BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

View Poll Results: How much do you tip waiters
10% or less 11 7.86%
Around 15% 33 23.57%
Around 20% 84 60.00%
25% or more 12 8.57%
Voters: 140. You may not vote on this poll

10-24-2017, 08:21 PM   #111
Springs1
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uber Commuter View Post
Life isn't fair, dude... anyone who tells you differently is selling something...
Parts of life like **TIPPING** YOU CAN *********PAY FAIRLY**** DUHH!
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2017, 10:12 PM   #112
TheHouseWon
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorLurker View Post
Very interesting - start a mutiny from within....

Staff meeting will have people keeping each other in check because it should be an overall experience.

Personally, I don't really value service that much. I would pick up my own food at a fancy restaurant if it meant I could save $100 in tips, haha.

I wouldn't mind it if they left a carafe of water on the table and let me refill my own drinks. (I actually get excited when restaurants do this)

This ideal of mine spills into other areas as well. I don't want to pay someone to park my car. I don't want to pay someone to take my luggage to my room. I don't want to pay someone to open the door for me. I don't want to pay someone to hand me a paper towel after I go to the bathroom.
i2i
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2017, 01:22 AM   #113
eluded
2JZ-GTE
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: 340 6MT, 50e, others

If they do their job I tip the standard for whatever country I'm in.

If I'm on business, I tip whatever the business policy is.

If I'm a regular, I tip quite a bit. These people need to make a living just like or your me.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2017, 07:41 AM   #114
Uber Commuter
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 328D xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Springs1 View Post
1. You totally missed the Princess Bride reference, so you fail the interwebs today.

2. You seriously need to find a way to de-stress. All that pent up rage is going to send you past the tipping point...
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2017, 10:32 AM   #115
Rat3d ///M
997.1TT
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Porsche 911 Turbo

0%

I live in europe where servers make a decent living.
Appreciate 1
      10-26-2017, 12:38 PM   #116
hi_officer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: something fast

15% pre-tax then round up. Only tip where there is a waiter/waitress.

Tip goes up or down based on my overall experience at the restaurant (from walking in the door, food, service, etc.). I didn't make the crazy tipping rules in the US so I don't follow the mantra of "tip based on service quality only".

What I think is absurd is that for a $60 meal I will tip somewhere around $9, but for a $200 meal, I am expected to tip $30. In reality, the waiter at the $60 meal is doing the same thing at the $200 meal, but the $200 waiter gets tipped much higher! I understand the waiter at the $200 meal might give me more attention and (maybe) for a longer period of time, but does that really warrant getting paid 3X more? I can eat $200 worth of sushi at the bar in 40 minutes and still expected to tip $30, crazy.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2017, 03:53 PM   #117
PINeely
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 535i, 2015 Tundra 1794

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rat3d ///M View Post
0%

I live in europe where servers make a decent living.
Food service secret, servers usually prefer the tipping system because they make a lot more money that way. It's not uncommon for a college kid to wait tables 15 hours a week and make $400-$500. A lot of people especially bartenders turn down management positions because going from tip to salary is a pay cut.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2017, 03:57 PM   #118
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by hi_officer View Post
15% pre-tax then round up. Only tip where there is a waiter/waitress.

Tip goes up or down based on my overall experience at the restaurant (from walking in the door, food, service, etc.). I didn't make the crazy tipping rules in the US so I don't follow the mantra of "tip based on service quality only".

What I think is absurd is that for a $60 meal I will tip somewhere around $9, but for a $200 meal, I am expected to tip $30. In reality, the waiter at the $60 meal is doing the same thing at the $200 meal, but the $200 waiter gets tipped much higher! I understand the waiter at the $200 meal might give me more attention and (maybe) for a longer period of time, but does that really warrant getting paid 3X more? I can eat $200 worth of sushi at the bar in 40 minutes and still expected to tip $30, crazy.
Yep and a realtor selling a $200K house prob doesnt do much more than one selling a $500K house but you still pay based on sales price.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2017, 09:21 AM   #119
joooiiiiii
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M3 ZCP

Quote:
First off, I worked at a donut shop/diner from 1998-2002 off and on a little over 2yrs worth as counter help. We made tips plus min. wage and I even got a some raises. I know what can go on such as some cooks were on drugs, they may miss a ticket or make the wrong item, etc. I know what goes on.

