BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Sim Racing

07-25-2021, 02:34 PM   #1
Bunford
Rep
Drives: BMW F20 2015 116D

Garage List
Does anyone here use VR for sim racing?

I am just about to get back into sim racing and one of the things that put me off previously was the lack of immersion with a single monitor, but when I tried triple monitors they simply took up too much space and still didn't quite give me the immersion I was looking for.

For this reason, having recently watched some YouTubers' views (such as Jimmy Broadbent, Driver61, ViperConcent, Tiatmarduke etc), they all seem to unanimously agree that VR gives you the next level of immersion that is as close to real racing and driving as can be expected.

I am running an older-ish machine, but still more than capable with a Core i7 Extreme Edition 4960X 12 core CPU, 64GB RAM and a GTX 1070 GPU, and can run VR, though may have to notch a couple of newer titles down a bit in terms of graphics quality.

Just wondering what the VR options are nowadays and what are the views of using VR for sim racing?

Cheers in advance
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2021, 09:33 PM   #2
shiftdnb
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F31 328dx

Garage List
I race in VR. Pimax 8K+, image isn't the best but I love the field of view in racing. I also run it on 8700K overclocked and 2080ti. Some of the guys I race with have similar computers to yours and successfully run VR, however you'll have to sacrifice graphics wise.

If you haven't done VR before I recommend taking it slowly. I got sick in VR my first time and I would look at the headset and feel queezy after that. I worked my way through it slowly with Dramamine and Sea Bands. Now I'm running 4 hour Nürburgring races. The heat can be a bit much as well so fans help.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2022, 09:32 PM   #3
Feint
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X2

Yeah, I use an Index with Assetto Corsa, ACC, and some other games. Assetto Corsa requires a lot of customization to get up to speed, but is worth the effort. You will need a better graphics card unless you're fine with lower graphics settings. I have a 2080Ti and it's great in AC. ACC lags a bit but it looks great and I could dial it down to make it smoother. VR is definitely better than any flat screen setup in terms of depth perception, immersion, etc. It's hard to describe. Here's a video I made of a motorcycle addon for Assetto Corsa. This gives you an idea of what it's like in VR maybe a little. Massive immersion.

Appreciate 0
      04-08-2022, 07:44 AM   #4
///d
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 35d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feint View Post
Yeah, I use an Index with Assetto Corsa, ACC, and some other games. Assetto Corsa requires a lot of customization to get up to speed, but is worth the effort. You will need a better graphics card unless you're fine with lower graphics settings. I have a 2080Ti and it's great in AC. ACC lags a bit but it looks great and I could dial it down to make it smoother. VR is definitely better than any flat screen setup in terms of depth perception, immersion, etc. It's hard to describe. Here's a video I made of a motorcycle addon for Assetto Corsa. This gives you an idea of what it's like in VR maybe a little. Massive immersion.

Did you find this on Race Department?

My Diesel Information Thread | My Wheels, Tires, and Fitment Thread | My Teardrop Camper Build | My F15 Suspension Lift Thread
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2022, 01:49 PM   #5
NYG
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Corvette Z06

It never worked well for ACC but I've used it for iRacing. I get really bad motion sickness and have to eat dramamine just to use it. Gave up on it - VR isn't for me.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2022, 07:53 AM   #6
aqh5003
Rep
Drives: e93 m3

i've tried with the psvr but prefer the better picture quality on tv.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2022, 09:07 AM   #7
Brazilian_BAMF
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022M4CX Iomg

Since I have all these gadgets, few different VR headsets, triples and 49".

VR is the option which will make you feel driving a race, period.
You really fell you are inside the cockpit.

However, in my case, I can't use it for more than one hour.

You will also need a better GPU, 1070 is not enough to push the VR. This could lead you a motion sickness.

You should also try to get a good vr, to provide you a good image quality(Valve Index, HP Reverb 2 or similar).
Appreciate 0