BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

12-18-2020, 09:10 AM   #23
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

Picture it, early 2009 and I have been sports betting reasonably seriously for a year, slightly in front but decided I would wait for the right good value opportunities and always viewed motorsport as a real chance one day as it is more machine than man.

I have accounts with 4 major australian online betting sites, aussies being miles in front of north america with gambling at that time.

Wife and I have no kids, lots of spare cash.

I watch the Brawn rollout of the garage, 2 seconds a lap faster, instantly. I check the odds, 100:1. Next day, 2 laps in and it annihilates everyone again. Odds are at 89:1 across the 4 sites.

I put aside 10K, $2,500 each site, i check the terms and I am not exceeding max winnings on any of them.

I talk tot he wife, she gives the go ahead but I am edgy, if this doesn't come through i will never hear the end of this and I hear rumours the blown diffuser is up for appeal.

In the end I don't do it, $900K down the drain.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2020, 09:16 AM   #24
Tommy-G
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 435 Vert Alpine White

Well, I was a bodyshop manager at a BMW dealer and we had a hail storm on a Friday afternoon at quitting time.
Monday morning there was a stunning young blonde in business attire standing at the gate when I opened up basically in tears that her new E46 was riddled with dents all over it.
Skip ahead a month....
Go out for Happy Hour at TGIFridays with a buddy. A gorgeous girl walks over and says "you fixed my car, I'm buying you a drink" we chatted all night. My buddy wanted to hit the club so I told him to leave me there. This was way before Uber/Lyft so he was worried about taking my car and leaving me there. Probably around midnight she asked where my friend went and I told her he took my car to go meet girls.
She offered me a ride home. I had my own place and she asked if she could come inside. We stayed up talking all night....never tried putting the moves b/c I felt she was WAY out of my league.

She had been on again off again with some douche but he had his reigns into her heart. We talked 100 times a day and anytime she was sad, upset, etc she would come over and just hang. Intellectually we were the perfect match. Downside she liked big muscle bound dummies which I was not.

She married a juicehead fireman who won some reality TV show and couldnt get a boner from all the roids he took. They had 2 gorgeous kids and then he hit her and they split. She is still single but dates and we talk every few weeks. If I ever became divorced I would marry her tomorrow but I don't really feel like "she got away"

She gave me great confidence and still to this day makes me feel appreciated even 1200 miles away and I havent seen her in 18 yrs or so

Last edited by Tommy-G; 12-18-2020 at 09:21 AM..
Appreciate 1
      12-18-2020, 09:19 AM   #25
Tommy-G
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
Picture it, early 2009 and I have been sports betting reasonably seriously for a year, slightly in front but decided I would wait for the right good value opportunities and always viewed motorsport as a real chance one day as it is more machine than man.

I have accounts with 4 major australian online betting sites, aussies being miles in front of north america with gambling at that time.

I watch the Brawn rollout of the garage, 2 seconds a lap faster, instantly. I check the odds, 100:1. Next day, 2 laps in and it annihilates everyone again. Odds are at 89:1 across the 4 sites.

I put aside 10K, $2,500 each site, i check the terms and I am not exceeding max winnings on any of them.

I talk tot he wife, she gives the go ahead but I am edgy, if this doesn't come through i will never hear the end of this and I hear rumours the blown diffuser is up for appeal.

Damnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2020, 09:20 AM   #26
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Ahh, Bear
End of HS. I was head over heel. We had dreams of moving to an island, just the two of us. She was my first. Then she moved on.
Like a lost puppy, when I came home form college on weekends, I'd spend HOURS at her house. Her dad always let me in the door. I could feel the discomfort in the air, but there wasn't anything I could do.

