BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

07-13-2006, 11:54 AM   #89
shimshimhada
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Portal

I just realized the word "macho" was used in the original post.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2006, 06:36 PM   #90
JO3
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: a lot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil
Or because there is so much traffic everywhere that shifting every 10 seconds becomes stupid.
If you're shifting every 10 seconds in traffic, either you're doing it wrong or your area has extremely bizzare traffic patterns.

Honestly, driving a stick shift in traffic is not hard. I'm not sure how this stereotype got started, but a lot of times it's being propagated by people who don't even know how to drive a stick!
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2006, 10:57 PM   #91
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by JO3
If you're shifting every 10 seconds in traffic, either you're doing it wrong or your area has extremely bizzare traffic patterns.

Honestly, driving a stick shift in traffic is not hard. I'm not sure how this stereotype got started, but a lot of times it's being propagated by people who don't even know how to drive a stick!
I agree. I never understood the traffic argument with regards to manual transmissions, and I have to deal with Southern California's congested freeways. That argument sounds about as silly as the contention that the ///M3 doesn't make a good daily driver. I wonder about some people.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2006, 06:36 AM   #92
E92-330D
Rep
Drives: E90 320d | E92 330d ordered

When I was working on the order for my E92, I test drove an auto 3 litre E90 and it just felt so detached, like I wasnt really driving, it was more like playing a computer game. I didnt enjoy it one bit. But then in England its mostly manual transmissions anyway, with autos reserved for people who've lost interest in driving, oh and Americans who move here (jk).

I think its cruel to put an automatic in performance car.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2006, 08:06 AM   #93
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by E92-330D
When I was working on the order for my E92, I test drove an auto 3 litre E90 and it just felt so detached, like I wasnt really driving, it was more like playing a computer game. I didnt enjoy it one bit. But then in England its mostly manual transmissions anyway, with autos reserved for people who've lost interest in driving, oh and Americans who move here (jk).

I think its cruel to put an automatic in performance car.
That's whats so strange about this whole debate. In the UK cars are manual by default, with only eccentric old ladies (ref: automatic rover metros) and rich people (jags) having auto's a few years ago.

The problem used to be that they just sapped performance and used more fuel. If you have a jag this doesn't matter and if you are an old lady - you don't want to drive fast anyway.

This is still true to a limited extent, but technology like the DSG (porsche / audi) have upped the image of auto's nicely.

My 530d has an auto (as does almost every other e60 in the UK). I was tipped in that direction mainly by the dealer. In effect auto=luxury so people demand it in an e60 along with leather seats and wood trim.

One thing though - which is a FACT - is that it is not as involving to drive as a manual. For some that is a good thing - if you want to waft along insulated from the cares of the world then autos are ideal. But for me, this has removed some of the pleasure of driving.

For this reason (mainly) - I am ditching my e60 and have just ordered a manual 330i m-sport.

I don't think my machismo comes into it since I don't have to justify buying a manual, it's honestly just more fun.

And I agree - it is a cruel and unecessary thing to put an auto in a performance car (by which I mean a true auto not a sequential manual gearbox).

(edit: except for in the 335d / 535d where the torque would make a manual gearbox explode)
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2006, 11:56 AM   #94
jojogargoles
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmulax
Could I opt for an automatic at some point in my life? Sure... but for now, I want nothing but a mt. I also think a lot has to do with the vehicle. For instance, I feel wierd driving a truck/suv that's not an automatic; just as I feel odd driving a sporty car that's not a stick.

