BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

02-02-2023, 11:04 AM   #23
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

Just wanted to close this out. I thought about it some more and I really just want a fun manual car to take out to the mountain roads. Don't really want to spend a fortune as we have several other cars and I don't want to deal with the hassle of a bunch of expensive maintenance or repairs. Ended up getting this for about half the price of most everything else I was looking at. Not what I would call roomy, but I fit fine and it has an adjustable steering wheel which makes it even better. Hopefully it will scratch the itch for a couple years. If not I'm sure I'll have another post.

Appreciate 9
c1pher4645.50
Alfisti6496.00
mecheng771006.00
Germanauto9698.00
chris7197324.00
SoCal_NSX2398.00
chassis6479.00
br438583.50
      02-02-2023, 11:17 AM   #24
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep
Drives: All of them

Garage List
Congrats! I like the idea of a Miata, small, light, RWD. I just wish it had more power and a tighter suspension out of the box. I realize the mod market is huge but by the time I got it where I wanted, I could have probably just gotten a base 718. Obviously, not everyone is me. I realize there's a about $25k spread between a new base 718 and a new Miata, but if you are willing to go CPO on the Porsche, you can close the gap and find them just below $50k. And with prices dropping, it will only get better.

Boxster #1 Base Lava 718

Boxster #2 Aventurine Green GTS 4.0 718
Appreciate 1
Germanauto9698.00
      02-02-2023, 11:32 AM   #25
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by c1pher View Post
Congrats! I like the idea of a Miata, small, light, RWD. I just wish it had more power and a tighter suspension out of the box. I realize the mod market is huge but by the time I got it where I wanted, I could have probably just gotten a base 718. Obviously, not everyone is me. I realize there's a about $25k spread between a new base 718 and a new Miata, but if you are willing to go CPO on the Porsche, you can close the gap and find them just below $50k. And with prices dropping, it will only get better.

Boxster #1 Base Lava 718

Boxster #2 Aventurine Green GTS 4.0 718
Thanks! The cheapest I've seen a CPO manual 718 base was low $60k, but honestly there hasn't been many, mostly all PDK. Still at $50k CPO I could buy 2 CPO Miatas and with the Mazda I'm not too worried about maintenance and repairs regardless of CPO.

I just didn't want to spend that on something I wasn't 100% on. I'm still not sure if I will enjoy the turbo 4 as much long term. I like my NA engines and I honestly don't need that much power (coming from American V8s for the last like 3 cars ). This one I can actually drive the piss out of it without being up over 120 mph. I actually think the power is fine, definitely better than some of the older Miatas I drove. I found it pretty tight around corners, not Porsche tight, but tight enough. I dunno if the hard top has something to do with it, or if they stiffened up the newer model years, but it felt much tighter than a different Miata I drove a while back.

Anyways I'm willing to roll the dice a little at this price point. This isn't a FL car, this is meant to be in the twisties so I will reserve judgement until I take it up there.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2023, 11:52 AM   #26
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep
Drives: All of them

Garage List
I get your point about the engine. Once I learned how to drive the base and keep it in the right RPM range, my turbo lag issues were gone. Opting for a PDK takes the thinking out the equation since it know how to keep you in the sweet spot constantly. As far as maintenance, Only issue I've had was on the base 718 the satellite antenna failed and was replaced under warranty. So far both cars have been flawless. Other than the free maintenance, I take my cars to an independent shop which charges much more realistic prices and actually knows Porsches better than the dealer.

I sincerely hope you enjoy it and get many miles of fun!
Appreciate 1
      02-02-2023, 01:32 PM   #27
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingat30fps View Post
Just wanted to close this out. I thought about it some more and I really just want a fun manual car to take out to the mountain roads. Don't really want to spend a fortune as we have several other cars and I don't want to deal with the hassle of a bunch of expensive maintenance or repairs. Ended up getting this for about half the price of most everything else I was looking at. Not what I would call roomy, but I fit fine and it has an adjustable steering wheel which makes it even better. Hopefully it will scratch the itch for a couple years. If not I'm sure I'll have another post.

