BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

08-28-2019, 11:34 AM   #89
Turkish Pickle
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 330i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joekerr View Post
Well, that depends on the area being shaved doesn't it. If it is an 'erogenous' area, 100% NOT.

If it is a beard that is worth a pic, then sure.
the amount of beard i can produce is not in proportion to the amount of hairiness i contain, so no it'd be a dick pic
Appreciate 2
King Rudi13152.00
Joekerr7926.00
      08-28-2019, 12:08 PM   #90
Joekerr
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2017 Audi S6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkish Pickle View Post
the amount of beard i can produce is not in proportion to the amount of hairiness i contain, so no it'd be a dick pic

Turkish, you're on thin ice my pedigree chum, and I shall be under it when it breaks.
Appreciate 1
      08-28-2019, 12:51 PM   #91
dougt.ah3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: AH3 Msport; F150 XLT

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXSTYLE View Post
*UPDATE

Discouraging to say the least. The thing for me is, having to to do at least 2 or 3 passes with the SR vs 1 very quick and smooth pass with my disposable and add in the irritation factor, the decision is clear for me.
On a positive note... I'll keep the brush and shave soap. Both worked well.
Giving up so quickly? As with most things it takes practice to get the technique down. Don’t quit now, keep persevering.

Last edited by dougt.ah3; 08-28-2019 at 01:09 PM..
Appreciate 2
TXSTYLE13653.00
      08-28-2019, 03:04 PM   #92
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 128i, 2008 LS3 C6

I remember my first try with a SR and I cut myself to pieces. A friend told me that I shouldn't be applying any pressure, and letting the weight of the razor do all the work.

Never really mastered it. I currently use a conditioning oil before, lather with brush, and now disposables. But that's only if I haven't shaved in a few days. If it's been longer than 3 days, I have to start with my Wahls unit first to get as close as possible. Otherwise I would burn through the disposables like crazy.
      08-29-2019, 02:10 AM   #93
Dang3r
Schmollbraten
Germany
Rep
Drives: M4CPC // HP4 Comp.

That had never worked for me, just the weight pressure from the razor.
I got few spots at my cheeks which are slightly backspringing and w/o pressure the hairs won't got cut as its meant to be. Also, when your skin gets older the tension slips away and I have to stretch some areas to achieve a plain shavearea.
All those commercials where young models are just pulling the razor over their face are bollox and beyond of practics.
To be honest, your mentioned razor model had made me curious to experience that for myself. On the flipside, I wear almost every day white collars and the risk to scratch myself and make a bloody mess seems to be not the lowest….hmmm….what to do?

Some say, that my scrotum has its own small gravity field and when Im slowing down that brake lights come on at my buttox
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2019, 11:41 AM   #94
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dang3r View Post
That had never worked for me, just the weight pressure from the razor.
I got few spots at my cheeks which are slightly backspringing and w/o pressure the hairs won't got cut as its meant to be. Also, when your skin gets older the tension slips away and I have to stretch some areas to achieve a plain shavearea.
All those commercials where young models are just pulling the razor over their face are bollox and beyond of practics.
To be honest, your mentioned razor model had made me curious to experience that for myself. On the flipside, I wear almost every day white collars and the risk to scratch myself and make a bloody mess seems to be not the lowest….hmmm….what to do?
A sample pack of blades will almost certainly get you a blade that works for your face.

As for nicks, a styptic pen, or alum block stops the blood quickly. An aftershave, balm or light lotion is a good follow up.
Appreciate 2
Rmtt8206.00
Dang3r12503.00
      08-29-2019, 12:33 PM   #95
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

Nobody willing to try waxing it off? I figure if the gals can do a 'runway' it can't be that painful, right?
Appreciate 1
King Rudi13152.00
      08-29-2019, 12:52 PM   #96
Kooch
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 Sakhir Orange 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougt.ah3 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXSTYLE View Post
I mostly wanted to at least try it out. If after a few attempts, I find it too risky or the shave itself isn't to my liking, the investment was minimal.
I'm going into this with not much hope for the silky shaves I'm used to. But maybe I'll be surprised.
I had asked earlier above, to those of you who do use one, how many shaves in one session?
I had been thinking for some time of switching myself. Your thread prompted me to place my order. This is the method of shaving I learned from my father and used until the disposables came out.

Based on stuff I've read, etc. you should make three passes ... with the grain, across the grain and against the grain, lathering up each time.

Good thinking to purchase various blades to figure out which one(s) work best for you.
I went through a phase reading up on shaving methods and landed on the DE safety. That said, one consistent theme was that shaving is about beard reduction not beard removal and always shave with the grain. When going against you cut too close and increase risk of ingrown hairs. Same problem caused by some of the razors that pull up hair slightly before cutting.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2019, 03:03 PM   #97
upstatedoc
I'll get back to you
Rep
Drives: blue streak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maynard View Post
Nobody willing to try waxing it off? I figure if the gals can do a 'runway' it can't be that painful, right?
you go first
Appreciate 1
Maynard3804.50
      08-29-2019, 03:12 PM   #98
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 128i, 2008 LS3 C6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
A sample pack of blades will almost certainly get you a blade that works for your face.

