BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

07-19-2019, 05:26 PM   #155
supra93
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Z4, E500, Supra, RX7

Quote:
Originally Posted by XutvJet View Post
Some people need back seats and some realistic potential to drive in the snow and not be a snow plow.

As for the Supra, there will still be plenty to buy it simply because it's not an American car. Toyota will need to up the power ASAP though. They also need to fix some of the styling as it's at "11" with all that useless aero crap and needs to be more at "8".
Supposedly that will happen with the 2021 year model.

https://www.supramkv.com/threads/bmw...s-coming.1785/

https://www.supramkv.com/threads/vin...ncovered.1930/
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2019, 05:48 PM   #156
Darth One
drunk poster
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS | E46 M3

Helluva mic drop by Chevy. Well done, GM. Wow.

I tried to find something to nitpick and all i got is the mid-2000’s Camaro rear light assembly. Other than that, you guys are right - this changed the whole game.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2019, 05:50 PM   #157
NEfan508
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C

Ummm, I want the new Corvette

Finally seeing confirmed specs, photos and video this looks beast!

What I want for Christmas
Appreciate 1
MKSixer34171.50
      07-19-2019, 06:24 PM   #158
upstatedoc
I'll get back to you
Rep
Drives: blue streak

Just don't let your 15-year-old drive it
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2019, 06:25 PM   #159
NEfan508
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by upstatedoc View Post
Just don't let your 15-year-old drive it
Little Miller is turning 14, the m2 is going to be his... but let's not get into that again please

I'll take the new grand sport for sure, looks good, can't wait to hear about it in test reviews

Edit: I told my wife I'm going to Quirk Chevrolet to put a deposit down, she said what color would you get honey? WHITE of course, she texted me this pic soon after lol, as you wish she said get what you want Mr. midlife crises
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      07-19-2019, 06:54 PM   #160
KenB925
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ZL1, Raptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSM330i View Post
The ONLY argument I'd give is four seats.
Other than that, none.

TBH: Because of this, my next car will be either an M2 or 911. I need to have access to a back seat for my daughter.

If I didn't need a back seat, this would be on the top of the list.
I got the ZL1 mainly for the back seat, I think I’ve used it two times in 2 years, and even then, I could have taken my truck.

95% of the time it wouldn’t matter if I had a 1 seat car.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2019, 07:51 PM   #161
PoorLurker
Custom User Title
No_Country
Rep
Drives: a bicycle

Chevy did a great job with this! I wonder what the pricing will be like for the higher end models. MR z06 could be pretty interesting. Seems like they'd have to make it a bit over the top compared to other Z06s to hush the haters who say "they could have done that performance without going MR"
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2019, 07:54 PM   #162
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by XutvJet View Post
My point is GM hasn't been able to pull off the mid/rear engine combo effectively or reliably (Fiero, Covair). I'm hopeful that they've taken this endeavor way more seriously; it appears that they have. We'll see how it fairs after a full year on the market in terms of reliability. I sure as hell wouldn't buy a 1st year C8, probably not even a 2nd year.

I'm cautiously optimistic that this car will kick total ass and I'm extremely thrilled that they kept it a simple NA pushrod V8 and didn't go with turbos and the like. I'm sure this car will look amazing in person, especially with the right wheels, no wing, and the right color.
I'm not sure you really know enough about either the Corvair or the Fiero.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2019, 07:57 PM   #163
Dog Face Pony Soldier
2006 TIME Person Of The Year
United_States
Rep
Drives: M Sport 335i

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
Considering I just started a new job, I'm not ready to pull the trigger on a new car just yet. Maybe by the time I am Chevy will offer the ability to assemble my own engine on the C8. 🔧

Side benefit is I'd be buying American instead of supporting Germany, a country that won't even stop doing business with Iran and Russia. 🇺🇸
      07-19-2019, 08:30 PM   #164
See5
BMW Fan
United_States
Rep
Drives: Nothing

Great interview by R&T. Addresses that funny frame twisting/glass cracking rumor too.

https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-car...sign-interview
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2019, 08:39 PM   #165
IllSic_Design
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 335i

I have NEVER, ever liked a chevy product, but I have to say I would(actually am) considering one of these for my next car if there isn't any crazy issues with it after the 2nd year or so. The back end doesn't look the greatest, but I can get over that because the rest of the car's specs are just too badass.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2019, 09:15 PM   #166
CP911
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M240i 6-speed Coupe

I am skeptical about reliability and quality. The exhaust temps on this base Stingray are as high as the current ZR1, according to Chevy. How is this thing not supposed to heat soak during a track day in hotter weather? All for the sake of having rear storage for the targa tops or golf bags instead of additional heat dissipation at the rear. Are their engineers that good that they were able to work around this? It has been described as a "packaging miracle," but there are no free lunches in the world of engineering. Where have other compromises been made?

