BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Health, Fitness, Martial Arts, and Nutrition

12-06-2017, 09:57 AM   #1
Lillian Terry
Banned
Rep
Drives: Lancer 2000

Acupuncture for depression

I would like to try a natural treatment for my depression. I have been diagnosed two years ago and I want to decrease my medications. I don't like the idea of relying on drugs to help me in this ordeal. Is acupuncture a good choice?
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2017, 10:37 AM   #2
kprocivic
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: ecoboost s to the t

Never dealt with acupuncture, have dealt with a girlfriend diagnosed with depression. It is serious and I hope you are able to get the help you want through whatever means. Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2017, 10:49 AM   #3
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

My friend uses acupuncture for I think back pain or it could be hip pain...
His wife is a neurologist (MD) don't know what her feelings are on acupuncture - but it seems she hasn't precluded him from using it.

He did say that he gets different results from different acupuncturist.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2017, 05:41 AM   #4
anvilromp
Rep
Drives: E26 M1

have tried acupuncture once but didn't know it could treat depression.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2017, 08:02 AM   #5
radiofrequency
Field Marshall
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 ZCP, 2021 M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillian Terry View Post
I would like to try a natural treatment for my depression. I have been diagnosed two years ago and I want to decrease my medications. I don't like the idea of relying on drugs to help me in this ordeal. Is acupuncture a good choice?
I am sorry to hear about your depression. I have used Acupuncture to treat severe blunt trauma injury. I was a competitive athlete in my youth, and a soldier for 10+ years, many of the injuries I suffered came back to haunt me as I got older. Please note that I am not attempting to provide you with medical advice, but merely responding to your post.

After a severe bicycle related accident in 2012, my neurosurgeon recommended a cervical fusion (neck). Understanding the complexities of this type of surgery (based upon my profession), and the recovery period, with the associated dangers of incurring chronic pain for the rest of my life, I decided against the fusion.

Basically, I changed everything in my life, as I was severely depressed, and I truly understand just how difficult it is to pull yourself out of that very dark place, so I empathize with you. With respect to my neck pain, I started seeing an Acupuncturist, 1 to 2 times a week. I can state objectively, that it helped me. Here's the strange part, my depression slowly lifted over a period of many months. Can I attribute this solely to the acupuncture? Probably not, as during this period I decided to change everything in my life except for my job.

Acupuncture is not painful at all, and a side effect is that you are forced to lie still during the treatment. My Acupuncturist has a very simple and basic office, the treatment area is in semi darkness and very quiet. This environment allowed me to fully relax, something I had a great deal of difficulty with at the time (and still do). It was so peaceful and the feeling of being "refreshed" upon departing was something new and wonderful for me. I dismissed it during the first few visits as placebo, but it slowly dawned on me that this was a side effect of the therapy. Read more here: https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog...ion-yes-please

I also learned during this period that really only 20% of the work required to overcome depression is done in the Therapist's office, I had to do 80% of the work at home. This is when I decided to change everything. I started with diet and decided on a "lifestyle diet - No Sugar, No Grains or NSNG (Google it). I changed my training regimen, I had stopped working out completely, this from a competitive triathlete, Ironman competitor etc, etc... I also did the work on my mental state at home, this is where it becomes tricky, this is very, very hard to accomplish. In the USA, patients want a pill to fix problems, and IMHO, working with a Therapist and my Internal Medicine Physician, both very caring, smart and thoughtful people, we decided against meds. This is a personal choice, I am not trying to advise you, but if you spend time on the literature, meds are not the way to go to accomplish life-long mental health.

During the work, I stumbled on Brooke Castillo and follow her. What does Brooke do? She is a Life Coach and she really gets to the core of what we can control, and all we can really control are our thoughts - if you have 25 minutes listen to this: https://thelifecoachschool.com/1/ This changed my life, as, fundamentally, I realized that the thoughts creating my depression were something I could change. She has a unique approach, her Podcasts are free, and also available on iTunes.

