BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

01-01-2019, 03:19 PM   #221
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

over the Holiday break worked on the photo collage wall. We originally were gonna just hang the frames on the wall but decided to give it some character. so we used textured wall paper to give it some depth as well as painting it darker as an accent wall to the Family Room. Still ordering some photos for the frames with no pictures but we did pickup some matting borders. had one of my boys help me with the wall paper

here's a close up of the textured design

and painted!

here's the frames spread out on the floor to give us some ideas on how to place them on the wall. all the empty frames I actually painted them gloss white as they were this brown wood color. also towards the bottom the smaller frames were also a wood color which I ended up painting silver. the "Blessed" sign the frame was also a wood color but I ended up painting it silver also which turned out pretty cool as it still shows the wood texture to it

and here's what we ended up with
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 7
Fakemike368.50
King Rudi13152.00
TXSTYLE13653.00
Ickdeep5706.00
xander_g967.00
Gregrobin577.00
      01-01-2019, 07:35 PM   #222
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

That's quite an intense wall!
Appreciate 1
      01-01-2019, 11:36 PM   #223
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1et View Post
That's quite an intense wall!
It's the only wall in the house with photos.
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Appreciate 1
P111541.50
      01-02-2019, 12:09 PM   #224
FCobra94
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg View Post
been working on the Master Bedroom and the Master Walk in closet! ripped out all the cheap wire racks

Installed 3 Regissor glass cabinets and 2 Hemnes glass cabinets from IKEA
Interesting...

Do you know the dimensions of your closet by chance? Have any more pics?

Mine looks to be about the same size and I'm trying to figure out whether to stick with/add more of that junky wire rack to maximize space or if I should go the ikea route with racks/shelves instead.

TIA!
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2019, 12:25 PM   #225
MrRoboto
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirdaft1 View Post
Curious to see what kind of house projects fellow members are doing on here.

The wife and I sometimes get a bit ambitious and like to bite off more than we can chew on house projects. Love to see who else might be in the same boat.

Most recently we had been wanting to put a tv over our fireplace and I had some downtime over this Christmas break. What began as a relatively small project turned into a massive custom built-in project. After a week of late late nights and plenty of profanities (damn crown molding!), she was all done.

Before

During

After
What's your insurance company think of that? Lots of combustibles very close to the fireplace.
Appreciate 2
Nadeemp8114.00
Gregrobin577.00
      01-02-2019, 03:18 PM   #226
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCobra94 View Post
Interesting...

Do you know the dimensions of your closet by chance? Have any more pics?

Mine looks to be about the same size and I'm trying to figure out whether to stick with/add more of that junky wire rack to maximize space or if I should go the ikea route with racks/shelves instead.

TIA!
the closet measures 15.5'x5.5'

that's all the pictures I took I believe. that's what I originally had was those wire racks which looks sooo cheap. like I mentioned I did 3 Reggior's and 2 Hemnes cabinets on each end. all doors can be opened fully without hitting the shelving unit I built on the other side. plenty of room to walk through to either side. closet looks like a million bucks!
Appreciate 1
      01-02-2019, 03:21 PM   #227
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRoboto View Post
What's your insurance company think of that? Lots of combustibles very close to the fireplace.
being a previous Contractor this is very common. he's within code since he has the fireplace glass cover in front preventing any fire hazards. it's a fireplace...the whole house is a combustible
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2019, 07:46 AM   #228
MrRoboto
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
being a previous Contractor this is very common. he's within code since he has the fireplace glass cover in front preventing any fire hazards. it's a fireplace...the whole house is a combustible
I'm sure building codes vary from region to region and fireplace to fireplace but it my case this is way out of code. Of course the whole house is combustable but that's not the point. You need certain standoffs between the fireplace and the combustable material.

The original fireplace/mantle was likely built to code during the initial construction of the home. As a contractor, you would know that building codes have become more restrictive over the years regarding fire safety concerns. I would suspect there is a minimum of 12 inch clearance required between combustable materials and a masonry fireplace.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2019, 09:29 AM   #229
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Meat Suit

Quote:
I'm sure building codes vary from region to region and fireplace to fireplace but it my case this is way out of code. Of course the whole house is combustable but that's not the point. You need certain standoffs between the fireplace and the combustable material.

The original fireplace/mantle was likely built to code during the initial construction of the home. As a contractor, you would know that building codes have become more restrictive over the years regarding fire safety concerns. I would suspect there is a minimum of 12 inch clearance required between combustable materials and a masonry fireplace.
National standard code is 6". Unless local enforcement supersedes here, he is good.
Appreciate 4
MrRoboto1839.50
DETRoadster11446.00
      01-03-2019, 10:44 AM   #230
FCobra94
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
all doors can be opened fully without hitting the shelving unit I built on the other side.
Where did you get the material to build the shelving unit?