The interior is gross, yet again. Higher quality materials and less plastic - sounds great, but what about the claustrophobic seating arrangement with what seems like an even taller "wall" between the driver and passenger seats closing you in? And the crooked auxiliary tablet thingy just to the right of the steering wheel and the equally unsightly "spine" made of black plastic buttons? At least Porsche can disguise their buttons a bit better and not have them be a focal point of the interior space. A square steering wheel that would suck to live with on a daily basis... no, thank you. I'll take my steering wheel round and functional all day over this gimmicky thing. Porsche and BMW still do round wheels for a reason! The seats look legit in terms of lateral support, but that's the only appealing thing I can come up with for this interior.

Styling is subjective, but the front and rear look too much like the C7 for me to be excited. I just see this car as a mid-engined version of what Chevy already had, which, again, scares me from a potential reliability and serviceability nightmare perspective. The side scoops look cool, but the fact that they are also a part of the door makes me wonder how much they'll stick out and how easy it will be to bash them into my garage walls, parked cars, etc.

I will reserve final judgment for when real owners start providing feedback on track day performance, real world reliability, livability, etc. For now, I just see it as a car that has a lot to prove before I can jump on the "supercar for Supra money" bandwagon.
      07-19-2019, 09:20 PM   #167
Xx__xs
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: m6

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennQNYC View Post
Considering I just started a new job, I'm not ready to pull the trigger on a new car just yet. Maybe by the time I am Chevy will offer the ability to assemble my own engine on the C8. 🔧

Side benefit is I'd be buying American instead of supporting Germany, a country that won't even stop doing business with Iran and Russia. 🇺🇸
since you brought it up, whats wrong with Iran and Russia?
Appreciate 1
Mavus2014.50
      07-19-2019, 09:53 PM   #168
clee1982
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 540i xDrive

Garage List
Would want to know ZL1 pricing, probably not under 60k but still best value in class I guess?
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2019, 10:25 PM   #169
WestRace
Major
Rep
Drives: E46 M3, E90 M3

Based on the pics I could capture, first the leaf springs are gone. The front suspension does not seem to have the anti-sway bar. It's possible the front does not have a lot of weight so sway bar not needed. The rear has one although does not look very beefy. I guess there is always after market.

At least on the base version, there is no active anti-sway bar like the so called supercars.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-20-2019, 12:08 AM   #170
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Camaro SS 1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP911 View Post
I am skeptical about reliability and quality. The exhaust temps on this base Stingray are as high as the current ZR1, according to Chevy. How is this thing not supposed to heat soak during a track day in hotter weather? All for the sake of having rear storage for the targa tops or golf bags instead of additional heat dissipation at the rear. Are their engineers that good that they were able to work around this? It has been described as a "packaging miracle," but there are no free lunches in the world of engineering. Where have other compromises been made?

The interior is gross, yet again. Higher quality materials and less plastic - sounds great, but what about the claustrophobic seating arrangement with what seems like an even taller "wall" between the driver and passenger seats closing you in? And the crooked auxiliary tablet thingy just to the right of the steering wheel and the equally unsightly "spine" made of black plastic buttons? At least Porsche can disguise their buttons a bit better and not have them be a focal point of the interior space. A square steering wheel that would suck to live with on a daily basis... no, thank you. I'll take my steering wheel round and functional all day over this gimmicky thing. Porsche and BMW still do round wheels for a reason! The seats look legit in terms of lateral support, but that's the only appealing thing I can come up with for this interior.

Styling is subjective, but the front and rear look too much like the C7 for me to be excited. I just see this car as a mid-engined version of what Chevy already had, which, again, scares me from a potential reliability and serviceability nightmare perspective. The side scoops look cool, but the fact that they are also a part of the door makes me wonder how much they'll stick out and how easy it will be to bash them into my garage walls, parked cars, etc.

