BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

07-01-2020, 12:32 PM   #1
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep
Drives: F01 & F15 / Mineral White

Arrow C7 ZR1 vs 2020 GT500

Impressive... Most impressive!

yco5722.50
      07-03-2020, 03:50 AM   #2
yco
i'm just saying
Rep
Drives: E71 X6M '10 (sold)

GT500 was better than i expected.. and ZR1 has a gear that is way too long i guess 4th or 5th.. couldnt get the reason and makes the car pull back vividly.. and i hate fast counting..
      07-03-2020, 05:00 AM   #3
Murf993
Major
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993

162 MPH on a public road....geniuses.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2020, 05:32 PM   #4
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep
Drives: F01 & F15 / Mineral White

Quote:
Originally Posted by yco View Post
GT500 was better than i expected.. and ZR1 has a gear that is way too long i guess 4th or 5th.. couldnt get the reason and makes the car pull back vividly.. and i hate fast counting..
Agreed on everything.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2020, 08:50 AM   #5
5.M0NSTER
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf993 View Post
162 MPH on a public road....geniuses.
That’s your complaint? They’re just driving. Slowing down for traffic and all, and not weaving in and out. So why not? Speed limits are a mere suggestion anyway.

I think too long gearing in the C7 is the more appropriate complaint here. A 4000lbs Mustang should not be tied with it.

Last edited by 5.M0NSTER; 07-04-2020 at 08:55 AM..
Appreciate 2
      07-04-2020, 09:24 AM   #6
Murf993
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.M0NSTER View Post
That’s your complaint? They’re just driving. Slowing down for traffic and all, and not weaving in and out. So why not? Speed limits are a mere suggestion anyway.

I think too long gearing in the C7 is the more appropriate complaint here. A 4000lbs Mustang should not be tied with it.
Call me crazy but 100 MPH over the limit on a public road seems pretty stupid and likely criminal. Take that to a track.
Appreciate 1
stein_325i25051.00
      07-04-2020, 10:49 AM   #7
VisualEcho
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M2 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
This type of racing is about lying, cheating, and otherwise gaining an edge that your opponent doesn't know you have. Stock for stock or it's a waste of time to watch.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2020, 11:22 AM   #8
5.M0NSTER
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Call me crazy but 100 MPH over the limit on a public road seems pretty stupid and likely criminal. Take that to a track.
Ok, your opinion, it’s cool. I just don’t think anyone else here feels that way
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2020, 11:45 AM   #9
Murf993
Major
Rep

Quote:
I think we've had this discussion before. And I guess it's your opinion that every single person on this forum shares your view as well.

As I recall from a similar thread the majority of folks here were of the view that those speeds on NA roads was stupid.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2020, 12:00 PM   #10
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
Quote:
I think we've had this discussion before. And I guess it's your opinion that every single person on this forum shares your view as well.

As I recall from a similar thread the majority of folks here were of the view that those speeds on NA roads was stupid.
Yes it is. American drivers are dumb and not paying attention and 5.0 knows that, even if he's out of the country now. Even a 100 mph differential in Germany is stupidly dangerous. Try driving 210mph in the second lane of the Autobahn, next to Smart cars and three cylinder shitboxes, see how that goes.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2020, 12:01 PM   #11
5.M0NSTER
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
Yes it is. American drivers are dumb and not paying attention and 5.0 knows that, even if he's out of the country now. Even a 100 mph differential in Germany is stupidly dangerous. Try driving 210mph in the second lane of the Autobahn, next to Smart cars and three cylinder shitboxes, see how that goes.
It goes well, I do it daily. Shit boxes stay right here. And in rare cases they don't, I still have 2 other lanes as well 2 shoulders to choose from.

But you miss my point, which is when there isn't any traffic, like in the video above, why not go for it. They slow down for traffic, as we all do anyway. So what's so idiotic about going fast with no one else around?
2018 Camaro SS 1LE. Because race car!

"Redline a day keeps the mechanics away"
Appreciate 1
      07-04-2020, 12:12 PM   #12
Murf993
Major
Rep

Quote:
It goes well, I do it daily. Shit boxes stay right here. And in rare cases they don't, I still have 2 other lanes as well 2 shoulders to choose from.

