BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BMW 5-Series (E60) Forums (2004 - 2009) > General 5-series and M5 (E60) Forum

10-31-2009, 09:15 PM   #1
Cdnrockies
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW's

2010 535xi

Hello everyone.

I've frequented this forum for quite some time but just joined today. I have recently been shopping a new '10 535xi and am wondering about some of the issues that I've heard about.

The most common problem with the x35i engine, from what I have heard, is fuel pumps,wastegates,fuel sensors,fuel injectors etc.issues. Being that this is the last model of the E60 has BMW still not fixed these problems?

I'm looking at a fully loaded model and would plan on adding the Dinan S2 package (well not the full package, but the ECU tune, exhaust and strut braces after talking to Dinan directly) and some new shoes next spring.

I have driven it and was surprised at how well it handled and how smooth it was for a larger car. The new iDrive was amazing compared to the previous generations. The biggest, and only, disappointment I have at this point is the lack of paddles. If any current owners want to chime in on the strengths and weaknesses I would greatly appreciate it.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2009, 09:38 PM   #2
Crisp
Lieutenant Colonel
Albania
Rep
Drives: F95 X5M

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdnrockies View Post
Hello everyone.

I've frequented this forum for quite some time but just joined today. I have recently been shopping a new '10 535xi and am wondering about some of the issues that I've heard about.

The most common problem with the x35i engine, from what I have heard, is fuel pumps,wastegates,fuel sensors,fuel injectors etc.issues. Being that this is the last model of the E60 has BMW still not fixed these problems?

I'm looking at a fully loaded model and would plan on adding the Dinan S2 package (well not the full package, but the ECU tune, exhaust and strut braces after talking to Dinan directly) and some new shoes next spring.

I have driven it and was surprised at how well it handled and how smooth it was for a larger car. The new iDrive was amazing compared to the previous generations. The biggest, and only, disappointment I have at this point is the lack of paddles. If any current owners want to chime in on the strengths and weaknesses I would greatly appreciate it.
I am currently a 2009 335i owner but I did spend a lot of time in a 535xi loaner car which made me fall in love with it.

As a result, I placed an order for one last month and it is supposed to arrive here in 2-3 weeks.

I ordered a 2010 535xi M-sport with Navigation, Logic 7, and a few more goodies.

The only "issue" for the N54 engine (x35) is the fuel pump.
I THINK it started acting up in my 2009 335i last winter, but then it went away. (I would have long cranks when starting the car).
That is the only issue I am aware of. Everything else, you are set.
There is no waste gate problem or anything else.
Those were taken care of in 2008.

I too was very disappointed with the lack of paddles in the Xi models.
I love them in my 335 and they are very convenient for quick downshifts.

As far as Dinan goes...in my opinion, they are a huge waste of money when it comes to their ECU packages.
The dealer will VOID your warranty if they see that the ECU has been touched.
Never mind if you go in there because your fuel pump dies out and they see you have a Dinan tune in there... get ready to pay for everything.
The dealer will not cover any modifications you have done to the car so if something goes wrong with your suspension, you're gonna have to deal with Dinan, not BMW.
They don't work together anymore.

PM me if you want to know more about what ECU upgrade choices you have.
I currently have a stealthy 100HP (80rwhp) setup on my 335 and have been to the dealer for a lot of warranty work (differential, axel, etc.) without them even knowing I have this extra 100hp.

As far as strengths and weaknesses of the 535xi that I have noticed:
body roll is more noticeable compared to my 335 and 535i with sports pkg since the 535xi does not get a sport tuned suspension or lower ride hight.
However, since it also does not get run-flat tires, it grips to the road A LOT better in real world driving conditions.
The run flat tires were made for track performance, not for the real world where there are bumps/potholes in turns.
If you hit a bump while in a turn (with run flat tires), the car jumps and shifts over. You don't feel safe at all.
However, with the 535xi, it would just absorb the bump and keep going as if nothing happened. I would not lose traction in a turn because of pumps and traction control would never interfere.

Like I said though, the downside is that you will have more body roll that you can notice during quick lane changes or such maneuvers.
      11-02-2009, 12:28 AM   #3
Cdnrockies
Banned
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisp View Post
I am currently a 2009 335i owner but I did spend a lot of time in a 535xi loaner car which made me fall in love with it.

As a result, I placed an order for one last month and it is supposed to arrive here in 2-3 weeks.

I ordered a 2010 535xi M-sport with Navigation, Logic 7, and a few more goodies.

The only "issue" for the N54 engine (x35) is the fuel pump.
I THINK it started acting up in my 2009 335i last winter, but then it went away. (I would have long cranks when starting the car).
That is the only issue I am aware of. Everything else, you are set.
There is no waste gate problem or anything else.
Those were taken care of in 2008.