Why am I sharing this with you? I've seen others suffer from depression for years, stuck in the cycle of meds and therapy, with their lives on hold, so if I am able to share relevant information to help others, I will. Will these formulas work for you, I don't know. What is relevant is that Acupuncture started it all for me, I was able to be in a relaxing and peaceful place, away from work, children, spouse and the rigors and stresses of daily life. It also felt great afterwards, a mental lift if you will think of it that way. It was the catalyst that moved me toward the "work". I say this as you will need several tools in your toolbox to beat this, not just one thing, for me the one I reach for the most is acupuncture, then the daily work using Brooke's formula, then the NSNG lifestyle diet combined with intermittent fasting, and adaptive physical training using Touchfit (https://thelifecoachschool.com/1/).

I wish you well in your journey, and a speedy recovery!
Appreciate 6
      12-08-2017, 07:35 AM   #6
Lillian Terry
Banned
Rep
Drives: Lancer 2000

Thank you for your replies. Actually, I am also going to counseling. The online sites are very helpful like BetterHelp, Psych Central and Psychology Today. Been reading some articles on natural ways to manage depression too. That's where I got the idea of acupuncture can help depressed clients.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2017, 08:11 AM   #7
anvilromp
Rep
Drives: E26 M1

That's good news. I hope everything goes well with you
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2017, 09:57 AM   #8
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

If you are coming to the alternative side, don't discount the value of learning some stuff from yoga. Maybe what radiofrequency posted will work better, but he points to the mental side of it. Yoga can teach you some tools to control breathing, and asana practice, when done just near your limits, requires so much mental attention to the physical, you don't have time for depressed thoughts.

The toughest part of all this, you seem to already be dealing with: the first step in a new direction.

Breathing is my favorite part I learned. As an example, now that the unheated pool is down to the 50s, I do a series of 3-minute plunges, along with either sauna or Jacuzzi alternating. I'm now able to reduce my respiration to about 2/min. Slowing down forces you to pay attention to the internal life force.
Appreciate 5
scostu1619.50
Soul_Glo13282.50
DETRoadster11446.00
      12-12-2017, 02:02 AM   #9
smoosh
fight me bro
Rep
Drives: slut whisperer

Could you provide more information? What have you tried? How did it work? Does the depression wax and wane throughout the day? Age? Weight? Sleep habits? Nutrition habits? Hobbies? Blood pressure? Any conditions? Family history of depression?

Not to undermine what you're going through at all, but I've found many underlying symptoms of depression or depressive tendencies tend to relate to the afirementioned factors. I'd want to make sure all the above boxes are checked (i.e., nutriton's balanced, weight is under control, activity level is optimal) before you seek "special" (or specialized, you could say) treatment options. It'll certainly be more effective and sustainable at getting depression under control.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2017, 03:40 AM   #10
Soul_Glo
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20

I have read that it works best with the supplements they prescribe to support it. It can be used to relieve minor stress and depression in the short term. Moderate to severe depression requires a different approach. I work as a Senior CBT Therapist and I am a great believer in talking therapies. Talking is as effective as medicine and combining it with acupuncture could make for a potent combination to battle the depression. As mentioned here yoga is good. I teach Qi Gong (Tai Chi) and that is good too. A bit like medicine you need to find the talking therapy that works for you. Everyone is different so give it a try. See which one works. Reading books can be helpful but try not to take on too much in one go.

One of the many reason I find some of my clients don't make progress is because they read conflicting material. Light self help is okay but when you have a client attending for CBT and reading up for example about hypnosis or gestalt therapy at home then it can be information overload and you don't always see the benefits of one therapy. So my advice is stick to the one and give it a go before considering the next one. There is a good evidence base for many therapies out there so no one therapy is better than the other it seems. All of them have a different approach and function to get you to your goal of being less depressed. Keep supplemental reading light to things such as basic tips and guidance on self-compassion.