But you miss my point, which is when there isn't any traffic, like in the video above, why not go for it. They slow down for traffic, as we all do anyway. So what's so idiotic about going fast with no one else around?
So a couple of things, it's against the law. Accidents happen, and at those speeds they are usually fatal. And frankly I could care less about the idiot doing 100+MPH over the speed limit but the innocent people he may also kill. I can go on but as I recall you are single minded in your disregard for your safety and that of the others who may share the road. Do it on the Autobahn where it's legal and feel good about yourself.

Oh, and it seems that not everyone on this forum agrees with you.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2020, 12:20 PM   #13
5.M0NSTER
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:

I DO remember you complaining about speed on another thread! Now it makes sense. And you being 5.0 explains why. And I think you mentioned how crazy (though perfectly legal) German speeds are.

Well, after almost 2 years here I'm finding they aren't crazy at all. And being here made me realize how instead of teaching drivers to DRIVE, we criminalize the capabilities of our cars by punishing drivers. Super flawed system. See my point? If not let me explain:

Why is it illegal? Because most people can't handle the car at those speeds when something goes not according to expectations, I.E. THEY CAN'T DRIVE?

Why can't they drive? Because we teach young drivers rules, not how to actually drive, or handle emergency maneuvers.

Ok..... so what do we do?

We punish the people for braking the artificially low speed limits instead of teaching them to drive.

Oh! Ok, makes perfect sense! Let's just keep that up

Appreciate 1
      07-04-2020, 12:26 PM   #14
5.M0NSTER
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
So a couple of things, it's against the law. Accidents happen, and at those speeds they are usually fatal. And frankly I could care less about the idiot doing 100+MPH over the speed limit but the innocent people he may also kill. I can go on but as I recall you are single minded in your disregard for your safety and that of the others who may share the road. Do it on the Autobahn where it's legal and feel good about yourself.

Oh, and it seems that not everyone on this forum agrees with you.
Why it works in Germany is because the system is set up completely differently. See my post above.

It's not speed that kills, it's not teaching people how to drive under those conditions. It takes 6 months to get a license here. I did't have to do it, but I did invest into over 20 track days, and professional driving instruction early on. Now speed comes easy.

Appreciate 0
      07-04-2020, 12:34 PM   #15
Murf993
Major
Rep

Quote:
Why it works in Germany is because the system is set up completely differently. See my post above.

It's not speed that kills, it's not teaching people how to drive under those conditions. It takes 6 months to get a license here. I did't have to do it, but I did invest into over 20 track days, and professional driving instruction early on. Now speed comes easy.
So everything you have just said in this post and the previous ones explains exactly why doing 100+ MPH over the speed limit is stupid and why we actually have speed limits.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2020, 12:46 PM   #16
5.M0NSTER
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

You’re assuming the people in those videos don’t know how to drive, and have no skills, and never invested in driver mod. Not very objective officer.

And it’s kind of funny because I did one of my first driver training classes at Mid Ohio with a bunch of people from work. There was 10 of us and 10 Ohio state troopers. And the instructors thought it would be funny to put us against each other in a series of driving challenges. So we had a little competition on the handling course, and it turned out the troopers were the ones who couldn’t drive.

So I understand how it’s unfair to ask police to evaluate driving skills.
Appreciate 1
      07-04-2020, 12:55 PM   #17
5.M0NSTER
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

So the system is flawed, and your answer is that’s why we need to enforce?? I see a problem with that, don’t you?

And again, individual driver capability applies in empty road situation. We all need to slow down for traffic.

But blanket speed limit is not a right approach. Period.

Ticket for cutting people off, not paying attention or accidents? Sure.

Ticket for 20 over on an empty road? Nope.

Last edited by 5.M0NSTER; 07-04-2020 at 01:01 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2020, 02:13 PM   #18
VisualEcho
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M2 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
So the system is flawed, and your answer is that’s why we need to enforce?? I see a problem with that, don’t you?

And again, individual driver capability applies in empty road situation. We all need to slow down for traffic.

