BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

07-02-2023, 06:15 PM   #45
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Limegrntaln View Post
Right next to a sign, posted near the register that says, "Everyone is short staffed. Please be courteous to the people that did show up."
This is a serious problem here. The local ice cream stand cannot find enough workers to open on weekday evenings, and there is a huge lifeguard shortage at both beaches and pools even with starting pay at $21+/hour.

I too went to the Buckhorn here for dinner today, which is a chain restaurant at truck stops. As usual, they only have one server/register person on duty, and that poor woman was *slammed* with customers.....
      07-02-2023, 06:38 PM   #46
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep
Drives: OG M2 • Exige

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esteban View Post
I always tip my hair cutter too. She takes her time and does a great job.
I tip my girl very well, she does it right every time, and she comes to our home!
Appreciate 2
      07-02-2023, 07:38 PM   #47
3.0L
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M235i, 20k miles

We only go to regular restaurants, and we only go to those that have good food and good service.

Having said that, I tip 20%.

Go where you get good food and good service.

When writing your life's plan, use a pencil with an eraser
Appreciate 2
Esteban43745.00
DocL1930.00
      07-02-2023, 08:07 PM   #48
Kowalski2011
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 135i-11E93-M3-01 Z3-91 M5

Garage List
1991 BMW M5  [9.38]
2011 BMW 135i  [7.00]
2001 BMW Z3 3.0i  [8.50]
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
When I was in high school I worked as a short order cook, my good food completed timely meant good tips for the wait staff.

At a restaurant if all works well, service, food, timely etc. then 20% in the charge. The other night we had less than good service, obviously the kitchen and bar staff slow, food mediocre. The poor server depends on them doing their jobs. Not her fault, I tipped her directly 10 bucks on a 40 dollar bill and smiled and said to her, "not your fault"

I tip but I prefer to keep it situational and MY choice. And if anyone ever hawks me for a tip then it's Norfolk and Waypal.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2023, 08:44 PM   #49
jsf721
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i X M Sport

I only tip at restaurants and 15-20 percent depending on service.

I don’t tip take out that I pick up. I do tip like pizza or Chinese food delivery 5 bucks.

If someone does work in my home I tip accordingly.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2023, 10:40 PM   #50
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by c1pher View Post
One thing I think servers have forgotten is how to make things right or comp you when things go wrong in order to earn tips. I’ve had many meals come out late, cold, wrong side or they somehow forgot to bring an appetizer etc. None seem willing to go back to the kitchen to make sure the meal is right or willing to discount your meal to make things right. I’m just tipping for you to be a mindless machine which is why many of these jobs will be replaced by them.

I’ve even noticed I have to ask for drink refills more often or the server just vanishes. They also seem to have a process they can’t deviate from because it must be overwhelming. When you seat me and make me wait 5-10 minutes, just long enough for me to consider walking out, and finally show up and just want to take my drink order when I’m ready to order my meal but you get perplexed because it’s too much information or something it just makes everything much slower and frustrating. Turning tables more quickly gives you more opportunities to make tips. I realize some people will eat then sit forever, but if you give quick service, most people will leave once they are done.
Servers can't comp you if there are issues with your meal. That has to come from the manager. I know. I used to wait tables while in college. Now, if the server doesn't approach the manager to explain the situation, then that's on the server.

On the topic of drink refills. I was at a restaurant one time where there was a shift change. I was sitting close enough to where the manager was having a pep talk with the incoming shift wait staff. One of the things that struck me that she said was her reminding the wait staff to refill the drinks when the glass is half full. Did I receive good service that day at this restaurant? You bet.

Having waited tables, I know how hard of a job it is if you're actually providing good service. So I always tip 20% as my base line. More if the service was exceptional. You'd really have to piss me off for me to go below 20%.
Appreciate 2
c1pher4671.50
      07-03-2023, 07:51 AM   #51
CTinline-six
Hoonigan
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 328i, '98 Wrangler

Garage List
Stopped tipping? Hardly, I tip well for excellent service. With that said, if I pick up take out and the little ipad screen is flipped around to have me sign and provide a tip, no tip from me, as no extra service was provided. Companies need to stop using this as an excuse to pay their workers less.

I worked for Dunkin' in high school (2006-2008) and we had a tip jar. Some customer decided they wanted to steal the tips one day, so the solution of our franchise was to punish the workers by taking away the tip jar, and any tips were to be included in the daily earnings of the store.