I too was very disappointed with the lack of paddles in the Xi models.
I love them in my 335 and they are very convenient for quick downshifts.

As far as Dinan goes...in my opinion, they are a huge waste of money when it comes to their ECU packages.
The dealer will VOID your warranty if they see that the ECU has been touched.
Never mind if you go in there because your fuel pump dies out and they see you have a Dinan tune in there... get ready to pay for everything.
The dealer will not cover any modifications you have done to the car so if something goes wrong with your suspension, you're gonna have to deal with Dinan, not BMW.
They don't work together anymore.

PM me if you want to know more about what ECU upgrade choices you have.
I currently have a stealthy 100HP (80rwhp) setup on my 335 and have been to the dealer for a lot of warranty work (differential, axel, etc.) without them even knowing I have this extra 100hp.

As far as strengths and weaknesses of the 535xi that I have noticed:
body roll is more noticeable compared to my 335 and 535i with sports pkg since the 535xi does not get a sport tuned suspension or lower ride hight.
However, since it also does not get run-flat tires, it grips to the road A LOT better in real world driving conditions.
The run flat tires were made for track performance, not for the real world where there are bumps/potholes in turns.
If you hit a bump while in a turn (with run flat tires), the car jumps and shifts over. You don't feel safe at all.
However, with the 535xi, it would just absorb the bump and keep going as if nothing happened. I would not lose traction in a turn because of pumps and traction control would never interfere.

Like I said though, the downside is that you will have more body roll that you can notice during quick lane changes or such maneuvers.
Wow! Thanks so much for the comprehensive review.

I'm not sure what you're Dinan experience has been in the past, but my local dealer is also an authorized Dinan dealer/installer. I have spoken to both Dinan's head office as well as my local dealership, and they have assured me that the warranty is fully in effect even with the Dinan tune. This also of course applies to the exhaust and strut braces.

I understand what you're saying about the body roll compared to your 335. My DD is an '08 IS F so the 5 series doesn't handle anywhere close to it. I did think it handled surprisingly well for such a big car. I'm looking for something that will be stable and reliable in our snowy winters that is bigger than my F and still fun to drive.

We'll see....I'm still looking at the E series or maybe another SUV (X35d).
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2009, 09:54 PM   #4
Crisp
Lieutenant Colonel
Albania
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

I'm not sure what you're Dinan experience has been in the past, but my local dealer is also an authorized Dinan dealer/installer. I have spoken to both Dinan's head office as well as my local dealership, and they have assured me that the warranty is fully in effect even with the Dinan tune. This also of course applies to the exhaust and strut braces.

I understand what you're saying about the body roll compared to your 335. My DD is an '08 IS F so the 5 series doesn't handle anywhere close to it. I did think it handled surprisingly well for such a big car. I'm looking for something that will be stable and reliable in our snowy winters that is bigger than my F and still fun to drive.

The E550 is pretty nice as far as power and luxury goes.
It doesn't have the touch of a BMW though.

Also, I prefer the BMW service dep. over Lexus, Mercedes, and Audi.
I have tried them all, and BMW wins with customer relations and making you feel like a king. lol

If you talked to your dealer about the Dinan tune, that's a different story but I still think it's way too expensive for such low power numbers.
I guess you are paying for a more reliable and "warrantied" tune.
Which dealership is this BTW?

My suggestion for cars: go for an SUV.
If I was in your position, you already have a powerful 4 door daily driver and weekend car.
The 535 does not make much sense to me if I was in your shoes.
I would either tough out the winters with the IS-F and snow tires and get a Z06 for the weekends/summer, or if you want another rugged car, I would have went for a X5 or.....ehh, GL class (yea I know, mercedes. lol).

With a car like the X5, you can truly use it in the snow without worrying about the front lip getting damaged or the clearance being too low too.
      11-02-2009, 10:54 PM   #5
Cdnrockies
Banned
Canada
Rep

Quote:
The E550 is pretty nice as far as power and luxury goes.
It doesn't have the touch of a BMW though.

Also, I prefer the BMW service dep. over Lexus, Mercedes, and Audi.
I have tried them all, and BMW wins with customer relations and making you feel like a king. lol

If you talked to your dealer about the Dinan tune, that's a different story but I still think it's way too expensive for such low power numbers.
I guess you are paying for a more reliable and "warrantied" tune.
Which dealership is this BTW?

My suggestion for cars: go for an SUV.
If I was in your position, you already have a powerful 4 door daily driver and weekend car.
The 535 does not make much sense to me if I was in your shoes.
I would either tough out the winters with the IS-F and snow tires and get a Z06 for the weekends/summer, or if you want another rugged car, I would have went for a X5 or.....ehh, GL class (yea I know, mercedes. lol).

