BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

06-19-2018, 05:42 PM   #45
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep
Drives: F01 & F15 / Mineral White

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fender150 View Post
what is that awesome couch?
Thanks! Here you can select colors and configuration. We went with the entire 6 pieces. It is beyond comfortable! The reviews speak for themselves.

https://www.zgallerie.com/t-cloud-mo...onal-sofa.aspx
      06-19-2018, 05:45 PM   #46
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg View Post
that actually looks great! I was on the fence between couches or the traditional home theater seating?
Initially when our house was being built, Theater Seating was my top choice with sofas being next. But after trying out several seating configurations and taking overall ability to sit or lay down in, we went this route. My understanding is that traditional theater seating sales are down considerably from just a few years ago.
      06-20-2018, 12:25 PM   #47
hooligan_G01
Space Shuttle Door Gunner
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 M40i BG/Taco Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seraphim38 View Post
Celestion is one of the largest manufacturers of drivers in the world. They build KEF speakers (Parent company factory is called Gold Peak).

They build drivers for many professional audio OEM companies, and guitar amplifier/cabinet manufacturers. They are easily in the top 5 in the world, currently.
I love our KEF speakers!
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2018, 02:28 PM   #48
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan_clt View Post
I love our KEF speakers!
KEF's Uni-Q drivers were unique and cutting edge.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2018, 04:29 PM   #49
NCThreePedals
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 981 GT4/Audi Q8/F15 Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXSTYLE View Post
After 4 months... Our furniture finally arrived today!

I have wanted to cancel on more than one occasion for the delay. But my wife insisted we wait it out. I am glad we did. It is truly among the best made furniture (Italy) and the fact that it is modular, makes it very versatile. It will seat six adults.
Neither of us wanted the traditional theater seating. We can actually crash & sleep comfortably on this.
The Cloud Modular Sectional from Z Gallerie in grey.
https://www.zgallerie.com/t-cloud-mo...onal-sofa.aspx

What's up with the speakers to the sides of the projector? That won't give you proper imaging at all for Atmos, you should've followed the Dolby Labs rules and measurements to get the speakers properly placed.

Looks like your surrounds are at the wrong place as well, they need to be as close as possible to the middle of the room and should NOT be in-ceilings.

Plus you say you have a 7.1.4 but I didn't see a center channel nor any back speakers.

Last edited by NCThreePedals; 06-20-2018 at 04:36 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2018, 04:50 PM   #50
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCThreePedals View Post
What's up with the speakers to the sides of the projector? That won't give you proper imaging at all for Atmos, you should've followed the Dolby Labs rules and measurements to get the speakers properly placed.

Looks like your surrounds are at the wrong place as well, they need to be as close as possible to the middle of the room and should NOT be in-ceilings.

Plus you say you have a 7.1.4 but I didn't see a center channel nor any back speakers.
People have to make compromises with their A/V rooms all the time. Not many people have the luxury of building out a room from the ground up/wall-ceiling studs out.

As far as Atmos, I heard an Atmos system at a friend's place who's husband owns a very well known audio company. I'll leave this info out to protect their privacy. But frankly, I'm not all that impressed with the Atmos hype. I find my "lowly" 5.2 system still more enjoyable sound quality wise and musicality wise.
Appreciate 2
TXSTYLE13770.50
wrickem2101.00
      06-20-2018, 05:39 PM   #51
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
People have to make compromises with their A/V rooms all the time. Not many people have the luxury of building out a room from the ground up/wall-ceiling studs out.

As far as Atmos, I heard an Atmos system at a friend's place who's husband owns a very well known audio company. I'll leave this info out to protect their privacy. But frankly, I'm not all that impressed with the Atmos hype. I find my "lowly" 5.2 system still more enjoyable sound quality wise and musicality wise.
Exactly. To each his own.
      06-20-2018, 06:15 PM   #52
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep

Lightbulb

Quote:

Thanks for the input.

The very first thing and all YOU need to know; myself, my family and the many friends and family that have visited, seen and heard our system are beyond impressed! That is really all that needs to be said to your comments and opinion honestly.