Mindfulness is another alternative. Not for everyone but worth looking into. Try a website like Headspace.

Hope that helps.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2017, 05:22 AM   #11
Soul_Glo
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobb View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillian Terry View Post
It depends on the severity of the depression.

I've had two long term stays in a psychiatric hospital in the last five years, with clinical depression. I was very ill, to the point of being suicidal and no longer communicating with the outside world. The only way back for me was medication. As I recovered therapy was very helpful and finally a healthy routine in my life, which is down to me.
I find behavioural activation very helpful. Fatigue is a symptom of the illness, but also a side effect of medication. BA for me involves regular trips to the gym, art class, Pilate's, walking my dog. Anything that gives a sense of achievement.
I also practice mindfulness, which is very positive for all of us that wish to maintain our mental health.

Sorry I can't be more helpful. Good luck with your journey. You are never alone
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2017, 07:06 AM   #12
Soul_Glo
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobb View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 37psi View Post
Extremely sorry.

I have deleted my original post.
Why Lobb ?

I am leaving the quote there as I think your response and lived experience is helpful to the OP. means "word" as in I couldn't agree more or have said it better myself. I am leaving your response quote there unless you want me to delete it. You are every bit as entitled as I to post what you want on here. The more input the better I say.

Now, just so you are as confused as a baby at a buffet: https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.u...=Word&amp=true
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2017, 07:43 AM   #13
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

^

Yes, his reply was an excellent read, helpful for all.
Appreciate 2
Soul_Glo13282.50
smoosh2211.50
      01-16-2018, 12:42 PM   #14
Soul_Glo
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottSinger View Post
^

Yes, his reply was an excellent read, helpful for all.
Lobb
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2018, 10:32 PM   #15
uniqueMR
Colonel
Rep
Drives: ...

I do agree with most and strongly believe counseling/talking is much helpful.
Haven't heard anyone using acupuncture for depression.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2018, 01:24 AM   #16
tennessee
Rep
Drives: white toyota vios

don't think acupuncture can do much for depression though... better go seek therapy.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2018, 07:45 PM   #17
mccoy817
Rep
Drives: X3 xDrive 20d M Sport

I know depression can also be physically tiring with all the sleepless night of overthinking and anxiety attack. In that aspect, I think acupuncture can help calm the nerves and ease the body.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2018, 10:41 AM   #18
iamvietness
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

have you tried CBD oil for depression?
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2018, 07:58 PM   #19
IM2C
Major General
Rep
Drives: ∞ Improbability Drive

Acupuncture is junk. There is no scientific mechanism that would make it work.
Feeling better and being objectively better are two different things.
      03-12-2018, 11:30 PM   #20
Performancedieselpros
Banned
Rep
Drives: X6 m

L-dopa is pretty good stuff!
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2018, 09:19 AM   #21
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Quote:
Originally Posted by f80 View Post
Acupuncture is junk. There is no scientific mechanism that would make it work.
Feeling better and being objectively better are two different things.
There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.

Acupuncture has survived since around 100BC, while your modern medicine has been around for 100? So snake oil and pills are obviously MUCH better. Shall we discuss the side-effects of psychotropic drugs, even just in the recent school-shooting era?
Appreciate 1
vtown99.00
      03-13-2018, 11:32 AM   #22
Performancedieselpros
Banned
Rep
Drives: X6 m

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.

Acupuncture has survived since around 100BC, while your modern medicine has been around for 100? So snake oil and pills are obviously MUCH better. Shall we discuss the side-effects of psychotropic drugs, even just in the recent school-shooting era?
Huh.....?

So have cockroaches and mosquitos, but that doesn't always mean effective or useful!

Social media has more psychologically impact than drugs!

Last edited by Performancedieselpros; 03-13-2018 at 11:41 AM..
Appreciate 0