As for nicks, a styptic pen, or alum block stops the blood quickly. An aftershave, balm or light lotion is a good follow up.
I always keep a stypic pen around!
      08-29-2019, 04:45 PM   #99
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Meat Suit

Quote:
Girls can also give birth, that's not something I'm willing to try either. They think (and say) they are tougher than us.....I say let them think just that. I've learned not to argue with them.
Appreciate 2
Maynard3804.50
      08-29-2019, 05:54 PM   #100
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Quote:
I've had my back done several times, it's not that bad. Just sprouting now after about 4 weeks. Precision on your face could be an issue though.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2019, 07:41 PM   #101
dougt.ah3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F32Fleet View Post
Welcome to the club.

Merkur 34c
Feather Blades
Proraso shave cream (aka C.O. Bigelow)
Successfully performed my first DE shave today with the same setup as above but added Noxema as a preshave and Thayer's witch hazel as an aftershave. Did 3 passes ... with the grain, cross grajn and against the grain. No cuts or irritations. Got to do better on the area directly beneath the nose. Used a cheap Omega boars hair brush ... it does stink but told the smell will go away in a week or two.
2022 K1600B
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2019, 08:59 PM   #102
Darth One
drunk poster
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS | E46 M3

Quote:
Used a cheap Omega boars hair brush ... it does stink but told the smell will go away in a week or two.
are you sure they didn't get the hair from the....uh, stinky parts of the boar?
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2019, 09:32 PM   #103
dougt.ah3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth One View Post
are you sure they didn't get the hair from the....uh, stinky parts of the boar?
😳
You know that’s a perfect description of the smell! Made me laugh.

Last edited by dougt.ah3; 08-29-2019 at 09:45 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2019, 09:42 PM   #104
10"
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: orange BMW 1M.

been using a Merkur razor and Feather blades for almost 10 years.

Would never use those shitty cartridges razors again.....hard to believe so many suckers use them. the Razor industry is a total scam because double edged razors are infinitely better and more cost effective in every way.
      08-29-2019, 09:44 PM   #105
10"
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: orange BMW 1M.

Quote:
Successfully performed my first DE shave today with the same setup as above but added Noxema as a preshave and Thayer's witch hazel as an aftershave. Did 3 passes ... with the grain, cross grajn and against the grain. No cuts or irritations. Got to do better on the area directly beneath the nose. Used a cheap Omega boars hair brush ... it does stink but told the smell will go away in a week or two.

don't do 3 passes and don't go against the grain or across the grain.

just 1 pass. with the grain.
      08-29-2019, 09:50 PM   #106
dougt.ah3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

^ maybe when I develop a better technique. It’s my first time and the 3 passes were necessary. Will work on it.

Always had to go against grain with cartridges so it is ingrained for now.

Last edited by dougt.ah3; 08-29-2019 at 09:56 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2019, 02:36 AM   #107
Dang3r
Schmollbraten
Germany
Rep
Drives: M4CPC // HP4 Comp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
I've had my back done several times, it's not that bad. Just sprouting now after about 4 weeks. Precision on your face could be an issue though.
Rumor said that you have also a taste for a tared and feathered a**, so you*re out and banned

Some say, that my scrotum has its own small gravity field and when Im slowing down that brake lights come on at my buttox
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2019, 09:05 AM   #108
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Quote:
Quote:
Welcome to the club.

Merkur 34c
Feather Blades
Proraso shave cream (aka C.O. Bigelow)
Ya it takes a little time and patience. I use a pre-shave oil (allegedly gray hairs are more difficult to soften) and finish with Anthony's after shave balm (it's glycerin-free).

Boar can initially have an odor but it will eventually dissipate. I use a badger brush.

435i, MPPK, MPE, M-Sport Line
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2019, 01:19 PM   #109
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep
Drives: F01 & F15 / Mineral White

Lightbulb

Quote:
Ya it takes a little time and patience. I use a pre-shave oil (allegedly gray hairs are more difficult to soften) and finish with Anthony's after shave balm (it's glycerin-free).

Boar can initially have an odor but it will eventually dissipate. I use a badger brush.
Yep! Grey hair is Thicker and more Bristly than pigmented hair.

While we are on the subject, I want to share with you something I have learned the hard way regarding greys in my eyebrows...

Sooner or later you WILL get GREYS all over: Head, chest, back, nose, face, balls and yes even eyebrows! I started getting a couple here and there in the exact same spot. Very noticeable to me but my wife didn't mind nor complain. Well in my genius attempt to reduce the unfavorable appearances of these white threads growing from my brows, I decided to start plucking them.
Initially no issues. I would keep removing the rogue strands whenever they grew back. But after a couple of years, I noticed that I was getting small patches there. Now fortunately, my brows and lashes have been longer than average. So I am able to hide these bare spots by the length of other brow strands.
But what happened exactly? I turned to a Dermatologist who explained that the follicles of hair that turn grey are "weakened" normally by the loss of pigmentation: thickness, color, oils, etc. But she says this is especially true of the eyes! By plucking them repeatedly from the same location, it literally stop producing ANY hair growth.

So that's my testimony for the day/years. Remember it and don't make the same mistake as I.
dougt.ah3137.00
      08-30-2019, 02:20 PM   #110
bigrum
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 M3 ZCP

Maybe I will die poor compared to what you guys might be spending, but this thing has lasted me... Jesus it must be 10 years at LEAST?

They still sell the cartridges at Costco and I replace my blade maybe once every 2 months?

I tried the Gillette Fusion and later models but they went too far. This model is perfect and the vibration really does make it an easier shave.

(Yeah yeah dildo jokes are coming )
Appreciate 2
Rmtt8206.00
F32Fleet3539.50