surprised that the pcv system inside the valve cover is crap. I do have index 11 injectors that have been on the car for the past two years I owned the car but they haven't given me any major issues.

If anyone has anymore info they can give me possibly just to narrow down my thoughts on what is going on with my situation. That would help a lot.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2020, 09:34 PM   #2
E92William
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 328xi

Garage List
2008 BMW 328xi  [0.00]
Highly suggest posting on the N54 section of the e90 forum. This e60 section is a bit of a mess as of now
Appreciate 0