BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

08-25-2023, 10:15 PM   #89
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep
Drives: OG M2 • Exige

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingham_M2C View Post
We’re pretty spoiled with The Ryman here in Nashville…epic venue particularly if it’s your band/jam.
We used to be spoiled in STL with Mississippi Nights. Saw so many bands there. Tori Amos was so quiet on her first tour that she made them turn the middle fans off...and it took them a few minutes to find the switch because they never get turned off. Those were the days...
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2023, 06:56 AM   #90
RobotDoctor
Professional Nomad
Rep
Drives: 2019 440i F36 Sportline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingham_M2C View Post
I’ve got to get to Red Rocks…been dreaming of going to show there for ages. And just watched the Tredeschi Trucks band livestream a couple weeks ago. This thread will help me quit procrastinating.

We’re pretty spoiled with The Ryman here in Nashville…epic venue particularly if it’s your band/jam.

Some favs and recents:
Harry Connick (man that was a long time ago)
Cake
BMFS
Goose
Bobby with his wolf pack
Red Rocks is certainly a destination but to see one of your favorite bands there is simply an experience!!! Best of luck and make it happen. You won't regret it.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2023, 06:34 AM   #91
RobotDoctor
Professional Nomad
Rep
Drives: 2019 440i F36 Sportline

My wife and I saw Earth Wind and Fire and Lionel Richie last night at the Amalie Center in Tampa. EW&F was a bucket list concert. Lionel Richie wasn’t but what a show he put on. He’s a definite showman and we’ll worth seeing. We’re glad we did and we had a great time!
Appreciate 1
cmyx6go15762.50
      08-30-2023, 04:44 PM   #92
bigrum
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 M3 ZCP

Good- Linkin Park, so grateful I was able to experience Chester's vocals while he was still alive. No studio magic there, he can belt it out. I saw LP 8 times live.
Aaron Lewis of Staind (before he went country). He stops his show and gets pissed when people talk, but that's like trying to boil the ocean.
Incubus (twice).
Ellie Goulding
Family Values Tour 2001
Jodeci, Mary J. Blige, the Notorious B.I.G., Naughty by Nature, Luniz (1995)

Bad- Goo Goo Dolls. I like their music but they thought it would be a great idea to waste time talking about their political views. I don't even care what their views are, just shut up and play.
The Roots... Completely rushed their set and didn't even do full songs. This was on some Sprite concert tour.
Appreciate 1
cmyx6go15762.50
      08-30-2023, 05:21 PM   #93
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: a slow car fast

I see these two threads have been combined. Good idea.
      09-04-2023, 09:32 PM   #94
..Rush..
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW E88

Good: Metallica, Rush, Yes

Bad: The Rolling Stones. Painful to watch Mick dancing
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2023, 04:26 AM   #95
NealfromNZ
Lieutenant
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 M3

Good
ZZTop
Billy Idol ( awesome! )
Berlin
New Order
Simple Minds
Dire Straights
David Bowie ( x2 )
U2 ( Boy had just come out , nice to talk to them briefly )
B52s ( awesome )
Sting ( x2 )
Dianna Krull ( x2)
Natalie Cole
Pogues ( In Brixton ! )
Faithless ( the best ! )

Bad
Midnight Oil due to overly political BS between most songs
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2023, 08:53 AM   #96
Fredcohiba
Private
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 xDrive30i

The Outlaws (opened for) Dave Mason at the Pabst in Milwaukee May 18th of this year.
Sound sucked. Was way too loud and I don’t mind loud, but it was screaming loud, distorted and way to much bass. Couldn’t under the words. Mason was a tad better but still terrible.
Who is the sound engineer at the mixing board that thought this sounded good? Should be retrained or let go.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2023, 08:00 PM   #97
Marmugmotleocay
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X3M Competition

Queensryche ( Operation Mindcrime )
Tool
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2023, 08:45 PM   #98
flybigjet
Remove Before Flight
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C & Boeing's light twin

In no particular order for the Best:

Sammy Hagar (solo) in St. Louis in the mid-80's during his "Red Rocker" phase.

Sarah McLachlan, both at Red Rocks and in a regular venue in Denver in the late-2010's. She shut down Red Rocks with nothing more than a piano and her voice.

One Republic at Red Rocks in Denver a few years ago.

Jimmy Buffett in DC on the South Lawn in the mid-90's (Was this even a concert? It was more like a completely out of control beach party with margarita's, music and *lots* of bikini tops).

Scorpions in Seattle in the late-80's.

Boston in Seattle in the late-80's. They were stuck there for some reason (weather?) and most of their gear had already gone. One of my University buds told me that they were playing a short-notice unannounced concert at some tiny venue. We went, and there couldn't have been more than 100-150 people there-- they were on stage with just a drum set and their guitars. They were just flat-out amazing.

