BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

08-02-2007, 11:05 PM   #1
Deutsch
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

E-mailed a "letter" to Bimmer Magazine

I did this in response to a comment the editor made in the "Tech Q&A" section, in response to a person who wrote in expressing concern over the repercussions of buying a pre-owned BMW and the associated costs for maintenance, parts, and concern over reliability. The editor basically said the 4 yr/50k ml maintenance program was put in place as a marketing ploy to get more consumers to buy more BMW's, as well as to save BMW NA money. He also implied that Independent BMW mechanics will no longer be able to fulfill servicing and maitenance needs when it comes to electronic diagnosis and repair. Hopefully you've gotten the gist of what was said(if not you can pick up or read Bimmer issue #69), now here's the response I e-mailed the editor:

Quote:
Hi,

Reading in the Tech Q&A section in issue number 69, there was an individual that expressed concern over purchasing a pre-owned E46 330i. In response you stated that the reason why BMW initiated the no cost warranty program was to sell more cars and save money, and that these cars will not be able to run on original parts for over 200,000 mls. going by the BMW's recommended maintenance schedule. Reading this, and being a die hard BMW enthusiast I pondered the thought, and came to a a conclusion that perhaps you can elaborate on.
First, BMW puts it's cars through rigorous testing to ensure that they're as durable as possible and will last the duration of miles tested(which is more than any of these cars will probably ever see). I'm more than sure the recommended scheduled maintenance intervals were derived from observation and conclusion in testing during the development trials, and I'd think that the engineers would never recommend servicing intervals that the car couldn't handle in the long run(oil changes included). The maintenance schedule for NA market cars is more than likely no different from BMW cars sold elsewhere in the world, so I cannot imagine the free maintenance program as a cost saving measure for BMWNA. Could it be possible that maybe perhaps that BMW has engineered it's latest generation of cars to a standard we have yet to comprehend? Automotive technology has advanced to a whole another time and place, farther than it was ten, even five years ago.
Secondly, haven't independent garages updated their systems to cope with the advances in automotive technology to do electronic diagnosis and repairs of problems? If they haven't then they will surely lose business and a future.
I have yet to buy my first BMW, but am on the way there. I'm one of many that doesn't buy a car just to keep it for four years then swap it for something else. I buy cars to keep them for several years and run them into the ground, or at least as much as I can. Not to do so in a BMW just doesn't make sense, to me at least. BMW's have always come across as being very durable and well built cars, sure they're in need of special attention for servicing, maintenance, and repairs, but that doesn't make them cars that won't last well into 200k+ mls?

Thank you for giving us such a great magazine and invaluable information!

Sincerely,

-blah blah blah and blah blah blah
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2007, 06:24 PM   #2
Deutsch
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Here's the reply I got this morning:

Quote:
Another element of BMW's "lifetime fill" oils and eliminated maintenance is that governments in the U.S. and Europe are pressuring car manufacturers to produce less liquid and solid waste during maintenance.

But there is really no question that free scheduled maintenance and the demise of maintenance in general was originally the result of marketing -- BMW basically said so back in the 1990s when free scheduled maintenance debuted. It was part of a marketing effort to counter the widely (and correctly) held perception that BMWs are high-maintenance cars. In fact, they still are -- they just don't get maintained anymore unless the owner takes control of the situation. Anything can be maintenance free -- just don't maintain it. Then it when it fails, buy a new one. In fact, this is a fairly universal concept in our society.

The cost-cutting component flows from the fact that BMW eliminated most scheduled maintenance as soon as they started paying for it during the warranty period.

New BMW models are tested extensively, albeit not as extensively as they used to be due to vastly increased pressure to get the cars into production ahead of other manufacturers. However, I disagree that the testing paradigm today is to ensure the cars are as durable as possible. I think the new service life paradigm -- and therefore the testing paradigm -- is to ensure the cars do not suffer major drivetrain failures within the longest possible factory warranty period, which is 100,000 miles. For the most part, BMW has succeeded in this goal. While there is no shortage of BMWs with broken automatic transmissions (resulting from failure to change ATF and filter) within the first 100,000 miles, most of these cars are covered by a four-year/50,000-mile warranty rather than the six-year/100,000-mile warranty of the 6 and 7 Series and the CPO program. Moreover, I have never seen a BMW with a six-year/100,000-mile warranty go out of warranty on the basis of mileage. I'm sure it happens, but I've never seen it. Note the CPO warranty time component starts not when you buy the car but when the car was first placed in service. Anyway, I digress...