-Dr. Ian Malcolm, Jurassic Park
Appreciate 1
      07-03-2023, 08:11 AM   #52
spazzyfry123
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Here and There

Garage List
Attached Images

Appreciate 10
      07-03-2023, 08:42 AM   #53
hubbahubba
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3CX

I tip those who deserve it. Like has been mentioned before, jobs like fast food where you have somebody that may or not be enganged in their job, and really couldn't give a rip if my fries are cold, that guy, no way. OTOH, if I go to a sit down meal of any kind, whether at the local pub or a finer dining establishment, (and especially if we are regulars at the restaurant and know the server or bartender), under $100 tab and the tip will be $10/person in the party. Over $100 and if good service, it will be at least $10/person or 25%, whichever is greater. Why so much? Chances are REALLY good that we will be back. I want every single server that we come in contact with to remember us, and treat us well the next time we come in. Along those same lines, we treat them with respect and are courteous. That goes a long way when there might be some db that is otherwise wrecking their shift. And they're out there.

For you guys that don't tip, c'mon.. Blow the dust off your wallet. Do you know that whether you tip the server or not, that server is usually responsible to pay out to others on the crew a tip out at the end of the night that is based on their gross sales? Not only are you not recognizing their efforts, you are putting them further in the hole when it comes time to pay their co-workers based on your check sum. Throw down a couple bucks. You won't miss it.
Appreciate 4
      07-03-2023, 08:42 AM   #54
carseatsm5
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M5

Was eating out at a very nice place and in fine print menu said “A 4% charge will be added to bill to pay staff fair wages and benefits. Please ask server if you’d like this removed.” Both outrageous and devious!
Appreciate 2
Esteban43745.00
M2siast5876.00
      07-03-2023, 08:50 AM   #55
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by carseatsm5 View Post
Was eating out at a very nice place and in fine print menu said “A 4% charge will be added to bill to pay staff fair wages and benefits. Please ask server if you’d like this removed.” Both outrageous and devious!
I don't like that tactic either. Just adjust the prices instead of showing artificially lower prices, adding 4% and then expect people to figure out how to tip on top of that. They probably cost their employees tips with that maneuver.
Esteban43745.00
hubbahubba8815.00
M2siast5876.00
Clark_Kent2227.50
      07-03-2023, 08:53 AM   #56
wtwo3
Major General
Rep
Drives: 23 X7 40i; 23 M3; 24 cooper s

Garage List
I'm conflicted on this subject. I totally agree that tipping culture has gotten way out of hand. In my mind the purpose of a tip is to reward good service - a sort of bonus for going above and beyond the minimum job description - however the entire concept of the tip is lost when it's expected of you to tip. It cheapens the experience... I feel I'm no longer tipping on my own accord, I'm tipping because I feel like I HAVE to.

On the flip side, on a personal (and anecdotal) level, I'm fortunate enough to be doing well financially, so I don't mind tipping for a service I receive. An extra couple dollars is probably a bigger gain for those receiving the tip than it is a loss for me.

'20 BMW m340i... '20 BMW X5 40i... '16 Infiniti Q50 RS 400... '10 Lexus RX 350... '08 Lexus IS 350... '00 Nissan Maxima... '93 Nissan Maxima
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2023, 08:58 AM   #57
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: a slow car fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickFLM4 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by carseatsm5 View Post
I don't like that tactic either. Just adjust the prices instead of showing artificially lower prices, adding 4% and then expect people to figure out how to tip on top of that. They probably cost their employees tips with that maneuver.
Yes, let us make our own decisions and quit trying to find clever ways to take our money.
      07-03-2023, 09:29 AM   #58
hubbahubba
Captain
Rep

Quote:
This. Reprint your menus ya' cheapo.
Appreciate 1
RickFLM410979.50
      07-03-2023, 10:01 AM   #59
Limegrntaln
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 DG/BLk xDrive M4C Wk 34

Garage List
Quote:
The price increases as of late, are an entirely new thread. For some reason, the other day, I felt the need to stop at Wendy's, which I haven't been to in years. The Jr. Bacon Cheeseburger is this little burger, that "used" to be on the $0.99 menu.

So, I pull up, not really paying attention to the menu, I know what I want. They're little sliders, so, I order 3, and a drink. I get to the window, and I'm still not really paying attention. Im checking traffic route on Waze, and I get up to pay. I take the receipt, and toss it on the passenger seat, grab the bag, and I'm on my way.

I get home, and grab everything out of my car, to go inside. I like to throw anything away that I don't need to bring into the house. I grab the receipt off the seat, just happen to see the final price. $15.07. I immediately thought they charged me too much. The $0.99 menu burgers, are now $3.49 each. The drink was pretty much the same as a burger.

Appreciate 2
hubbahubba8815.00
M2siast5876.00
      07-03-2023, 10:10 AM   #60
Clark_Kent
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Retired

Quote:
I agree, it's a terrible practice and disingenuous because I believe the added expenses are already baked in. The additional X% for (insert your social cause of the day) is added margin. It's business 101 to care for COGS/COS and overhead in product pricing. As a business, you don't say: "We're keeping our pricing the same but will charge you a 7% surcharge because in the last six months labor costs have surged." You simply raise the price on the good or service and move forward.

