BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BMW 5-Series (E60) Forums (2004 - 2009) > General 5-series and M5 (E60) Forum

12-07-2014, 03:05 PM   #1
TheBlack5
Registered
Rep
Drives: Black E60 5 Series

Water Shooting Into Expansion Tank

Quick question: my engine is overheating, and I'm sure it's either a blown/cracked head gasket or a bad thermostat. I say this because the coolant looks bad; not sure if the coolant has oil deposits or gases, but it is brownish.

In any event, when I started the car with the expansion tank opened, I suddenly seen water shoot in the expansion tank from the skinny hose that is attached to the expansion tank. is this normal?

another thing: when the heater is on, the engine doesn't overheat, and the upper radiator hose doesn't feel terribly hot when the engine is overheating. Thanks for any info!
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2015, 12:14 PM   #2
DoubleParked
United_States
Rep
Drives: 325i

Milky-brown coolant isn't a good sign, could be oil (from a blown head gasket) mixed with the water. However, if the coolant is really old, rust in the system can give it a deep red/brownish color.

In addition to the water squirting into the tank, are there any bubbles in the flow? That would confirm a bad head gasket, or a cracked head. Have you replaced the thermostat? It might be stuck closed.
Appreciate 0