BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion

07-06-2020, 03:37 PM   #1
Mani59
BMW Miniature Collector!
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E38 735i SE Individual

How BMW has adapted their business during Covid-19

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Thought I would share this little article where the senior VP of BMW and head of its Covid-19 team discussed how BMW have adapted their production lines in light of the virus situation.

Interesting to read that they are now producing their own face masks for its employees.

Quote:
North East employers have been hearing from their German counterparts about how to get operations back on track after COVID-19.

In a webinar organised by the North East England Chamber of Commerce, the senior vice president of BMW and head of its COVID-19 competence team set out how the car giant has adapted its manufacturing operations.

Dr Herbert Grebenc said: With automotive production, you are obviously dealing with the physical hardware so you really need to see the metal and decide how to solve any problems that might arise.

“To continue car production during this pandemic, it was clear we needed to get people back to the shop floor and, most importantly, they had to trust us to feel safe.

“In order to get the factory running efficiently and safely under the new restrictions our works council and management worked closely together.

“We introduced ‘pilots’ who coach and encourage people to follow the right behaviour, keep their distance and wear their masks where appropriate.

“We also instigated changes to the way our plant operates, for example, we installed curtains between operatives working on a car where people couldn’t be 1.5 metres apart.

“Most areas of our operation are at the same productivity level as pre-COVID, although there are parts of the plant where people have to wear a mask, so it is physically more tiring, and they require slightly longer breaks.

“In terms of our business administration we had a staged return to the offices although initially we did work mostly virtually for a time. Our office space has also been completely re-organised to ensure people are clear about how to move safely around the offices, hallways, lifts and meeting rooms.”

The availability of masks was initially a problem for BMW, so it started producing them in-house and now manufactures one million per week.

Dr Grebenc added: “Communication is the key to our successful policy on coronavirus. We speak to all our staff regularly to give them an update on the business and its recovery.

“We also use our BMW app for associates where we have an open dialogue about coronavirus and its impact on work.”
Source: https://netimesmagazine.co.uk/news/b...ast-employers/

Visit my (mainly) BMW gallery http://jetone.co.uk
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2020, 09:26 AM   #2
GOLFFRR
Rep
Drives: GOLFFRR cart

Im so over this covid. glad companies are adapting and people are slowly getting back to work, lets hope we dont have another set back, not sure we could handle another one

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, EMAIL OUR GUY KOTE FIRST!
Kote M Sales:Kotem@bmwofcamarillo.com Cell:805-368-9101
vipfinance@bmwofcamarillo.com for warranties!
Appreciate 4
paliknight2186.50
lab_rat394.50
hans007604.50
THEROK1264.50
      07-09-2020, 10:00 AM   #3
Miko M
///M
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C. 2020 X3M

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLFFRR View Post
Im so over this covid. glad companies are adapting and people are slowly getting back to work, lets hope we dont have another set back, not sure we could handle another one
I am sure everyone is tired of this.

It feels like Zombie Movie. Lol
GOLFFRR10710.50
SPSE93112.50
THEROK1264.50
      07-09-2020, 11:31 AM   #4
BMWZ4
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X1/'23 Allroad Progressiv

Quote:
Isn't the US already headed that way i.e. another set back? Hopefully not, but appears that way when watching news up here.
'11 Z4 30i (retired);'11 X3 28i (retired); '15 M235i Stage 1 Dinan (recalled & crushed); '16 M235i Stage 3 Dinan (retired); '15 X3 28i (retired); '14 328i (retired), 2019 X3M40i (retired); Loaded '18 X1 (retired); Loaded '20 X3MC DG, Black/Tan Merino (retired); Loaded '23 X1 Cape York green and Red/Black interior; '23 Audi A4 Allroad Progressiv
Appreciate 2
GOLFFRR10710.50
chris7197271.50
      07-09-2020, 11:58 AM   #5
GOLFFRR
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWZ4 View Post
Isn't the US already headed that way i.e. another set back? Hopefully not, but appears that way when watching news up here.
who knows, its pretty crazy times here in California where I live. just seeing how things go and doing the best I can with what Im dealt. thats all anyone can do right. I sure hope we dont close things down again bc like I said I dont know how much more people can take.

Appreciate 3
BMWZ41904.00
hans007604.50
r33_RGSport12801.50
      07-09-2020, 12:05 PM   #6
MarkDemma
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F22 M240i / E46 330Ci ZHP

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWZ4 View Post
The last week in the U.S. we've seen the highest number of new cases yet. It's frustrating because it seems that the increase is due to folks deciding to do high risk activities like go to bars, churches, parties, large indoor events, not wear masks, etc. American society is one that is very individualistic and folks will do what they FEEL like doing. So people do all these activities without thinking of what are the real risks and what is the impact to the greater community.

It doesn't feel like in a lot of places there has been a well thought out plan for re-opening, or that people will adhere to it. Would be great if we could get things like factories and other workplaces that require physical presence open ASAP. Would need to have cooperation of companies being as thoughtful as this release would make it look like BMW is being. But it would also require that folks do smart things like wear their darn masks everywhere, not try to go to bars or church in person etc. Oh and test the heck out of everyone.
Appreciate 5
chicagofan0018923.00
BMWZ41904.00
THEROK1264.50
      07-09-2020, 12:18 PM   #7
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mani59 View Post
Thought I would share this little article where the senior VP of BMW and head of its Covid-19 team discussed how BMW have adapted their production lines in light of the virus situation.

