BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

12-13-2020, 04:34 PM   #45
Captain Blood
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Audi S3....don't judge me

Garage List
2016 Audi S3  [9.50]
2012 135  [6.83]
My recommendations, I've lived in Texas for almost my entire life:
North side of San Antonio, out by 1604. Beautiful hill country, big city, People are friendly. Mild winters, doesn't get as hot as Dallas, not as humid as Houston.
Fort Worth isn't too bad. Bad bad traffic there though. There's some neat older homes west of downtown.
Forget Plano, you'd be better off moving north to Frisco or McKinney. McKinney neighborhoods, with Frisco schools, are excellent. Mckinney has a thriving local downtown. Very old time small town feel.
Appreciate 2
      12-14-2020, 07:12 AM   #46
floridaorange
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 bmw 320i xdrive

Wow - everyone really is moving to Texas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
Sounds pizzagatey.
Appreciate 1
Mosaud19983940.50
      12-14-2020, 08:44 AM   #47
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

The US system of low income taxes but getting absolutely hammered on property taxes is insane, i will never understand it. It's bad here too, property tax in Australia is a 3rd of what it is n Toronto and a 5th of most of the USA.

Crazy
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2020, 10:50 AM   #48
3.0L
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M235i, 20k miles

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenc View Post
I live in Houston and moved here in 1999 when I immigrated. I travel 40 weeks a year to all states and would not live in any other state.

Texas heat and humidity is legendary and takes getting used to. Austin is overated.

No state taxes. Property taxes are okay. Housing is less expensive but not cheap anymore. Economy is fairly strong and consistent. Lots of driving/ commuting since the cities and state are so huge.

My house is $750k and property tax is $10,500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosaud1998 View Post
Damn, $10,500 property tax for a $750k house isn't bad at all. My parents paid $425k for their house when it was getting built (New construction). Its market value is around $630k now per the builders (if someone builds our house model now base price it $525k. Back in 2015 it was $410k). The tax on our house was $14k lat year.
All of us get taxed one way or another. I think property taxes on a person's primary residence is wrong, particularly for retired folks. There are other ways to collect tax revenue including income and sales. I've seen folks taxed out of their homes (and farms) because they couldn't afford the property taxes. This is just plain wrong.

California Prop 13 has saved our bacon. Our home is worth ~$1M (and it's paid for), but we only pay $1400.00 per year in property taxes. And yes, I'm retired. At least I don't have to worry much about being taxed out of my (last) home.

When writing your life's plan, use a pencil with an eraser
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2020, 11:47 AM   #49
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep

That's my point, the only really fair taxation is on income, everythng else is a flat tax. It makes it BRUTAL for retirees to stay in their home.

Longer I am in north america the more I am dumbfounded by the way you tie yourselves in knots.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2020, 11:54 AM   #50
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Meat Suit

Never lived in Texas, but I played there once. Make damn sure you have a fiddle in the band. The lead guitar is hot.....but not for Louisiana Man.

Sorry I have nothing else to contribute.
Appreciate 1
      12-14-2020, 02:17 PM   #51
dinonz
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 MWM ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0L View Post
All of us get taxed one way or another. I think property taxes on a person's primary residence is wrong, particularly for retired folks. There are other ways to collect tax revenue including income and sales. I've seen folks taxed out of their homes (and farms) because they couldn't afford the property taxes. This is just plain wrong.

California Prop 13 has saved our bacon. Our home is worth ~$1M (and it's paid for), but we only pay $1400.00 per year in property taxes. And yes, I'm retired. At least I don't have to worry much about being taxed out of my (last) home.
I know there are exemptions for retired folk, but probably not that much and I'm nowhere close to that age.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2020, 06:26 PM   #52
PoorLurker
Custom User Title
No_Country
Rep
Drives: a bicycle

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Rudi View Post
Never lived in Texas, but I played there once. Make damn sure you have a fiddle in the band. The lead guitar is hot.....but not for Louisiana Man.

Sorry I have nothing else to contribute.