25th HS reunion. I'm there with my wife, and hadn't noticed that Bear had RSVPd to any known lists, even though she was a class officer. She walks over to the bar to say "Hi, I was hoping you'd be here" I'm so embarrassed, told her I was sorry for all her time I wasted back then. "No, nobody has spent that much time/energy on me since then"

I STRUGGLE every time I drive down this one major street in the hometown. There is a brief spot, where the bushes break, and I can see down the street to her house, see if her car is there. I did that for YEARS, but now I'm forcing myself not to look, even though I know she bought the house from her dad and lives there.
Appreciate 3
      12-18-2020, 09:24 AM   #27
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyG-inFlaNow View Post
Damnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn
What is most annoying is I was looking for it, I did not stumble across it, for several months I was waiting for a value prop on motorsport and when it came i did not have the balls.
Appreciate 1
Tommy-G4490.50
      12-18-2020, 09:30 AM   #28
Darth One
drunk poster
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS | E46 M3

Quote:

It wouldn’t quite have been as great on the instant gratification front as this, but i have maybe 20 of these kinds of stories with the stock market.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2020, 09:43 AM   #29
Tommy-G
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
Ahh, Bear
End of HS. I was head over heel. We had dreams of moving to an island, just the two of us. She was my first. Then she moved on.
Like a lost puppy, when I came home form college on weekends, I'd spend HOURS at her house. Her dad always let me in the door. I could feel the discomfort in the air, but there wasn't anything I could do.

25th HS reunion. I'm there with my wife, and hadn't noticed that Bear had RSVPd to any known lists, even though she was a class officer. She walks over to the bar to say "Hi, I was hoping you'd be here" I'm so embarrassed, told her I was sorry for all her time I wasted back then. "No, nobody has spent that much time/energy on me since then"

I STRUGGLE every time I drive down this one major street in the hometown. There is a brief spot, where the bushes break, and I can see down the street to her house, see if her car is there. I did that for YEARS, but now I'm forcing myself not to look, even though I know she bought the house from her dad and lives there.
Damn dude, you got it bad!!!! I can relate though...Thank goodness I moved away from my hometown area
Appreciate 2
UncleWede18026.50
      12-18-2020, 09:47 AM   #30
MBM340
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340 RWD

Garage List
2021 BMW M340i  [0.00]
Could have purchased this one from a friend for 40k about 10 years ago...
Attached Images

dtox9336.00
      12-19-2020, 11:29 AM   #31
Dang3r
Schmollbraten
Germany
Rep
Drives: M4CPC // HP4 Comp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Rudi View Post
Not a person or object per se.

I lost that loving feeling.

In all seriousness, what got away from me was the sense of family. Rough childhood and our "family" was about as broken as one could possibly be. As a small child, I wanted my own family so I didn't have the same issues; I wanted to be the Dad and do it the way I felt it should be done. I truly enjoyed being married. The domesticated shit, shopping for furniture, kids clothes, hauling the kids around and spending time with them, late night movie marathons, making beds in the floor of my office, for when they were sick and I couldn't miss work, impromptu wrestling matches, teaching them how to do things, etc......you know, dad shit.

The kids are now adults and have become professional smart asses. Two wives have come and gone. Yep, the family life got away from me.
You know what? This text and your expression is my nightmare since Im into the dating- and relationshipworld...which took quite a few decades.
I would never be a dad (to avoid to stumble into the habits of my dad), hated all ball-related sports except Tennis and kids...dont talk about kids. One of mine is enough for the rest of the world and my second question to a female was almost 'do you want to have kids'. If yes, I'd lost the interest instantly. So in conclusion I want to say that I miss clearly nothing, what I was watching from more than one time divorced friends of closer family and I am glad that wifey and me are more than enough for each other and our families are mirroring this picture of us so everything is fine.
I have deepest respect of the desires of others and everyone should live his/hers way of life...but at least you have to deal with your choice and even you're grabbing the pure sh*t of the life...it was your choice. This sounds like a small rant, dont? Even if, I wont offend you.

Some say, that my scrotum has its own small gravity field and when Im slowing down that brake lights come on at my buttox
Appreciate 2
King Rudi13154.00
      12-19-2020, 01:32 PM   #32
MKSixer
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i8, E63 M6, 328d

Garage List
2016 M4 GTS (Allotted)  [0.00]
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [10.00]
2015 BMW i8  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Six View Post
We did this thread a year or so ago, if recall.
I think this is more open to things besides relationships.
Sir 7ewis, 7X FIA Formula One World Championship, World Driving Champion. 100 Wins. 101 Pole Positions. 54 Fastest Laps. Actual Rain Master. Leave me to it, Bono. One Race Win in each of his 15 years in F1. Most Laps Led in Formula One. The Centurion.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2020, 01:52 PM   #33
MKSixer
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [10.00]
2015 BMW i8  [10.00]
Quote:

I can make you feel better about this. I was about to pull the trigger on many thousands of shares of TSLA at $25 per share but I got a bit chicken and stuck to my area of expertise which is biotech. I did really well that year but had I purchased and held the Tesla block, it would be worth in excess of 20,000,000.

