BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

08-29-2018, 08:10 PM   #1
jaye944
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: a

My cooker is not leaking!

I posted this a while ago,
there was a bunch of water under the cooker, usually after using the oven, coulndt trace the leak so looked at condensation issues, leaving the oven door ajar after cooking seemed to help.

GUESS WHAT, I feel like a real twat, it's the fridge ! (GRRRR)

The fridge/freezer (freezer is on the bottom) = and wife found this out
has a trickle of water which goes through the tile grouting to under the oven door, of course I use the oven to usually do things from the freezer

Tracked it down today, it's really hard to see, but it then breaks up under the oven and pools up there.

SO now I know I don't have a leaky cooker LOLZ

Any idea on why my freezer is leaking water, there does appear to be a ice on the bottom inside of the door.

Any ideas on fixxes and things to check

TXS
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2018, 08:41 PM   #2
arkie6
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i sedan

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Leaking door gasket letting warm outside air in? That ice on the bottom of the door could be blocking full closure of the door seal?
Appreciate 1
jaye9441014.00
      08-29-2018, 09:24 PM   #3
jaye944
Captain
No_Country
Rep

hmm yeah, the gasket on the top has a crack, but it does lock closed
i have heard wife yelling, "please shut the freezer door" when it obviously hasnt closed

difficult to explain, but the ice seems to be in the door, (horizontal bit)
as opposed to where the sill sits

was just googling just now and came across this

"During the defrost cycle, freezers drain water from a drain tube. This water has to go somewhere or else it will leak onto your floor. There are several ways that manufacturers drain the water out of their freezer models and then store it or vent it once the freezer is drained."

When I get a chance and the house is empty, I'll have a look at that seal as you suggested

There does and is a lot of ice build up , looks like something has melted and re-freezed, as the lower tray drawer has frozen solid,

kinda suggests that it's defrosting and refreezing, but that water is not going where it should be, i.e. the drain tube, so it looks like I'm gonna have to pull things apart and check
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2018, 06:58 AM   #4
2000cs
Captain
Rep
Drives: Potato

The refrigerator might have a drain pan underneath; if so it could need a good cleaning and dump the accumulated water (might have been overflowing)
Appreciate 1
jaye9441014.00
      08-30-2018, 08:17 AM   #5
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

You should start some kind of youtube channel for these household 'whodunits'. I know I check in regularly for the next installment of 'what's really going on at Jaye's place'.

Good chance that this is either a leak or blockage in the defrost drain line, or you are building up ice in the walls that alternately melts away then reforms. Work the defrost drain angle first, as it is simpler (we had this from our cat knocking the catch pan askew). You might be lucky enough that it is just condensation on some uninsulated part, but that would tend to be ongoing, not a cycle. On an older freezer, ice can also invade the insulation (like how it works into rock cracks, widening the area each freeze cycle). Since it is the walls, it will melt when the unit cycles off, then refreeze/expands as it cycles back on (and would melt more from oven heat, giving you the intermittent leak when using the oven). You might be able to notice by hand if there are very cold spots. Fix is a major PITA - at very least, you are emptying and defrosting the whole unit - probably not worth it to save the energy costs, unless the leak is going to cause real damage.
Appreciate 2
DETRoadster11462.50
jaye9441014.00
      08-30-2018, 05:29 PM   #6
jaye944
Captain
No_Country
Rep

LOL dude, your right, maybe I should add a playlist to my existing channel.

Yeah,man, I'll give that a try,

Problem is the freezer gets jammed up with food, never gets used, so I'm sure things get blocked, I hope (and can only pray) wife and daughter are going away for the long weekend and I'll have the house to myself to do some sleuthing

txs again man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maynard View Post
You should start some kind of youtube channel for these household 'whodunits'. I know I check in regularly for the next installment of 'what's really going on at Jaye's place'.

Good chance that this is either a leak or blockage in the defrost drain line, or you are building up ice in the walls that alternately melts away then reforms. Work the defrost drain angle first, as it is simpler (we had this from our cat knocking the catch pan askew). You might be lucky enough that it is just condensation on some uninsulated part, but that would tend to be ongoing, not a cycle. On an older freezer, ice can also invade the insulation (like how it works into rock cracks, widening the area each freeze cycle). Since it is the walls, it will melt when the unit cycles off, then refreeze/expands as it cycles back on (and would melt more from oven heat, giving you the intermittent leak when using the oven). You might be able to notice by hand if there are very cold spots. Fix is a major PITA - at very least, you are emptying and defrosting the whole unit - probably not worth it to save the energy costs, unless the leak is going to cause real damage.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2018, 05:38 PM   #7
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

When was the last time a bag of frozen peas was in your freezer? Unless the answer is Never, I'll lay 10-1 odds your drain tube has at least one near the outlet in the freezer.

At least 2 generations of Wedes have paid for this repair at least once. . .
Appreciate 1
jaye9441014.00
      09-04-2018, 12:36 PM   #8
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Meat Suit

My cooker leaked once:

Sarcastic joke A: I made her start wearing adult diapers.

Sarcastic Joke B: It was the heating element. I replaced the water supply line to the heating element. Turned out the water supply line was clogged up with refrigerant from the dishwasher.

Reading Jayes home DIY posts are like watching This Old House if Jessica Simpson was the host.
Appreciate 0