Last edited by Clark_Kent; 07-03-2023 at 10:42 AM..
Appreciate 1
RickFLM410979.50
      07-03-2023, 10:12 AM   #61
hubbahubba
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limegrntaln View Post
The price increases as of late, are an entirely new thread. For some reason, the other day, I felt the need to stop at Wendy's, which I haven't been to in years. The Jr. Bacon Cheeseburger is this little burger, that "used" to be on the $0.99 menu.

So, I pull up, not really paying attention to the menu, I know what I want. They're little sliders, so, I order 3, and a drink. I get to the window, and I'm still not really paying attention. Im checking traffic route on Waze, and I get up to pay. I take the receipt, and toss it on the passenger seat, grab the bag, and I'm on my way.

I get home, and grab everything out of my car, to go inside. I like to throw anything away that I don't need to bring into the house. I grab the receipt off the seat, just happen to see the final price. $15.07. I immediately thought they charged me too much. The $0.99 menu burgers, are now $3.49 each. The drink was pretty much the same as a burger.
I went through the same thing this weekend, except at Jack in the Box. I stopped in for some breakfast sandwiches. Got 3 Supreme Croissants for the family, and a value menu Jr bacon cheeseburger for the dog. Like you, I wasn't really paying attention to the menu, I knew what I wanted. Got to the window and about fell out of my car when she said $26.87 please... It got worse when I got home and opened the bag. "Supreme Croissant", I think not. Tiniest sandwich ever, and $6.59 each. Sooo not worth it.
Appreciate 2
Limegrntaln13469.00
Esteban43745.00
      07-03-2023, 10:23 AM   #62
Theruleslawyer
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 m4

Its just so pervasive now, its insane. It used to be just a few positions that legally were paid lower than minimum wage. Now everyone has their hand out. The proliferation of POS terminals online ordering has made it so much worse.

Employers love it because it shifts responsibility for wages off of them. Make the customer the bad guy when they wont pay another 5% on top of the menu prices going up 50% over the last couple years.

I don't blame employees wanting it. They are paid shit, and any money looks good to them. However it creates this incentive to harass the customer. The fun bit is that service level has been proven to have very little impact on tips. Its in the employee's interested to provide bad service to a large number of tables.

I just wish they'd roll it into the prices. My wife is a chronic over tipper. I hate being guilt tripped every freaking tip I buy something. I'd be much happier if the cost was the cost.
Appreciate 2
      07-03-2023, 10:27 AM   #63
Theruleslawyer
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 m4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark_Kent View Post
This thread is timely as I just listened to The Stuff They Don't Want You To Know episode on tipping. I'm not into conspiracy theories but this is a decent listen if you are into podcasts. Throughline also ran an episode on tipping a couple years back. Like everything else, eat the meat and throw away the bones.

PSA: This is an apolitical topic, so I don't want to hear shit about politics. Thank you.
Is there a TLDR version of that? I'm not sitting through an hour podcast.
Appreciate 1
M2siast5876.00
      07-03-2023, 10:37 AM   #64
Clark_Kent
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theruleslawyer View Post
Is there a TLDR version of that? I'm not sitting through an hour podcast.
Then don't. Not sure if there's a summary out there.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2023, 10:43 AM   #65
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hubbahubba View Post
I went through the same thing this weekend, except at Jack in the Box. I stopped in for some breakfast sandwiches. Got 3 Supreme Croissants for the family, and a value menu Jr bacon cheeseburger for the dog. Like you, I wasn't really paying attention to the menu, I knew what I wanted. Got to the window and about fell out of my car when she said $26.87 please... It got worse when I got home and opened the bag. "Supreme Croissant", I think not. Tiniest sandwich ever, and $6.59 each. Sooo not worth it.
I think the fast food chains have all mostly maxed out on prices over the past 2 years and are driving traffic losses with prices. Right now, that's fine when labor is tough to find and in fact this is working well for them (both franchisors and franchisees) at the moment. But one day they will want that traffic back and it will be difficult to get back by then without major discounting.
hubbahubba8815.00
      07-03-2023, 10:46 AM   #66
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark_Kent View Post
I agree, it's a terrible practice and disingenuous because I believe the added expenses are already baked in. The additional X% for (insert your social cause of the day) is added margin. It's business 101 to care for COGS/COS and overhead in product pricing. As a business, you don't say: "We're keeping our pricing the same but will charge you a 7% surcharge because in the last six months labor costs have surged." You simply raise the price on the good or service and move forward.
I think (guessing) they got the idea from FedEx and UPS adding fuel surcharges to their pricing when fuel prices spike. Then they just leave them there or take them away and adjust base pricing when they take them away. Then rinse and repeat next time fuel prices increase.