BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Sim Racing

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      07-21-2020, 10:46 AM   #1
W///
Lieutenant General
W///'s Avatar
4508
Rep
11,060
Posts

Drives: 08 E92 M3 /07 Z4MR / 99 E36 M3
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: SC

iTrader: (13)

Any regrets getting a sim rig?

Had a slow morning so I was perusing through the subforum and you guys got me interested.

I'm absolutely more of a console kind of a guy, and more casual when it comes to racing games, although I don't like the overly arcade ones. I generally prefer the Xbox for the non-racing games I play.

I'd be open to getting an entry level setup, but going with recommendations of everyone here and going with Fanatec.

My question is do people just leave all this in their basement collecting dust after purchasing everything? I know for me, I end up playing something like Forza for a while, then get bored of it and don't touch it. A lot of it has to do with the fact it's a console controller, but I'd hate to spend money on a steering wheel and then only use it a handful of time.
__________________
Current: E92 M3 Sparkling Graphite/Bamboo Beige/6MT. E36 M3 Techno Violet/Dove/5MT. E85 Z4MR Alpine White/Imola Red/6MT
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2020, 03:50 PM   #2
Zstyle
New Member
Zstyle's Avatar
United_States
12
Rep
13
Posts

Drives: 2017 M3 30 Jahre
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: Tempe, AZ

iTrader: (0)

To each their own and you won't truly know until you try. Will depend on how passionate you are about driving.

I use my sim rig at least once a week to race against my friends. It is a great way for us to improve our skills in a financially sound way while also enjoying the accessibility to jump on at any time regardless of the weather out side.

However, we are part of a team that competes in 24hr Lemons and weekend track days.
__________________
1995 Ferrari F355 GTB
2001 Ducati 996 SPS
2017 BMW M3 30 Jahre
Appreciate 1
W///4507.50

      07-22-2020, 10:22 AM   #3
Maitre_Absolut
Lieutenant
Maitre_Absolut's Avatar
540
Rep
582
Posts

Drives: M3 CS
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (0)

I bought a rig mid march (ps4 / fanatec elite), I'm still playing 5 out of 7 days / week.

What keeps you going is playing online.

I play F1 19/20 with my friends. We race together a couple times per week but also continuously try to get the best laps doing time trials (your friends times are posted).

Gran Turismo for the daily (weekly) races and trying to get better ranking. That keeps you going.

I bought Assetto Corsa Comp but haven't gotten into much yet.

Also gradually removing assists is something that keeps you going. Very challenging to get to no assists.
__________________
2018 M3 CS /// M-Performance
2019 Audi SQ5
2018 X2 MsportX / 2018 VW GTI
2017 Macan GTS
2014 Audi S4 / 2013 Audi Q5
Appreciate 2
W///4507.50
MOBF10122.00

      07-28-2020, 08:53 AM   #4
OkieSnuffBox
Lieutenant
329
Rep
439
Posts

Drives: '13 135i
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: OKC, OK

iTrader: (0)

I regret selling mine a few years ago.

My current desktop (which hasn't even been turned on in 3.5 years) is so outdated I need to build from scratch. Add in triple monitors, new pedal/wheels, and the rig itself. I'm going to be in for $4-5k to build it like I want.
Appreciate 1
W///4507.50

      07-28-2020, 11:09 AM   #5
Zstyle
New Member
Zstyle's Avatar
United_States
12
Rep
13
Posts

Drives: 2017 M3 30 Jahre
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: Tempe, AZ

iTrader: (0)

The cost to build a sim rig can be a single season of NASA, yet you get more experiences throughout a given month with a simulator than with NASA.
__________________
1995 Ferrari F355 GTB
2001 Ducati 996 SPS
2017 BMW M3 30 Jahre
Appreciate 2
W///4507.50
CLOUT18.00

      07-29-2020, 10:05 AM   #6
OkieSnuffBox
Lieutenant
329
Rep
439
Posts

Drives: '13 135i
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: OKC, OK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zstyle View Post
The cost to build a sim rig can be a single season of NASA, yet you get more experiences throughout a given month with a simulator than with NASA.
Also no replacing suspension/body work was you continually try to find all the exit speed on the last turn at Lime Rock.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2020, 02:28 PM   #7
clutchdj
Major
621
Rep
1,409
Posts