But blanket speed limit is not a right approach. Period.

Ticket for cutting people off, not paying attention or accidents? Sure.

Ticket for 20 over on an empty road? Nope.
Listen, everything you're saying is true, but this is the USA, not Germany, and that type of thing simply won't work here. It's a flaw in the system that has been there from the beginning, and it generates too much revenue to change it.

Yes, I said revenue is the problem, always has been, and always will be.

Imagine, if you will, just for a moment, that to get a driver's license in the USA you had to...yearly...

1. Pass a strict written test 100%
2. Pass a strict drivers test 100%
3. Pass a strict spacial awareness test.
4. Pass a drug test.
5. Pass a hearing test.
6. Pass a vision test.

Doing that would take 50% of the people off the road in a heartbeat, and make the other 50% much better drivers. It would also fix 30% of our environmental issue, and probably 80% of our accident and insurance issue.

But it won't make the money, so it'll never happen.
Appreciate 2
      07-04-2020, 02:54 PM   #19
5.M0NSTER
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisualEcho View Post
Listen, everything you're saying is true, but this is the USA, not Germany, and that type of thing simply won't work here. It's a flaw in the system that has been there from the beginning, and it generates too much revenue to change it.
And there it is. We have a winner.

Appreciate 0
      07-04-2020, 06:15 PM   #20
Murf993
Major
Rep

Quote:
You’re assuming the people in those videos don’t know how to drive, and have no skills, and never invested in driver mod. Not very objective officer.

And it’s kind of funny because I did one of my first driver training classes at Mid Ohio with a bunch of people from work. There was 10 of us and 10 Ohio state troopers. And the instructors thought it would be funny to put us against each other in a series of driving challenges. So we had a little competition on the handling course, and it turned out the troopers were the ones who couldn’t drive.

So I understand how it’s unfair to ask police to evaluate driving skills.
And you assume that they can drive. Just because you can afford a fast car doesn't mean you can drive it. It's not just the idiots in the video but as you've pointed out the other people on the road that can't drive.

As far as the police and their driving skills are concerned that's a pretty weak position to take. The police generally get pretty decent training, and just to put it into perspective they are required to train in a vast number of areas. Use of Force, human rights, law, arrest, firearms, PVO (Police Vehicle Operations). Few are exceptional in all areas, we all have our strengths and weaknesses......no doubt you are an exceptional driver and from the video can judge all the other drivers and their abilities.....because as we all know accidents rarely happen and when they do speed is almost never a factor.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2020, 11:57 AM   #21
5.M0NSTER
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
And you assume that they can drive. Just because you can afford a fast car doesn't mean you can drive it. It's not just the idiots in the video but as you've pointed out the other people on the road that can't drive.

As far as the police and their driving skills are concerned that's a pretty weak position to take. The police generally get pretty decent training, and just to put it into perspective they are required to train in a vast number of areas. Use of Force, human rights, law, arrest, firearms, PVO (Police Vehicle Operations). Few are exceptional in all areas, we all have our strengths and weaknesses......no doubt you are an exceptional driver and from the video can judge all the other drivers and their abilities.....because as we all know accidents rarely happen and when they do speed is almost never a factor.
I'm not assuming anything. I'm just giving them the benefit of doubt, and not calling them names because they drove fast on an empty road. Is benefit of doubt still a thing, or is it ‘shoot first and ask questions later’ kind of thing?

Last edited by 5.M0NSTER; 07-05-2020 at 12:33 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2020, 01:05 PM   #22
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Camaro SS 1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisualEcho View Post

Yes, I said revenue is the problem, always has been, and always will be.

Imagine, if you will, just for a moment, that to get a driver's license in the USA you had to...yearly...

1. Pass a strict written test 100%
2. Pass a strict drivers test 100%
3. Pass a strict spacial awareness test.
4. Pass a drug test.
5. Pass a hearing test.
6. Pass a vision test.

Doing that would take 50% of the people off the road in a heartbeat, and make the other 50% much better drivers. It would also fix 30% of our environmental issue, and probably 80% of our accident and insurance issue.

But it won't make the money, so it'll never happen.
AARP would never stand for that!