I also prefer the stick because of the rush-hour commute. I know this sounds odd... why would I want to do the 1st, 2nd, stop, 1st, stop, 1st, 2nd row on the way home each day. But after a long day at work, rowing through the gears forces me to be involved and aware of what I'm doing. With an automatic, I have a tendancy to just zone out and lose focus on what I'm doing.

got a point there.... same to me sometimes i fall asleep with aoutomatic transmission specialy at night but on a stick im very awake and alive!

plus you cannot make your tire squik if your using an automatic trans when changing 1st gear to 2nd on a high RPM! and DAMN that feels GOOD!!!!!
      07-25-2006, 03:14 AM   #95
climkt
Bimmer Manual all the way
Singapore
Rep
Drives: e90 320i manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksfrogman
i'd feel like less of a man without my stick.
i don't think driving an auto car/ F1 SMG/ SMG/tip make anyone less of a man.
These days, high end auto cars are shifting much faster than manual and auto car pick ups are faster. for low engine cars, manual still rules in pure acceleration.
manual stick driving is all about driver involvement. the fun of total control of your gear ratios. i have driven manual cars since i passed my driving test in 1989. still love it after 17yrs/ less than 2 % of passenger cars here are manual, excluding taxis and commercial vehicles.. tried an e46 auto and the experience was bad. i find it nice being able to leave my car in neutral and hand brake on whilst everybody around me is depressing foot brake for ages at the lights. True manual car drivers will always keep driving manual.
________
Starcraft Ii Replays
________
Blowjob gay
________
Blonde live

Last edited by climkt; 04-22-2011 at 02:43 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2006, 03:21 AM   #96
climkt
Bimmer Manual all the way
Singapore
Rep
Drives: e90 320i manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by needforspeed
That's whats so strange about this whole debate. In the UK cars are manual by default, with only eccentric old ladies (ref: automatic rover metros) and rich people (jags) having auto's a few years ago.
UK is a great place to buy manual cars. u walk into a showroom an there is bound to be a showroom manual or a dealer car to test drive in manual. here , a manual showroom car is such a rarity. the BMW showroom cars are usually ALL AUTO. a real boring place to buy a car.
________
Daimler sovereign
________
MOTORCYCLE TIRES
________
PREGNANT ANAL

Last edited by climkt; 04-22-2011 at 02:43 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2006, 03:32 AM   #97
luckystrike
First Lieutenant
Austria
Rep
Drives: X3 F25 MSport

here in europe it will be shamefull if you own a auto considering all drivers including women and old women drive a manual., it only means one thing YOU DONT KNOW HOW TO DRIVE!!., in the US i was suprise to see a lot of cars have auto well maybe its more convenient for them and/or most of them dont know really how to drive!!

black saph./black leather/xenon/heated seatscomfort pkg./advantage pkg
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2006, 03:41 AM   #98
luckystrike
First Lieutenant
Austria
Rep
Drives: X3 F25 MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwiBlueG35
Oh no stick shift car for me. I am too lazy to even learn it. I wish I can find a beautiful girl who can, then I can pull her hand onto my "stick".

so your admitting you dont really know how to drive?

black saph./black leather/xenon/heated seatscomfort pkg./advantage pkg
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2006, 07:55 AM   #99
Major
Rep
Drives: E90 325i; F10 528i; 2002tii

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckystrike
here in europe it will be shamefull if you own a auto considering all drivers including women and old women drive a manual., it only means one thing YOU DONT KNOW HOW TO DRIVE!!., in the US i was suprise to see a lot of cars have auto well maybe its more convenient for them and/or most of them dont know really how to drive!!
Americans are, for some reason, easily manipulated. Automatics, AWD and SUVs are all sold in large numbers to people who don’t understand the tradeoffs they have just paid thousands of dollars for. This is also seen in other areas (politics comes to mind), and is rather disturbing.

Any you are right—most of us do NOT know how to drive.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2006, 08:30 AM   #100
Richwm
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 E90 330i 6MT, 01 E46 330i

Garage List
I agree I feal the same way!! Its all about the conrtol, I guess that means im a control freak.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maq
I don't drive a manual car because I think I shift faster. It's about having total control of the vehicle. Sometimes I want the shifts to be fast, sometimes nice and slow, only a real manual 'box with a real clutch pedal can give you that kind of control, not even SMG or DSG. It's also more fun, and I get to hear the awsome noise my Eurosport CAI and Eisenmann Race make when I rev-match downshift.

As for driving stick in bumper to bumper traffic, it doesn't bother me at all. If you drive stick for long enough, shifting will become a second nature of yours. You become so used to shifting that your left leg and right arm will just do the gear shifts without any thinking.

