BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

04-14-2021, 10:54 AM   #2113
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by premier3is View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
1. And what job exactly are you referring too that you need the best "tool" to do as a civilian?

2. Also, just because it's the best tool doesn't make it the right choice for everyone to use.

No one should be able to walk around a Walmart or Target strapped with a semi-automatic across their back.
Who can walk around with a gun strapped to their back? Surely nobody in California, or New York....or Nevada.....or Florida....or....?!?

The AR may not be the tool for you, but it's the go-to tool for me and many others.
I know you've seen the headlines. It's happened quite a few times, I believe last I saw it was in Texas. I'm sure you can pull up the news articles online.
That's not a common practice at all. I don't take outlier situations and apply it liberally.
Fair enough. I looked at how the law allows this though, which is where my point stemmed from.

And also for you mentioning you needing the AR and how it could be the best tool for your job. I have no problem with yourself being a cop carrying one in your squad car. Indeed it may be the best weapon for you if needed.

But like I said, I'm not saying people shouldn't own weapons. I do think though as I previous mentioned we need tighter gun control laws and potentially limiting civilians on what can be owned (such as ARs).
The law generally doesn't allow it. That's my point. Very few states allow you to carry a rifle slung across your back in public (..hunting aside).

What further gun law would you employ that's NOT already on the books?! Keep in mind I am in California. We are already very restrictive.

What makes the AR any different than your grandfather's semi-automatic rifle (...aside from the way it looks)? Operationally there is no difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlebear View Post
Are any of the cops here happy that they don't have to bust pot smokers so hard now?
In the years leading up to pot legalization, when you could see it coming, did you go lenient on the users you dealt with?

Murf
I bust people high on marijuana daily. It's not legal federally and it's not legal to drive while high on marijuana, smoke in your car, etc. People high on marijuana are often involved in DUI traffic collisions; if they also have alcohol in their system I charge them with the enhanced subsection for the combination impairment. They go to jail just like every other drug user.
Appreciate 2
      04-14-2021, 11:11 AM   #2114
F30lolz
I can haz cheezburger?
Rep
Drives: 14 Sahara/08 335xi/22 Maverick

Garage List
I got pulled over by a NYS trooper maybe early 2000’s timeframe and he let me go. Don’t remember if it was speeding on local streets or if I took a red light but I was very grateful that I wanted to shake his hand. He denied it saying he wasn’t allowed to shake my hand.

I’m assuming that’s personal preference but do you shake hands with people you pull over ��
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2021, 11:12 AM   #2115
Fly320s
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Car

Garage List
2020 BMW M2C  [5.50]
Is there a field test for pot intoxication? Or does it fall under the same umbrella as alcohol intoxication, such as walk a straight line, stand on one foot, or whatever?
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2021, 11:24 AM   #2116
Littlebear
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: ...the Mods crazy.

Quote:
What makes the AR any different than your grandfather's semi-automatic rifle (...aside from the way it looks)? Operationally there is no difference.
I think you know the difference.
Gramp's M1 Garand had a 8 shot clip? It couldn't be concealed as easily also.
Almost all other rifles from Gramp's day were bolt action (Enfield, etc.)

Last edited by Littlebear; 04-14-2021 at 11:30 AM..
Appreciate 1
premier3is1630.00
      04-14-2021, 11:26 AM   #2117
Littlebear
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I bust people high on marijuana daily. It's not legal federally and it's not legal to drive while high on marijuana, smoke in your car, etc. People high on marijuana are often involved in DUI traffic collisions; if they also have alcohol in their system I charge them with the enhanced subsection for the combination impairment. They go to jail just like every other drug user.
Without extenuating circumstances?
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2021, 11:28 AM   #2118
premier3is
Major
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 330i M-Sport

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
1. And what job exactly are you referring too that you need the best "tool" to do as a civilian?

2. Also, just because it's the best tool doesn't make it the right choice for everyone to use.

No one should be able to walk around a Walmart or Target strapped with a semi-automatic across their back.
Who can walk around with a gun strapped to their back? Surely nobody in California, or New York....or Nevada.....or Florida....or....?!?

