BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

12-16-2008, 11:24 PM   #23
morscode
Got Boost?
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19 x3 m40i

Wow. Looks sweet! Can't wait to get some sound samples. I'm definitely interested in the axleback, and midpipes when they get released.

Will the CF tips be inclusive with the intro price of $649, or do you have an estimate if they are an increased cost to the muffler.

Also, I'm not sure how CF handles the heat of the exhaust over time, can you elaborate on that a bit?
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2008, 03:57 PM   #24
maddad
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

The CF will have no issues with the temps it will see at the tail pipe. While the exhaust is hot, it's no where near the temperature of what it is early on in the exhaust stream. Also the CF is only on the outside layer. There is a 1/8" inner layer that the CF is fused to.

R.
      12-18-2008, 08:11 AM   #25
adrean8j
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: SGM 135I

Garage List
2008 135i  [10.00]
Looks interesting
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2008, 10:16 PM   #26
Dave Mac
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Rich-

I'm definately interested in your axle-back exhaust. I remember your stuff from the Subie world. Looks good so far.

Dave
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2008, 01:46 PM   #27
maddad
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Latest MadDad Exhaust Pics

Santa arrived today and dropped off a box.

I have a number of close up pics I'm gonig to post later but thought I'd post this one for now.

Keep in mind this isn't the end production product yet...but we're getting real close. This is about a 90% representation of the final product. The real big item up in the air is the final tip style(or styles if we offer two). There might be a slight change to the donut gasket flange as well. I showed a CF tip earlier this week..and it was the smaller of the two we're looking at(was the same size as the factory tips). I'll show some pics of the different sizes as I post more pics. This exhaust sample that I'll be installing this weekend has tips slighly larger than the ones shown in the earlier pics. About a .5".

I'll say this again because I think it's important. While this axleback exhaust can certainly be used as part of a full system we've made design decisions on the canister size, desity of exhaust packing, and pipe diameter with the assumption that the majority of folks would be running this with the factory intermediate pipe/resonators. Our goal is to give you the volume level of say, the BMW Catback, but in a more plug and play axleback setup. When we finally get this exhaust released we'll be starting work on a dedicated full system where the canister size and packing density will be different because our assumptions for that exhaust will be different. More to come.....

R.
      12-19-2008, 02:33 PM   #28
driftmotion
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: i3, 335i GT, e46 M3 vert SC

so when do i get one
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2008, 03:44 PM   #29
morscode
Got Boost?
United_States
Rep

So excited to hear this thing! Looks good.
Hopefully you can take some pictures with both types of tips installed this weekend and some sound!
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2008, 02:42 AM   #30
Feyd
Major
Rep
Drives: a DEEZZULL

this is looking real good!
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2008, 10:59 AM   #31
maddad
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

More pics

So here are a few more pics. This is just to show some of the craftmanship. All MadDad axleback and catback exhausts have always been hand crafted in the U.S. The TIG welds are all done by hand.

I have installed pics I'll post early next week. I haven't taken them off my camera yet. We had two feet of snow over the weekend so I installed the exhaust from my garage in 10 degree wheather. Not fun . I also managed to snap one of the two flange bolts so I have a C clamp on one side for the moment until I get a change to get a new factory bolt and find the time to remove the half-bolt that is threaded in.

I've driven about 100 miles and for sure the volume level is where I want it. It's enough of a difference to know you swapped your exhaust but not any louder. The intent here again was an exhaust that doesn't scream aftermarket. I personally want a little more sound from my exhaust without sacrificing the more grown up nature of the car(compared to my tricked out Subaru). Maybe I'm getting old, but I prefer my exhaust more on the quiet side than the loud side, but I also like to "hear" my car when I do stand on the gas pedel and I'm happy with the volume level we have here, remembering this is just an axleback you can later add an intermediate pipe if you like your applications louder. So the db level is about right. Now with that we're not ready for prime time yet. The fitment is great, but we need to make some system changes to eliminate a mild drone in the 1-2k rpm range. Some might not even call it drone but I'm massively picky about drone and will tell you I even think the factory exhaust has a drone around in the same 1-2k rmp as well when under slight load. I know there are many of you that would agree with me, and I want to ensure our exhaust eliminates that. So some minor canister and baffle changes are going to be made and I'm going test again. The sound is still great. I've driven most of those 100 miles with my window rolled down just so I could hear the extra tune playing from the rear. It will be about 3 weeks before we have the next revised unit done with the canister and baffle changes(some specific techniques to cancel the low rpm drone effect), and we're still uncertain on the tips so the next sample will have the CF tips on it. That's it for now. I'll update with some installed pics of the current unit early next week if not before.

Hand TIG welds

TIG welds on the hangers(actually, the entire exhaust it hand TIG welded. If your not familar with welding, TIG welds are better than MIG welds and more expensive as far as time/skill/labor costs)

Exhaust tip side. There is some dust on the CF tips, there are no knots. The CF weave is 100% perfect. We're still totally undecided on tips other than we will provide you with a black options...either by way of CF or ceramic coated stainless steel. We're looking at both OEM sided tips(the smaller of the two CF tips shown) and a half inch larger(the tips on the exhaust right now and the larger of the two CF shown).

