BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Watches

04-30-2015, 08:22 PM   #89
crimson49er
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: Jerez Black '08 E90 M3

people still wear watches now days? go figure...
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2015, 10:31 PM   #90
SaMaster14
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '23 G80 M3C xDrive; '13 e92 M3

Garage List
Apple Watch is a good product, I think they will sell a lot of them. I'm considering it, but I would probably go for the ~$400 sport version and I wouldn't wear it daily. I'm definitely a watch guy, and there is something about a classic piece of art and jewelry on my wrist that I don't think I'll ever give up completely.

For me, an apple watch is an accessory, a classy analog watch is a necessity.

Just my take.
2023 G80 M3 Competition xDrive Isle of Man Green on Kyalami Orange full leather - 826M black wheels - Carbon Fiber Trim - Carbon Bucket Seats - Executive/Driving Assist/Parking Packages - Laserlight - M Shadowline Lights - M Drive Pro - CS Trans/Diff/Steering Coding
2013 E92 M3 Mineral White on Bamboo Beige noviello leather (Base w/ Nav, Comfort Access, Lighting Pack) - DINAN Stage 1 and Free Flow Axle-Back Exhaust
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2015, 11:03 PM   #91
Haywood
I know a thing or 2 about a thing or 2...
Rep
Drives: E36 M3 Coupe, e39 M5, i3s

Garage List
2003 BMW e39 M5  [0.00]
1997 BMW e36 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaMaster14 View Post
Apple Watch is a good product, I think they will sell a lot of them. I'm considering it, but I would probably go for the ~$400 sport version and I wouldn't wear it daily. I'm definitely a watch guy, and there is something about a classic piece of art and jewelry on my wrist that I don't think I'll ever give up completely.

For me, an apple watch is an accessory, a classy analog watch is a necessity.

Just my take.
Well said. Many people said the thing about the first iPad. It will fail... others have tried... I have a laptop already. Now, almost everyone has one and figures out the uses for them. I don't think this will replace a good timepiece. But, you will see people using them for specific task. I think the biggest one will be for health and fitness. I wear a Fitbit that gives me a HR monitor even caller ID when someone is calling. The Apple Watch will do those things and more. Again, Apple doesn't release half assed products. There aren't many products that have failed for Apple.
2013 Mineral White e92 M3 (sold )
2014 Carbon Black 650i M-sport (sold)
Appreciate 1
      05-01-2015, 12:59 PM   #92
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by crimson49er View Post
people still wear watches now days? go figure...
Your sentiment is one of the key threats facing the conventional watch industry. The fact is that no matter how fine a mechanical or quartz watch be, the value proposition issuing from what those devices can accomplish lacks relevance for huge swaths of consumers.

I think that whereas most folks have no problem with wearing a device on the lower portion of their arm, I think they feel that if they are going to do so, it needs to do more than look pretty and display the time of day. That I think has a lot to do with why the Apple Watch is "a thing." I don't think that folks necessarily think that the things it does beyond telling time are "all that," but that it does, and the promise it gives for what a smartwatch can eventually deliver is.

That promise signals the effective end of traditional mechanical and quartz watches as products purchased and worn by millions of people. No, the smartwatch isn't going to affect sales of conventional watches to dyed-in-the-wool watch collectors who are genuinely "into" the art and craft of watchmaking and horology. But let's be real, just how many people really are, even among people who spend huge sums on individual watches like Rolex Oysters, Pateks, VCs, and so on?

I posit that few are. Heck the vast majority of owners of such watches haven't the first idea of how a watch works. I seriously doubt that most folks who buy, say a VC Overseas, are remotely aware of, much less understand, details such as why/how the JLC 920 ebauche inside that watch, if it's not properly maintained, can result in undue wear on the barrel bridge as a result of side-shade, and thereby require the entire bridge be replaced. If they maintain the watch as instructed, sure, they have no problem. If they become lax about it, they will eventually have either a huge repair bill or a watch that just doesn't work. What I think most owners of high end watches know is that they have a lovely watch, made by a company that has a long history of fine watchmaking, and for which they paid a very tidy sum.

I believe that consumers such as that are, at the end of the day, fickle. That is, when a new, and functionally more compelling wrist-borne device comes along, they will begin to adopt it. Sure, they'll come up with and speak of whatever BS they can to justify why the $15K+ VC in their dresser drawer is no longer the best thing for them to wear on their wrist. Yes, some folks will make the transition more readily than others. I'm sure too that some will ask themselves what they were thinking to have spent VC-money on a mechanical watch in the first place.

Will there be wealthy people for whom their large expenditures were of no consequence, folks who knew they spent that kind of money solely because they could, and who just move on to smartwatches? Yes, there will be, and they'll have no reticence about having spent so much because, as the ideal target customers for luxury watches, they haven't really wasted any money that had they not spent it would have made a difference; their lives will be no different, no better or worse, for having spent that kind of money. The Apple Watch can be as readily adopted and subsequently discarded by them as can their expensive mechanical watches.

Be that as it may, spending huge sums on a watch does not a watch collector make, and the only people who will support the conventional watch industry once that very compelling smartwatch comes along will be true collectors, not people who are simply wealthy enough to buy fancy watches. Non-collectors who never bought expensive watches in the first place will switch even sooner.

