BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

10-02-2011, 03:25 PM   #23
matthewk
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 X6MC, 2022 M5C

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZJP View Post
I don't think paying a $450 annual fee is worth it for any credit card, that's just insanity.

That being said, I have the AMEX Gold Premier Rewards card ($175/yr) which I am perfectly happy with.
Considering it covers my admirals club fee $400 + priority pass fee + $199 + $200 of inflight drinks when I am not in first, + $200 global entry fee, + time saved making dinner reservations and theater tickets when I take a quick weekend to NYC + making sure I don't forget any important dates i.e. mothers day, the $450 is a bargain. But it's a bargain in my situation, it's likely not in other people's.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2011, 06:44 PM   #24
vioaltec
Sasha Fierce
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 bmw 3 series coupe

i say get the amex, the perks are amazing. Most hotels like the Four Seasons has AMEX accounts where you can get anything like a free upgrade, spa or resturant credit, late check out etc.
      10-02-2011, 07:35 PM   #25
lopealle
Resident Black Guy
Zimbabwe
Rep
Drives: Lion

Garage List
2006 M5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feyd View Post
I honestly don't think that any prestige exists until you get to the Amex Centurian level and then it's really only a novelty. That being said you can't get one of those until you spend hundreds of thousands of dollars annually (for several years running) on your Amex platinum card, have an annual income north of 500k and a decent 7 figure net worth. If that kind of annual spend isn't in your future then quit while you are ahead and save the annual fee. Amex cards really only make sense to own if your business pays the fees (and bills) and you can reap the rewards, otherwise they are just kind of a pain in the ass.

Besides, anyone with a mediocre credit score and a telephone can get a platinum card if they are willing to pay an annual fee, so "prestige" isn't a term I'd associate with ownership. To me if you are an average Joe with no real reason to own the platinum card (i.e. flying 50k+ miles a year/own a business), it just seems like you are trying to hard.

Agreed.......Am I the only person who doesn't really use a credit card like that? My spending limit on my card ($4500) must be what you guys Put on your cards for each use. My USAA credit card must be the bottom type of card there is lol
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2011, 01:51 PM   #26
Kiemyster
Bimmerpost Resident Marijuana Consultant
Trinidad_and_tobago
Rep
Drives: 320i, 325xi, 335Xi, 335i, M3

Garage List
The thing about amex is, they will do everything in their power to rectify fraud charges... They send their own people to do those investigations and provide the most protection to the consumer IMHO.

plus, chase? Not fucking with them. Always hearing bad things about them... So i stay away from chase.
      10-04-2011, 02:34 PM   #27
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
I have the Chase Sapphire and Amex Gold. I use my Amex like I used to use my debit card. The Sapphire accrues points in a similar way but you can keep a balance. Not sure if it's been mentioned yet but the Amex is not a credit card, but a charge card. If you will likely carry any type of balance then you should get the Sapphire.

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2011, 03:35 PM   #28
ttam
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Chevrolet movie theater

there are actually 2 different chase sapphire cards. the regular one and the preferred one. The preferred one is the one with the Annual fee (except for the 1st year)
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2011, 04:04 PM   #29
persian54
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M760/G83M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feyd View Post
I honestly don't think that any prestige exists until you get to the Amex Centurian level and then it's really only a novelty. That being said you can't get one of those until you spend hundreds of thousands of dollars annually (for several years running) on your Amex platinum card, have an annual income north of 500k and a decent 7 figure net worth. If that kind of annual spend isn't in your future then quit while you are ahead and save the annual fee. Amex cards really only make sense to own if your business pays the fees (and bills) and you can reap the rewards, otherwise they are just kind of a pain in the ass.

Besides, anyone with a mediocre credit score and a telephone can get a platinum card if they are willing to pay an annual fee, so "prestige" isn't a term I'd associate with ownership. To me if you are an average Joe with no real reason to own the platinum card (i.e. flying 50k+ miles a year/own a business), it just seems like you are trying to hard.
I know many who use AMEX because it has no spending limit

yes, it's due at the end of the month, but for a business, it's a heck of a lot easier to make a CC payment than have them take it from your bank account

Plus, if you're spending $50k or whatever a month on your business etc, then why not get rewards
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2011, 04:53 PM   #30
BigDog
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: YMB F80

i love my amex just for the sake of their customer service
      06-18-2013, 01:12 PM   #31
jasonn
JDM Slut
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 e90 335i

Garage List
I've been doing research on credit cards and oddly e90post came up. I know I'm reviving a dead thread but fwiw I've had the Chase Sapphire Preferred for two years and I love it.

The card is metal and there is some trouble with certain magnetic stripe swipers so you have to swipe it a few times or in some cases it doesn't work. Also it can be too big for some self-use machines--the AMC automated dispenser for example, but otherwise it's great.