Very nice choice. Last summer I test drove a red 2023 RF 6MT. I really loved the car, but being a crack over 6' 1" and with long legs, the car was about 5-10% too small in every dimension for me. Sky is the limit with those cars. You can totally make the car you're own. After sadly realizing that the RF was too small for me, I shifted gears and went to a 2011 Cayman Base for only a few thousand less as the new RF I was looking at. This Cayman will cost me, that is for sure
      02-02-2023, 03:24 PM   #28
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by c1pher View Post
I get your point about the engine. Once I learned how to drive the base and keep it in the right RPM range, my turbo lag issues were gone. Opting for a PDK takes the thinking out the equation since it know how to keep you in the sweet spot constantly.
I did notice this. The first one I ever drove was a base and an s both PDK back to back. That's what got me interested in the 718. I honestly don't really recall feeling lag at all on those PDK ones. However it was totally there when I drove a base manual. Still a blast and I will probably revisit it in a couple of years. For shits and giggles I test drove the new Z4 3.0 because they happened to have one there... I hated it soo much! The looks and comfort and all that was fantastic, but I felt it drove like crap to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XutvJet View Post
Very nice choice. Last summer I test drove a red 2023 RF 6MT. I really loved the car, but being a crack over 6' 1" and with long legs, the car was about 5-10% too small in every dimension for me. Sky is the limit with those cars. You can totally make the car you're own. After sadly realizing that the RF was too small for me, I shifted gears and went to a 2011 Cayman Base for only a few thousand less as the new RF I was looking at. This Cayman will cost me, that is for sure
Luckily I'm only like 5' 7" but horizontally gifted so that's the bigger issue for me. The fact that the steering wheel adjusts make a big difference. I also like the idea of having something I can work on myself more easily. I have friends who race miatas and do nothing but deal with miatas all day so maintenance repair I'm not really concerned with.

Plus honestly Porsche is not in my good graces at the moment as the Cayenne is with them right now. Has been there for a week and I'm pretty sure they only even looked at it like a day ago and of course claim they can't replicate any of the issues I brought up, but most importantly claim there's no oil leak which was the main reason I took it in. Like dude, I literally had my indy put it on the lift and check it to make sure it wasn't something they fucked up on their oil change (even though they are very good and I trust them more than dealer). I went and looked at it myself and what I believe is the rear main seal was all COVERED in oil. There is also oil on my garage floor, don't tell me there is no leak.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2023, 02:07 AM   #29
DavesZupra4
Banned
Rep
Drives: Z4 M40

Quote:
So I sold my mustang early last year and have been waiting to get a new fun car. I have been doing American muscle for a while now. Started with the 2016 camaro, then did C7 corvette and last was the mustang GT.

Now I'm kind of wanting to go back to something smaller and would really like a convertible to take out to the mountains. This market sucks ass so I'm still waiting to get something. I think I'm either going to go with a Z4M if I can ever find one close by in good condition for a price I like or a boxster.

Now I have never really followed the boxster market as I was never in the market for one. However I think some people on here probably do so just wondering what is the market like right now for a 718 boxster. How does it compare to pre 2020, do you think it's going to drop? I think I have noticed a slight drop in the time that I have been looking but hard to say. I know I definitely want a manual so pickings are slim.
Get a z4 m40i
you won't be disappointed it sets better lap times than the m2 comp and thats with the euros 330hp only.

I have it and compared to the m2/3/4, it handles better and turns in faster and sharper and can violently turn and stay planted, higher g skidpad than the f80/2 m2 comp, AND G80/2.

Ive tuned it to 450wheel and 500trq and let me tell you the acceleration feels waaay faster and more dangerous than thr g82 I drove. Literally the shorter wheelbase,height, length, but width as large as a new m3, and sitting rifht at the rear axle, just makes it go and go and weighs around 450-650lbs less than the m3/4 and it's just soo fun and can effortlessly take corners at speeds that most cars don't. I'd get the z4 m40i
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2023, 08:16 AM   #30
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 718 Cayman

I have a 718 and absolutely love it. The turbo 4 is very linear in power delivery and pulls hard to 7k+.
Appreciate 2
      02-05-2023, 03:37 PM   #31
SoCal_NSX
Major
Rep
Drives: 981CS/428/is250/JLU Rubicon

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorfast View Post
I have a 718 and absolutely love it. The turbo 4 is very linear in power delivery and pulls hard to 7k+.
me too, dumped my 981 CS w/pdk with a flat six after test driving a manual 718 and a manual 981 back to back...flew out to AZ to pick up a 6MT 718 a week later

Appreciate 1
      02-05-2023, 03:38 PM   #32
SoCal_NSX
Major
Rep

Quote:

congrats! that is a great drivers car
Appreciate 1
      02-05-2023, 06:29 PM   #33
DavesZupra4
Banned
Rep
Drives: Z4 M40

I'm sorry but i could NEVER get a boxster. The cheapest model of Porsche I'd get is the Cayman gt4. Buying a boxster just tells people you couldn't get a 911.

