BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

View Poll Results: Hours spent on computer per day
1-3 5 12.50%
4-6 7 17.50%
7-9 13 32.50%
10+ 15 37.50%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

04-22-2020, 07:29 AM   #23
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by aozer View Post
i cant imagine working in a strict office like that, so thankful for the relaxed corporate culture at my office.
She works for an outside technical contractor to an essential industry. Her company hires millennials straight out of school, and their on-site team lead is only 25 years old with purple hair and no formal management training or skills. My middle-aged DW calls the place Romper Room, because the customer's management has to keep reminding them to turn their phones off during meetings, not take 4 hour lunches, dress professionally - not in sweats/cutoff t-shirts, and show up for work before noon. Their company is *very* close to losing this contract due to lack of production, and the customer now has a senior VP babysitting them all presumably to see if any of them are worth trying to carry over when he gives the contractor the boot.

Honestly, they as a group brought the micro-management upon themselves...and should feel lucky that the customer even lets them work from home instead of terminating their company's contract and sending them all packing.....
      04-22-2020, 07:56 AM   #24
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

Is that poll with or without including the time I'm cruising Bimmerpost to blow off steam? I'm finding that it is way more exhausting to just work thru the screen, trying to cue myself for better posture, and to get up and stretch or do desk exercises. I like the idea somebody posted to do an exercise routine during my normal commute - will put that right up on top of the procrastination heap...
Appreciate 2
      04-22-2020, 10:04 AM   #25
CTinline-six
Hoonigan
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 328i, '98 Wrangler

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerDimmer6 View Post
Sounds like my Indian neighbor, I'm not sure what this guys does for work, but he's always home and LIVES to cut his grass, he's out there 3 times a week on his diesel zero turn. He then proceeds to fertilize on his non cut days with the same tractor. I bet you he burns 50 gallons a week, its honestly ridiculous.

His yard does look good though, I'll give him that.
The funny thing is this guy's lawn looks just okay, nothing special. I honestly think he just mows it way too low and then it dies from sun. He's an odd duck for sure. He blasts classical music while sitting on his back porch, then came to complain to me one day that he could hear my chainsaw. While it was 1pm... on a Saturday.

-Dr. Ian Malcolm, Jurassic Park
Appreciate 1
      04-22-2020, 10:41 AM   #26
upstatedoc
I'll get back to you
Rep
Drives: blue streak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frupal View Post
I spend about three or four hours on my small screens (iPads: pro 12.9 for this, email, FB and other nonsense and a regular iPad for reading) and then I swim about a mile in my pool. Then I make lunch and head for the media room where I will stream stuff for about 4 hours. Then I make dinner. Then I stream for another 3 or 4 hours. Then I go to bed. Lather, rinse, and repeat; day after day.

Although upon occasion I will take some time to wash and detail the cars. (See pics.) On weekends I drive. Sometimes just to Malibu, sometimes all the way to Santa Barbara and back. I don’t stop or get out of my car. I just listen to country music on Sirius and drive like the wind on relatively empty highways and freeways. It. Is. Heaven!
when do you fiddle?
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2020, 11:02 AM   #27
BimmerDimmer6
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 M3 6MT / 2019 Raptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTinline-six View Post
The funny thing is this guy's lawn looks just okay, nothing special. I honestly think he just mows it way too low and then it dies from sun. He's an odd duck for sure. He blasts classical music while sitting on his back porch, then came to complain to me one day that he could hear my chainsaw. While it was 1pm... on a Saturday.
To be honest, I am beginning to catch a glimpse into how these losers think. This being home all the time crap has me paying attention to shit I never noticed. I am thinking about a getting a mower myself, but I feel like it’s just a temporary urge at this point lol
Appreciate 2
      04-22-2020, 12:49 PM   #28
Frupal
Mad Fiddler
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 640i GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by upstatedoc View Post
when do you fiddle?
Good question! I was just thinking about that yesterday. There was a time (about 30 years!) when I ‘fiddled’ for at least an hour every single day. Nowadays, though, I find that I only practice when I have upcoming performances. I haven’t touched it in a month! Who knows? It might help to break up my day if I throw an hour or so of fiddling in there somewhere.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2020, 03:26 PM   #29
BimmerDimmer6
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by upstatedoc View Post
when do you fiddle?
Good question! I was just thinking about that yesterday. There was a time (about 30 years!) when I 'fiddled' for at least an hour every single day. Nowadays, though, I find that I only practice when I have upcoming performances. I haven't touched it in a month! Who knows? It might help to break up my day if I throw an hour or so of fiddling in there somewhere.
I played the trumpet throughout HS and college, but then I got married and that all went to hell.

Thinking about getting back into it though, I still have my old ytr 2330. Maybe it will piss off my neighbor enough to work out some sort of deal, quit cutting your grass 10 times a week and I won't play my trumpet in the garage at 2am lol
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2020, 03:39 PM   #30
Frupal
Mad Fiddler
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 640i GC

Quote:
I played the trumpet throughout HS and college, but then I got married and that all went to hell.

Thinking about getting back into it though, I still have my old ytr 2330. Maybe it will piss off my neighbor enough to work out some sort of deal, quit cutting your grass 10 times a week and I won't play my trumpet in the garage at 2am lol
Lol! He’s probably bored out of his mind! I’s worry more about annoying your wife.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2020, 03:55 PM   #31
BimmerDimmer6
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Lol! He’s probably bored out of his mind! I’s worry more about annoying your wife.
Good point. Me being home all day annoys her enough, I couldn't imagine firing up the trumpet right now. LOL

The only good thing about this being home crap is wife cooking, I'm eating like a normal human again, I haven't had a legit breakfast in months before this. Usually just grab a coffee and go
Appreciate 1
Frupal779.50
      04-23-2020, 02:54 AM   #32
eluded
2JZ-GTE
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: 340 6MT, 50e, others

Staring all day at the screen wondering what new monitor to get. 43 inches wide curved for her pleasure? Sounds tempting.
Appreciate 2
Frupal779.50
      04-23-2020, 03:01 AM   #33
AlpineWhite_SJ
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ZCP, 2020 F97 X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by eluded View Post
Staring all day at the screen wondering what new monitor to get. 43 inches wide curved for her pleasure? Sounds tempting.
34” Dell curved is plenty goood unless you’re running a nuclear power plant.
Appreciate 1
      04-23-2020, 10:12 AM   #34
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
The talking heads on the NYC TV news had an ophthalmologist on this morning, with advice for people getting headaches from too much screen time. She said to use the 20/20/20 rule...take an eye break every 20 minutes...looking at something at least 20 feet away...for 20 full seconds.....
      04-23-2020, 10:19 AM   #35
BimmerDimmer6
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpineWhite_SJ View Post
34” Dell curved is plenty goood unless you’re running a nuclear power plant.
I'm actually in the market for a new monitor also. I don't like a huge screen for some reason, but do you guys have any recommendations for a 27" that I can dock, preferably with USB C connectivity?

I will be using my 2017 MBP 13" for docking.

From my understanding, the idea here is to find a monitor thats close to your built in display resolution? I could be making this up, but it kind of makes sense.

Here is mine:

Name:  Screen Shot 2020-04-23 at 11.11.56 AM.png
Views: 835
Size:  86.2 KB
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2020, 10:57 AM   #36
AlpineWhite_SJ
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ZCP, 2020 F97 X3MC

Quote:
I'm actually in the market for a new monitor also. I don't like a huge screen for some reason, but do you guys have any recommendations for a 27" that I can dock, preferably with USB C connectivity?

From my understanding, the idea here is to find a monitor thats close to your built in display resolution? I could be making this up, but it kind of makes sense.

Here is mine:

Attachment 2292577
I’ve always had fairly good luck with Dell Ultrasharp LCDs or Apple displays. Non-IPS panels will give you better color accuracy generally. Can’t really suggest a 27” model since I haven’t looked at anything smaller than 30” in years, but maybe others have suggestions.

There also used to be scaling issues with 4K monitors in MacOS and Windows, but haven’t kept up with whether those were resolved on Mac platform.
Appreciate 1
      04-23-2020, 12:03 PM   #37
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic

Quote:

Here is mine:
I just set up this one to pair up with my 27" iMac.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00N2L5CXO/

I got it from Amazon, but now it seems to be only 3rd party sellers. But you can check B&H or NewEgg. You'll probably have to source a USB-C to Display Port or HDMI cable. This one will handle 2560x1440, which doesn't match your laptop perfectly, but that's because your laptop screen is a slightly different ratio. This should work fine as a second screen. It's not IPS, but I find it's pretty close to the image quality of the iMac (non-Retina in my case). And it won't break the bank. I paid $376 with tax. There are several similar screens out there in that price range. Just make sure you get one that will handle 2560x1440 at least.

There's also a cool little free app in the Apple store called Display Menu. It sits up top and gives you a whole slew of available resolutions, so you can adjust your laptop's resolution to 2560x1440 if you're not going to be using the laptop screen along with your monitor.
Attached Images

"There is no shame in dropping fruit in your glass."
-UncleWede

Last edited by M_Six; 04-23-2020 at 12:10 PM..
Appreciate 2
vreihen1614885.00
      04-23-2020, 12:35 PM   #38
tcphoto
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i 6MT Coupe

I spend most of my day in front of the computer. Between reading work related information, news and then streaming Netflix or Hulu. I prefer to not watch the news and be spoon fed but like hearing or reading confirmed facts...not propaganda.
      04-23-2020, 10:22 PM   #39
BimmerDimmer6
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Six View Post
Quote:

Here is mine:
I just set up this one to pair up with my 27" iMac.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00N2L5CXO/

I got it from Amazon, but now it seems to be only 3rd party sellers. But you can check B&H or NewEgg. You'll probably have to source a USB-C to Display Port or HDMI cable. This one will handle 2560x1440, which doesn't match your laptop perfectly, but that's because your laptop screen is a slightly different ratio. This should work fine as a second screen. It's not IPS, but I find it's pretty close to the image quality of the iMac (non-Retina in my case). And it won't break the bank. I paid $376 with tax. There are several similar screens out there in that price range. Just make sure you get one that will handle 2560x1440 at least.

There's also a cool little free app in the Apple store called Display Menu. It sits up top and gives you a whole slew of available resolutions, so you can adjust your laptop's resolution to 2560x1440 if you're not going to be using the laptop screen along with your monitor.
That's perfect man! Thanks I'm gonna order it tomorrow I think.

It looks good too.
Appreciate 1
M_Six16536.50
      04-23-2020, 10:49 PM   #40
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic

Quote:
That's perfect man! Thanks I'm gonna order it tomorrow I think.

It looks good too.
I like it. Nice clean look next to the iMac.
Attached Images

"There is no shame in dropping fruit in your glass."
-UncleWede
Appreciate 1