BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

06-07-2020, 10:45 AM   #1035
gtr2M3
Rep
Drives: M3

I agree with Sedan_Clan on the fact that attitude is everything when wanting to elevate one’s self

I have an aunt who is a full blood native and takes in foster kids from reserves in hopes they can be put on a better path

Some do well in life, most don’t

The ones that do well get out of and stay out of the reserve, they surround themselves with other who choose to move forward instead of dwelling on how the white man stole their land and lives years ago from their forefathers and how they are owed something today to make up for it
Appreciate 2
Sedan_Clan24826.00
Murf99314114.00
      06-07-2020, 11:42 AM   #1036
TrevorM3
Banned
Rep
Drives: 6.3 AMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
Disbanding or defunding the police isn't going to fix any of the issues BLM or any other social justice organization thinks it will. Statistically crime goes up with less of a law enforcement presence. It's just a popular talking point that tickles the emotions of anarchists and people who don't like being held accountable.

the fact that defunding police is even thought about right now, is deeply disturbing. This country is lost.
Appreciate 4
Rmtt8206.00
Murf99314114.00
jmack548.50
      06-07-2020, 11:48 AM   #1037
jamesinaz
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 2017 540i

Garage List
Quote:
Unions are not inherently bad. Unions are appropriate when you have a large number of employees (...e.g. we have over 22,000 in the sheriff's department alone; 11,000+ are sworn). Unions are also there to help employees fight against their employer for violating certain labor laws, unfair practices, retaliation, whistleblower protections, etc.

(in my best Achmed the dead terrorist voice) - "Holy Crap"
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2020, 01:27 PM   #1038
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

So we defund/disband the police.

Then we no longer have ANY control over who becomes a vigilante, and all the racists have zero control over who they can take out their frustration upon.

What could go wrong?

I don't have the answer, and I agree something needs to continue to change. But with no plan, it will be rather difficult to accomplish anything.

Sedan, when I get my massage this Friday, I'll do it in your honor
Appreciate 1
      06-08-2020, 02:52 PM   #1039
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
So we defund/disband the police.

Then we no longer have ANY control over who becomes a vigilante, and all the racists have zero control over who they can take out their frustration upon.

What could go wrong?

I don't have the answer, and I agree something needs to continue to change. But with no plan, it will be rather difficult to accomplish anything.

Sedan, when I get my massage this Friday, I'll do it in your honor
Make sure that massage ends happy.
Appreciate 2
Murf99314114.00
      06-08-2020, 07:22 PM   #1040
TrevorM3
Banned
Rep

watching these violent "protests" on tv, reading about it online, i stumbled onto YT and found this.

Skip to 3 minute mark. This is what i was eluding to earlier. My god, this man is a model not for especially black men, but ALL men. Pay attention to how quickly he answers that question. I know holding yourself accountable is tough these days, but some folks out there really should start doing it.
Appreciate 2
rebekahb3128.50
Rmtt8206.00
      06-08-2020, 07:34 PM   #1041
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevorM3 View Post
watching these violent "protests" on tv, reading about it online, i stumbled onto YT and found this.

Skip to 3 minute mark. This is what i was eluding to earlier. My god, this man is a model not for especially black men, but ALL men. Pay attention to how quickly he answers that question. I know holding yourself accountable is tough these days, but some folks out there really should start doing it.
See, and when I say the same thing as Denzel, I get people telling me I don't know what I'm talking about.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2020, 08:06 PM   #1042
TrevorM3
Banned
Rep

Quote:
See, and when I say the same thing as Denzel, I get people telling me I don't know what I'm talking about.

some people can't even comprehend what denzel said. they just gloss right over it.

Cops are bad, everyone hates black people, blm, etc etc.
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan24826.00
      06-08-2020, 08:17 PM   #1043
Throttlesteer14
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 M240 ix, 14 Cayman S

I love the scene in Equalizer 2 where he sets the kid straight. Denzel is the man!

Last edited by Throttlesteer14; 06-08-2020 at 08:56 PM..
Appreciate 2
Sedan_Clan24826.00
King Rudi13152.00
      06-08-2020, 08:34 PM   #1044
TrevorM3
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throttlesteer14 View Post
I love the seen in Equalizer 2 where he sets the kid straight. Denzel is the man!

you remember the dialogue?