The AR may not be the tool for you, but it's the go-to tool for me and many others.
I know you've seen the headlines. It's happened quite a few times, I believe last I saw it was in Texas. I'm sure you can pull up the news articles online.
That's not a common practice at all. I don't take outlier situations and apply it liberally.
Fair enough. I looked at how the law allows this though, which is where my point stemmed from.

And also for you mentioning you needing the AR and how it could be the best tool for your job. I have no problem with yourself being a cop carrying one in your squad car. Indeed it may be the best weapon for you if needed.

But like I said, I'm not saying people shouldn't own weapons. I do think though as I previous mentioned we need tighter gun control laws and potentially limiting civilians on what can be owned (such as ARs).
The law generally doesn't allow it. That's my point. Very few states allow you to carry a rifle slung across your back in public (..hunting aside).

What further gun law would you employ that's NOT already on the books?! Keep in mind I am in California. We are already very restrictive.

Quote:
Are any of the cops here happy that they don't have to bust pot smokers so hard now?
In the years leading up to pot legalization, when you could see it coming, did you go lenient on the users you dealt with?

Murf
-Even if 1 allows it, something should be done. Once again, just my opinion.

- I'm in California too as you know. But like I mentioned earlier I have no solution to the problem, I just know it's one that needs to have action taken on.

- Why do civilians need either of them though? The problem may lie in the ammunition they use. AR bullet velocity is like 2-3x than a handgun or something which makes a huge difference on impact.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2021, 11:33 AM   #2119
Buug959
Captain
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 335xi E90, GMC Sierra, VW Golf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly320s View Post
Is there a field test for pot intoxication? Or does it fall under the same umbrella as alcohol intoxication, such as walk a straight line, stand on one foot, or whatever?
I don't know if there is any field test currently in use in the US but it is available. A saliva test is used in the UK and if you have a positive result then you are taken for a blood sample.
      04-14-2021, 11:33 AM   #2120
premier3is
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Gramp's M1 Garand had a 8 shot clip?
My knowledge on guns is low, but this sums up what my point was going to be, I just didn't know how to put it in the right terminology lol.

Anyways, I think I'm going to step aside and just read the posts lol as I don't think many here are in favor of strict gun control laws!
Appreciate 1
Littlebear3509.50
      04-14-2021, 11:38 AM   #2121
Littlebear
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
... and continue to be contrary and incite because that's your purpose here. I'll keep arresting people for 23152(f) CVC (...DUI drugs).
Oh good! Clan has given me a purpose!

You will never know my past; I can't be googled.
Did you ever work for RR?

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...&postcount=177
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2021, 11:39 AM   #2122
Littlebear
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Anyways, I think I'm going to step aside and just read the posts lol as I don't think many here are in favor of strict gun control laws!
Not here, but the country is!
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2021, 11:49 AM   #2123
TiMSport
Banned
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: '21 M340i xDrive, '17 Audi S3

Appreciate 0
      04-14-2021, 11:55 AM   #2124
premier3is
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiMSport View Post
Right there with you now
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2021, 12:23 PM   #2125
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30lolz View Post
I got pulled over by a NYS trooper maybe early 2000's timeframe and he let me go. Don't remember if it was speeding on local streets or if I took a red light but I was very grateful that I wanted to shake his hand. He denied it saying he wasn't allowed to shake my hand.

I'm assuming that's personal preference but do you shake hands with people you pull over ��
Not usually, but I have on one or two occasions. I am always professional however.

Quote:
Yes. We do Standardized Field Sobriety Tests just the same as we would for somebody under the influence of alcohol. Cannabis affects the eyes (...lack of convergence, dilation, etc.). We also test heart rate, etc. As a DRE, my roadside drug investigation will be very thorough, testing blood pressure, etc.

Eyes do not lie.

