BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

12-16-2020, 08:38 AM   #1
Kolyan2k
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2006 S2000

Racedeck reviews?

There was a thread on garage flooring but I can't find it. I spoke with contractor to do regular tile and he said its gonna cost me a fortune. I spoke with 2 guys that do epoxy and they said it can't be done in my garage because concrete floor is too damaged and I need to remove all existing concrete, pour new in and only after that epoxy can be done (thats like $10-15k project). My last thought is those racedeck free flow tiles. Maybe level current concrete a little and put those tiles? How do you get all the dirt out from underneath with all the salt and snow etc.?
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2020, 08:52 AM   #2
spazzyfry123
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Here and There

Garage List
Calling lsturbointeg
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2020, 09:38 AM   #3
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

I had Racedeck for years and I don't think I'd do it again. Yes, it's easy to lay down and you can take it with you when you ever move. However, upkeep to keep it looking nice is what made it a chore for me. Also, in the wetter months or after washing cars, water would accumulate and remain under the tiles, making the garage floor absolutely filthy by the time I removed them.

It's epoxy for me going forward.
Appreciate 1
      12-16-2020, 09:48 AM   #4
DDD31
Captain
Rep
Drives: 24 M3CS, 95 E320, 85 300CD

I've had the Racedeck Free Flow tiles in my garage going on 2 years now and living in Michigan we have plenty of snow and salt to deal with in the garage. Come spring time, I just use a mop to clean the tiles and don't even bother with what is underneath since you hardly see the concrete underneath the tiles. Very happy with the product and highly recommend it.

Name:  IMG_0077_50_1_50.jpeg
Views: 3096
Size:  345.1 KB

2021 MBB M5C (retired) 2018 Daytona Violet M3 ZCP (retired), 2016 AW 550i (retired)
2013 EBII 335i (retired), 2008 Platinum Bronze 535xi (retired), 2007 Monaco Blue 335i (retired)
1999 Hellrot M3 coupe (retired)
Appreciate 3
      12-16-2020, 11:04 AM   #5
essejM3
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3

Here is the thread I think you were referring to?

https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1743614
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2020, 11:20 AM   #6
tdott
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

+1 for Swisstrax

I work in my garage, and prefer it over epoxy.
Appreciate 1
      12-16-2020, 02:08 PM   #7
bvrider1
Captain
Rep
Drives: e90 m3 + f80 zcp

Tell me more about that sweet lift! Make ,Model, etc...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdott View Post
+1 for Swisstrax

Appreciate 0
      12-16-2020, 02:34 PM   #8
eforty6_m3
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '05 M3 6MT

Garage List
2005 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdott View Post
+1 for Swisstrax

I second Swisstrax:

Hides dirt and dust so well and very durable. If you end up going this route, PM before you order!

'05 BMW M3 6MT (Weekend car)
Need to stock up on some detailing products or spiff up your garage, then use my Obsessed Garage link!
Appreciate 1
94jedi829.00
      12-16-2020, 03:26 PM   #9
eljay
Colonel
Rep
Drives: ///M + E91

I'll go against the grain and suggest porcelain tile. I've researched options on GarageJournal forum and selected the tile as the best one for me.

RaceDeck and Swisstrax were both the same cost per sqft as my tiles installed. What I didn't like about those options is the maintenance: having to either pull out the whole floor and clean the concrete once a year and I wanted to prevent deterioration of my concrete by having salt and water sit under the tile until I have a chance to pull them up and clean underneath.

After doing my rear brakes recently on another car, the clean up of dropped grease and sprayed FluidFilm was a wipe down of the tiles. In the past, I'd run for a can of brake cleaner before it would soak into the concrete - something RaceDeck tile wouldn't prevent. There are solid tiles too, which solve a lot of what I described, but for me the porcelain outperformed those options.

Appreciate 5
P111554.00
3798j11303.50
Buug95917118.50
      12-16-2020, 03:38 PM   #10
9M71
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 | 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljay View Post
I'll go against the grain and suggest porcelain tile. I've researched options on GarageJournal forum and selected the tile as the best one for me.