"i dont wanna hear about your environment, what your momma didn't give you and what the white man wont give you"

Another great set of statements made. Again, self accountability. Hell, i'll link it.

Appreciate 4
Sedan_Clan24826.00
Murf99314114.00
pikkagtr3847.00
King Rudi13152.00
      06-15-2020, 06:53 AM   #1045
tcabill
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: e63 650i, F10 535i, E93 335i

Garage List
Quote:
Not Code 3, but what we like to call Code 2.5. That's where you see us pull up to a traffic signal at an intersection, stop traffic using the squelch/siren and flash the lights briefly, and roll through the intersection.
or "Code Brown"
Dang3r12503.00
King Rudi13152.00
      06-16-2020, 07:07 AM   #1046
F80Pilot
Private
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

@Sedan_Clan You are absolutely right about your statement.

1. Problems do start in the house
- When you don't have a father figure to correct your behaviors and actions at a young age, you are very likely go onto a wrong path. Regardless of your race, etc. In America, you do see a lot more AA kids who don't have father figures in comparison to other races. It's SAD, and people should try to contribute to fix that problem. Looting and burning all that type of shit will only bring more negative responses from the people who already have prejudice towards the people of color.

2. Disbanding the police is not the fix for systematic racism
- if you live on earth, you will need LAWS. Who fking serve and protect? POLICE!!!! We are all humans, and we make mistakes, because we aren't perfect. The justice system will never be perfect, so it needs to improve, not to be destroyed. If you are having a good fking night of sleep and not have to worry about someone breaking into your home, Thank those thin blue line heroes who are doing the work.

3. If you actually try, you will make it regardless of your race.
Appreciate 3
Murf99314114.00
Sedan_Clan24826.00
pikkagtr3847.00
      07-08-2020, 12:00 PM   #1047
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 Coupe, '21 X3, '16 GMC

Garage List
@Sedan_Clan

If an officer forgets to have the person they are writing a ticket to actually sign it, is it still valid or is that a basis for contesting it?

Officer wrote me a front plate violation instead of a fix it ticket because my car isn't old enough to qualify to not have a front plate apparently. Never been warned or pulled over before (in 10 years). Plus the officer was kind of an asshole. Normally I'd just pay it but all those things along with the fact that the $20 ticket gets up to $86 due to court costs even if paid electronically makes me want to just show up and get it dismissed.

Sorry for the rant. What's your thought?
2021 BMW x30i • Phytonic Blue Metallic • Fully loaded
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2020, 12:04 PM   #1048
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
@Sedan_Clan

If an officer forgets to have the person they are writing a ticket to actually sign it, is it still valid or is that a basis for contesting it?

Officer wrote me a front plate violation instead of a fix it ticket because my car isn't old enough to qualify to not have a front plate apparently. Never been warned or pulled over before (in 10 years). Plus the officer was kind of an asshole. Normally I'd just pay it but all those things along with the fact that the $20 ticket gets up to $86 due to court costs even if paid electronically makes me want to just show up and get it dismissed.

Sorry for the rant. What's your thought?
Sorry you dealt with an asshole.

Unfortunately you failing to sign isn't enough for a dismissal, at least not here in California. People refuse to sign often. I know you didn't refuse, but the citation is still valid despite the officer forgetting.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2020, 02:46 PM   #1049
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 Coupe, '21 X3, '16 GMC

Garage List
Quote:
Sorry you dealt with an asshole.

Unfortunately you failing to sign isn't enough for a dismissal, at least not here in California. People refuse to sign often. I know you didn't refuse, but the citation is still valid despite the officer forgetting.
Well thats a shame. Thanks for the response.
2021 BMW x30i • Phytonic Blue Metallic • Fully loaded
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan24826.00
      07-08-2020, 10:09 PM   #1050
Soul_Glo
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20

Have you ever let someone off a ticket out of Christmas spirit?

What's the most tickets an individual racked up in a night? For example you issued it but they did it again intentionally or by mistake so you had to issue another?

What do you like most about your job?
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2020, 10:17 PM   #1051
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soul_Glo View Post

What's the most tickets an individual racked up in a night? For example you issued it but they did it again intentionally or by mistake so you had to issue another?