I'm sure everyone here can, but they really cut corners with thr boxster that they at least don't as much with the Cayman. If you're gonna get a Porsche, just get a 911 or Cayman gt4.
Appreciate 1
chassis6479.00
      02-05-2023, 07:14 PM   #34
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Camaro SS 1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavesZupra4 View Post
I'm sorry but i could NEVER get a boxster. The cheapest model of Porsche I'd get is the Cayman gt4. Buying a boxster just tells people you couldn't get a 911.

I'm sure everyone here can, but they really cut corners with thr boxster that they at least don't as much with the Cayman. If you're gonna get a Porsche, just get a 911 or Cayman gt4.
chris7197324.00
Alfisti6496.00
gatorfast4988.50
      02-05-2023, 07:18 PM   #35
SoCal_NSX
Major
Rep

Quote:

that's just dumb....and people buy z4's cuz they can't afford either

Cayman/Boxters are mid engine, smaller and lighter than the 911...a lot of people like that aspect and driving dynamics.

People buy them for many reasons but that's insulting and completely ignorant about not being able to afford a 911 ...most people who buy Porsches(911,Cayman, Boxter, etc) have multiple cars and could most likely afford which ever one they wanted..
Appreciate 2
      02-05-2023, 10:57 PM   #36
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Sounds like a you problem. If you gave me a cayman gt4 I would sell it and buy a boxster and a Z4MR.
Appreciate 1
chris7197324.00
      02-06-2023, 04:40 AM   #37
mecheng77
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i / 2014 M235i

Garage List
  [0.00]
  [0.00]
Quote:

Cayman is better than a 911, it’s mid engine and one of the best handling cars in the world. One isn’t more reliable than the other either
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2023, 08:30 AM   #38
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

Quote:

First gen 986 Boxsters were a bit "cheap" for a Porsche in terms of interior materials, but that was the case for the 996 Porsches to an extent as well. At that time, Porsche was just trying to survive and they had just begun a new, more efficient production process.

The 987 cars were vastly improved and shared even more parts with the 911. My 987 as a ton of interior, exterior, drivetrain, and chassis parts directly shared with the 911 which is upsetting to some 911 owners that spent way more on their cars.

As others noted, mid-engine is what you want for a sports car. Porsche has certainly worked its magic making the 911 handle superbly with all that weight hanging on the ass end, but it's no match, dynamically, when compared to a mid-engine car. Most any enthusiast and track/professional will tell you the mid-engine Cayman/Boxster is the best sports car Porsche offers plus it's the cheapest too.

The only "cheap" thing I note on my 2011 Cayman is the rubberized black paint use on many of the plastics. That stuff scuff/scratches and degrades over time, especially when exposed to sunlight/heat on cars that sat outside most of their life. I don't worry too much about it as it's a low $30K car that's 12 y/o.

What I do find impressive is just how thick the metal panels are on the car. Porsche could have saved a bit of weight going with thinner metal on these cars. The metal is very dense and has no give except perhaps the aluminum hood. The car is very solidly built and doesn't rattle unless I'm driving it in sub 40 degree weather and it's sat for weeks.
      02-06-2023, 12:38 PM   #39
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by XutvJet View Post
First gen 986 Boxsters were a bit "cheap" for a Porsche in terms of interior materials, but that was the case for the 996 Porsches to an extent as well. At that time, Porsche was just trying to survive and they had just begun a new, more efficient production process.

The 987 cars were vastly improved and shared even more parts with the 911. My 987 as a ton of interior, exterior, drivetrain, and chassis parts directly shared with the 911 which is upsetting to some 911 owners that spent way more on their cars.

As others noted, mid-engine is what you want for a sports car. Porsche has certainly worked its magic making the 911 handle superbly with all that weight hanging on the ass end, but it's no match, dynamically, when compared to a mid-engine car. Most any enthusiast and track/professional will tell you the mid-engine Cayman/Boxster is the best sports car Porsche offers plus it's the cheapest too.

The only "cheap" thing I note on my 2011 Cayman is the rubberized black paint use on many of the plastics. That stuff scuff/scratches and degrades over time, especially when exposed to sunlight/heat on cars that sat outside most of their life. I don't worry too much about it as it's a low $30K car that's 12 y/o.

What I do find impressive is just how thick the metal panels are on the car. Porsche could have saved a bit of weight going with thinner metal on these cars. The metal is very dense and has no give except perhaps the aluminum hood. The car is very solidly built and doesn't rattle unless I'm driving it in sub 40 degree weather and it's sat for weeks.
You're trying to reason with someone who thinks his Z4 is faster than a G8x and M2C on track and posts all kinds of batshit stuff in this section.
Appreciate 0