BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Cosmetic Care & Detailing (PPF/Wash/Wax/Detailing/Restoration/Repairs)

09-01-2024, 06:09 PM   #1
SnowCover
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '23 330i, '23 X1, '25 X3

radiator fins covered with dead bugs. is it safe to use pressure washer to clean it?

radiator fins covered with dead bugs. it was very bad because it was after just two hours of interstate driving on a very sunny day last week.

is it safe to use pressure washer to clean it?
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2024, 07:59 AM   #2
disintegrator66
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 340i M-Sport 6MT THP MPPSK

I wouldn't recommend it as aluminum fins bend very easily. I'd be cautious and use a garden hose with low pressure nozzle. Hose it down, let it soak for a while and then repeat.
Appreciate 1
      09-02-2024, 08:35 AM   #3
Westside Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Z4 M40i, 2021 228i GC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by disintegrator66 View Post
I wouldn't recommend it as aluminum fins bend very easily. I'd be cautious and use a garden hose with low pressure nozzle. Hose it down, let it soak for a while and then repeat.
I totally agree with this approach, better safe than sorry!
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2024, 02:11 PM   #4
grannyknot
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4M coupe

You don't have to start with the pressure washer nozzle right up against fins where it definitely bend them, start with the nozzle 3ft away and work towards the rad until you see results.
Shooting down at an angle will help with not driving them deeper into the core, you could also start with a stiff brush see if you can flick most of them out first.
      09-03-2024, 09:46 PM   #5
SnowCover
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '23 330i, '23 X1, '25 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by grannyknot View Post
You don't have to start with the pressure washer nozzle right up against fins where it definitely bend them, start with the nozzle 3ft away and work towards the rad until you see results.
Shooting down at an angle will help with not driving them deeper into the core, you could also start with a stiff brush see if you can flick most of them out first.

Thanks! I ended up using a dryer attachment on my shop vac. It's think and meant to go inside the lint tray opening of dryers to suck up link. It worked great and I managed to get almost all of the bugs out. It also helped that I didn't do this right away. A couple of days of driving and the heat from the radiator basically toasted them dry and crispy, which made it easy to vacuum them out.

Edit: I'm keeping this one in the garage and not going to reuse it in the clothes dryer again, obviously.

like this one:

https://www.amazon.com/Holikme-Attac.../dp/B089Q4QHTF
Attached Images

Last edited by SnowCover; 09-04-2024 at 10:36 AM..
Appreciate 1