BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

07-29-2007, 04:06 PM   #1
67bmer
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 325is, e92 328i

2 days in NY city or Chicago

My wife will be in NY city next week and Chicago the week after. I have spent 1 day in NY and have never been outside of O'Hare.

Which would you choose?

What would you do in Chicago for 2 days/1 night?

What would you do in NY for 2 days/1 night?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2007, 04:12 PM   #2
spacedogg
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Debadged

2 days in NYC. Much more to do...although you won't be bored with two days in Chicago either.

But I think NYC is more fun.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2007, 04:50 PM   #3
achien
AC
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 Post Members Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacedogg View Post
2 days in NYC. Much more to do...although you won't be bored with two days in Chicago either.

But I think NYC is more fun.
+1, you have much more entertainment just staying in Manhattan alone.
      07-29-2007, 06:40 PM   #4
nmulax
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 M Coupe

Garage List
2007 Z4M Coupé  [7.66]
Both cities are great and have plenty to do, especially this time of year. Which one I prefer, really just depends on what I feel like doing, and who I'll be there with. For a weekend with the boys, I prefer NYC just because there are more, ummm options.

Tough to suggest things to do; since I've never done any of the tourist activities in NYC. Lived there for a summer, but have only been to Times Square for 10 minutes (that was enough for me), and never saw the Statue of Liberty or Central Park.

I would probably say Chicago, just because 2 days and 1 night isn't much time at all. NYC just has so much to do, that it'll be tough to pick what's most important to do/see.
In Chicago; go down to Navy Pier, take a walk through Millennium Park, enjoy a nice dinner, check out Blue Man Group if you've never seen them perform. The next day do some shopping on Michigan Ave., then hit Shedd Aquarium, Field Museum, or the Art Institute of Chicago.
      07-29-2007, 06:51 PM   #5
ages944
Captain
Poland
Rep
Drives: E90 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmulax View Post
Both cities are great and have plenty to do, especially this time of year. Which one I prefer, really just depends on what I feel like doing, and who I'll be there with. For a weekend with the boys, I prefer NYC just because there are more, ummm options.

Tough to suggest things to do; since I've never done any of the tourist activities in NYC. Lived there for a summer, but have only been to Times Square for 10 minutes (that was enough for me), and never saw the Statue of Liberty or Central Park.

I would probably say Chicago, just because 2 days and 1 night isn't much time at all. NYC just has so much to do, that it'll be tough to pick what's most important to do/see.
In Chicago; go down to Navy Pier, take a walk through Millennium Park, enjoy a nice dinner, check out Blue Man Group if you've never seen them perform. The next day do some shopping on Michigan Ave., then hit Shedd Aquarium, Field Museum, or the Art Institute of Chicago.

+1

... And throw in a walk along the lake.

Mods: Blacklines | Rear Seat Power Outlets | Rear Fog Lights | Ashtray Garage Door Opener
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2007, 08:29 PM   #6
Juggs
Bavarian Motor Werks Fanatic
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 325i sport

if romance in the air go chicago. if you want to be busier than hell, do NYC
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2007, 09:12 PM   #7
chicagolab
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 330i 2006 TiAg

There is tons to do in Chicago. One day spend downtown, ....river/lake cruise, Millenium Park, View from planetarium and hancock building(96th floor bar, one drink then exit), water tower, etc..

Get out of downtown and see the what I call the real Chicago, which is the neighborhoods. e.g. Lincoln Park, Lakeview(Wrigleyville), Andersonville, Bucktown, Wicker Park, Greektown, River North/west, South/west Loop and for a more cultural or ethnic experience drive through Little Italy, La Villita (Mexican), Humbolt Park (Puerto Rican), Chinatown.

The best part of the summer is often the street festivals, If your here the Weekend of Aug. 11th then there is street fest in Little Italy. If your here the weekend of the 18th your in great luck becuase the Air and Water show is in Chicago and is amazing, about 1 million (not exaggerating)come to the lakefront to watch this.

For something different see Kayakchicago.com and take a kayak ride on the river

One night, get tix to Second City and catch a comedy show.