Quote:
Quote:
Gramp's M1 Garand had a 8 shot clip? It couldn't be concealed as easily also.
AR's aren't easily concealed either, which is why most gun crimes aren't committed using AR's (..less than 1% of gun crimes are committed using AR's). Furthermore, capacity is irrelevant. Civilian AR's in California are limited to 10 rounds. Does the extra two rounds really make a difference? Not at all. Your logic isn't sound.

Quote:
Quote:
Without extenuating circumstances?
What extenuating circumstances? Impairment is impairment. Breaking the law is breaking the law.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Murf
-Even if 1 allows it, something should be done. Once again, just my opinion.

- I'm in California too as you know. But like I mentioned earlier I have no solution to the problem, I just know it's one that needs to have action taken on.

- Why do civilians need either of them though? The problem may lie in the ammunition they use. AR bullet velocity is like 2-3x than a handgun or something which is a huge difference on impact.
No! You're wrong. This is where education and experience will provide insight. Velocity is partially about round design and partially about mixture. Some 9mm rounds are only a few hundred feet-per-second difference than the AR .300 Blackout round, for example. What a bullet/round does on impact has more to do with how the round is designed. Just because it's a high velocity round does not mean it will do more damage. Velocity provides more reach.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemansE90335xi View Post
Quote:
I don't know if there is any field test currently in use in the US but it is available. A saliva test is used in the UK and if you have a positive result then you are taken for a blood sample.
See my post above about SFST's.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Gramp's M1 Garand had a 8 shot clip?
My knowledge on guns is low, but this sums up what my point was going to be, I just didn't know how to put it in the right terminology lol.

So is his!!! I don't mean that pejoratively; just a fact.
Appreciate 1
Buug95917177.00
      04-14-2021, 12:57 PM   #2126
Littlebear
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
AR's aren't easily concealed either, which is why most gun crimes aren't committed using AR's (..less than 1% of gun crimes are committed using AR's). Furthermore, capacity is irrelevant. Civilian AR's in California are limited to 10 rounds. Does the extra two rounds really make a difference? Not at all. Your logic isn't sound....

My logic is plenty sound:
" Since 1985 there has been a known total 47 mass shootings involving rifles, mostly semi-automatics. This figure is underreported though, as it excludes the multiple semi-automatic (and fully automatic) rifles used in the 2017 Las Vegas Strip massacre – the worst mass shooting in U.S. history, killing 58 and wounding 546. In fact, semi-automatic rifles were featured in four of the five deadliest mass shootings, being used in the Orlando nightclub massacre, Sandy Hook Elementary massacre and Texas First Baptist Church massacre."

Pistols are used in more crimes & murders, but in an above post you seemed to poo-poo any attempts to control cheap pistols.
Maybe we can have safer practices for both!
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2021, 01:01 PM   #2127
Littlebear
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
What extenuating circumstances? Impairment is impairment. Breaking the law is breaking the law.....

Such as not driving, but just chilling on the front steps. You have related quite a few times where you gave drivers a break....
I know you poo-poo'd the BLM movement, but don't you think black people got screwed by the marijuana laws, especially combined with enforcement like stop & frisk?
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2021, 01:06 PM   #2128
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
What extenuating circumstances? Impairment is impairment. Breaking the law is breaking the law.....

Such as not driving, but just chilling on the front steps. You have related quite a few times where you gave drivers a break....
I know you poo-poo'd the BLM movement, but don't you think black people got screwed by the marijuana laws, especially combined with enforcement like stop & frisk?
Smoking marijuana in public is illegal in my state, as is drinking in public.

Blacks don't get anymore screwed by marijuana than all of the Hispanics I cite or arrest.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2021, 01:08 PM   #2129
Littlebear
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Blacks don't get anymore screwed by marijuana than all of the Hispanics I cite or arrest.
How about whites?

I guess you know all about how stop & frisk was abused by the cops in NYC, and surely elsewhere?
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2021, 01:32 PM   #2130
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

How about whites?

