BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Politics/Religion

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      04-25-2019, 08:57 AM   #1
Law
Global Moderator
Law's Avatar
4690
Rep
2,104
Posts

Drives: E90 M3 6MT
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: -

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2011.5 BMW M3  [5.00]
2004 BMW M3  [5.00]
Joe Biden Launches Presidential Bid 2020

It's official.

Joe Biden has launched his Presidential bid for the 2020 Democratic nomination.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-47601125

He's going to be an interesting candidate to follow and, IMO, the strongest contender from the Democratic Party.

Most of the others are way too left off spectrum and will not fare well with the general American public.


But he's not without his liabilities.
Concerns like his age and reputation/history as an "establishment" politician can and probably will work against him at some point of this race.

Nevertheless, 2020 just got a little bit more interesting.
__________________
2011.5 E90 ///M3 | 6-Speed Manual | Jerez Black | Fox Red |

| E9x M3 Press/Media Archives Thread | S65-based Racing Engines Thread |
Appreciate 5
      04-25-2019, 09:02 AM   #2
.2pdk
Banned
4058
Rep
1,970
Posts

Drives: M2 LCI
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: .

iTrader: (0)

If Trump were to lose in 2020 Biden would certainly be the most mkt friendly.
Appreciate 4
MKSixer15472.50
Law4689.50
anglo40081.00

      04-25-2019, 09:08 AM   #3
MKSixer
Major General
MKSixer's Avatar
15473
Rep
7,549
Posts

Drives: 2015 BMW i8, E63 M6, 328d
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Southeast United States

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2016 M4 GTS (Allotted)  [0.00]
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [5.00]
2015 BMW i8  [5.00]
Biden 2020 will be the Bush of 2016. He is very well vetted and approved, safe for the establishment but as dull and dishwater and won't survive the more charismatic and exciting candidates.

Let he's out by the convention.

Cheers-mk
__________________
Several actors have played James Bond, Sean Connery IS James Bond...

Lewi6, First of His Name, Destroyer of Careers, Master of Pole Positions, 6X WDC, Master of All Tracks, Scorer of Maximum Points, Whisperer of Tires, Minimizer of Fuel Utilization, Maximizer of Consistency in Finishing. Look Upon Him With DRED.
Appreciate 3
Law4689.50
Run Silent12321.50

      04-25-2019, 09:16 AM   #4
Joekerr
Is Joe King
Joekerr's Avatar
4625
Rep
1,639
Posts

Drives: 2012 300C SRT8
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Toronto, ON

iTrader: (0)

It is interesting that you say he is the strongest contender of the Democratic party. I don't necessarily disagree, but I think it may be because of my own inherent bias.

To explain that a little further, I don't understand the views / policies of Warren, Sanders, or Harris in the sense that they aren't overly palatable. I understand the words coming out of their mouth, but I disagree with them on a decent part of what I see them supporting (not everything, but a decent part). At least they aren't as far left as some other non presidential dems, like AOC and Ilhan Omar who are just ridiculous.

Whereas Biden, I suspect I could see myself agreeing with on more things than the others, still probably not the majority, but considerably more than Sanders et al.

And because of that, I would therefore be tempted to agree with you that he's the strongest Dem contender. But that is because he aligns more to my view of the world than the rest. To raise a contrary point then, simply because I agree with him more, doesn't mean the majority of Democrats feel the way I do. They may veer much farther left, and to them, maybe they see Biden as to wishy washy, doesn't stand far enough left, not enough of a difference, etc. And therefore, they may want to elect someone a little more radically left. Like Sanders.

Point being, inherent bias sometimes leads to wrong conclusions. I wouldn't be surprised to see AOC and the like whipping up support for someone like Sanders and similar and Biden losing the bid.

There is less and less middle ground in America if the media and even these forums are any indication. Lines are being drawn, people are entrenching into their respective positions and drawing people that were middle to either side. For that reason, someone sort of middle ground like I see Biden, will potentially lose. Because he's not enough on "their" side.

I don't really understand why him being a VP makes him a stronger candidate or an edge per se - but I do understand that seemingly in American minds, this is a benefit right? Is it because he has already worked in the higher political circles (maybe - if the President let him)?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lups View Post
he's Canadian. By international law we all must worship him and all other products of the country.
Appreciate 3
Law4689.50
Run Silent12321.50

      04-25-2019, 09:50 AM   #5
.2pdk
Banned
4058
Rep
1,970
Posts

Drives: M2 LCI
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: .