If you need a car for a few hours or a day and want less of a hassle than renting, you can check this site out http://www.zipcar.com/how/

In NYC or Chicago visit the neighborhoods not just the typical tourist areas, one quick way to see these areas quickly (when you dont have time to explore and drive yourself all over) rent a limo for two hours and tell them to take you around the neighborhoods you want to see. Its the best way to have a quick personalized tour of a city.

E90 330i | Titanium Silver | Black/Aluminum | Step | Idrive | Sunshades | PDC | Heated Seats | M3 Lip | Roof Spoiler | Front Splitters | Lux 5.0 | Blacklines
Link to my European Delivery write up:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=143486
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2007, 09:13 PM   #8
F87LUV
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 M2, '23 GT4

Garage List
2023 Porsche GT4  [5.00]
2016 BMW M2  [8.66]
NYC... but Im biased.
      07-30-2007, 09:24 AM   #9
omg516
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 e90 335i

If you come to Chicago check out the architectural boat tour downtown, Chicago's architecture is amazing. Oh and if you want to see garbage thrown out on the front sidewalk every evening, go to NYC!
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2007, 09:44 AM   #10
GraphiteBrawler
Elton John Impersonator
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 LCI M3

NYC, You can come visit me!

If you want Romance, get reservations for The Boathouse in central park. Its not the best food in the world, by NYC standards, but for anywhere else it would be a 5 star restaurant. Its real appeal is being able to sit by the lake, its a great place for a date.
      07-30-2007, 10:29 AM   #11
BMXtreme
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E60 535i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
NYC, party party....I never did any partying...but that's what others generally does here in NYC
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2007, 11:00 AM   #12
billspreston
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G87

Chicago for sure. Go scalp some bleacher seats for a Cubs game!
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2007, 11:12 AM   #13
GraphiteBrawler
Elton John Impersonator
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 LCI M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMXtreme View Post
NYC, party party....I never did any partying...but that's what others generally does here in NYC
Dude, Hit up 212 on 65th, its not a club, but its a sweeeet bar.
      08-04-2007, 07:15 AM   #14
chicagolab
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 330i 2006 TiAg

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67bmer View Post
My wife will be in NY city next week and Chicago the week after. I have spent 1 day in NY and have never been outside of O'Hare.

Which would you choose?

What would you do in Chicago for 2 days/1 night?

What would you do in NY for 2 days/1 night?

Thanks
how was the trip?

E90 330i | Titanium Silver | Black/Aluminum | Step | Idrive | Sunshades | PDC | Heated Seats | M3 Lip | Roof Spoiler | Front Splitters | Lux 5.0 | Blacklines
Link to my European Delivery write up:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=143486
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2007, 06:51 PM   #15
67bmer
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 325is, e92 328i

I went to NY.

Got in about noon. I walked all around the north/central upto the reservoir in central park. Saw the fancy stores, Trump's buildings, etc. We took a bus night tour of the city.

We had the best Indian food on 245 w54th that I have had since I was in the Maldives. The chef was young and realy nice. He came out and talked to us about he meal. He gave us a great salad and the meals came with a lemon ice with mango sauce for desert. I had the Korma. It had a lot more mango taste to it than I am use to. After the initial shock, I realized how great it was.

Thursday I went to the statue of liberty and ellis island. Did not get back to Manhattan until 2:00. There is so much to see at EI, but I was by my self and was just tired and wanted to do something else. Went to wall st. Waste of time. Nothing to see and all blocked off. You have to make reservations 5 days in advance to tour the Federal Reserve. I picked the wrong place to have lunch. It took 20 min for a salad.

Went to a slot car place, Rockefeller center. Did not have enough time for the NBC/Rockefeller tour.

Dinner and back to Penn station and home.

Walked my but off. It was good for me though. Thursday was hot and humid, Wednesday was really nice, especially in the morning.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2007, 06:59 PM   #16
Jay_328
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 07 e92

Garage List
07 E92 328  [0.00]
great to hear you had a good time in NY however I suggest you keep Chicago on your list.
      08-05-2007, 02:01 PM   #17
Neurorad
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 340xi

You couldn't go wrong with either choice.

Next time, Chicago.

Good to hear it was a great trip.
Appreciate 0