I hope this makes you feel better. I'm going to drink now.
Sir 7ewis, 7X FIA Formula One World Championship, World Driving Champion. 100 Wins. 101 Pole Positions. 54 Fastest Laps. Actual Rain Master. Leave me to it, Bono. One Race Win in each of his 15 years in F1. Most Laps Led in Formula One. The Centurion.
Appreciate 5
      12-19-2020, 02:25 PM   #34
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
The one that got away from me was an E36 M3 back in the day.

I drove a very good friend of mine about an hour away as a favor, to pick up his brand new E36 325i at the dealership. He was very good friends with the sales manager there. The sales manager and I were talking about motorsports, and how I had just purchased another manufacturer's car to compete with.

Long story short, someone had come into that dealership earlier in the year and custom-ordered a stripped E36 M3 for a track day car, no sunroof, no radio, delete anything that was dead weight in competition. When the car came in, the buyer tried to wrangle an additional huge discount beyond his agreed-upon purchase price, knowing that the dealership would have a difficult time finding a buyer for a car missing all of the basic options. I won't go into details about how peeved the sales manager was, except to say that I had a one-time offer to take that car on the spot that *nobody* would have refused...just so that the sales manager could piss off the buyer for jerking him around.

Alas, the title of this thread because I stupidly turned down the automotive deal of my life.....
      12-20-2020, 01:58 PM   #35
Yapakanichi
Monkey Marshall
Rep
Drives: 2005 Z4 3.0i

I miss my Turbo MR2s...my 84 RX7....and my sanity. The one that got away...
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2020, 06:48 PM   #36
pennsiveguy
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 xDrive50i M-sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKSixer View Post
I can make you feel better about this. I was about to pull the trigger on many thousands of shares of TSLA at $25 per share but I got a bit chicken and stuck to my area of expertise which is biotech. I did really well that year but had I purchased and held the Tesla block, it would be worth in excess of 20,000,000.

I hope this makes you feel better. I'm going to drink now.
Ouch...that made me thirsty too.
      12-20-2020, 06:50 PM   #37
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M235i

I’m actually the one that got away: away from bad relationships, away from a great girl but I just wasn’t feeling it, away from girls who played games, away from girls that don’t know what they wanted, etc.
Appreciate 3
Dang3r12512.00
      12-20-2020, 06:55 PM   #38
Drop the hammer
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '17 F87 M2 AW, Dct

Like the time I bought 2 large pizzas for 30 Bitcoins! Good pizza at the time. But wow, who knew that was pretty costly pizza in today’s Bitcoin money.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2020, 09:59 PM   #39
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKSixer View Post
I think this is more open to things besides relationships.
In that case, I was soooo tempted to grab this about a decade ago at $20k. Still kicking myself for not doing it. Sweet M6.

"There is no shame in dropping fruit in your glass."
-UncleWede
Appreciate 1
MKSixer34184.50
      12-23-2020, 10:10 AM   #40
Turkish Pickle
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 330i xDrive

Garage List
I have a keyboard that's worth around $2000-2200 today
It's a completely standard keyboard that I bought in 2013 with BTC because as much as I wanted it to make me rich I also secretly saw it as currency. Bought a similar model from a different brand, this one is wireless too, for my gf as a small gift for $48.99 last week

In terms of girls? None so far that got away. Bunch of hoes who served their purpose and/or I served their purpose. Would have to update it if we broke up but I've never felt this comfortable with a girl, it was always a facade before. Wasn't entirely untrue, I just haven't had a girlfriend that shares common values with me, not to mention our dark humor. I can send her memes from the stash that gets sent to the boys, don't need to have a "for girls" stash anymore!

Just for that alone I'm very happy to be with her
Appreciate 3
MKSixer34184.50
vreihen1615278.50
Tommy-G4490.50
      12-23-2020, 10:44 AM   #41
spazzyfry123
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Here and There

Garage List
Back about ten years ago, I bought a house and got to know the neighbor across the street. Decent guy with something under a tarp in the driveway - could see a bit of a rise on the back and what looked to be Fuchs wheels. One day we got to chatting while we were both out doing some yardwork and I asked him what was the deal with the car under the tarp. Walked over and pulled it off to find an '81 911 SC Targa with a whale tail.