I recently completed a storage closet that was 92"H x 25"D x 128"L that I used 12' x 5' raw MDF sheets for but prep, paint, trim molding, etc. was a huge PITA and I'd rather just cut & install pre-finished pieces the next go around.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2019, 02:43 PM   #231
DETRoadster
Space Force - 4 Star General
Rep
Drives: M2 MG 6MT / Moto Guzzi V7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not_Judy View Post
National standard code is 6". Unless local enforcement supersedes here, he is good.
If I recall correctly from when I did my fireplace it was 6 inches left to right and 12 inches above (Seattle / King county). I think the dude is going to be A-OK. Oh, and nice job on the cabinetry sirdaft1
Appreciate 1
King Rudi13152.00
      01-03-2019, 02:54 PM   #232
DETRoadster
Space Force - 4 Star General
Rep
Drives: M2 MG 6MT / Moto Guzzi V7

Heck, might as well post my fireplace renno:

Before

After

After Plus Sophie
Appreciate 5
RickFLM410882.00
King Rudi13152.00
      01-03-2019, 03:12 PM   #233
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:

what's around the fireplace is not what's considered code. it's how the fireplace is built and the components involved. so with that said any home owner can build whatever he pleases on, around and on top of the fireplace like the mantle and he would not be in violation of code. as long as the fireplace itself is built within code. but nowadays I've seen codes broken everywhere
Appreciate 1
      01-03-2019, 03:17 PM   #234
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCobra94 View Post
Where did you get the material to build the shelving unit?

I recently completed a storage closet that was 92"H x 25"D x 128"L that I used 12' x 5' raw MDF sheets for but prep, paint, trim molding, etc. was a huge PITA and I'd rather just cut & install pre-finished pieces the next go around.
I bought the melamine shelvings from Menard's in various lengths and widths. cut them down to size with my miter saw. than bought some 2x2's and used that as a border to make it look more like a bookshelf. I found this easier to do than using MDF which you would than have to prime and paint when the melamine boards are already white with a bullnose edge. I will take some pictures of how I enclose everything with those 2x2. pictures I posted don't have them on

I found a picture of the wire racks before the upgrade

Last edited by lsturbointeg; 01-03-2019 at 03:25 PM..
Appreciate 1
      01-03-2019, 03:24 PM   #235
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DETRoadster View Post
Heck, might as well post my fireplace renno:
Looks awesome! I changed mine out too since the original owners had a tv sitting above the fireplace. I ended up closing it in and continued making the mantle look complete from the middle to the top which flowed well with the top crown moulding I did

here's the before:

and after:
Appreciate 3
DETRoadster11446.00
King Rudi13152.00
      01-04-2019, 07:58 AM   #236
MrRoboto
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
what's around the fireplace is not what's considered code. it's how the fireplace is built and the components involved. so with that said any home owner can build whatever he pleases on, around and on top of the fireplace like the mantle and he would not be in violation of code. as long as the fireplace itself is built within code. but nowadays I've seen codes broken everywhere
I am talking about the distance required by code between the fireplace and combustable materials. In my neck of the woods the minimum distance is 12 inches.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2019, 08:36 AM   #237
FCobra94
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
I am talking about the distance required by code between the fireplace and combustable materials. In my neck of the woods the minimum distance is 12 inches.
You also live in a completely different country.
Appreciate 1
      01-07-2019, 03:23 PM   #238
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

a few pictures of the closet since I have it loaded with clothes

enough space on top for these designer storage containers that the wife requested

my shoe shelf

here's the casing I used as a face or bookshelf to make it look nicer than just no face

and finally picked up some LED interior lights that change color with a remote that I picked up at Sam's Club. kinda cool if you ask me
Appreciate 3
King Rudi13152.00
wrickem2101.00
      01-07-2019, 05:24 PM   #239
Grumpy Old Man
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993, 2015 MB GLK

I call this room my Alcohol, Tobacco & Firearms room

I don't have a before pic but it's in the basement, cement floor, cinderblock walls and open ceiling.
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
wrickem2101.00
King Rudi13152.00
      01-07-2019, 05:25 PM   #240
Grumpy Old Man
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Home Theatre

Another part of my basement, the TV is between two cement posts so I incorporated them to recess the TV and get a bit more distance from the couch opposite.

You can see the ATF room in the background.
Attached Images

Last edited by Grumpy Old Man; 01-07-2019 at 05:54 PM..
Appreciate 5
Steeler2422.00
wrickem2101.00
King Rudi13152.00
      01-07-2019, 06:26 PM   #241
JasonCSU
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i, '88 325is

Garage List
1988 BMW 325is  [0.00]
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy Old Man View Post
Another part of my basement, the TV is between two cement posts so I incorporated them to recess the TV and get a bit more distance from the couch opposite.

You can see the ATF room in the background.

Nice! I really like the ATF room.
      01-07-2019, 06:32 PM   #242
Grumpy Old Man
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonCSU View Post
Nice! I really like the ATF room.
Thanks, we're pretty happy with it.
Appreciate 0