Drives: a few cars
Join Date: May 2015
Location: the lower outskirts of nYc

iTrader: (5)

get the fanatic csl elite bundle:
https://fanatec.com/us-en/bundles/cs...s4-starter-kit

and the wheel stand pro:
https://www.wheelstandpro.com/produc.../wsp-super-csl

imho this is the best way to do it without spending more money. folds and hides away, you just need your own chair (any chair). Fanatec ships slow, but the wait is worth it. The next level up's 3 screens and a true rig configuration.
Appreciate 1
W///4507.50

      07-30-2020, 07:51 AM   #8
OkieSnuffBox
Lieutenant
329
Rep
439
Posts

Drives: '13 135i
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: OKC, OK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchdj View Post
get the fanatic csl elite bundle:
https://fanatec.com/us-en/bundles/cs...s4-starter-kit

and the wheel stand pro:
https://www.wheelstandpro.com/produc.../wsp-super-csl

imho this is the best way to do it without spending more money. folds and hides away, you just need your own chair (any chair). Fanatec ships slow, but the wait is worth it. The next level up's 3 screens and a true rig configuration.
I can't do the wheelstand, not stable enough. Especially when paired with an office chair.

I've been trying to find where I could skimp on the budget to start sooner, but I can't find a ton. The fold up Playseat would be better, but it's still $250, still need a way to mount 3 monitors.

I wish Fanatec still had their entry level seat and wheels like I had purchased back in 2014.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2020, 01:13 PM   #9
Maitre_Absolut
Lieutenant
Maitre_Absolut's Avatar
540
Rep
582
Posts

Drives: M3 CS
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkieSnuffBox View Post

I wish Fanatec still had their entry level seat and wheels like I had purchased back in 2014.
Fanatec had an entry level seat?

There are plenty of fixed seats available at good prices. I went with Trak Racer. Ultra solid construction good for DD. They have single or triple monitor mounts as well.

IMO you either do:

Basic thrustmaster with foldable playseat
Fanatec elite + mid level rig
DD wheel (PC setup) + solid rig + multiple monitors etc
__________________
2018 M3 CS /// M-Performance
2019 Audi SQ5
2018 X2 MsportX / 2018 VW GTI
2017 Macan GTS
2014 Audi S4 / 2013 Audi Q5
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2020, 07:52 AM   #10
TurboSid
Brigadier General
TurboSid's Avatar
457
Rep
3,031
Posts

Drives: 2017 M4 MW/SO ZCP
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Florida

iTrader: (4)

Garage List
2008 335i  [0.00]
I would do a simple rig like an rseat and a logitech w/ your console (G920 for xbox) and start from there. There's no reason to buy a PC w/ hefty specs. Logitech regularly goes on sale for $200-250

I played Pcars2 and AC with friends 3-4 times a week until we all kinda moved on. I still have my rig and just got iRacing to try to play more solo rather than relying on friends and their different schedules.
__________________


2017 MW/SO M4 ZCP [SOLD]
2015 MW/SO M4 M-DCT FBO [SOLD] 2011 AW/CR 335is DCT FBO [SOLD] 2008 AW/CR 335i 6MT FBO [SOLD]
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2020, 07:39 AM   #11
ntailor
Private First Class
22
Rep
111
Posts

Drives: F30 340
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Philly, PA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkieSnuffBox View Post
I regret selling mine a few years ago.

My current desktop (which hasn't even been turned on in 3.5 years) is so outdated I need to build from scratch. Add in triple monitors, new pedal/wheels, and the rig itself. I'm going to be in for $4-5k to build it like I want.
In the same boat, in the process of piecing things together but the price tag keeps going up. wondering how to explain to my wife the initial 3-4k is now double lol

I'm waiting on the new Nvidia cards before I get a PC but so far:

Rig: trakracer tr160
Fanatec DD2 + Porsche gt3 wheel
Heusinkveld sprint pedals
Monitor - still debating on 3x32 1440p or 49 Ultrawide
PC - estimated 2500
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2020, 09:34 AM   #12
OkieSnuffBox
Lieutenant
329
Rep
439
Posts

Drives: '13 135i
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: OKC, OK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maitre_Absolut View Post
Fanatec had an entry level seat?