My setup consists of 2 L & R front spkrs - 1 Center Chnl - 2 side overhead/in ceiling mount surround spkrs - 2 rear overhead/in ceiling mount spkrs and 2 subs. I choose not to have floor standing speakers for any surround for aesthetics. And trust me, my ears don't miss them at all. So if I mis-named my setup, oh well. The "surround effect" is quite pronounced. Overall sound quality from my receiver and speakers are outstanding!

However, since you want to critique, feel free to start a new thread showcasing your own Home Theater? But I won't be offended if you want to post some pics here instead...
      06-20-2018, 06:35 PM   #53
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the input.

The very first thing and all YOU need to know; myself, my family and the many friends and family that have visited, seen and heard our system are beyond impressed! That is really all that needs to be said to your comments and opinion honestly.

My setup consists of 2 L & R front spkrs - 1 Center Chnl - 2 side overhead/in ceiling mount surround spkrs - 2 rear overhead/in ceiling mount spkrs and 2 subs. I choose not to have floor standing speakers for any surround for aesthetics. And trust me, my ears don't miss them at all. So if I mis-named my setup, oh well. The "surround effect" is quite pronounced. Overall sound quality from my receiver and speakers are outstanding!

However, since you want to critique, feel free to start a new thread showcasing your own Home Theater? But I won't be offended if you want to post some pics here instead...
As long as you're happy with the system, that's all that really matters. There are those that beat up on people with Bose systems. But as long as these people are happy, who are we to say. I personally have other criteria that would steer me away from products like Bose.

Where I get into it with people are those that pay 5 figures for their speakers, post pictures of their "top" notch system on Internet forums, and expect everyone to go oohh and ahhh over it. These people get all bent out of shape when I tell them they've wasted their money because the speakers have crappy placement and the room isn't set up anywhere near well enough to even warrant speakers of that level.

I had the luxury of building out my own room from nothing to where it is now. Even I had to make compromises. I could have done double drywall with two different thicknesses along with floating them on runners installed of screwing them directly into the studs. I could have boxed in all the recessed lights in the room. I could have limited the number of doors to the room. But, I had to make compromises. In the end, the acoustics in my room are still top notch and haven't created any urgency for me to change anything in the 8 years or so since I've completed the room. The only thing I did recently was to move my turntable from my 2 channel system to the dedicated room and replacing the Meridian 568.2MM surround processor with a Meridian G65 due to the 568.2MM's high resolution input board going bad; ended up repairing it any ways.
Appreciate 1
TXSTYLE13770.50
      06-20-2018, 07:10 PM   #54
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep

Thumbs up

Quote:
As long as you're happy with the system, that's all that really matters. There are those that beat up on people with Bose systems. But as long as these people are happy, who are we to say. I personally have other criteria that would steer me away from products like Bose.

Where I get into it with people are those that pay 5 figures for their speakers, post pictures of their "top" notch system on Internet forums, and expect everyone to go oohh and ahhh over it. These people get all bent out of shape when I tell them they've wasted their money because the speakers have crappy placement and the room isn't set up anywhere near well enough to even warrant speakers of that level.

I had the luxury of building out my own room from nothing to where it is now. Even I had to make compromises. I could have done double drywall with two different thicknesses along with floating them on runners installed of screwing them directly into the studs. I could have boxed in all the recessed lights in the room. I could have limited the number of doors to the room. But, I had to make compromises. In the end, the acoustics in my room are still top notch and haven't created any urgency for me to change anything in the 8 years or so since I've completed the room. The only thing I did recently was to move my turntable from my 2 channel system to the dedicated room and replacing the Meridian 568.2MM surround processor with a Meridian G65 due to the 568.2MM's high resolution input board going bad; ended up repairing it any ways.
Very well said my friend. And really spot on. Do I have the "greatest most expensive HT setup of all time"? Nope. Not even close. Do I have a "Dream Come True" for me and my family for our needs? Absolutely! And praise God for giving me the means to do so. Be Happy with what you have. I've been on forums for soooo many years and I have seen and read it all LOL! But some way, some how, there is ALWAYS that "one guy".
But when people begin to realize that it takes waaaay more character to give a compliment than to talk shit, then they truly "get it".

Speaking of 'turntables', my best friend is a DJ and he has a pair of prestine Technics SL-1210MK5 and to this day and age of "digital sound" Nothing sounds as rewarding to the ears as a pristine album/vinyl playing through some nice 3-way speakers:

Fleetwood Mac
Doobie Brothers
Earth Wind & Fire
etc.
wrickem2101.00
      06-20-2018, 09:27 PM   #55
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Very well said my friend. And really spot on. Do I have the "greatest most expensive HT setup of all time"? Nope. Not even close. Do I have a "Dream Come True" for me and my family for our needs? Absolutely! And praise God for giving me the means to do so. Be Happy with what you have. I've been on forums for soooo many years and I have seen and read it all LOL! But some way, some how, there is ALWAYS that "one guy".
But when people begin to realize that it takes waaaay more character to give a compliment than to talk shit, then they truly "get it".

Speaking of 'turntables', my best friend is a DJ and he has a pair of prestine Technics SL-1210MK5 and to this day and age of "digital sound" Nothing sounds as rewarding to the ears as a pristine album/vinyl playing through some nice 3-way speakers:

Fleetwood Mac
Doobie Brothers
Earth Wind & Fire
etc.
It's been really great following how your HT has come together. I'm happy you're pleased with the final result. If you're like me, it'll be hard to shake off upgrade-itis. It didn't help my situation where the retailers I shop have a 1 year trade up program on many of the products they sell. But somehow I got to the point where I didn't have the urge to upgrade anymore. it's a wonderful feeling.

And it's great to run into another vinyl aficionado. I go back to the days of the Technics SL1200MKIIs. Those Technics tables are rock solid performers. I never ended up one as I was a poor college student and then had to struggle with life after college.

But I finally got my vinyl setup done.

VPI HW19 Jr with Mark III platter upgrade
Audioquest PT9 tone arm
Sumiko Blue Point Special EVO III
Vincent Audio PHO-700 vacuum tube phono preamp

Name:  20180620_221518.jpg
Views: 2168
Size:  81.8 KB
Appreciate 1
TXSTYLE13770.50
      06-20-2018, 10:19 PM   #56
ShopVac
Not willing to take advice
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 - 6MT

Garage List
Quote:

But I finally got my vinyl setup done.

VPI HW19 Jr with Mark III platter upgrade
Audioquest PT9 tone arm
Sumiko Blue Point Special EVO III
Vincent Audio PHO-700 vacuum tube phono preamp

Attachment 1847405
My mom still owns a record store. Appreciate those still in to vinyl
Appreciate 3
zx10guy5149.50
wdb4695.50
TXSTYLE13770.50
      06-21-2018, 11:02 AM   #57
NCThreePedals
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the input.

Well yeah I've seen people impressed with the $500 home theater in a box as well but I'm glad it's working out for you, I wasn't trying to be a dick more of puzzled since you mentioned you did so much research and ended up positioning things that way. You could've done pivoting tweeter in-ceilings on the slope of your ceiling and placed them properly and done in-wall or on-wall surrounds and then the spacing and effects will be much more accurate.

I like the way your room looks aesthetically and Klipsch are fantastic speakers for a movie scenario since they're quick, dynamic, and show a lot of the micro details that once seeks in a movie scenario.

I like the low blow there expecting me to not have a home theater but on the contrary,

I have a 5.2.4 Atmos system consisting of:

Equipment: Aerial Acoustics 6T left and right
Aerial Acoustics 7CC center
2 MartinLogan FX2 sides being replaced by Aerial SR3 sides
4 Goldenear HTR-7000 (in-ceiling Atmos fronts and rears)
2 JL Audio E112
Anthem AVM 60 (processor)
Theta Digital intrepid 5ch amp
2 Linn LK85 2 channel amps for Atmos (all channels independently powered)
Sony 385ES 4K HDR projector
Screen innovations 110” fixed screen 1.3 gain

Acoustical treatment on the way.

Sources: Xbox one X Nintendo Switch PS4 Pro Directv Apple TV 4K

Last edited by NCThreePedals; 06-21-2018 at 11:07 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2018, 11:12 AM   #58
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep

Nothing "backfired". You took some time, gathered your words/thoughts, took photos and posted a response. Good for you.
Again, it's all about "how you say" not "what you say".

Cheers to all of the audio & videophiles!
      06-21-2018, 12:39 PM   #59
JamesWWIII
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 440i Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Only three chairs?

Not that many friends, huh?
Appreciate 1
TXSTYLE13770.50
      06-21-2018, 12:47 PM   #60
ShopVac
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Went a little different on my rebuild here...

Went with the OLED LG E7 for the TV
BIC Acoustech 7.1 speakers
Onkyo NR777 surround system

Already had the 4 seat theater seating...and of course, the bar. My funds were a little less to go with the Klipsch route...BIC is fine for my needs.

Think in going to redo the floor next, is only been 7 years, but looks like butt now. Dogs are a tear...

Want to do a new stand too...I think my daughter is going to take the wii systems with her, leaving just the xbox.
Attached Images

Last edited by ShopVac; 06-21-2018 at 01:02 PM..
Appreciate 2
TXSTYLE13770.50
Bingham276.00
      06-21-2018, 01:44 PM   #61
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShopVac View Post
Went a little different on my rebuild here...

Went with the OLED LG E7 for the TV
BIC Acoustech 7.1 speakers
Onkyo NR777 surround system

Already had the 4 seat theater seating...and of course, the bar. My funds were a little less to go with the Klipsch route...BIC is fine for my needs.

Think in going to redo the floor next, is only been 7 years, but looks like butt now. Dogs are a tear...

Want to do a new stand too...I think my daughter is going to take the wii systems with her, leaving just the xbox.
One of my subs is a BIC and it pounds! The brand is very well reviewed too. Nicely done! I'm all about my Bar setup as well. Although I have to step out of the theater to mix a drink.
      06-21-2018, 01:57 PM   #62
ShopVac
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Although I have to step out of the theater to mix a drink.
Sounds like a first world problem, right there!

For the price of BIC, it was worth the try. IIRC, I negotiated the price to $1700 shipped. Comparable Klipsch would have been over 5 grand. Need to pick and choose the battles with the wife, you know.

Last edited by ShopVac; 06-21-2018 at 02:31 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2018, 02:53 PM   #63
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep
Drives: All of them

Garage List
Very nice! Mine is much more modest. With the amount you've spent, for a small amount more, I'd add an Nvidia Shield.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2018, 03:55 PM   #64
NCThreePedals
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesWWIII View Post
Only three chairs?

Not that many friends, huh?
Moved to a new town, have two bean bags coming and stools with a high top behind the first row. Just the wife and I for now. People don't mind sitting on the ground when they get to experience a room like mine.

Just a 440 huh? Couldn't get the real deal, sorry your funds did not allow!
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2018, 04:03 PM   #65
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShopVac View Post
Sounds like a first world problem, right there!

With a stash like yours at your bar, I'm surprised you're not more active here:
http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1221304

06-21-2018, 04:05 PM   #66
JamesWWIII
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 440i Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Moved to a new town, have two bean bags coming and stools with a high top behind the first row. Just the wife and I for now. People don't mind sitting on the ground when they get to experience a room like mine.

Just a 440 huh? Couldn't get the real deal, sorry your funds did not allow!
Aw, must've struck a nerve with Mr. My-Theater-Is-Better-Than-Yours.

Making your guests sit on the floor is pretty ghetto, I don't care how nice the video and sound are. Stools? Yes, that's definitely the way I like to spend 2 hours sitting while I watch a movie. Very classy. Will you provide snacks for your guests, or do they have to bring their own?

I could have bought any car on the Hendrick BMW lot, I chose what I chose for reasons other than available funds. If my ownership experience with my first BMW is a good one, rest assured that my next will be an M car. Happy?
Appreciate 1
TXSTYLE13770.50