But your contribution is completely appreciated! Love that song
Appreciate 2
      12-15-2020, 01:18 PM   #53
aozer
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M235i

i live in dallas. it sucks ass and it isnt cheap. flat, ugly, terrible traffic. good luck finding any nice houses for 300k in dallas proper. if you want to live in some shithole on the southside then you will probably find something.
"I see the disinfectant that knocks it out in a minute, one minute. And is there a way we can do something like that by injection inside or almost a cleaning? As you see, it gets in the lungs, it does a tremendous number on the lungs, so it would be interesting to check that." -POTUS
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2020, 11:20 PM   #54
maul3d
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 AY M4 - 2012 Nissan GTR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
The US system of low income taxes but getting absolutely hammered on property taxes is insane, i will never understand it. It's bad here too, property tax in Australia is a 3rd of what it is n Toronto and a 5th of most of the USA.

Crazy

A BMW M4 costs 120K USD in Australia..brand new.

They get hit with other taxes )

Last edited by maul3d; 12-15-2020 at 11:26 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2020, 07:34 AM   #55
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by maul3d View Post
A BMW M4 costs 120K USD in Australia..brand new.

They get hit with other taxes )
Yep luxury cars are hit hard but net taxation is considerably less than Canada with a similar health system. My issue with land taxes is it is unavoidable and hurts seniors. I can choose to buy an M4, I have to live somewhere.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2020, 11:21 AM   #56
maul3d
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Yep luxury cars are hit hard but net taxation is considerably less than Canada with a similar health system. My issue with land taxes is it is unavoidable and hurts seniors. I can choose to buy an M4, I have to live somewhere.

What are your property taxes in Toronto ? They are some of the lowest from what I heard.

I'm outside of Ancaster - 55x114ft lot 3600sqft single home - $5300
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2020, 07:57 PM   #57
Mosaud1998
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 540

Garage List
2019 BMW 540  [0.00]
Thank you for all the responses. Here is what I've got planned for right now. I am thinking about getting an internship during my 3rd semester at whichever two universities I decide to go to. I will either look for an internship in Houston or Fort Worth (since those are the top two cities I am thinking of moving to). If I go to Houston, I will probably rent out an apartment for 1-2 months (or however long summer break will be). If the internship is in Fort Worth, I can stay at my aunts' house. While I am in the area, I'll check out the real estate market and the area as a whole and see if I like it. If I do, after I get my bachelors I'll look for a job out in the area and boom build up from there.
Appreciate 2
EricVR4603.50
Kelse921131.50
      12-17-2020, 08:15 PM   #58
sc_tr0jan_m3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 Grigio Telesto F80 M3 DCT

Born in CA now living in Dallas. The post earlier thread about Texas being a state of compromises is a great way to put it. In the long run my money goes a long way here and with the money saved I can enjoy vacations and holidays to get away.

Eventually I'll move back to the Bay Area but it'd be tough to stomach the expenses.

2018 Grigio Telesto F80 M3 DCT | :: Bone Stock ::
2004 Titanium Silver E46 M3 6 Speed | :: Track Car ::
Appreciate 1
Kelse921131.50
      12-17-2020, 08:23 PM   #59
qba335i
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by aozer View Post
i live in dallas. it sucks ass and it isnt cheap. flat, ugly, terrible traffic. good luck finding any nice houses for 300k in dallas proper. if you want to live in some shithole on the southside then you will probably find something.
+1

I used to fly to Dallas pretty often. Nicer Houses in the metro area are comparable to Chicago (1M+) Summers are brutal and not much to do for active people.

Positives: a lot of attractive girls, good place for business (a lot of wealth) and taxes.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2020, 04:36 PM   #60
Soul_Glo
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20

I lived in the Omni for a good year. My wife was working for a company there and they put her up. I had some courses on so we made a year of it. I liked it. The drivers can be a bit unpredictable on some highways. A lot of drink driving going on. I'd pop by the gas monkey garage regularly to see their cars. I got to know Richard's dad quite well. Really nice guy. Austin was nice. A crazy journey there but every other month we'd hire a ski runner and enjoyed Lake Austin. Whilst I was there I also went to the Dallas set and did the tour. I wasn't a huge Dallas fan but my wife is so that was cool. There is a lot to do and see there.

If TXSTYLE hasn't commented he's probably the best to add more to this thread.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2020, 04:38 PM   #61
unluky
Major
Rep
Drives: 04 z4 3.0 Sport & 15 X5 35i XD

Garage List
You'll get there just in time to see it turn into CaliforniaEast
      12-18-2020, 04:47 PM   #62
Kelse92
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Former e92 M3 Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by aozer View Post
I disagree, you just have to look outside the 635 loop.
I just got two clients awesome houses for 300-400k with great setups for cars. One in a suburb is a brand new construction with 3-car garage for 350k. I personally live in a great little affordable condo with a 1-car garage right in town. It's perfect for low-maintenance and expenses. There's options all around, just have to know where to look and it isn't combined to the southern parts of town.

OP: I live and sell real estate in the Dallas and Fort Worth area, if you ever want to check out the area feel free to reach out! We have a great motorsports and BMW community and 2 road courses within an hour drive of the metroplex if you enjoy track driving
I highly recommend wherever you go doing a 1yr lease first unless you have to have a house.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosaud1998 View Post
Thank you for all the responses. Here is what I've got planned for right now. I am thinking about getting an internship during my 3rd semester at whichever two universities I decide to go to. I will either look for an internship in Houston or Fort Worth (since those are the top two cities I am thinking of moving to). If I go to Houston, I will probably rent out an apartment for 1-2 months (or however long summer break will be). If the internship is in Fort Worth, I can stay at my aunts' house. While I am in the area, I'll check out the real estate market and the area as a whole and see if I like it. If I do, after I get my bachelors I'll look for a job out in the area and boom build up from there.
This is a very good plan! Good luck! I grew up in Ft Worth and have plenty of connections as well if you are looking for tips on restaurants, areas to live, etc.

#ladydriven Heavy-spec M3 // KW Clubsports // AA x-pipe // Gintani muffler // Macht-Schnell intake // Gintani tune // OMP Seats // Too Many Apex Wheels // Stoptech ST-60 // Cobalt Friction brake pads
Appreciate 3
FastF30521.00
Mosaud19983940.50
Soul_Glo13347.00
      12-18-2020, 05:33 PM   #63
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by maul3d View Post
What are your property taxes in Toronto ? They are some of the lowest from what I heard.

I'm outside of Ancaster - 55x114ft lot 3600sqft single home - $5300
I am in Mississauga (right on Etobicoke border), 60 X 125 3200 sq ft - $9K. I gotta earn nearly 20K to pay for that ... infuckingsane.

My big issue living here is property tax is more than double back home, income taxes would see my wife and I about 22K better off yet both countries carry a similar public health system. Now add carbon tax to canada and fuck me, so tired of this shit for what, crappy weather 7 months a year? Canada's net public debt has ballooned out to 46K per man, woman and child, AUstralia's is at 23K ......so it is only going to get worse here.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2020, 07:34 PM   #64
maul3d
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I am in Mississauga (right on Etobicoke border), 60 X 125 3200 sq ft - $9K. I gotta earn nearly 20K to pay for that ... infuckingsane.

My big issue living here is property tax is more than double back home, income taxes would see my wife and I about 22K better off yet both countries carry a similar public health system. Now add carbon tax to canada and fuck me, so tired of this shit for what, crappy weather 7 months a year? Canada's net public debt has ballooned out to 46K per man, woman and child, AUstralia's is at 23K ......so it is only going to get worse here.
I agree.

It's going to get interesting. Canadas deficit has grown higher then any other G20 country during the chinese virus. Liberals are all about spending, and social benefits. Supported by the NDP, and green. Hard working class citizens are punished, just look at the tax bracket in the USA.. You have to be at 500+k /yr to match our 200k/yr canadian bracket.

How will they recoup? Some municipalities have already risen 2%+ in property taxes, Higher HST? Income tax? Tax higher capital gains? Maybe even put a capital gain on our primary homes?

The liberals promised they wouldn't raise the carbon tax, now they've committed to a 2030 target.. meanwhile China, US, and India make up for most of it...but its such a great tax grab, why not? They offer all the retards rebates, and everyone will love em. Just like when they created a harmonized tax. Get ready to pay up for the gas that heats your home, and more at the pumps ! How will this discourage us from using such resources? The whole idea of it is insane. Our boreal forests eat up 11% of the worlds carbon. Agriculture, deforestation, and farming should be priority, and the cows in fucking India farting methane gas.. not spending 15 billion on bullshit, - 6.1-billion for retrofits to residential, community and commercial buildings. LOL.. Americans are going to get fisted soon too, with Bidens and Kamala new energy deals and rejoining of the paris climate deal.

Do you remember Kathleen Wynn? Our Premier before Doug Ford. She wanted homes to be heated using the electric grid/heaters. My buddy was paying 800$ /month to heat his 1200sqft home in those! She was in bed with hydro-one . .. thank God she is gone.

I think you are absolutely nuts to have left palm trees, beaches? oceans , warm weather.. for the shithole metropolis of T.dot.. Canaduh. Lol. NO OFFENCE! must be work related? Hows the golden coast? I have a friend out there.

My wife and I are planning to move to Florida. Just waiting for the USD$ to hit that right spot..and settle a few things.

Sunshine, blue skies and beaches.... ain't life grand.

Last edited by maul3d; 12-18-2020 at 07:45 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2020, 08:12 PM   #65
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by svt1998gt View Post
i just moved back to the Dallas area from Orange county, CA but my situation is much different than yours. I have kids starting their school years and a 17 month old, so we looked for a good school district, quiet area to raise a family. plus all of our family lives in the area so free babysitting is a blessing.

I am in a better home at a 1/3 of the mortgage, but my property taxes are the same as property tax rate here are double what i paid in OC and my home is 500k cheaper. Timing was great as i got 2.5 fixed for 30 years on the home i am in property insurance is higher but my HOA is much cheaper as well.

Gas is about half the price, tolls are cheap, overall it depends on what your goals are. The prices have gone up alot as inventory has slowed down but the increase of people moving to TX hasnt slowed down.

the job market is strong in the dallas fort worth area, with a variety of industries here as well.
Thanks for sharing. I lived in Dallas (North Dallas / Addison) area and then eventually relocated to Orange County. Dallas suburbs are a great place to live. The weather can be unpredictable. While living in Dallas, I learned how to best avoid hail storms and what micro burst meant.

My neighbor said, "if you don't like weather in Texas, just wait 2 hours".

All earlier comments about the cost of living are graciously acknowledged.

Less expensive than California.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2020, 11:49 PM   #66
svt1998gt
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 e90 335i, 2012 X5 M spor

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfm56d7b View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by svt1998gt View Post
i just moved back to the Dallas area from Orange county, CA but my situation is much different than yours. I have kids starting their school years and a 17 month old, so we looked for a good school district, quiet area to raise a family. plus all of our family lives in the area so free babysitting is a blessing.

I am in a better home at a 1/3 of the mortgage, but my property taxes are the same as property tax rate here are double what i paid in OC and my home is 500k cheaper. Timing was great as i got 2.5 fixed for 30 years on the home i am in property insurance is higher but my HOA is much cheaper as well.

Gas is about half the price, tolls are cheap, overall it depends on what your goals are. The prices have gone up alot as inventory has slowed down but the increase of people moving to TX hasnt slowed down.

the job market is strong in the dallas fort worth area, with a variety of industries here as well.
Thanks for sharing. I lived in Dallas (North Dallas / Addison) area and then eventually relocated to Orange County. Dallas suburbs are a great place to live. The weather can be unpredictable. While living in Dallas, I learned how to best avoid hail storms and what micro burst meant.

My neighbor said, "if you don't like weather in Texas, just wait 2 hours".

All earlier comments about the cost of living are graciously acknowledged.

Less expensive than California.
Thanks for the reply, not a knock on OC, its a beautiful place and no place like it on earth. I lived in Aliso Viejo and then Lake Forest. Will always go back and visit, had a ton of great memories and my lil guy was born there.

enjoy the weather, funny story about the weather, my kids were cheering for the calm rain shower we experienced before our move out of California, i told my kids the rain in Texas will find you so be prepared. Our first week in Dallas, we drove into a Tornado Warning, 10 minutes later .... no rain.
Appreciate 0