There are plenty of fixed seats available at good prices. I went with Trak Racer. Ultra solid construction good for DD. They have single or triple monitor mounts as well.

IMO you either do:

Basic thrustmaster with foldable playseat
Fanatec elite + mid level rig
DD wheel (PC setup) + solid rig + multiple monitors etc
Yeah, the CSL seat, basically an actually sturdy version of the Playseat Challenge. They used to also sell bundled wheel/pedal setups in the $300/350 range below the current lowest level they sell. And they were still miles ahead of G29-type stuff.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2020, 04:27 PM   #13
asrautox
Private First Class
19
Rep
153
Posts

Drives: 2011 335xi
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: LA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkieSnuffBox View Post
I can't do the wheelstand, not stable enough. Especially when paired with an office chair.

I've been trying to find where I could skimp on the budget to start sooner, but I can't find a ton. The fold up Playseat would be better, but it's still $250, still need a way to mount 3 monitors.

I wish Fanatec still had their entry level seat and wheels like I had purchased back in 2014.
Definitely need a fixed bottom chair to do the wheel stand. I went through the very same dilemma when Covid began. I already had an Xbox and didn't want to spend $6k on a full rig when wasn't sure whether I would still be into it after a few months.

Bought the Logitech G920 wheel/pedals and GT Omega Apex wheel stand. All in it was ~$500 shipped to my door in a few days. Months later, I'm still playing and enjoying being able to fold up the stand and put it out of the way.

We are planning to buy a new house in the next few months and will have an additional area for a full rig then. Once settled, I'll ditch the Logitech and stand and move up to a DD Fanatec setup, rigid seat, 3-monitors, etc. But now I know, and it only cost me a few hundred to get started..
__________________
2011 335xi M-Sport | MHD E40 | VSRF DP/CP | Wagner IC | GFB DV+ | xHP Stage 3 | Dinan/Koni/UUC
Appreciate 1
MOBF10122.00

      08-05-2020, 07:54 AM   #14
OkieSnuffBox
Lieutenant
329
Rep
439
Posts

Drives: '13 135i
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: OKC, OK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by asrautox View Post
Definitely need a fixed bottom chair to do the wheel stand. I went through the very same dilemma when Covid began. I already had an Xbox and didn't want to spend $6k on a full rig when wasn't sure whether I would still be into it after a few months.

Bought the Logitech G920 wheel/pedals and GT Omega Apex wheel stand. All in it was ~$500 shipped to my door in a few days. Months later, I'm still playing and enjoying being able to fold up the stand and put it out of the way.

We are planning to buy a new house in the next few months and will have an additional area for a full rig then. Once settled, I'll ditch the Logitech and stand and move up to a DD Fanatec setup, rigid seat, 3-monitors, etc. But now I know, and it only cost me a few hundred to get started..

My thing is, over the last couple decades playing with cars, it's always more expensive to buy the compromise setup, then get what you really want later.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2020, 09:29 AM   #15
Dagamus_NM
Dirka Dirka
1621
Rep
1,304
Posts

Drives: 14 Dinan 550i, 10 m3, 91 332iC
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Albuquerque NM

iTrader: (2)

Anybody know of a seat base that I can mount a momo seat to pair with a wheel stand pro or something comparable?

Using a logitech g920. Not sure if I will even be into this but a bit bored and figured I would give it a try. Something different than the regular PC games I play.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2020, 10:06 AM   #16
TurboSid
Brigadier General
TurboSid's Avatar
457
Rep
3,031
Posts

Drives: 2017 M4 MW/SO ZCP
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Florida

iTrader: (4)

Garage List
2008 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by OkieSnuffBox View Post
My thing is, over the last couple decades playing with cars, it's always more expensive to buy the compromise setup, then get what you really want later.
I disagree. I bought a Logitech G29 for $200 new on a sale and I sold it a couple years later for $180.