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joekerr View Post
I wouldn't be surprised to see AOC and the like whipping up support for someone like Sanders and similar and Biden losing the bid.
I can certainly picture her with a whip.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2019, 09:53 AM   #6
Haywood
I know a thing or 2 about a thing or 2...
Haywood's Avatar
United_States
1864
Rep
2,712
Posts

Drives: E36 M3 Coupe, e39 M5
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: LI, NY

iTrader: (11)

Garage List
2003 BMW e39 M5  [0.00]
1997 BMW e36 M3  [0.00]
Did he announce being flanked by underaged girls? Too soon?
__________________
2003 Le Mans Blue e39 M5 Dinan S1
1997 Alpine White e36 M3 (the old gal)
2013 Mineral White e92 M3 (sold )
2014 Carbon Black 650i M-sport (sold)
Appreciate 1
2000cs1027.00

      04-25-2019, 10:05 AM   #7
gonzo
Lieutenant General
gonzo's Avatar
United_States
6835
Rep
12,797
Posts

Drives: as many as possible
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: TeXXXas

iTrader: (0)

He's beholden, dirty and sick but he's not a crazy. If 'they' somehow prevent him from going to the show, the dems only shot is over.
The only others with a glimmer of primary toasting hope are Burn and Lil Pete. The rest are already finished and they know it.
If he makes it, when Sanders Math gets exploited on ads and such, he's toast.
If Sanders somehow still makes it, the number of dems that just won't vote or wear a disguise and vote for Trump are high. Shake your heads if you want, but that's a fact.

Money in pockets beats unicorn dreams.
__________________
Crazy Diamond
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2019, 10:11 AM   #8
gonzo
Lieutenant General
gonzo's Avatar
United_States
6835
Rep
12,797
Posts

Drives: as many as possible
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: TeXXXas

iTrader: (0)

Annnnnnd, the foot shooting begins.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/oca...mocratic-party

__________________
Crazy Diamond
Appreciate 1
2000cs1027.00

      04-25-2019, 10:14 AM   #9
NickyC
Major General
NickyC's Avatar
5404
Rep
5,773
Posts

Drives: YMB M4, has a roof though. :(
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Somewhere I don't want to be

iTrader: (17)

I'll vote for him, I've always liked Joe. However, two things.

1. He's old, there's no getting around that.

2. He's old and white, and there's a large swath of folks who vote Dim who hate anybody who shares those two attributes.

Just this week the NYT had an article asking if an "a white male" should even be the candidate for the Dims in 2020. So much for the party of diversity and inclusion.

Link to a disgusting article: https://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/20/u...hite-male.html

Last edited by NickyC; 04-25-2019 at 10:21 AM..
Appreciate 4
      04-25-2019, 10:25 AM   #10
.2pdk
Banned
4058
Rep
1,970
Posts

Drives: M2 LCI
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: .

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzo View Post
Annnnnnd, the foot shooting begins.
Shocking, simply shocking...
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2019, 10:33 AM   #11
Joekerr
Is Joe King
Joekerr's Avatar
4625
Rep
1,639
Posts

Drives: 2012 300C SRT8
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Toronto, ON

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by .2pdk View Post
I can certainly picture her with a whip.
We can all do better not knowing what you picture while you are in the shower....
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lups View Post
he's Canadian. By international law we all must worship him and all other products of the country.
Appreciate 2
      04-25-2019, 10:40 AM   #12
adc100
Major
1004
Rep
1,269
Posts

Drives: 2018 Forester XT
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Elizabethtown PA

iTrader: (0)

I think he can beat Trump-unfortunately. The good thing is I can't think of a better DemocRAT I would rather have than him.
Appreciate 2
      04-25-2019, 10:41 AM   #13
.2pdk
Banned
4058
Rep
1,970
Posts

Drives: M2 LCI
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: .

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joekerr View Post
We can all do better not knowing what you picture while you are in the shower....
Nonsense.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2019, 10:41 AM   #14
Captain Blood
Pirate and thief, avast
Captain Blood's Avatar
United_States
8116
Rep
10,409
Posts

Drives: 135i DCT
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Tortuga

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2012 135  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyC View Post
I'll vote for him, I've always liked Joe. However, two things.

1. He's old, there's no getting around that.

2. He's old and white, and there's a large swath of folks who vote Dim who hate anybody who shares those two attributes.

Just this week the NYT had an article asking if an "a white male" should even be the candidate for the Dims in 2020. So much for the party of diversity and inclusion.

Link to a disgusting article: https://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/20/u...hite-male.html
Lets hope for a 1 term Biden presidency and then we can elect a real republican to be president.