RaceDeck and Swisstrax were both the same cost per sqft as my tiles installed. What I didn't like about those options is the maintenance: having to either pull out the whole floor and clean the concrete once a year and I wanted to prevent deterioration of my concrete by having salt and water sit under the tile until I have a chance to pull them up and clean underneath.

After doing my rear brakes recently on another car, the clean up of dropped grease and sprayed FluidFilm was a wipe down of the tiles. In the past, I'd run for a can of brake cleaner before it would soak into the concrete - something RaceDeck tile wouldn't prevent. There are solid tiles too, which solve a lot of what I described, but for me the porcelain outperformed those options.
The porcelain tile looks amazing. I have swisstrax now but we're moving soon to a home with a bigger garage and am debating whether to do swisstrax again or get some sort of heavy duty tile, mainly to make the clean up easier.

Couple of questions - (1) did they need to lay some sort of membrane under the porcelain, (2) will the strength hold up to falling tools/car parts crashing down. The swisstrax is nice in that in the event it does get damaged (and usually its not more than a tiny indent), its easy to pull out the tile and replace. Lastly, (3) how well does it hold up to scratches and dragging your quickjack across it? The quickjack literally glides over the swisstrax as if its on ice, which is really nice. I would hate for it to damage the tile as it gets moved around the garage.

Regarding the initial question from OP - i like my swisstrax a lot. Clean up as mentioned by others is probably its weakest point (and also a benefit). A lot of the dirt hides under the tile so you dont need to immediately need to sweep. However you do need to do an annual intensive cleaning where you rip the tiles out... unless you have one of those insanely high HP shop vacs that can grab the dirt from underneath. I have a decent sized shop vac for prosumer use but it is still not strong enough to grab all the dirt/pebbles that make its way under the tiles.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2020, 04:29 PM   #11
eljay
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9M71 View Post
Quote:

The porcelain tile looks amazing. I have swisstrax now but we're moving soon to a home with a bigger garage and am debating whether to do swisstrax again or get some sort of heavy duty tile, mainly to make the clean up easier.

Couple of questions - (1) did they need to lay some sort of membrane under the porcelain, (2) will the strength hold up to falling tools/car parts crashing down. The swisstrax is nice in that in the event it does get damaged (and usually its not more than a tiny indent), its easy to pull out the tile and replace. Lastly, (3) how well does it hold up to scratches and dragging your quickjack across it? The quickjack literally glides over the swisstrax as if its on ice, which is really nice. I would hate for it to damage the tile as it gets moved around the garage.

Regarding the initial question from OP - i like my swisstrax a lot. Clean up as mentioned by others is probably its weakest point (and also a benefit). A lot of the dirt hides under the tile so you dont need to immediately need to sweep. However you do need to do an annual intensive cleaning where you rip the tiles out... unless you have one of those insanely high HP shop vacs that can grab the dirt from underneath. I have a decent sized shop vac for prosumer use but it is still not strong enough to grab all the dirt/pebbles that make its way under the tiles.
This link should have all the answers:
https://allgaragefloors.com/porcelai...80%93%20really!

Porcelain tile is used in many commercial setting including service bays / garages.
The key is to select one that is rated for its intended use. So, PEI hardness rating of 4 or 5, chemical and frost resistance. The other, and more important, part is installation. You want 100% mortar coverage under each tile for maximum strength. Once installed, the tile is actually stronger than concrete in terms of chipping resistance. My guy just installed right over existing slab without any leveling compound. It all depends on the state of concrete. Ours is 5 years old and had a couple of big oil stains from a spill during an oil change (something I no longer fear!). I simply degreased the spots and the install could start.

I sound like I know stuff, but it's just from all the research I did and it turned out great!
Appreciate 1
9M711233.50
      12-16-2020, 04:38 PM   #12
Kolyan2k
Major General
Rep

I can't do porcelain tile. Contractor said it will be alot more then epoxy and epoxy is already $5k. On top of that due to movement and cracks in concrete, I was told tile and epoxy will crack as well. Swisstax or Racedeck my only option now. My garage is about 600sqft
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2020, 04:43 PM   #13
Kolyan2k
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by essejM3 View Post
Here is the thread I think you were referring to?

https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1743614
Maybe thats it, I did comment there
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2020, 04:45 PM   #14
eljay
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolyan2k View Post
I can't do porcelain tile. Contractor said it will be alot more then epoxy and epoxy is already $5k. On top of that due to movement and cracks in concrete, I was told tile and epoxy will crack as well. Swisstax or Racedeck my only option now. My garage is about 600sqft
Understood. And I agree that RD tiles may be your best bet. However, if your concrete is heavily damaged, it will need to be addressed somehow sooner or later or it will continue crumbling under the RaceDeck tiles. So, as you are saying, you are kind of hiding the problem.
Once you go through the effort of leveling/repairing your concrete, you can install tiles on the repaired surface.