I bought my rig used for $300 and it was supposed to be $500 new and I'm sure I'll get about $300 for it when time to move up from that.

Just have to know what you are getting and the resale market for it. Logitech was probably easier to sell since its a recognizable brand to more people, a good starter system and cheaper impulse buy.
__________________


2017 MW/SO M4 ZCP [SOLD]
2015 MW/SO M4 M-DCT FBO [SOLD] 2011 AW/CR 335is DCT FBO [SOLD] 2008 AW/CR 335i 6MT FBO [SOLD]
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2020, 11:21 AM   #17
asrautox
Private First Class
19
Rep
153
Posts

Drives: 2011 335xi
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: LA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkieSnuffBox View Post
My thing is, over the last couple decades playing with cars, it's always more expensive to buy the compromise setup, then get what you really want later.
Yeah, normally I'm 100% with you on this. If we're talking a hobby or passion that I know I'll be into like modding cars, I'd always buy what I really want the first time.. In this case, though, we're talking about noobies who haven't had a rig before and may like it at first, but eventually get bored or too busy to bother with it. In that case, it may make more sense to try it out with a cheap entry-level system before going whole hog on a full rig..
__________________
2011 335xi M-Sport | MHD E40 | VSRF DP/CP | Wagner IC | GFB DV+ | xHP Stage 3 | Dinan/Koni/UUC
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2020, 06:40 PM   #18
gmhl10
Enlisted Member
18
Rep
47
Posts

Drives: BMW
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: Austin, TX

iTrader: (0)

I'm running a Sparco rig on mine. Very solid setup. Does not flex. What's not pictured in there is the shifter base I got afterwards. Sorry, it's an old pic from when I got it. The shifter base mount also does not flex, but the Logitech G29 shifter itself sort of does. No regrets at all though. Still loving it and using it often. Eventually also ended up getting a converter so I can use it on the Xbox One as well and not just for the PS4.





Appreciate 3
izzyM2335.00
Dagamus_NM1621.00
W///4507.50

      08-10-2020, 07:36 AM   #19
OkieSnuffBox
Lieutenant
329
Rep
439
Posts

Drives: '13 135i
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: OKC, OK

iTrader: (0)

That Sparco until looked pretty cool until I looked up the price!
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2020, 08:37 AM   #20
pasta
///M hanger-on
pasta's Avatar
Canada
33
Rep
43
Posts

Drives: E92 335i
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Hamilton, On

iTrader: (0)

I don't regret getting it, more so selling it (but I had to), it just takes up a lot of time if you want to get really good at it and it's very difficult. If you're getting an entry level system and not spending that much money, just do it. For the most part, you can easily sell everything afterwards if you do get tired of it and not lose a whole bunch of money.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2020, 12:42 PM   #21
TSM330i
2006 330i, TSM, Black, manual, sport
TSM330i's Avatar
United_States
643
Rep
3,699
Posts

Drives: '17 C2, GTI, Z4 3.0si Racecar
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Chester Springs, PA

iTrader: (2)

I too am more of a console guy and prefer PS4 due to GT (I've been playing it off and on for years).
I have had steering wheels in the past and nothing special at all (Thrustmaster and mounted to a table).
Recently, I upgraded to the Thrustmaster T-GT and really like it. Fanatec is extremely good and offers more options with steering wheels etc ($$$).
The best part of my recent upgrade is my chassis (RSeat). It is super sturdy and offers a ton of adjustments for my kid and her friends to drive as well.
For you to just upgrade to an actual steering wheel and pedals will make a huge difference. It has for me in the past and has for my friends who've only played with a controller.
I do leave the rig unused for a bit in between playing now due to summer being outdoors a ton. But jumping back into the seat with friends and their kids is epic! It's always there and not a ton of out of pocket costs.
I love it and have zero regrets.
GL
__________________
2017 Porsche C2 - manual of course
2015 GTI S
2008 BMW Z4 3.0si Coupe - because racecar
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:11 PM.




5post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST