BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

04-20-2020, 01:06 PM   #441
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

My son's GF got furloughed but picked up InstaCart. She is making a killing! Somebody gave her a $50 tip yesterday for 6 bags of stuff.

I went to HomeDepot twice this weekend. Second time actually had to wait about 5 minutes because the returns line was backing up. Store entry was not delayed. I had picked the wrong color of door handles and brought the boss-wife with me the second time.

Sunday morning I cruised over to Smart&Final, needed some sodas and cereal and cheese. No line, no worries, everything I needed and more was there.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2020, 01:07 PM   #442
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

My question is: Why can't I buy clothing???? While I won't worry about underwear, soon I'm gonna need some new socks.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2020, 02:01 PM   #443
wdb
dances with roads
Rep
Drives: '07 E86, '02 996, '95 Seven

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
My question is: Why can't I buy clothing???? While I won't worry about underwear, soon I'm gonna need some new socks.
https://www.this-night.com/

The most comfortable socks ever.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2020, 02:08 PM   #444
wdb
dances with roads
Rep
Drives: '07 E86, '02 996, '95 Seven

One thing I've noticed, on two fronts now, is that Amazon is fading as my seller of choice.

1. If I attempt to order anything from them that they deem non-essential, I get a delivery date weeks in the future. This causes me to look for those items elsewhere. So far I have found them elsewhere, with much more normal looking delivery timelines. The most recent was an iPad I'm gifting to my parents so they can actually see people besides the folks they're locked up with in their senior facility. Delivery in a couple of days versus almost a month. Big difference.

2. Heavy stuff from Amazon, no more. I ordered a transmission jack through them. It came from a distributor of some sort. The Chinese-made unit was packaged so poorly that it burst out of the crate during shipping, resulting in the loss of a bunch of small parts needed to make the unit functional. They graciously sent an entire new unit after I cajoled and browbeat them for about a week. That one also arrived in a horrendous mess. Moral: Amazon can't ship heavy stuff to my door reliably. So when it came time to order a workbench I went to Amazon and carefully read the reviews. Wonder of wonder there were plenty of "damaged in shipment" complaints. I ordered it from Home Depot, picked it up at the store. Perfect package. Good price. I'm ordering a lot less from Amazon these days.
Appreciate 2
      04-20-2020, 02:58 PM   #445
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic

Amazon has definitely extended their delivery times. I just wish they say that when you're looking at an item. I bought a clothes tree yesterday and it said delivery this week until I went to actually pay for it. Then delivery was suddenly into May. I ordered it anyway since I'm in no rush.

Some stuff I've ordered that was a week or more out did show up much sooner, though.

"There is no shame in dropping fruit in your glass."
-UncleWede
Appreciate 2
      04-20-2020, 03:07 PM   #446
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Amazon is all over the place. Some stuff shows up later than expected. Mother stuff not expected for a month shows up in a few days.
      04-20-2020, 03:33 PM   #447
Turkish Pickle
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 330i xDrive

Garage List
Amazon's really been slacking lately. I don't understand why Newegg can ship computer hardware in 3 days from CA to IL but Amazon takes 3-4 weeks to deliver the same in stock item, at a higher price too. Not even an option to pick Prime/faster shipping.

However I'll say this - so long as Amazon doesn't start using UPS they are alright in my book.
Appreciate 1
RickFLM410876.00
      04-20-2020, 03:55 PM   #448
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkish Pickle View Post
Amazon's really been slacking lately. I don't understand why Newegg can ship computer hardware in 3 days from CA to IL but Amazon takes 3-4 weeks to deliver the same in stock item, at a higher price too. Not even an option to pick Prime/faster shipping.

However I'll say this - so long as Amazon doesn't start using UPS they are alright in my book.
More deliveries from UPS, FedEx and USPS coming soon...

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-a...-idUSKBN21P3EB
vreihen1614883.50
      04-20-2020, 04:38 PM   #449
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkish Pickle View Post

If it's not prime its most likely not sold by Amazon, but rather a 3rd party seller who can set whatever ship time they want. Also unlike Amazon Newegg doesn't sell toilet paper, paper towels and all the other everyday stuff Amazon does. My guess is Amazon is probably overloaded with orders for stuff people use to just pickup at the grocery store. I know we are ordering shit from amazon we typically wouldn't.

That being said I haven't had any major issues with Amazon. Everything has arrived at a reasonable time. However if it does say it will take weeks I typically buy a different one that doesn't say that long.
Appreciate 1
vreihen1614883.50
      04-20-2020, 05:23 PM   #450
Turkish Pickle
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickFLM4 View Post
More deliveries from UPS, FedEx and USPS coming soon...

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-a...-idUSKBN21P3EB
not UPS! Fedex and USPS here work fairly well but UPS has made me consider bathtub toaster time every single time I had something come with them...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingat30fps View Post
If it's not prime its most likely not sold by Amazon, but rather a 3rd party seller who can set whatever ship time they want. Also unlike Amazon Newegg doesn't sell toilet paper, paper towels and all the other everyday stuff Amazon does. My guess is Amazon is probably overloaded with orders for stuff people use to just pickup at the grocery store. I know we are ordering shit from amazon we typically wouldn't.

That being said I haven't had any major issues with Amazon. Everything has arrived at a reasonable time. However if it does say it will take weeks I typically buy a different one that doesn't say that long.
No even with my Prime and sold by: Amazon (not sold by: random store) it took so long.

What makes little sense to me (then again maybe it's a warehouse location thing) was that because it's a personal hygiene item my completely optional electric toothbrush came in 2 days in a box considerably bigger than the packaging and bubbles they put in. I just think they could've optimized it better to take up less space in a truck or whatever they transport the packages in while prioritizing personal items to disturb the normal flow less.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2020, 06:57 PM   #451
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic

I'm just the opposite. The closest Fedex distro points are Champaign and Effingham. Fedex delivery here is spotty. Sometimes they deliver on time, other times they don't. It's especially frustrating when an item is supposed to deliver on Friday and they skip it.

UPS has a distro warehouse abut 6 miles away, so I always get a delivery if it makes it to the warehouse before the truck leaves for the day's deliveries. And if it's a pricey item, I can have it held at the warehouse and just run over after work and pick it up. They've even started live truck tracking so I know when to be up by the door to meet the driver.

"There is no shame in dropping fruit in your glass."
-UncleWede
Appreciate 1
      04-20-2020, 07:01 PM   #452
IllSic_Design
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Six View Post
I'm just the opposite. The closest Fedex distro points are Champaign and Effingham. Fedex delivery here is spotty. Sometimes they deliver on time, other times they don't. It's especially frustrating when an item is supposed to deliver on Friday and they skip it.

UPS has a distro warehouse abut 6 miles away, so I always get a delivery if it makes it to the warehouse before the truck leaves for the day's deliveries. And if it's a pricey item, I can have it held at the warehouse and just run over after work and pick it up. They've even started live truck tracking so I know when to be up by the door to meet the driver.
Same here, it all depends on your location. I NEVER have problems with UPS, but ALMOST ALWAYS have trouble with FEDEX in my area. Fedex will say they tried to deliver and no one was home when they never tried, they will randomly just say they couldn't deliver for some reason, it was put on the wrong truck, etc... Always something with them lol, but I see everyone else praise them.
Appreciate 1
M_Six16535.00
      04-20-2020, 07:20 PM   #453
upstatedoc
I'll get back to you
Rep
Drives: blue streak

Does amazon sell weed?
Appreciate 1
Murf99314114.00
      04-20-2020, 07:32 PM   #454
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by upstatedoc View Post
Does amazon sell weed?
Only in states beginning with C
      04-20-2020, 07:39 PM   #455
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

Quote:

Same, however now days it seems 90% of my Amazon orders are delivered by Amazon. They are good also.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2020, 07:41 PM   #456
upstatedoc
I'll get back to you
Rep
Drives: blue streak

Quote:
Quote:
Does amazon sell weed?
I c what you did there
Appreciate 1
Murf99314114.00
      04-20-2020, 08:17 PM   #457
jamesinaz
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 2017 540i

Garage List
Quote:
Well why isn't recreational weed available in Carizona.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2020, 08:19 PM   #458
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesinaz View Post
Quote:
Well why isn't recreational weed available in Carizona.
Because residents of said Carizona didn't vote for said delivery :
      04-20-2020, 11:58 PM   #459
Turkish Pickle
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

That'll do it - UPS has delayed everything for me so I'd even bet they use the warehouse near you.

Which is surprising because I'm pretty sure there's a UPS warehouse a few miles away from where Fedex is
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2020, 01:35 AM   #460
AlpineWhite_SJ
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ZCP, 2020 F97 X3MC

Quote:
Because residents of said Carizona didn't vote for said delivery :
Don’t even need Amazon for delivery in our state. Or so I hear...
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2020, 07:06 AM   #461
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
Quote:
Does amazon sell weed?
No, but you would be surprised what you *can* get from resellers on Amazon (but not Amazon themselves) that requires a prescription to buy in New Yorkistan! Syringes, diabetic testing supplies, veterinary medications, etc.....
      04-22-2020, 10:58 AM   #462
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Sometime in mid-March I ordered a package of Charmin through Google Marketplace. It never showed up and the vendor’s website vanished so I disputed the charge through Visa and got a refund. Fine.

Today I go out to the mailbox and notice a package from China. I ordered a Lenovo laptop and thought it might be accessories or something. When I opened the package a bunch of small paper rolls fell out. I think this must be that order from mid-March. Here is what I got, pictured next to an actual roll of toilet paper, Ginger (our new puppy) and a roll of adding machine tape I found in my supply closet (with our other dog Winston investigating).
Attached Images

wdb4673.00
vreihen1614883.50
kscarrol8775.50
Dpc2u11503.00
M_Six16535.00
bosstones1144.00