BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BMW 5-Series (E60) Forums (2004 - 2009) > General 5-series and M5 (E60) Forum

02-13-2021, 02:30 PM   #1
spooner1sm
Bimmer Baby
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 528xi

Headlight Bulb Stuck In Harness

Pardon my language, but how the FUCK do you get the headlight bulbs out of their harness?

I've got halogens, not xenons, and they've gotten quite dim. Figured I'd change them. Watched a few different videos and they all make it look so easy.

Step 1: Open the cover.
Step 2: Twist to release bulb and harness.
Step 3: "Just" remove the bulb.

I can do step 1 and 2 in about 10 seconds. But I just can't do step 3. I've seen someone just grab the bulb from the base and pull it out with less strength than you need to pick up a teaspoon. Someone else said "release the two metal tabs" and then proceeded to remove it with ease. I've tried both of those methods, 30 minutes of swearing, pushing, pulling, and almost popping a vein trying to just release the bulb from the harness so that I can put the new one in.

Is there some kind of secret trick that everyone's leaving out of their videos? Has my bulb fused itself to the harness? I tried getting the bulb out on both sides and still can't release it. I'm basically at my wit's end here. Any help would be appreciated before I give up and take it to a $tealership to get them to do it.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2021, 09:32 AM   #2
tmw1212
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 528ixDrive

Garage List
2009 BMW 528i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by spooner1sm View Post
Pardon my language, but how the FUCK do you get the headlight bulbs out of their harness?

I've got halogens, not xenons, and they've gotten quite dim. Figured I'd change them. Watched a few different videos and they all make it look so easy.

Step 1: Open the cover.
Step 2: Twist to release bulb and harness.
Step 3: "Just" remove the bulb.

I can do step 1 and 2 in about 10 seconds. But I just can't do step 3. I've seen someone just grab the bulb from the base and pull it out with less strength than you need to pick up a teaspoon. Someone else said "release the two metal tabs" and then proceeded to remove it with ease. I've tried both of those methods, 30 minutes of swearing, pushing, pulling, and almost popping a vein trying to just release the bulb from the harness so that I can put the new one in.

Is there some kind of secret trick that everyone's leaving out of their videos? Has my bulb fused itself to the harness? I tried getting the bulb out on both sides and still can't release it. I'm basically at my wit's end here. Any help would be appreciated before I give up and take it to a $tealership to get them to do it.
Just use a small screwdriver to pry from underneath the bulb that's what I did and yes, it's a pain in the ass
Appreciate 0