All the best.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed

Last edited by tony20009; 05-01-2015 at 01:05 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2015, 02:11 PM   #93
danniexi
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 F97 X3M Comp LCI

Garage List
I've had mine for a week. It's great. I love the industrial design and the extra functions have been extremely useful for my daily life. A few thoughts:

Will it be my daily? More than likely, yes. Will it replace my Tag or IWC? Hell No. Comparing a luxury Swiss mechanical watch to a smartwatch is like comparing a horse to a car. Or a classic sports car to a modern day electric car. Is a Tesla a better way of getting around compared to a 275 GT California? Of course. The Tesla will be faster, more economical, reliable, and much more comfortable. But the other is a 275 gt california. Enough said.

I seriously don't understand why people get so invested when it comes to loving or hating a certain product. Apple Watch was never meant to be a "necessary" item. It's simply a fun gadget. No one is forced to buy it. If a consumer is not interested in it, than they can elect to not purchase and move on with their lives.
BMW MY06 E46 325XI - GONE
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2015, 02:41 PM   #94
Obioban
Emperor
Rep
Drives: M3, M3, M5, M5

Garage List
2008 BMW M5  [0.00]
2017 BMW i3  [0.00]
2005 BMW M3 Coupe  [0.00]
2001 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by danniexi View Post
I've had mine for a week. It's great. I love the industrial design and the extra functions have been extremely useful for my daily life. A few thoughts:

Will it be my daily? More than likely, yes. Will it replace my Tag or IWC? Hell No. Comparing a luxury Swiss mechanical watch to a smartwatch is like comparing a horse to a car. Or a classic sports car to a modern day electric car. Is a Tesla a better way of getting around compared to a 275 GT California? Of course. The Tesla will be faster, more economical, reliable, and much more comfortable. But the other is a 275 gt california. Enough said.

I seriously don't understand why people get so invested when it comes to loving or hating a certain product. Apple Watch was never meant to be a "necessary" item. It's simply a fun gadget. No one is forced to buy it. If a consumer is not interested in it, than they can elect to not purchase and move on with their lives.
Apple products somehow get people really worked up-- especially the people not buying them. I don't understand it

2005 M3 Coupe, 2004 M3 Wagon, 2001 M5 Sedan, 2008 M5 6MT Sedan, 2012 128i M sport
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2015, 02:34 PM   #95
Spinny02
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 M5 CP Dinan Stage 2

Garage List
Its a gadget. It won't harm the swiss market... not yet at least.
      05-06-2015, 01:35 PM   #96
BMdblU
Brigadier General
Zimbabwe
Rep
Drives: F80

Got my apple watch yesterday.. full of bugs.

Weather does not update, speakers makes user sound under water and the activity app doesn't work for a shit.

Sending it back to apple...
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2015, 04:59 AM   #97
martin mustang
Major
Ireland
Rep
Drives: 640d,X5 45e, 911c4s, 635csi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obioban View Post
Apple products somehow get people really worked up-- especially the people not buying them. I don't understand it
Yep I agree I find them quite amusing and somehow ignorant of the fact that Google is no different from Apple another corporation after profit! in my book a completely normal objective it is a business after all not the UN. In the old days they use to oppose Microsoft.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2015, 11:15 AM   #98
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinny02 View Post
I agree. The threat is in what a smartwatch can conceivably evolve into, not what they are right now, today.

All the best.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2015, 08:53 PM   #99
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinny02 View Post
Apple watch is a silly gadget. A nice Swiss watch is a luxury item.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2015, 03:15 PM   #100
Maestro
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Sedan, 2021 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by danniexi View Post

I have to agree, and I had mine for a month and I am not sure what the other guy is saying about it not working, it doing everything I expect and then some and I looking forward to OS update 2.0 in the fall. Right now I am wearing all the time and enjoying but I most likely will go back to the more classic watch.

The one thing is has done is allow me to not have to look at my phone while in meetings and most people have not idea I am check on a text I just got or stock market notice or the such. This alone is a hugh benefit and advantage.

With that said I am beginning to feel like how I felt when I bought the very first 335 in the fall of 2006. Usually I never buy first model year, I usually give it some time to mature before buying in. My 335I is great still love driving it every day, inspite of the various issues most of us dealt with.

Well the watch is starting to doing odd things and I am seeing others reporting the same thing, namely the force touch screen not working well and it may need to go back. I suspect there will be some other growing pains in the watch's future. They cramed lots of new technology into it similar to BMW and you know there will be problems.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2015, 03:27 PM   #101
Maestro
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Sedan, 2021 X3

ops double post
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2015, 05:47 AM   #102
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep

Well, it seems there are now eight common complaints re: the Apple Watch. (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/0...n_7153672.html)

I guess I'm not surprised that there are issues. That said, I stand by what I wrote earlier which is that the merit of the Apple Watch, and quite likely near term subsequent iterations of it as well as near term competing smartwatches, is (will be) the promise they hold, not their actual manifestation. I'm pretty sure it'll be a while before someone offers a smartwatch that's so functionally and usability-wise compelling that it'll displace conventional watches -- quartz or mechanical -- from most people's wrists.

I'm pretty sure it'll happen eventually, however. I recall when the first portable phones were introduced and it took a score of years or so before cell phones became compelling enough for vast numbers of consumers to consider them essential.

What does "compelling" mean re: smartwatches? I can't say exactly what features will allow smartwatches to merit that moniker. I can only equate it to my experience with portable phones. I know in general it took some 20 years or so for phones to evolve to the point where I find that even when I'm at home, I reach for my cellphone to make calls more often than I do a land line phone. Perhaps I'm unusual that way because I'm away from home a bit more than 75% of the year. I don't know....

All the best.

Appreciate 0