But, I would also lean to RD / Swisstrax in your case.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2020, 10:57 PM   #15
Kolyan2k
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Understood. And I agree that RD tiles may be your best bet. However, if your concrete is heavily damaged, it will need to be addressed somehow sooner or later or it will continue crumbling under the RaceDeck tiles. So, as you are saying, you are kind of hiding the problem.
Once you go through the effort of leveling/repairing your concrete, you can install tiles on the repaired surface.

But, I would also lean to RD / Swisstrax in your case.
Yes hiding the problem. I am not sure if concrete movement will damage something like racedeck, after all it took 35 years for concrete to get in this shape. Repairing is basically removing all old concrete and pouring new.....huge money, not worth it I think. Level, yes, I am planning to do some leveling if I go with racedeck
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2020, 02:42 PM   #16
nyalpine90
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: MY24 G01 AW Msport

Garage List
2016 BMW X4  [9.33]
my task for next spring!
my garage needs tlc

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDD31 View Post
I've had the Racedeck Free Flow tiles in my garage going on 2 years now and living in Michigan we have plenty of snow and salt to deal with in the garage. Come spring time, I just use a mop to clean the tiles and don't even bother with what is underneath since you hardly see the concrete underneath the tiles. Very happy with the product and highly recommend it.

Attachment 2484121
Appreciate 1
DDD311649.00
      12-17-2020, 05:42 PM   #17
strohw
Captain
Rep
Drives: 19 Versys 1000, 20 KTM 690 SMC

How well do these things drain water. Like if you washed your car on top of them will it flow freely?
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2020, 06:01 PM   #18
FastF30
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i xdrive Msport Mbrake

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by strohw View Post
How well do these things drain water. Like if you washed your car on top of them will it flow freely?
I was wondering about just plain old dirt... guess you could remove them in giant sections and sweep up every few years etc...
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2020, 08:17 PM   #19
sc_tr0jan_m3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 Grigio Telesto F80 M3 DCT

Epoxy here after a bunch of years and couldn't be happier. Still looks brand new after an oil spill, cleaning the floor with a degreaser, and many times using brake cleaner dripping on the floor.

2018 Grigio Telesto F80 M3 DCT | :: Bone Stock ::
2004 Titanium Silver E46 M3 6 Speed | :: Track Car ::
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2020, 07:32 AM   #20
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

late to the party! here's my review so far! every time i open my garage door i have a big smile. my neighbors love it, the wife loves it...shoot even the UPS/FEDEX drivers love it! so on the aesthetics side you can't deny it looks great especially with garage cabinets in the mix! as far as working on it no problems what soever. cleaning is easy as you i use a shop vac to vacuum any dirt that has fallen. with snow it will melt and because the garage levels off so the water flows and exits the garage hence the free flow design. i've used my pressure washer in the summer to spray off dirt and what not. my buddy down the street has the Swisstrax and both of us agreed there's really no difference other than Swisstrax comes in a 16x16 vs 12x12. same cost tho really and the same variety of colors to choose from. i previously had epoxy floors and it was just peeling up and even with flakes thrown down the floor was still slippery!

~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 7
3798j11303.50
nyalpine907420.50
94jedi829.00
      12-20-2020, 07:38 PM   #21
Kolyan2k
Major General
Rep

Probably gonna go with those tiles. They sure look good. Gonna be next house project, floor and garage doors
Appreciate 1
P111554.00
      12-21-2020, 07:19 AM   #22
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolyan2k View Post
Probably gonna go with those tiles. They sure look good. Gonna be next house project, floor and garage doors
let us know how it goes
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 0