And the absolute-hands-down-best?

Warren Zevon. Twice. in the mid-90's and early 2000's. Both times were "hole-in-the-wall" venues, one some place in DC under a bridge and one in Golden. One-man show, a couple hundred people and he just played his heart out. Best. Concert(s). EVER.

R.

Last edited by flybigjet; 09-06-2023 at 12:10 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2023, 03:59 PM   #99
kscarrol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i, 1974 2002 Tii

Last night's show... Maybe I should cross post in the "You know you're old" thread!
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
Esteban43766.00
hubbahubba8828.50
Bingham276.00
      09-13-2023, 04:03 PM   #100
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscarrol View Post
Last night's show... Maybe I should cross post in the "You know you're old" thread!
Definitely!
      09-13-2023, 04:04 PM   #101
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep

^ Is that other guy Bob Weir?
      09-13-2023, 04:10 PM   #102
kscarrol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i, 1974 2002 Tii

Yes, Bob Weir and Wolf Bros.
Appreciate 2
Esteban43766.00
hubbahubba8828.50
      09-14-2023, 11:23 AM   #103
Josh-PA
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 991.2, n55 e88, B58 G05

I do really enjoy live music. I would bucket almost all of my concert experiences as "good ones", in that they were all fun, entertaining and worth the price of admission. A few that stand out:

The Black Crowes at Stabler Arena (Lehigh University campus arena) - 1992. My first show. I wasn't a huge Black Crowes fan at the time (and still wouldn't consider myself one), but was totally in awe of the energy the live concert brought.

Nirvana 11/9/93 at Stabler - one of the last shows before Kurt (or Courtney) killed himself. I still remember the accoustic portion of the show - at the time MTV unplugged was still a big thing and they did a subset of their episode live.

Rage Against the Machine with Wutang Clan in Philly. I remember the mass change of fans from the Wutang opener to the Rage main set. I also remember Zach de la Rocha started commenting about freeing Mumia Abu-Jamal (convicted killer of Philadelphia Cop) and the crowd had none of it. So many soft pretzel pieces started raining down on stage that Rage had to take a break and came back out 10 mins later with no more free a cop killer speaches.

I had a few of really good Dave Matthews Band shows the two I remember most were a Hershey show that Bela Fleck and the Flecktones opened for. Bela Fleck and Jeff Coffin came out for a bunch of collaborations and just jammed and jammed and jammed. It was awesome seeing Jeff play two saxophones at the same time. The other memorable Dave show was when he did a Dave and Friends tour with Tim Reynolds and Trey Anastasio from Phish. Another fun night of good music.

We saw Ben Folds play in a gym at West Chester University. It is impressive how a guy and a piano can entertain you so much for 2 solid hours. (I guess Billy Joel and Elton John would be better examples of that).

We had a local country festival (Citadel Country Spirit) that was in a horse farm about 10 mins from my home from 2019 - 2021. They had some really good country acts, but the best part about it was the atmosphere. Just super family friendly, not overly crowded fun, safe and all for a good cause - all proceeds went to Children's Hospital of Penn. It also had some of the funniest music experiences I will ever remember. A couple of fun examples:
Tyler Farr (who is a little meatball of a man) was playing an early set and decided to jump down off stage and walk around in the crowd. That all went well until he tried to get back up on stage and couldn't pull himself up. His band mates kept faking a hand and cracking up at him while they played two songs with him in the security pit at the foot of the stage. Finally a roadie found a little step ladder and set it up so he could climb back up. The next year we were in the pit for Brother's Osborne and there was a `6yr old kid next to us on his Dad's shoulders. The kid held up a fresh chicken finger to TJ and he accepted it and took a nice big bite. He quickly realized you can't sing with a chicken finger in his mouth and stepped to the back and grabbed some water before finishing the song. I had a lot of good experiences with my teenage son there, where the early in the day bands like Lee Brice, Rodney Atkins would point him out when singing about their teenage boys. The fact that we could get home within 15 mins of the show ending with no fighting traffic helped make these 3 day shows even more great.

The 'technically' best concert I ever saw was Prince. That guy was so immensely talented and had a charisma that just melted women. I've never seen anything like it, his eyes would just pierce through your soul and you'd just watch every lady in the place swoon. What a showman.

The most recent show was Weezer this summer in Canandaugia. My son loves them now and I really liked them back in the late 90s. They had two openers that were awful. Weezer was solid and played a good mix of their collection, but I thought the set was super short (like an hour 10 mins). That was a bit disappointing.

Looking forward to lots more great shows in the future.

Last edited by Josh-PA; 09-14-2023 at 11:30 AM..
Appreciate 0