12-24-2008, 12:00 PM   #32
arok
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 335i M-Sport

nice, can't wait to see it on the car
      12-24-2008, 12:31 PM   #33
Gogud
Private
Rep
Drives:

If your exhaust tips are the same size (or nearly) as stock, then why not design them so that the owner can merely slip the stock covers on them? A slightly larger diameter tip such as on the BMW Performance exhaust will still allow fitment of the covers. There is a how-to on the subject. Unnecessary development time and money only increases the cost to the end user.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2008, 10:02 PM   #34
morscode
Got Boost?
United_States
Rep

Nice product, I'd personally prefer the larger of the CF tips.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2008, 08:16 PM   #35
maddad
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

The last pic I'll post before we get the next sample installed. This will give you an idea of what the "larger" of the two tip sizes will look like. The next sample will have a set of the Carbon Fiber tips installed. While the photo might make it look like the tips touch, they do not. It's just the angle you've seeing things from in the photo.

I'm happy with the tip centering and clearance. I'm looking forward to round 2 of our testing and feel pretty sure we'll have it all wrapped up by end of January so we can start production.

R.
      12-31-2008, 08:24 PM   #36
Monaco35Dream
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08' 135i, 96' Talon Tsi AWD

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
looks good!!
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2009, 01:21 PM   #37
driftmotion
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: i3, 335i GT, e46 M3 vert SC

maddad = second to none quality and attention to details!!!!
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2009, 08:35 PM   #38
driftdriven
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

CRAP!! Another product I can't wait to get
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2009, 08:37 PM   #39
N54tt
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BLUE on BLACK

woot!!! lets hear this thing!!!!!
      01-04-2009, 08:43 PM   #40
T330
T
Rep
Drives: X5

looks good!
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2009, 02:24 AM   #41
WAY
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: Fast ones

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddad View Post
I'll say this again because I think it's important. While this axleback exhaust can certainly be used as part of a full system we've made design decisions on the canister size, desity of exhaust packing, and pipe diameter with the assumption that the majority of folks would be running this with the factory intermediate pipe/resonators. Our goal is to give you the volume level of say, the BMW Catback, but in a more plug and play axleback setup. When we finally get this exhaust released we'll be starting work on a dedicated full system where the canister size and packing density will be different because our assumptions for that exhaust will be different. More to come.....
Can you tell me what the full system will entail? Will it be more focussed on liberating the maximum power possible from the exhaust? And by full system, are you talking about aft of the downpipes?
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2009, 08:48 AM   #42
maddad
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAY View Post
Can you tell me what the full system will entail? Will it be more focussed on liberating the maximum power possible from the exhaust? And by full system, are you talking about aft of the downpipes?
Where doing 2 things. One, a more focused full system from the downpipes back. That system will run two pipes all the way down into a dual inlet canister...so in this setup there will be no merging of pipes. The axleback section will have two inlets and two full baffles internally so it will be as close to a dual exhaust as you can get from a flow perspective...only with a single canister. I don't have an ETA for this system yet but just throwing a dart out there I'd say it's more in the April/May timeframe.

The 2nd offering and one that will be more immediate, is an intermediate pipe that runs from the downpipes back but merges into a single just like the factory, but eliminating the last 2 cats to free up a little more flow/power. You could add this pipe to the axleback being shown here or use it with your factory axleback or any other bolt on axleback available. I've seen many many posts from folks looking for a cost effective intermediate pipe and that is what this piece will be.

On a different note, just an fyi where going to hold off on the sound clips until we get the next system in later in the month. I'm going to try and organize a meet with some local folks that might be running other exhausts currently so we can compare/contrast as well as just enjoy a winter meet for those of us New England folks who still drive our 1's in the winter.

R.
      01-05-2009, 05:06 PM   #43
WAY
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: Fast ones

Quote:
Where doing 2 things. One, a more focused full system from the downpipes back. That system will run two pipes all the way down into a dual inlet canister...so in this setup there will be no merging of pipes. The axleback section will have two inlets and two full baffles internally so it will be as close to a dual exhaust as you can get from a flow perspective...only with a single canister. I don't have an ETA for this system yet but just throwing a dart out there I'd say it's more in the April/May timeframe.

The 2nd offering and one that will be more immediate, is an intermediate pipe that runs from the downpipes back but merges into a single just like the factory, but eliminating the last 2 cats to free up a little more flow/power. You could add this pipe to the axleback being shown here or use it with your factory axleback or any other bolt on axleback available. I've seen many many posts from folks looking for a cost effective intermediate pipe and that is what this piece will be.

R.
I like the sound of the first one. Bring it on! :thumbup:
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2009, 07:46 PM   #44
135forthewin
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: sideways

Quote:

(...)

(...)

R.
I'm interested in this option. Any guess on pricing yet?
Appreciate 0