I will reserve final judgment for when real owners start providing feedback on track day performance, real world reliability, livability, etc. For now, I just see it as a car that has a lot to prove before I can jump on the "supercar for Supra money" bandwagon.
You seem like one of those that would never be satisfied, no matter what they did, even if it was better. You'd find some way to rationalize what you have as "better". The base trim is obviously not meant to go up against a much higher class vehicle, but the higher trim levels should hold their own just fine. You seem to think that the entire cockpit should be CNCed out of one piece of aluminum, inlaid with diamonds, plated with 24K gold and padded with goat leather or something. Either that or you are jelly?

Speaking about chassis disadvantages and exotic engineering, it'll be interesting to see how porsche answers this, if they can. As they push the rear-engine layout faster and faster, it takes more and more exotic engineering to make it compete with more optimal setups, like mid-engine for one. This is no doubt why the 911 RSR went mid-engine. The basic rule here is that you can make something inherently worse as fast or faster, it just takes more money and engineering to do so, which drives up the cost. Active suspension, rear steering wheels, and so on. IME, they should put a 911 style body on the cayman and call it good, but the new C8 should require them to take some more drastic steps, like hybrid drive in the 911 with electrically powered front wheels or something. If you are going to bring up a bunch of negative stuff about a mid-engine chassis, lets talk about a rear-engine chassis and the moment of inertia...

Last edited by RM7; 07-20-2019 at 12:39 AM..
Appreciate 2
swanson733.00
Efthreeoh16946.00
      07-20-2019, 12:19 AM   #171
alex2364
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4 ZCP / 2023 X3 M40i

Garage List
2020 BMW M4  [10.00]
2023 BMW X3 M40i  [10.00]
I’m not sure if I can get over the exterior and interior styling but I hope competitors get a wake up call and make their sports cars more affordable and/or add power. I’m looking at you Supra, NSX, 718 Cayman, and 911!
Appreciate 1
clee1982796.00
      07-20-2019, 12:41 AM   #172
TRZ06
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16' M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex2364 View Post
I'm not sure if I can get over the exterior and interior styling but I hope competitors get a wake up call and make their sports cars more affordable and/or add power. I'm looking at you Supra, NSX, 718 Cayman, and 911!
Porsche has a loyal enough fan base to not be threatened. Some performance junkies might jump ship from a P car to a C8 based on numbers , but there are too many P-Car consumers out there for them to worry, at least when talking about the GT cars.

NSX, Supra, yes they should be worried.
13' Audi TTRS (APR stage 1, MSS springs)
09' C6 Z06
08' M3 Interlagos Blue: 6sp, Tech.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2019, 12:49 AM   #173
WestRace
Major
Rep
Drives: E46 M3, E90 M3

Will have to wait to see how the C8 drives. There are just too many details that we won't know until actually having to drive the car. The current C7 with all its variants are already faster than a lot of so called supercars, but 911, Ferrari and the likes are doing just fine. Like I said before, a car is more than just speed. There are all sorts of intangible factors that cannot be captured on a spreadsheet. Just having an engine in the middle does not make a car a supercar.

Also Ferrari has a few cars with the engine upfront so engine location is not the determining factor. Likewise, I don't really consider the 911 supercar even its engine is at the back.
Appreciate 2
clee1982796.00
SYT_Shadow11421.00
      07-20-2019, 01:09 AM   #174
Dog Face Pony Soldier
2006 TIME Person Of The Year
United_States
Rep
Drives: M Sport 335i

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex2364 View Post
I'm not sure if I can get over the exterior and interior styling but I hope competitors get a wake up call and make their sports cars more affordable and/or add power. I'm looking at you Supra, NSX, 718 Cayman, and 911!
I'm not sure either. I have to see one in person and at least sit in one before I ever consider putting a deposit on one.
      07-20-2019, 04:15 AM   #175
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 128i, 2008 LS3 C6

I've always bought a generation behind with all my Corvettes. I had been waiting on the new one to come out so I could pick up a C7 Grand Sport once the "fire sales" started.

But this one is making me thinking I may skip the C7 altogether and go straight for the C8. Only thing I have reservations about is the manual transmission option.

A 2LT/3LT Z-51 equipped could still cost less than the same options in the C7 when it came out.
      07-20-2019, 04:48 AM   #176
///M4ster Yoda
Banned
Rep
Drives: '16 F82 M4

The new Vette looks badass! I've never been into them but I might have to grow out my mullet and go for it

If this is the direction that BMW is going my next car after this ///M4 could be a Chevy.

Here's what the radical G80 M3 will look like! BIMMERPOST renderings https://g20.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1635123
Appreciate 0