I guess you know all about how stop & frisk was abused by the cops in NYC, and surely elsewhere?
I mentioned Hispanics because that's predominantly what's in my area and I know what you were insinuating. My point: I cite and arrest mostly Hispanics because that's my demographic. Am I unfairly targeting them? No!

My buddies who work areas with predominantly whites or blacks will deal with them more. It's common sense.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2021, 01:43 PM   #2131
Littlebear
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I mentioned Hispanics because that's predominantly what's in my area and I know what you were insinuating. My point: I cite and arrest mostly Hispanics because that's my demographic. Am I unfairly targeting them? No!
Good, because the system isn't really equitable. Whites, being generally better off financially, have places to smoke their pacalola, like a garage, basement, private bedroom, etc. Poorer folks smoke on the street more, because they don't have the luxury to not.
On top of that, NYC cops would go up to a black person, demand that they empty their pockets, and if some mary jane came out they would be arrested for carrying in the open.
Before NYS legalized small amounts of pot, the Brklyn DA voided many smoking in public tickets because of this unequal treatment.
Just one of the many parts of BLM!

Murf
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2021, 01:56 PM   #2132
cmyx6go
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 X6///M Comp

Garage List
2019 X6 ///M  [10.00]
Name:  energizer.png
Views: 1312
Size:  121.0 KB

I really enjoy this thread and would hate for it to disappear for getting political. Someone else mentioned it before. I thought it was worth mentioning again.

Climbs off soapbox....
Buug95917177.00
Sedan_Clan24977.50
vreihen1615140.50
upstatedoc7555.50
      04-14-2021, 01:57 PM   #2133
Littlebear
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
.... Furthermore, capacity is irrelevant. Civilian AR's in California are limited to 10 rounds. Does the extra two rounds really make a difference? Not at all. Your logic isn't sound....

Tell that to Gabby Gifford. Her attacker was stopped when he had to change clips. Two more bullets could have been two more killed or injured.
Tell that to every GI in WW2. When the M1 emptied a clip it would eject, often with noise the enemy could hear. The race was then on to see if the GI could re-load before being killed.

Gabby Gifford survived, but have you seen what her present condition is like?

Murf

PS: See, I know lots about guns
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2021, 02:02 PM   #2134
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lebreeze View Post
Quote:
Not usually, but I have on one or two occasions. I am always professional however.

Yes. We do Standardized Field Sobriety Tests just the same as we would for somebody under the influence of alcohol. Cannabis affects the eyes (...lack of convergence, dilation, etc.). We also test heart rate, etc. As a DRE, my roadside drug investigation will be very thorough, testing blood pressure, etc.

Eyes do not lie.

I
AR's aren't easily concealed either, which is why most gun crimes aren't committed using AR's (..less than 1% of gun crimes are committed using AR's). Furthermore, capacity is irrelevant. Civilian AR's in California are limited to 10 rounds. Does the extra two rounds really make a difference? Not at all. Your logic isn't sound.

What extenuating circumstances? Impairment is impairment. Breaking the law is breaking the law.

No! You're wrong. This is where education and experience will provide insight. Velocity is partially about round design and partially about mixture. Some 9mm rounds are only a few hundred feet-per-second difference than the AR .300 Blackout round, for example. What a bullet/round does on impact has more to do with how the round is designed. Just because it's a high velocity round does not mean it will do more damage. Velocity provides more reach.

See my post above about SFST's.

No it doesn't affect the 👀. Convergence or dilation lol.
But you probably know better. I'm only a ophthalmologist
Interesting because other ophthalmologists.....you know, the ones WHO HELPED [AND CONTINUE TO HELP] DEVELOP the DRE program that LAPD created (...and later refined by the CHP) disagree with you. We get convergence on cannabis, inhalants, CNS depressants and depressive anesthetics. It has been tested and proven, witnessed in the field and it passes muster in court. As we learn more about cannabis, the chart continues to be refined. Maybe you are the one not up to speed?!? <shrug>
Appreciate 1
mahalom3163.00