Current generation BMW longevity is anyone's guess because the cars are simply too new. However, BMW's current scant maintenance schedule has been with us since 1998 and it's affect on the long-term durability of the E36 3 Series and early E39 5 Series is starting to become apparent with worn out drivetrain components between 100,000 and 200,000 miles. It's an anachronism destined for the dustbin of history, but when BMWs got driveline oil changes every 30,000 miles, manual gearboxes and differentials almost never wore out, ever.

I have seen no quantum leap in technology that is going to change all this, and in fact if you look at a disassembled E90 3 Series differential it's obvious that it is far inferior from a durability standpoint to earlier differentials. The pinion bearing and oil capacity, in fact, has grown steadily smaller in each differential since the E30 3 Series. With the E90, BMW went from a far superior tapered roller bearing to an old fashioned ball bearing on the differential pinion -- and if that wasn't bad enough, they put it in a plastic bearing cage! And they eliminated the drain plug, so you can even fully drain the 0.25 quart of oil! (Even if you maintain the new diffs, many technicians think that plastic bearing cage is going to break anyway.) The quantum leaps in technology are devoted to making the drivetrain components lighter, not more durable, and in the process of lightening durability is often compromised as in the case of manual gearboxes and differentials.

Modern synthetic lubricants are, of course, excellent. But no lubricant is good forever, or a "lifetime."

Independent BMW shops are fully entitled to purchase the BMW GT-1 Service Computer (which is currently being replaced with another mega-expensive service computer), along with the Internet service that goes with it. Cost is $25,000 for the computer and $2,000 per year for online access. In fact, many of them have. They have banded together to form a professional organization: The International Association of Independent BMW Service Professionals (www.bimrs.org).

Without the factory supported diagnostic equipment, regular maintenance and repairs are still possible on the cars, but electronic diagnosis is iffy even with good aftermarket diagnostic equipment.

Finally, the solution for folks who want to buy a new BMW and keep it past the warranty period is to maintain the car pursuant to the old maintenance schedule and pay for it yourselves. That's what I do with my 2005 Dinan S2-325Ci. See attached old school maintenance schedule.
Best regards,
Bimmer Magazine Tech Q&A

Guess who won't be buying a BMW anytime soon.... yeh.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2007, 07:05 PM   #3
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '97 332ti, '21 X5 45e, '16 GT4

I don't get your point? Are you on the "off again" swing today, from your "on again" to "off again" to "on again" pendulum?

If you buy a "used BMW" and get a CPO with 100k miles of coverage. You'll have saved thousands in maintenance by the time you get there. As far as oil services go, to offset the 15k mile intervals, oil changes are cheap. If you can't afford to do 7k mile interval changes, you might want to look elsewhere (again). If you drive 15k miles a year, you'll have to 1 oil change yourself a year, which is $30. Whoop-de-fricken-do.

Of course, you could bring it to a mechanic, if you're inept with the most basic of maintenance, and pay $50 per year. Again, what's the problem? The rest of things that break are all covered.

However, if you are worried about 6 years from the day you purchased it when some fictitious thing goes awry, you will be driving a $10k car anyway. What do you want?

I don't understand how getting YEARS of free service is looked at in a negative sense. It's like getting a free drinks at your favorite bar and complaining because one not quite filled to the brim.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2007, 07:34 PM   #4
dieselchas
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

You better believe I will changing my 135's oil at 500 mi then every 3000 after that. Of course I will let BMW change it free at 15k, but basic logic and years doing things the same way will keep me changing every 3000. Small price to pay for additional piece of mind. The only area I wonder about with new cars is the electronics. Once out of warranty, some random chip/ board failure could cost a pretty penny.
      08-03-2007, 07:42 PM   #5
Deutsch
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryn View Post
I don't get your point? Are you on the "off again" swing today, from your "on again" to "off again" to "on again" pendulum?

If you buy a "used BMW" and get a CPO with 100k miles of coverage. You'll have saved thousands in maintenance by the time you get there. As far as oil services go, to offset the 15k mile intervals, oil changes are cheap. If you can't afford to do 7k mile interval changes, you might want to look elsewhere (again). If you drive 15k miles a year, you'll have to 1 oil change yourself a year, which is $30. Whoop-de-fricken-do.

Of course, you could bring it to a mechanic, if you're inept with the most basic of maintenance, and pay $50 per year. Again, what's the problem? The rest of things that break are all covered.

However, if you are worried about 6 years from the day you purchased it when some fictitious thing goes awry, you will be driving a $10k car anyway. What do you want?

I don't understand how getting YEARS of free service is looked at in a negative sense. It's like getting a free drinks at your favorite bar and complaining because one not quite filled to the brim.
If you want to get bent out of shape about me simply sharing some info I've picked up and thought I'd pass along, be my guest. "On /Off" again, you're damn right about that, I'm putting my hard earned money into something I want, and I have every right in the freak'n world to change my got damn mind any flip'n time I want.:headbang: Sorry if I think long and hard about where I put my money, since it matters quite a bit to me. :biggrin:
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2007, 09:19 PM   #6
ibeam81
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 EBII M235i, 2004 Acura TL

Thanks for sharing Deutsch. Although I don't consider it good news, it was very enlightening and does put some things regarding maintenance in perspective.

It also makes you think twice about keeping a 135i for 10 or more years.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2007, 09:47 PM   #7
Deutsch
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

My position is this: As was said above, when I drive a car, I drive for keeps. Meaning I plan on driving a car to the fullest extent, for many many years, and buying from a premium make I expect the car to be rock solid from a durability standpoint. I seriously thought BMW did extensive testing and used the highest grade materials for construction, but that appears to be a misnomer. I want to drive my car knowing that it was built to stand the test of time and can go at least 250k w/ out worry. I'm disappointed to learn BMW builds it's cars to a cost instead of to the best of their ability. No doubt, they build cars that ooze quality to the eye, and are a hoot to drive, but I'm not willing to drive a car that's developed to last just 100k mls, makes sense for someone who wants to swap cars every four years, but I'm not the trendy type. Think I'll be better served by Audi/VW, and yes I'm willing to sacrifice some driving fun to get something that's more durable and built to last(something that's always been true of VWAG products).
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2007, 09:51 PM   #8
atr_hugo
No longer moderate
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '13 135i

The one thing mentioned that bothers me is a diff w/o a drain plug - don't like that. Have to get out a drill and a tap. ; -)
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2007, 10:00 PM   #9
ibeam81
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 EBII M235i, 2004 Acura TL

Or go for an older BMW that was built to last for more than 100K mi. Depending how things shake out with the 135i, I might end up resurrecting my quest for E30 325is.

I'm really not liking the throw-away economy that the world seems to be totally embracing. I understand throw-away cell phones that come free with a plan, but I don't get a high-end DVD player that last a couple of years or a car that is engineered to not last beyond 100K mi. Actually I do get it from an accounting perspective... it's about planned obsolescence and minimizing costs, but I don't like it. :mad:
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2007, 10:19 PM   #10
Deutsch
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibeam81 View Post
Or go for an older BMW that was built to last for more than 100K mi. Depending how things shake out with the 135i, I might end up resurrecting my quest for E30 325is.

I'm really not liking the throw-away economy that the world seems to be totally embracing. I understand throw-away cell phones that come free with a plan, but I don't get a high-end DVD player that last a couple of years or a car that is engineered to not last beyond 100K mi. Actually I do get it from an accounting perspective... it's about planned obsolescence and minimizing costs, but I don't like it. :mad:
Neither do I. However, fact is we live in a society that's gluttonous, to such a point that it's sickening. I can't even watch normal television anymore because it's so polluted with (fill in the blank). Need I say more? To the point, automotive shoppers in the premium sector have been trained to use high end cars for as much as their worth in their state of "newness", and after a few years when it's no longer "it" or "whats in", then it becomes garbage all of the sudden and manufactures keep indulging consumer demands. I think someone needs to hold the line and do what they do to the best of their ability and allow those who want to accept their cars for what they are, accept them. That's the only real way automakers are going to be able to concentrate on making solid, durable, long lasting automobiles. Otherwise the majority of us who buy a car for keeps are going to have to shop elsewhere, being that we're the ones getting the short end of the stick. If I had it my way cars would have a 10 year life cycle as oppose to 7, but who am I? Just a die hard car enthusiast who wants German performance and handling in a package that's built to last and minimize problems.
Appreciate 0