With a car like the X5, you can truly use it in the snow without worrying about the front lip getting damaged or the clearance being too low too.
Thanks again for the comments, they are appreciated.

In regards to service, I respect your opinion, but I'd have to wholeheartedly disagree. I currently have a Lexus and MB and just sold our BMW last Friday. The Lexus service is far better and reasonably priced than either of the Germans. BMW should be better as their cars spend more time in service...j/k.

I'm not sure how you can say the Dinan package is overpriced for a lack of power? With the tune and exhaust they are claiming a jump from 300hp/300 lb ft; all the way up to 381hp/400lb ft. Boost is increased from 8.8 psi up to 13. I'm dealing with Calgary BMW, one of only a handful of Dinan approved shops up here in Canada.

I already do drive the F in the winter. It's been far better than I could have ever imagined. I got a set of 18" OZ Ultraleggerra's with Blizzak LM 25 V's and it's been fantastic. I do want to give it more of a rest this winter however. Hence, the shopping for either a second SUV or an all wheel drive car.

I had an X5 until last week so I'm familiar with what they are capable of. I also already have an '09 ML 320 Bluetec (also the reason that the GL isn't really a consideration...too similar). I'm now a huge fan of the diesels which is why I'm really only considering the X35d.

I certainly hear you as far as the Z06. But really I want something that is also driveable year round. The realistic short list at the moment is the 535xi, E class, X35d and CTS V....although I still toy with the idea of an M3, GT R or C63.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2009, 02:51 PM   #6
Crisp
Lieutenant Colonel
Albania
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Thanks again for the comments, they are appreciated.

In regards to service, I respect your opinion, but I'd have to wholeheartedly disagree. I currently have a Lexus and MB and just sold our BMW last Friday. The Lexus service is far better and reasonably priced than either of the Germans. BMW should be better as their cars spend more time in service...j/k.

I'm not sure how you can say the Dinan package is overpriced for a lack of power? With the tune and exhaust they are claiming a jump from 300hp/300 lb ft; all the way up to 381hp/400lb ft. Boost is increased from 8.8 psi up to 13. I'm dealing with Calgary BMW, one of only a handful of Dinan approved shops up here in Canada.

I already do drive the F in the winter. It's been far better than I could have ever imagined. I got a set of 18" OZ Ultraleggerra's with Blizzak LM 25 V's and it's been fantastic. I do want to give it more of a rest this winter however. Hence, the shopping for either a second SUV or an all wheel drive car.

I had an X5 until last week so I'm familiar with what they are capable of. I also already have an '09 ML 320 Bluetec (also the reason that the GL isn't really a consideration...too similar). I'm now a huge fan of the diesels which is why I'm really only considering the X35d.

I certainly hear you as far as the Z06. But really I want something that is also driveable year round. The realistic short list at the moment is the 535xi, E class, X35d and CTS V....although I still toy with the idea of an M3, GT R or C63.
I agree with you that German cars will see the dealer A LOT more than japanese cars, but with BMW (and now Volvo), you pay nothing out of your pocket for any services, which includes oil changes, wipers, brakes, etc.
With Lexus and Mercedes, there will be a cost of ownership at the end of the year and you will have to deal with bills where as with BMW, you walk in and walk out.
I guess I'm speaking so highly of a BMW dealership because I have had a great experience with my dealership which is apparently the largest in the East Coast (Rallye BMW), but then again, I am comparing it to Rallye Lexus and Rallye Mercedes, so I think it's fair.

Power wise, the Dinan is way overpriced compared to other tunes because you are paying for their reliability and warranty.
Other tuners like JB3 and Proceed offer those HP numbers to the wheels, not crank like Dinan does.
So, for $400-$700, these tuners offer 100hp and 100ft.lb tq.
This is coming from 14-16PSI ranges and they have free updates as well as custom maps so you can change your PSI "with the push of a button".
JB3 for example, you can go from Stock PSI to 16psi just by pressing the gas pedal down a certain number of times with the car off.

You can also install these yourself in 20 minutes and they are plug and play.
(sounds like I work for these people, I know. haha)

I'm lost with your car choice though.
You have an SUV, you have a fun daily driver, so I don't understand where the 535 would fit in the lineup since it's relatively pricy ($60k USD).
I mean...to each their own, but with all the power and suspension mods you have lined up, it sounds like you are after a fun performance car instead of a winter car to give your IS-F a break.

If you are after a fun winter car that is also a daily driver, I'd go for a Porsche 911 996.
Actually, if I had the money for it, I'd go for the X6M.
But that's also a gas killer...