Interesting to read that they are now producing their own face masks for its employees.
They aren't the only ones. Large companies are purchasing these machines to make their own masks and not pay stupid amounts for off the shelf ones which may not meet spec and may not be available
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2020, 04:22 PM   #8
BMWZ4
Major General
Rep

Quote:
who knows, its pretty crazy times here in California where I live. just seeing how things go and doing the best I can with what Im dealt. thats all anyone can do right. I sure hope we dont close things down again bc like I said I dont know how much more people can take.
Fingers crossed. I hope somehow the situation clears up somewhat at least. Best of luck.
'11 Z4 30i (retired);'11 X3 28i (retired); '15 M235i Stage 1 Dinan (recalled & crushed); '16 M235i Stage 3 Dinan (retired); '15 X3 28i (retired); '14 328i (retired), 2019 X3M40i (retired); Loaded '18 X1 (retired); Loaded '20 X3MC DG, Black/Tan Merino (retired); Loaded '23 X1 Cape York green and Red/Black interior; '23 Audi A4 Allroad Progressiv
Appreciate 1
GOLFFRR10710.50
      07-09-2020, 04:25 PM   #9
BMWZ4
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkDemma View Post
The last week in the U.S. we've seen the highest number of new cases yet. It's frustrating because it seems that the increase is due to folks deciding to do high risk activities like go to bars, churches, parties, large indoor events, not wear masks, etc. American society is one that is very individualistic and folks will do what they FEEL like doing. So people do all these activities without thinking of what are the real risks and what is the impact to the greater community.

It doesn't feel like in a lot of places there has been a well thought out plan for re-opening, or that people will adhere to it. Would be great if we could get things like factories and other workplaces that require physical presence open ASAP. Would need to have cooperation of companies being as thoughtful as this release would make it look like BMW is being. But it would also require that folks do smart things like wear their darn masks everywhere, not try to go to bars or church in person etc. Oh and test the heck out of everyone.
100% agreed. I trust somehow all will be safe. Things are better up here, although we are NINE times smaller than the States. Stay safe.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2020, 04:37 PM   #10
Game
------
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G87 M2 (sold)

Quote:
How has your dealer done during the past few months? (sales wise)
      07-09-2020, 07:18 PM   #11
GOLFFRR
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Game View Post
How has your dealer done during the past few months? (sales wise)
we have been actually doing pretty well so far. we currently have our full staff back also. thank you for asking we did close down our mini store but we plan on putting something else in there soon, just not sure what brand yet.

Appreciate 0
      07-09-2020, 08:27 PM   #12
Game
------
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G87 M2 (sold)

Quote:
we have been actually doing pretty well so far. we currently have our full staff back also. thank you for asking we did close down our mini store but we plan on putting something else in there soon, just not sure what brand yet.
I'm in the business as well so was curious. We were only closed down for 3 weeks in March and since then we've been quite busy. GL to you guys.
      07-09-2020, 09:13 PM   #13
GOLFFRR
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Game View Post
I'm in the business as well so was curious. We were only closed down for 3 weeks in March and since then we've been quite busy. GL to you guys.
thanks buddy, you as well

Appreciate 1
Game7272.50
      07-12-2020, 04:08 PM   #14
Mrrun2fast
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 330i xdrive

Doesn’t surprise me. Germans have been able to minimize COVID. I work for a German company (based in the US) and we were able to keep our manufacturing running through Germanys’s COVID high periods due to a variety of preventative measures. We had a crisis team implemented to monitor the day to day situation. No disruption at all to our manufacturing.
Appreciate 1
clee1982796.00
      07-12-2020, 06:51 PM   #15
BeEmVe
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 X1 x28i M-Sport

Good on BMW making masks for themselves. Better than importing them from China.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2020, 09:44 PM   #16
huskerdoc2020
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW X7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkDemma View Post

Not at all. It's just because we are testing like crazy.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2020, 04:10 PM   #17
MarkDemma
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F22 M240i / E46 330Ci ZHP

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by huskerdoc2020 View Post
Not at all. It's just because we are testing like crazy.
I don't think quoting memes / talking points is horribly helpful to help folks understand a complex situation. But folks on both sides (like there should even BE sides for a crisis that effects us all) seem to have dug into simplistic notions of what needs to be done, science, logic and reason be damned.

Yes, more testing is PART of the equation, BUT you also have to take into account things like what percentage of the population are we testing compared to other countries and more importantly - what percentage of those tested are coming up positive.

And it's a mixed bag. In NY, they went from testing 20,000 a day in April with up to a 50% positivity rate to nowadays doing upward of 50,000 tests per day and positivity is less than 2 percent. Case numbers in New York have fallen considerably since April — from a peak of more than 10,000 cases per day to around 600 to 700 per day.

However, more than 20 states — most of them in the South and Midwest — still have positivity rates higher than 5 percent. These include Arizona, at 17 percent; Alabama, at 12 percent; Florida, at 10 percent; Texas, at 9 percent; and Georgia, at 8 percent.

These states have also made news for their rising covid-19 case numbers. Arizona had 14,107 cases last week, when it tested 67,235 people — up from 8,802 cases and 56,424 tests in the previous week At a glance, it may look as if Arizona found more cases last week because it tested more people, but the reality is that new cases outpace the spread of testing.

The frustrating thing to me is this "all or nothing" thinking - again from both sides. It seems folks are convinced we either have to completely lock down until there are zero cases and that will protect them from ever getting it - ignoring that the goal was to flatten the curve, not to ensure no one ever ever got it OR they feel like they can just go about regular life with no precautions as if their personal liberty was at stake. Or folks being cautious for a while then going nuts when restrictions are lifted even a little.

What I don't hear a lot of is some common sense approaches. Sure, shelter through the worst of it then start letting people go back to work WITH PRECAUTIONS like everyone wear a damn mask and keep some distance, but hey maybe hold off doing large gathering for a while. If doing stuff like wearing a damn mask can mean we can get to work sooner, I for the life of me don't know why people are turning it into a thing.
Appreciate 1