I do however appreciate a nice and smooth auto tranny in something like an X5 or 750i.
Mar 05 Build date,2006 E90 330i, Sport Package, Premium Package, TR MT-1's . V-1 Hard-wired power with custom V-1 Concealment Display . Rear fogs, Rear power outlet's, M short shifter knob, BlackLines, BMW Strut tower bar, CDV Delete, Front M3 wishbones + tension struts, BMW Performance shocks and springs, BMW Performance Brake kit F&R, OEM short shift kit. Rear M3 Guide rods and Wishbones.
2006 E-90 330i with 302,000 miles.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2006, 08:38 AM   #101
Richwm
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 E90 330i 6MT, 01 E46 330i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by calvino
you know wat I think is hot, a woman driving stick !!!

but sometimes is a little scary too, like my GF, she as had like 3 car accidents this year, I can't imagine her driving a manual.

I just know one thing she is not driving my car anytime soon !
My wife's daily driver is my old E46 5 spd manual but her POS F150 is an auto.
Mar 05 Build date,2006 E90 330i, Sport Package, Premium Package, TR MT-1's . V-1 Hard-wired power with custom V-1 Concealment Display . Rear fogs, Rear power outlet's, M short shifter knob, BlackLines, BMW Strut tower bar, CDV Delete, Front M3 wishbones + tension struts, BMW Performance shocks and springs, BMW Performance Brake kit F&R, OEM short shift kit. Rear M3 Guide rods and Wishbones.
2006 E-90 330i with 302,000 miles.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2006, 08:45 AM   #102
MrSilver
Judge Advocate General
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

Garage List
2007 e92 335i  [0.00]
I'd feel like less of a driver.

'07 E92 335i "Over-Heating" and "Blowing Up" since 9-5-06
6MT, Space Gray, Gray w/ Dakota Leather, Dark Burl, ZSP, ZPP, ZCW
Comfort Access, Sirius Satellite (Howard is not optional)

'07 X3 3.0si - Black on Black, ZPP, ZCW, Step. - Wife's car
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2006, 09:49 AM   #103
mali_panj
Enlisted Member
Croatia
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 330i

there is nothing like a manual gearbox, heel-toe braking before the curve,
like a racing car, bliping on the throttle before lower gear...

automatic is perfect for women and mercedes drivers
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2006, 12:14 PM   #104
red_wagen
Private First Class
Philippines
Rep
Drives: with a grin...

If you need stick shift to validate your being macho then maybe you're not. And yes, I drive stick.
      08-25-2006, 12:18 PM   #105
red_wagen
Private First Class
Philippines
Rep
Drives: with a grin...

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvino
you know wat I think is hot, a woman driving stick !!!
W3rd
      08-28-2006, 06:44 AM   #106
Major
Rep
Drives: E90 325i; F10 528i; 2002tii

Quote:
Originally Posted by mali_panj
automatic is perfect for women and mercedes drivers
I have a wife, a daughter and two sisters who would take exception to that comment
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2006, 02:22 AM   #107
850CSi
16 years and counting...
Rep
Drives: '06 325i 6MT

I see absolutely no advantage to an automatic transmission unless you're too lazy to shift. I also think that no BMW should be plagued with an auto; Get a Mercedes. Call me a troll, just the way I feel. I don't like a transmission that is more complicated, more expensive, and sacrifices speed, gas mileage, and control. Some people have bad legs or live in areas where driving a stick would put them at risk of getting tendonitis - I can see their reason and I won't ever tell anyone to get a stick in that case.

I feel like something's missing when I drive an auto - the lack of ability to regulate what the car's doing just drives me mad.
      12-16-2006, 11:15 AM   #108
enwhykiid
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 titanium 330XI

what was the point of reviving a 4 month old thread?
      12-16-2006, 02:01 PM   #109
BK
Smiling politely
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by enwhykiid
what was the point of reviving a 4 month old thread?

To finally and fully resolve the question of AT versus MT. Now it is done.