Anyway, my 535xi M sport is getting here around the 20th of this month so if you haven't decided yet till then, I'll post up pics, videos, and a full-er review if you want.
I'm sure you have or will test drive it before you get it, but I don't feel like I can rate a car based on one test drive.
My mind was set on this car once I had it for a week as a loaner.
      11-05-2009, 09:37 PM   #7
Cdnrockies
Banned
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Power wise, the Dinan is way overpriced compared to other tunes because you are paying for their reliability and warranty.
Other tuners like JB3 and Proceed offer those HP numbers to the wheels, not crank like Dinan does.
So, for $400-$700, these tuners offer 100hp and 100ft.lb tq.
This is coming from 14-16PSI ranges and they have free updates as well as custom maps so you can change your PSI "with the push of a button".
JB3 for example, you can go from Stock PSI to 16psi just by pressing the gas pedal down a certain number of times with the car off.
Really? Those numbers from just a tune? The package I'm looking at is tune, full exhaust, and strut braces.

Quote:
I'm lost with your car choice though.
So am I.

Quote:
You have an SUV, you have a fun daily driver, so I don't understand where the 535 would fit in the lineup since it's relatively pricy ($60k USD).
I mean...to each their own, but with all the power and suspension mods you have lined up, it sounds like you are after a fun performance car instead of a winter car to give your IS-F a break.

If you are after a fun winter car that is also a daily driver, I'd go for a Porsche 911 996.
Actually, if I had the money for it, I'd go for the X6M.
But that's also a gas killer....
The 535 would still be a solid winter driver, that would still be enough fun to keep me entertained. I have been trying to convince the wife that a "true" fun car would fit in nicelt. I've been trying to suggest a P car or Z06 or GT R....but that hasn't been going well.

The X6M (or ML63 or X5M) don't really appeal to me. If I was going to spend that kind of cash to go fast, it would definitely be a true sports car. My father has a new X6 and it's a ton of fun to drive....but utterly pointless if you're looking for any actual utility.

Quote:
Anyway, my 535xi M sport is getting here around the 20th of this month so if you haven't decided yet till then, I'll post up pics, videos, and a full-er review if you want.
I'm sure you have or will test drive it before you get it, but I don't feel like I can rate a car based on one test drive.
My mind was set on this car once I had it for a week as a loaner.
It is very unlikely I'll have done anything but maybe place a deposit over the next couple of weeks. I'll look forward to your review of your new ride.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2009, 11:29 PM   #8
Crisp
Lieutenant Colonel
Albania
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Really? Those numbers from just a tune? The package I'm looking at is tune, full exhaust, and strut braces.

So am I.

The 535 would still be a solid winter driver, that would still be enough fun to keep me entertained. I have been trying to convince the wife that a "true" fun car would fit in nicelt. I've been trying to suggest a P car or Z06 or GT R....but that hasn't been going well.

The X6M (or ML63 or X5M) don't really appeal to me. If I was going to spend that kind of cash to go fast, it would definitely be a true sports car. My father has a new X6 and it's a ton of fun to drive....but utterly pointless if you're looking for any actual utility.

It is very unlikely I'll have done anything but maybe place a deposit over the next couple of weeks. I'll look forward to your review of your new ride.
Yup, just a tune, but remember, you're at 14-16psi instead of 13 with the Dinan.
It is much more aggressive.

The fastest time with just a tune (JB3) for a 335i (i think he had 100octane) was 11.79, it's not a tune that is just advertised, it's also tested and backed up by proof.
The best part is that you get to change it based on the day/event.

For example, when I went to the track, I would run a race tune (16psi), but when I am doing daily driving, I just leave it to about 13-14psi, which is still more than a Dinan tune.

Like I said, when I get my car, I'll show you a difference between stock and JB3 tuned.
Here are some videos of my 335 E93 (4126lbs) with just a tune:

Stock is 13.9 for this car.
I ran 13.1 in 76 degree, humid weather.

http://www.burgertuning.com/

PS. I agree, the X6 is pointless.
It's more of an exotic SUV when you really don't need an SUV since it's a 4 seater which in my opinion, defies the purpose of an "SUV".
      11-24-2009, 10:53 PM   #9
NewM3driver
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 ZCP

Quote:

ISF? That car has a punishing ride. Handles OK, but they had to make it so stiff to accomplish the handling you end up with blood in your urine after an hour drive. Drive an M3 and you won't want to get back into your car.

E class? LOL Wait just a bit and get the new 5. It promises to be an awesome car.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2010, 12:52 PM   #10
Handsome_Rob
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 535i w/6spd!

535d is coming in a few months.
Appreciate 0