He's a dentist that's the original owner with about 60k original miles on it. Interior is full of cobwebs, flat tires, and hasn't been turned over in probably a dozen years. Says he bought a newer Turbo that he keeps at his lake house and just saw no reason to really deal with the Targa. Asked his plans and said he's probably going to donate it to the Kidney Foundation to get a write off. At this point my eyes bulged enough I'm surprised they didn't pop out. Asked him what he thought that meant in terms of doll hairs, "I dunno, maybe $3k?"

At this particular point of time I wasn't making much money, and the house I bought was from an estate in need of repairs and a complete gut renovation. ALL of my money was tied in the house and I had at one point even taken out a personal loan to pay the renovation loan payments just to skirt by on the roll of the dice that I might make a fantastic profit when it was all said and done (which I did...phew).

Dentist Dan agreed he would sell me the car for $3k and I had to back out because I couldn't risk another gamble running parallel with the ongoing financial roulette that was flipping a house that I lived in. Two weeks later three different people showed up to his house with a trailer thinking they were the first to respond to his Craigslist ad. Turns out there was an in person bidding war amongst them and the buyer paid $12.5k as it sat.

I would still have that car today...
Appreciate 2
MKSixer34184.50
vreihen1615278.50
      12-23-2020, 10:49 AM   #42
MKSixer
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [10.00]
2015 BMW i8  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by spazzyfry123 View Post
Back about ten years ago, I bought a house and got to know the neighbor across the street. Decent guy with something under a tarp in the driveway - could see a bit of a rise on the back and what looked to be Fuchs wheels. One day we got to chatting while we were both out doing some yardwork and I asked him what was the deal with the car under the tarp. Walked over and pulled it off to find an '81 911 SC Targa with a whale tail.

He's a dentist that's the original owner with about 60k original miles on it. Interior is full of cobwebs, flat tires, and hasn't been turned over in probably a dozen years. Says he bought a newer Turbo that he keeps at his lake house and just saw no reason to really deal with the Targa. Asked his plans and said he's probably going to donate it to the Kidney Foundation to get a write off. At this point my eyes bulged enough I'm surprised they didn't pop out. Asked him what he thought that meant in terms of doll hairs, "I dunno, maybe $3k?"

At this particular point of time I wasn't making much money, and the house I bought was from an estate in need of repairs and a complete gut renovation. ALL of my money was tied in the house and I had at one point even taken out a personal loan to pay the renovation loan payments just to skirt by on the roll of the dice that I might make a fantastic profit when it was all said and done (which I did...phew).

Dentist Dan agreed he would sell me the car for $3k and I had to back out because I couldn't risk another gamble running parallel with the ongoing financial roulette that was flipping a house that I lived in. Two weeks later three different people showed up to his house with a trailer thinking they were the first to respond to his Craigslist ad. Turns out there was an in person bidding war amongst them and the buyer paid $12.5k as it sat.

I would still have that car today...
Me-Tesla You-Turbo

This is the way.
Appreciate 1
      12-23-2020, 10:52 AM   #43
RnmEvo9
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

I miss my Evo 9 to this day. The amount of joy and fun she provided has not been duplicated to this day.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2020, 01:07 PM   #44
BMW003E
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2CS, M2C, & X5

In August 2001, I bought a beautiful Honda S2000. I still remember the day I drove it home from a dealership 100 miles away. I had a grin on my face that lasted for weeks. I loved that car and drove it everywhere for the 3 years I had it.

I traded it in for an Acura TSX just a month before my now ex-wife left. We have 2 boys, so it was a damn good thing I got the TSX when I did. Our divorce was intense but over quickly. It settled out amicably, which was great for our boys. Before the ink was dry on the papers, I traded the TSX in for a MDX (the TSX was a great car, but too much bad karma hung over it). Eventually, I moved to BMWs (my first was a 2010 M3 sedan).

I've always regretted getting rid of that S2000 and I keep looking for just the right one to come along (yeah, I should have gotten rid of the ex earlier and kept the car! &#128514.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0