And by electing Biden the US voting public can show that a left or right extremist does not have to win any more elections (like a Trump or Sanders).

Anyway, this is it for Trump. If Biden gets the Dems nomination, its game over. There won't be a last minute FBI investigation, or a GRU/Wikileaks drop to save Trump this time.

Will he turn out the lights when he's asked to leave the White House, or will he have to be politely "escorted" out.
__________________
taking it to 7000.
Appreciate 4
NickyC5403.50
MrRoboto1740.50
Jockey2000.50

      04-25-2019, 10:48 AM   #15
NickyC
Major General
NickyC's Avatar
5404
Rep
5,773
Posts

Drives: YMB M4, has a roof though. :(
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Somewhere I don't want to be

iTrader: (17)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwarzschild Radius View Post
Lets hope for a 1 term Biden presidency and then we can elect a real republican to be president.

And by electing Biden the US voting public can show that a left or right extremist does not have to win any more elections (like a Trump or Sanders).

Anyway, this is it for Trump. If Biden gets the Dems nomination, its game over. There won't be a last minute FBI investigation, or a GRU/Wikileaks drop to save Trump this time.

Will he turn out the lights when he's asked to leave the White House, or will he have to be politely "escorted" out.
I'd like to see Joe win, and honestly I think it would be in the overall best interests of the country if Trump is a one term deal. The SC has already been packed with so called Conservative justices (remains to be seen with Roberts), so I'm not as worried as I was a few years ago about that.

I'm out of the game of foretelling who will win though, it could still be somebody we've never heard of and I think recent history has shown anybody is basically qualified to be POTUS now lol.

I do however think the window is closing on Repubs for national elections, if a state such as Texas goes blue it's over.
Appreciate 3
      04-25-2019, 10:49 AM   #16
cmyx6go
Major
cmyx6go's Avatar
2307
Rep
1,230
Posts

Drives: 2019 X6 ///M
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: NYC

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2019 X6 ///M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzo View Post
He's beholden, dirty and sick but he's not a crazy. If 'they' somehow prevent him from going to the show, the dems only shot is over.
The only others with a glimmer of primary toasting hope are Burn and Lil Pete. The rest are already finished and they know it.
If he makes it, when Sanders Math gets exploited on ads and such, he's toast.
If Sanders somehow still makes it, the number of dems that just won't vote or wear a disguise and vote for Trump are high. Shake your heads if you want, but that's a fact.

Money in pockets beats unicorn dreams.
I want to agree with you on this but part of me is afraid that they hate Trump so much that they will vote for anyone, as long as it's not Trump. And that scares me. We are doomed if the far left gets elected.
__________________
I thought I was a good person but the way I react when people drive slowly in the left lane would suggest otherwise
Appreciate 1
Run Silent12321.50

      04-25-2019, 11:03 AM   #17
gonzo
Lieutenant General
gonzo's Avatar
United_States
6835
Rep
12,797
Posts

Drives: as many as possible
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: TeXXXas

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmyx6go View Post
I want to agree with you on this but part of me is afraid that they hate Trump so much that they will vote for anyone, as long as it's not Trump. And that scares me. We are doomed if the far left gets elected.
I say that because I simply put myself in their shoes. Work your whole life to get ahead and have a comfortable life just to see a socialist President swoop in on you? I'm not talking about wealthy individuals. I'm referring to comfortable to rich brackets.
Survival outweighs loyalty, imo.
__________________
Crazy Diamond
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2019, 11:06 AM   #18
cmyx6go
Major
cmyx6go's Avatar
2307
Rep
1,230
Posts

Drives: 2019 X6 ///M
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: NYC

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2019 X6 ///M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzo View Post
I say that because I simply put myself in their shoes. Work your whole life to get ahead and have a comfortable life just to see a socialist President swoop in on you?
Survival outweighs loyalty, imo.
I sincerely hope you're right. Unfortunately I think of some members here that would probably rather die than vote Trump.
__________________
I thought I was a good person but the way I react when people drive slowly in the left lane would suggest otherwise
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2019, 11:37 AM   #19
hooligan_COLD
Space Shuttle Door Gunner
hooligan_COLD's Avatar
4110
Rep
3,554
Posts

Drives: '15 X1 35i M Sport
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Back in the Mitten

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyC View Post
I'll vote for him, I've always liked Joe. However, two things.
Yep.


Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyC View Post
1. He's old, there's no getting around that.
His VP pick, should he win the nom will be crucial. Harris? Warren? Surely it will be a woman...


Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyC View Post
2. He's old and white, and there's a large swath of folks who vote Dim who hate anybody who shares those two attributes.
That is his biggest hurdle in the primary, IMO. If he makes it out of the primary, that will cease to be an issue, I'd wager. Dems won't stay home because of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyC View Post
Just this week the NYT had an article asking if an "a white male" should even be the candidate for the Dims in 2020. So much for the party of diversity and inclusion.

Link to a disgusting article: https://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/20/u...hite-male.html
Silliness.
Appreciate 4
Run Silent12321.50
NickyC5403.50

      04-25-2019, 11:41 AM   #20
Captain Blood
Pirate and thief, avast
Captain Blood's Avatar
United_States
8116
Rep
10,409
Posts

Drives: 135i DCT
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Tortuga

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2012 135  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Run Silent View Post
I saw this coming, and it is somewhat worrisome. He, in my opinion, is the only candidate that I think can really beat Trump. If he makes it through the primary, which honestly, I give as a 50/50, I believe he will have it locked and Trump will be a one term president.

Right now, Biden and Sanders are essentially tied at securing the nomination based on the polls and betting odds. I don't think enough Americans really care about the 'creepy uncle Joe' issues for it to matter (I mean, heck, look at Trump - sleazy as could be, but many voted for him anyway). If Biden doesn't cave to the me-too folks, and convinces many during the primary that he is 'the one' who can beat Trump, he will have it locked.

Interesting indeed.




Meh, I believe you are putting too much stock in the media and what you see and read via the internet and on television. I know you don't live in this country, but if you did and could see the average day to day folks - you would find that the vast majority are mostly in the center, leaning a bit left or a bit right. Most tend to have socially liberal views and fiscally conservative views and still believe in American exceptionalism.

If you put a moderate democrat and a moderate republican up against each other, the moderate democrat will probably win nearly every time. You start pushing them out to the edges more, though, and folks start swinging to the right. This is what happened during 2016.

Mark my words - if anyone but Biden and maybe Harris (maybe) win the nomination for the Democrat ticket, Trump will win. If Biden wins the primary, he will win. If Harris wins, it will be a toss up.
If Beto can express himself better he has a real chance. He ran some bad ads in Texas (which I've been told didn't really portray his views) against Cruz, portraying him as further left than reportedly he is. He could also beat Trump.
__________________
taking it to 7000.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2019, 11:53 AM   #21
gonzo
Lieutenant General
gonzo's Avatar
United_States
6835
Rep
12,797
Posts

Drives: as many as possible
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: TeXXXas

iTrader: (0)

Beta? Pffftt. He's got one of those giant wooden forks, like my grandma had on her kitchen wall, in his back.

In other, not so welcome to Joe lol, news.
Avenatti just 'endorsed' Joe.
Camp Joe is spitting out their coffee.
__________________
Crazy Diamond
Appreciate 2
Run Silent12321.50
City Pig6102.00

      04-25-2019, 12:16 PM   #22
Joekerr
Is Joe King
Joekerr's Avatar
4625
Rep
1,639
Posts

Drives: 2012 300C SRT8
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Toronto, ON

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Run Silent View Post

Meh, I believe you are putting too much stock in the media and what you see and read via the internet and on television. I know you don't live in this country, but if you did and could see the average day to day folks - you would find that the vast majority are mostly in the center, leaning a bit left or a bit right. Most tend to have socially liberal views and fiscally conservative views and still believe in American exceptionalism.

If you put a moderate democrat and a moderate republican up against each other, the moderate democrat will probably win nearly every time. You start pushing them out to the edges more, though, and folks start swinging to the right. This is what happened during 2016.

Mark my words - if anyone but Biden and maybe Harris (maybe) win the nomination for the Democrat ticket, Trump will win. If Biden wins the primary, he will win. If Harris wins, it will be a toss up.
And you are probably right. Certainly you are much closer to what people actually feel - I only have the admittedly very limited sources available to me. None of which are as good as first hand.

Though the forums are interesting aren't they? Because while I do believe the media is biased, the forums...well, they are just people feeling rather anonymous and therefore, they tend to type their true feelings here wouldn't you agree? At least politically. They aren't going to shoot themselves in the foot with other deep dark secrets...but politically, I think they are as close to first hand, and realistically basically are first hand as you or I can get - and cutting across a wide section of the country, not limited geographically to your city / surrounding area.

Arguably a good representation. Of course, you could make arguments that perhaps the type of person who is attracted to a BMW forum tends to vote a certain way, but we can still see lines drawn here.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lups View Post
he's Canadian. By international law we all must worship him and all other products of the country.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:49 PM.




5post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST