BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

07-31-2007, 02:52 PM   #45
Brunotheboxer
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Shelby GT500.

i believe that blu-ray will win the war but if you dont want to take the plunge right now pick up one of these bad boys. oppo dv-981 hd.
Attached Images

"...I maybe drunk, but you're ugly, and I can sober up..."
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2007, 03:47 PM   #46
achien
AC
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 Post Members Crazy

Look into history, VHS vs. Beta...

Who won???
      08-01-2007, 02:33 AM   #47
sinnet112
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E89 Z4

Garage List
So whatever happened to UMD (Sony's last format...)

Z4 sdrive30i | Deep Sea Blue | Ivory White Nappa Extended Leather | ZSP
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2007, 12:05 PM   #48
bartman32
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87 M2

Garage List
2017 M2  [0.00]
True Sony doesn't have a great recent history. However they do have a lot of good history too. See Walkman and DVD. Yes, they didn't make the DVD but they did make it readily available to the masses with the introduction of the Playstation. That's what really set DVD's off. Which is also why they put the Blu-Ray into PS3.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2007, 12:51 PM   #49
cntlaw
Major General
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: 330i E90 C55 AMG

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by CnoteMD View Post
Everything I've read suggests that Blu-Ray has higher capacity discs, higher video resolution, and is ultimately the better technology. Though, I am waiting until there is a clear winner before I start buying new equipment. Even though I was young at the time, this reminds me of VHS vs. Betamax.
In theory, a blu-ray has a higher storage capacity, and on paper, the bitrate is higher than HD-DVD as well. However, the determining factor is based on many things such as encoding methods. The basic for both discs are Mpeg2(a different spec than a DVD's mpeg2, then there are H.264 (as proposed by APPLE), Mpeg4, VC-1 (a variation of Mpeg4). Both disc formats are capable to handle all these encodings.

Most HD-DVD are VC-1 encoding, only the newer Blu-ray are VC-1 encoding.
Because Blu-ray is supported by many movie houses, there are big variations.
All of these encoding formats have just appeared in a short while and maybe there are some new ones coming too. There is no regulation on which encoding to use. Initially, HD-DVD with VC-1 encoding seems to be better quality over blu-ray using Mpeg2 encoding.

Now, only 1 movie house is strictly keen on HD-DVD; and 2 others issuing HD-DVD along with blu-ray version. HD-DVD is more "control" in one way.
As Sony owns Columbia picture, you just look at who has the most hit movie in recent years - Columbia. They will only issue Blu-ray. If they take the large piece of pie, other movie houses (who don't make electronic goods like Sony) will eventually give way to Blu-ray (Thanks to the PS/3)

Now, just within 1 year, the fight has been settled, only Universal is issuing HD-DVD-only movie. Paramount used to be a HD-DVD only issuer but now they are issuing both formats.

The winner is clear - Blue-Ray.

( above information were gathered after a discussion with Dr. RikuE90 )
BMW 2006 330i E90 Jet Black/Black Leathers/Aluminium, Steptronic Active Steering; MTech Aero Kit Carbon Fibre Splitters/Diffuser. Bilstein PSS9 Coilover, Rays VOLK Racing RE30 Formula Limited Edition 18" Pirelli Rosso; Project Mu 355mm Forged 4pot Caliper. HID:Osram D1S 6000K, PIAA 6500K White Ring, Philips Diamond Vision HB4 5000K, PIAA H490/H491 Super Bright 6500K LED Interior Lights. Chrome S.Wheel Cover, Rear Windows Sunshades.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2007, 01:11 PM   #50
phantom330
Captain
Rep
Drives: e93 335i

I have a 1080p Samsung that I recently got, and have a PS3, tried a few blu ray movies, they look good, don't get me wrong, but I don't see all the fuss. If i had a standard DVD playing on the TV and this one I'd be hard pressed to really tell a difference.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2007, 02:05 PM   #51
Gort
Klaatu Barada Nikto
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2017 X3-35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartman32 View Post
True Sony doesn't have a great recent history. However they do have a lot of good history too. See Walkman and DVD. Yes, they didn't make the DVD but they did make it readily available to the masses with the introduction of the Playstation. That's what really set DVD's off. Which is also why they put the Blu-Ray into PS3.
I think that the credit for DVD goes to Toshiba and then to Phillips for taking it into home player units.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2007, 02:20 PM   #52
Vegas_Sirk
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 JKU Wrangler

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 335viaSTi View Post
Only because I have a PS3 am I biased to Blu-Ray. That being said, Blockbuster, Target, many if not all major motion picture studios (including Disney) all side with Blu-Ray. The discs cost more to produce, and will cost a bit more in the end, but they will hold more and I believe will win out over HD DVD. Just my 2 cents.
Im in the same boat ....

Have PS3 ... have a 62" Tv that supports 1080P ... its awesome. Blue Ray FTW
________
Starcraft 2 replays
________
Extreme Q
________
BMW M06
________
Bong Bowl
________
2SEXYLUSTYGALS

Last edited by Vegas_Sirk; 09-19-2011 at 09:34 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2007, 04:56 PM   #53
bartman32
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87 M2

Garage List
2017 M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gort View Post
I think that the credit for DVD goes to Toshiba and then to Phillips for taking it into home player units.
Oh don't get me wrong. Sony didn't do anything special to get DVD going in a format although they were on the DVD board but they did make it mainstream. Yes Toshiba and Phillips might have started it but Playstation really gets the credit for making it mainstream.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2007, 04:18 PM   #54
bunman
wong-pay-fu
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: AWZ4

I believe it comes to support with studios and retailers.
See the studio comparsion:

Blu-ray support
Paramount
Warner Bros.
Disney (Buena Vista)
Fox
Lionsgate
MGM
Sony Pictures

HD-DVD support
Paramount
Warner Bros.
Universal Studios

I know some ppl may think bout the bitrate/quality, encoding methods, but the majority of consumers are not tech savy and could care less. They will just follow the market. With Blockbuster and Target going BR, you will see more consumers favoring BR because of accessiblity and the amount of movies that are BR exclusive, ie. Spiderman, Pirates. Eventually, Blu ray will win.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2007, 08:50 PM   #55
Gripster
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E93 M3

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bartman32 View Post
Oh don't get me wrong. Sony didn't do anything special to get DVD going in a format although they were on the DVD board but they did make it mainstream. Yes Toshiba and Phillips might have started it but Playstation really gets the credit for making it mainstream.
This is especially true for Japan, where a healthy VCD market prevented DVD getting a foothold, but may be not so much in other regions. DVD players in the US and EU were around $150 by the time PS2 launched.
      08-04-2007, 07:28 AM   #56
Weaselboy
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 M340i

My takeon it is this will end up being all about the marketing, not about which technology is better.

So far... I would say Blu-Ray is winning the battle.

Blockbuster going to only Blu-Ray was I think the beginnning of the end for HD-DVD. Noticed my locally owned video store last week started renting Blu-Ray also.

Anybody ever listen to the HT Guys podcast?

feed://feeds.feedburner.com/HdtvPodcast

They both mentioned on a recent show they think Blu-Ray is winning and one of the reasons may be the name. Blu-Ray does sound more like a brand name than HD-DVD.
Appreciate 0