BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

05-10-2019, 05:42 PM   #45
SoCal_NSX
Major
Rep
Drives: 981CS/428/is250/JLU Rubicon

Quote:
Originally Posted by baege View Post
thanks for all the responses...lots are focused on practical stuff like depreciation and winter ability

I am really looking for perspectives on which one will bring the most driving enjoyment for a low end torque smallish car junky like me
2016 CPO 981 Cayman and call it a day..... if you got the money get the GT4, if not even the base model is raved about....also have the S and GTS versions

I've been looking to sale my NSX and get one myself...been doing lots of obsessing on that car and just can't find any thing out there with something bad to say about the car. Most people in the reviews call it one of the best pure drivers car on the road today. It killed the M2 and the Audi TT RS in head to head battle....they said the other two cars don't even belong on its level on a track as far as feel and enjoyment

This is what I'm searching for as soon as I sale the NSX

Last edited by SoCal_NSX; 05-10-2019 at 06:14 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2019, 08:06 PM   #46
Flacht3
Not Enough Garage Space
Rep
Drives: STO /765LTS/ Macan

Quote:
Originally Posted by yco View Post
it started to snow in California lately?
Ever hear of a little place called Tahoe, Big Bear, Mammoth? Guess not.

California has some of the most popular snow destinations in the country...

Don't convolute what I said...yes AWD with snow tires will trump RWD with snow tires...but good snow tires on a RWD car will do just fine in most conditions. The point is that you don't NEED an AWD car for occasional snow driving, which was the topic being discussed in the OP's car choice. Now, back to our regularly scheduled programming...
      05-10-2019, 09:17 PM   #47
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Both places I've seen rear wheel drive 911's.

A friend had a 964 C4, that thing was terrible. I know they've gotten better, but anytime a friend buys an awd car that they could have gotten in rwd, I cry a single tear.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2019, 03:11 AM   #48
yco
i'm just saying
Rep
Drives: E71 X6M '10 (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_DM View Post
Ever hear of a little place called Tahoe, Big Bear, Mammoth? Guess not.

California has some of the most popular snow destinations in the country...

Don't convolute what I said...yes AWD with snow tires will trump RWD with snow tires...but good snow tires on a RWD car will do just fine in most conditions. The point is that you don't NEED an AWD car for occasional snow driving, which was the topic being discussed in the OP's car choice. Now, back to our regularly scheduled programming...
yeah i i do know and im not talking about "occasional" winter driving.. anyways it wont go anywhere anyway..
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2019, 05:56 AM   #49
Darth One
drunk poster
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS | E46 M3

For your intended usage, I think the R8 stands above the rest except for the 911. Get it in manual unless you're getting a newer one after they updated the automatic. It's going to be more of an event to drive, better for city driving, practical enough, and has the torque you're looking for.

Second choice is the 911. Honestly you could toss a coin between the two - pick the one that looks better to you. Or sounds better.

The car I would buy (and did) was the GT4. But you don't want a track oriented car, you've owned multiple Caymans, and it doesn't have as much torque. So it doesn't sound like it's exactly what you want.

The Vantage looks and sounds amazing, but is a mess to drive. I found the FType to be too numb, but it might be ok if you want the full GT experience and not too much connection with the machine. The R8 will be sharper without being as hardcore as a GT4. The FType exhaust also irritates me with all the fake overruns, and the interior isn't as well made as it should be.
Appreciate 1
baege1320.50
      05-11-2019, 06:58 AM   #50
Damage Inc
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

I had a 991.1 4S and GTS. Both PDK. A bit too "clinical". The PDK is too smooth and lacks character, too "auto like", probably would have kept longer if manual. Excellent DD however.

I sold for an R8 and never looked back. I'd go R8 V10 manual all day. Add an exhaust and you'll love it.

GT4 might feel too much of a track car for a DD. Depends what you want. R8 is a luxury sports car. Apples and oranges.

Drove an Aston. Sounds great but kinda meh driving experience. Plus go research reliability and costs, its pretty pathetic. I ran away.

g/l.

Past Performance Cars: 01 M3, 05 M3, 06 M5, 08 M6, 08 M3, 11 M3, 13 M3, 15 M3, 911 C4S, 911 GTS, 17 M2,R8 V8, R8 RWS

Last edited by Damage Inc; 05-11-2019 at 06:59 AM.. Reason: sp
Appreciate 1
baege1320.50
      05-11-2019, 07:09 AM   #51
baege
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 Cayman GTS 4.0 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal_NSX View Post
2016 CPO 981 Cayman and call it a day..... if you got the money get the GT4, if not even the base model is raved about....also have the S and GTS versions

I've been looking to sale my NSX and get one myself...been doing lots of obsessing on that car and just can't find any thing out there with something bad to say about the car. Most people in the reviews call it one of the best pure drivers car on the road today. It killed the M2 and the Audi TT RS in head to head battle....they said the other two cars don't even belong on its level on a track as far as feel and enjoyment

This is what I'm searching for as soon as I sale the NSX

I've already had 2 981 Cayman S's, still considering the GT4 but I feel like it might not excite as much due to familiarity
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2019, 02:20 PM   #52
SoCal_NSX
Major
Rep
Drives: 981CS/428/is250/JLU Rubicon

Quote:
Originally Posted by baege View Post
I've already had 2 981 Cayman S's, still considering the GT4 but I feel like it might not excite as much due to familiarity

well in that case, I would go R8, but I would test drive multiple cars in that price range and follow your heart.
Appreciate 0