BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BMW 5-Series (E60) Forums (2004 - 2009) > General 5-series and M5 (E60) Forum

11-19-2018, 04:03 AM   #1
turboviking
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 525i

lack of audio options

Hey guys was hoping I might get some help. Now I did search through some of the previously posted threads...but alot of what i saw seems to be older answers from 8+ years ago. I was hoping maybe there's a more modern answer to my question. I recently have picked up a 2006 525i in great shape. I love the car ... the only thing that I dislike.. is that lack of ability to stream music. It appears that there is no USB port, no Aux .. nothing to be able to stream music from Spotify or other iPhone apps. Now I do have a CD changer in the glove box that that doesn’t leave me many options. I have tried a high quality FM transmitter .. but im somewhat of an audiophile and the quality of playback just isn’t what I’m looking for. I’ve looked on forums and a lot of the info is much older solutions and very expensive ... my question to you guys... is there any modern solution to my problem to stream music from my phone?
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2018, 04:42 PM   #2
JayArras
Casual Fanatic
Rep
Drives: '07 530xi

I feel your pain! I always point people who are interested in streaming their music in an E60 to this thread :

https://5series.net/forums/bluetooth...eaming-139872/

Since you don't have an aux jack, installation gets a little more complicated because you will need to tap into your speakers somehow, but many have installed this behind their glove box which is near the fuse panel. Bluetooth is really not audiophile quality, but it is a relatively cheap solution with reasonable fidelity, I think.
      11-19-2018, 04:55 PM   #3
turboviking
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayArras View Post
I feel your pain! I always point people who are interested in streaming their music in an E60 to this thread :

https://5series.net/forums/bluetooth...eaming-139872/

Since you don't have an aux jack, installation gets a little more complicated because you will need to tap into your speakers somehow, but many have installed this behind their glove box which is near the fuse panel. Bluetooth is really not audiophile quality, but it is a relatively cheap solution with reasonable fidelity, I think.
The problem I have here is .. he ran this off an aux like. I don't even have that !
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2018, 09:06 PM   #4
JayArras
Casual Fanatic
Rep

That's what I'm saying! You would have to tap off of the speaker leads.
      11-19-2018, 09:17 PM   #5
turboviking
United_States
Rep

Quote:
That's what I'm saying! You would have to tap off of the speaker leads.
And from that point how could i hook up my streaming music ? What input would I set the head unit to, to play music ?
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2018, 10:41 AM   #6
JayArras
Casual Fanatic
Rep

Once you have powered the board and have it connected to your speaker system, you simply pair the Sure board to your phone and voilà, play your Pandora or Spotify to your heart's content.

What options do you have on your head unit besides AM, FM and CD?
      11-20-2018, 10:48 AM   #7
turboviking
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Once you have powered the board and have it connected to your speaker system, you simply pair the Sure board to your phone and voilà, play your Pandora or Spotify to your heart's content.
Okay. That I could probably handle. However once it's wired in ... what stereo input would you put it on to playback? Because if I turn it to a radio station then the radio station will be playing .. and I don't have an aux option. So ... would you play on the cd menu where nothing else would be playing. Sorry if I sound dumb ... this stuff is new to me ... I've never had to wire something to this extreme
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2018, 04:28 PM   #8
JayArras
Casual Fanatic
Rep

You've got a point there. I'm not sure. What options show on your iDrive screen for audio?
      11-20-2018, 04:40 PM   #9
turboviking
United_States
Rep

Quote:
You've got a point there. I'm not sure. What options show on your iDrive screen for audio?
Radio and cd changed.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2018, 05:23 PM   #10
thecybo
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW E60 520d

Similar issue here, however mine had an AUX jack but the quality is meh and I also hate having to burn CDs on which some of the songs don't work.

What I did was install an Android head unit from China instead of the LCD display (retaining the iDrive functionality, can switch between them as will).

Problem now is the audio quality, because the audio comes from the Android unit to the iDrive via the AUX jack, and the quality on that is terrible.

To solve this I'm currently looking into getting an amplifier fiber optic interface (Avin has one, China might as well) added to the MOST loop. This should allow me to inject the sound from the Android unit directly into the amplifier instead of going through the AUX port. Price should be a bit over 100$.

If you want details or a swift review feel free to ask!
Appreciate 0