I have 2 basic Chase Ink Cash cards also, and you can combine the points you earn. So if you have businesses, you can accumulate points even faster.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2013, 02:21 PM   #32
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something Italian

Dude, you really named your business "VD" Detailing?
      06-18-2013, 02:22 PM   #33
jlstyle
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Porsche Panamera

Garage List
2014 Audi S7  [0.00]
2015 BMW X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nixta325 View Post
not going to lie i kind of want the whole prestige affect lol
Prestige effect with Amex? Unless you are in college no one really give a crap about amex platinum.

But...if you pull out a centurion....that's a whole different story.
Now that's a status. But platinum? Nah...

I hold amex for many years and only reason I use them with majority of my purchases is because of their protection plan and superb customer service.

I feel safe using Amex over the internet purchases as I can easily reverse any payments or frauds. I cannot trust my debits and visa/master cards over the internet somehow.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2013, 02:27 PM   #34
upstatedoc
I'll get back to you
Rep
Drives: blue streak

If you really want to wow your clients next time whip out a stack of 100's and pay that way.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2013, 02:43 PM   #35
Vanmarsenille
In On The Kill Taker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 MB GLS550; 2016 RR HSE

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewk
Quote:
Originally Posted by nixta325 View Post
not going to lie i kind of want the whole prestige affect lol
I hold a AMEX plat and there's no prestige.
+1

There was a time, once upon a time, when a Platinum card had some cachet attached to it. That was a very, very long time ago. As another poster has already said, almost anyone can get one now.

Jesus Saves.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2013, 07:26 PM   #36
Wakka
but no flokka
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C

i love the perks of the plat. Starwood preferred gold status for free, global entry fee waved, 200$ in airline expenses a year, priority pass, gets me into airline clubs for free, no international charge fee... whats not to like?

I use the plat for the perks, and my PRG card for the bonus points. The two cards go pretty well together if you utilize them right. Plus plat's concierge is pretty nice when you need a lot of plans made, but dont have the time to do so.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2013, 09:21 AM   #37
PSUSMU
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDog View Post
i love my amex just for the sake of their customer service
This.
      06-19-2013, 09:39 AM   #38
Digital.James
Colonel
Rep
Drives: GT4, Raptor.2, Tuono 1100F

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake View Post
Ever try to pay for a meal at a Sichuan restaurant in Shanghai with Amex? Or a café in Paris? Pretty much the only places overseas that accept Amex are large department stores and major brand hotels. But for everyday things that I most commonly need a card for, Amex is pretty useless overseas.
i just got back from traveling for the past six months and went through paris, bordeaux, london, munich, stuttgart, botswana, senegal and malawi. every place in those cities that took visa or mastercard took my amex

but to the OP, have you considered the amex premier rewards card? no annual fee and triple points on a lot of things such as gas and groceries.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2013, 10:42 AM   #39
kits135i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Coming Soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiemyster View Post
The thing about amex is, they will do everything in their power to rectify fraud charges... They send their own people to do those investigations and provide the most protection to the consumer IMHO.

plus, chase? Not fucking with them. Always hearing bad things about them... So i stay away from chase.
This is a nutshell. AMEX is best when it comes to customer service. Chase is horrible. I left them years ago. I would pay people if I could to not use Chase. Worst customer service in the world!!!
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2013, 05:51 AM   #40
cap1
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: MR E92 ZCP

+1 on AMEX customer service. My experience has been nothing but great and their concierge is good. I travel at least twice a year internationally and taken full advantage of the airline credit and lounges.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2013, 06:56 AM   #41
GOLFFRR
Rep
Drives: GOLFFRR cart

I have had my amex plat since 2008 and love it. the customer service and perks you get with the card at various locations is awesome. I love it.

I have never had the chase card so I can not comment.

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, EMAIL OUR GUY KOTE FIRST!
Kote M Sales:Kotem@bmwofcamarillo.com Cell:805-368-9101
vipfinance@bmwofcamarillo.com for warranties!
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2013, 09:22 AM   #42
keepittrill
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: "Daddy-bought" 2010 Z4

You want to be a real baller? You want real prestige? Get both.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2013, 09:29 AM   #43
KMEninety335
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 Monaco Blue 335i xdrive

Garage List
I'd pick Amex over and over again. Great customer service. Great perks. I'd much rather take collegues or vendors out and pay with an Amex card over Chase
2010 E90 335i xdrive | Monaco Blue with Black Interior | All Packages except Sport :/ | Apex EC-7 | Active Autowerke Strut Bar | Roc Euro DCI | Roc Euro Hyperboost DVs | aFe Scoops | BMW Performance Exhaust | BMWCCA member
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2013, 08:51 PM   #44
MRSSIIM3
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 SO

i have both and i prefer the chase. chase rewards and cust service are as good if not better than amex plat, lower annual fee, nice points bonus for signing up (not sure if they still do this), and more people take visa as oppose to amex
Appreciate 0