I have let people off with warnings for a variety of reasons, Christmas included. These days I've resigned myself to not looking for trouble and only answering calls for service. The last 4 months have put me into career survival mode. I'm actually looking to leave patrol by next summer and seek an assignment that is not patrol oriented. It's just not worth it to be on patrol anymore in my humble opinion. I can go into it more if you're interested.

I used to enjoy being on patrol, helping people and making change, however small. My goal was to eventually make it to Special Victim's and help victims of rape, human trafficking, etc., but with the defund movement in full force, our SVB has been nixed along with every other special division we had.

As for the ticket inquiry....

....I can't recall a time where I wrote multiple tickets to the same person at different times during the shift, but I can recall a time where I should've taken someone to jail, but I let them go and ended up responding to their residence an hour later and arresting them. That's what I get for being nice.
Appreciate 2
Soul_Glo13293.00
upstatedoc7555.50
      07-08-2020, 10:33 PM   #1052
rwheels
Major
Rep
Drives: E93 M3

Hey Sedan, I have a question about double yellow lines. If a pair of double solid lines represents an island, are vehicles in opposing traffic required to pull aside, when an emergency vehicle travels through?
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2020, 10:36 PM   #1053
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwheels View Post
Hey Sedan, I have a question about double yellow lines. If a pair of double solid lines represents an island, are vehicles in opposing traffic required to pull aside, when an emergency vehicle travels through?
Per California Vehicle Code 21806(a)(1), vehicles shall yield to the right to make room for emergency vehicles. In those instances you needn't worry about violating the various other CVC's. We realize that your movement was performed for emergency purposes.
Appreciate 1
rwheels7066.50
      07-09-2020, 12:57 AM   #1054
Reborn_
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW Z4MC

One time I passed a couple of slow cars in the carpool lane on my bike. I waited for the break in double yellow, hit about 85 as I maneuvered out and back in. Saw the cop in my mirror so I dropped to 65. Sure enough he lit me up. It was nighttime so no way I was pulling on the left shoulder. So I turned my blinker on and cruised 2+ miles until the double yellows broke. It took forever. Pulled off on the shoulder and did all the right things. No ticket.

My question is, in that scenario, was I right to not cross the double yellow right in front of him to get over to the shoulder faster, even though it cost him time, and I’m sure he was waiting for me to run the entire time as well.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2020, 01:09 AM   #1055
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reborn_ View Post
One time I passed a couple of slow cars in the carpool lane on my bike. I waited for the break in double yellow, hit about 85 as I maneuvered out and back in. Saw the cop in my mirror so I dropped to 65. Sure enough he lit me up. It was nighttime so no way I was pulling on the left shoulder. So I turned my blinker on and cruised 2+ miles until the double yellows broke. It took forever. Pulled off on the shoulder and did all the right things. No ticket.

My question is, in that scenario, was I right to not break the law in front of him, even though it cost him time, and I'm sure he was waiting for me to run the entire time as well.
You did the right thing. Kudos to you. You maximized both your safety and the officer's safety all while improving visibility with regards to oncoming traffic.
Appreciate 2
Reborn_292.00
upstatedoc7555.50
      07-09-2020, 02:33 AM   #1056
Soul_Glo
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soul_Glo View Post

I have let people off with warnings for a variety of reasons, Christmas included. These days I've resigned myself to not looking for trouble and only answering calls for service. The last 4 months have put me into career survival mode. I'm actually looking to leave patrol by next summer and seek an assignment that is not patrol oriented. It's just not worth it to be on patrol anymore in my humble opinion. I can go into it more if you're interested.

I used to enjoy being on patrol, helping people and making change, however small. My goal was to eventually make it to Special Victim's and help victims of rape, human trafficking, etc., but with the defund movement in full force, our SVB has been nixed along with every other special division we had.

As for the ticket inquiry....

....I can't recall a time where I wrote multiple tickets to the same person at different times during the shift, but I can recall a time where I should've taken someone to jail, but I let them go and ended up responding to their residence an hour later and arresting them. That's what I get for being nice.
Yes I'm interested. Pray do tell.
Appreciate 0