I also NEVER ONCE said it was "ALWAYS" the server's fault. Why don't you actually **READ** the things I said were the server's fault or another server's fault, huh?

Mistakes can be made, but most mistakes can be caught **BEFORE*** they bring you your food, because most mistakes are DUH mistakes like DUH my ranch is missing, DUH I ordered fries not onion rings(this happened at Denny's once where OUR OWN WAITRESS DUMBASS brings out onion rings when I ordered seasoned fries. I saw it when she put the tray on the tray jack. On our receipt it was rung up wrong as well, because it was a little extra for seasoned fries as this item came with onion rings. If I order no bbq sauce on my ribs and you(you are my server) bring me ribs with it slathered on top, you were supposed to check your written order with the food and refuse to bring me something that doesn't **LOOK** right.

A number of times servers have admitted to us they put in orders wrong(I put in orders wrong before at the donut shop/diner even). Some have admitted they forgot to put orders into the computer as well.

The most things I have happen are the missing condiments and that is the MOST PREVENTABLE issue there is that something that needs ZERO cooking time can be brought out ahead of time. I have had MANY of servers bring my condiments out beforehand.

Most issues are DUH like DUH if I said no pickles, yet some are on the side of my plate. DUH, I don't have my mayos that I asked for. DUH, I have mac n' cheese instead of a loaded baked potato that I got delivered from our own waiter at Logan's Roadhouse.

You don't have to do the job to have **COMMON SENSE** and you know it.

Mistakes can be made, but who makes the most mistakes? SERVERS! Just because the kitchen staff made an item wrong doesn't mean you have to still bring it to me if you can clearly **SEE* WITHOUT TOUCHING THE FOOD something is wrong or missing. Use common sense. Especially if you are the server that took the order, you should have it written down and compare it to the food **BEFORE** you leave the kitchen.

I learned more being a customer than working as counter help honestly.

I don't know why you think that people have to do the job to know who is at fault or not. If I can see it on the tray or on my plate without touching my food and my own server brings me my food, don't you agree my server could have noticed it BEFORE they brought it to me, DUHH???

The issue is that you are being served an item that is a DUH mistake. Good servers REFUSE to bring out food that doesn't look right if it's something that they don't have to touch to notice it's wrong.
what is wrong with you?
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2017, 09:47 AM   #120
Alpine300zhp
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 24 M4 Comp RWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark_Kent View Post
I typically tip 20% not including tax. That's for standard service, nothing above and beyond. I rarely tip above 20% regardless of how good service is. Tipping on other services is a completely different discussion as I do not follow the "20% standard".
This is how I do it
      10-29-2017, 08:04 AM   #121
Springs1
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by joooiiiiii View Post
what is wrong with you?
NOTHING, WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU that you don't understand COMMON SENSE about WHO is at fault, huh? Think about most situations. They are where you can **SEE** the issue ***BEFORE*** you even **TOUCH** the food. So how is that a kitchen issue then, huh?
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2017, 09:09 AM   #122
TheHouseWon
Colonel
Rep

Appreciate 0
      10-29-2017, 11:32 AM   #123
vladmury
First Lieutenant
Denmark
Rep
Drives: 325d E90 LCI M-sport

Being from Europe I always though tipping is weird and akward but thats just me
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2017, 12:02 PM   #124
TheHouseWon
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vladmury View Post
Being from Europe I always though tipping is weird and akward but thats just me
In the US it was once seen as a performance based bonus, but it has since morphed into a societal tax.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2017, 09:18 AM   #125
Uber Commuter
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 328D xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
NOTHING, WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU that you don't understand COMMON SENSE about WHO is at fault, huh? Think about most situations. They are where you can **SEE** the issue ***BEFORE*** you even **TOUCH** the food. So how is that a kitchen issue then, huh?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uber Commuter View Post
You seriously need to find a way to de-stress. All that pent up rage is going to send you past the tipping point...
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2017, 09:52 AM   #126
Mingwan
Major
Rep
Drives: X1 Individual custom paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90post members
Says something about tipping
Quote:
Originally Posted by Springs1
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2017, 12:21 PM   #127
joooiiiiii
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M3 ZCP

Quote:
DUHHH
Appreciate 0