BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

10-31-2019, 12:14 AM   #45
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinonz View Post
It still means leaving work and not working. The absolute opposite of what you posted.
retirement is an individual thing. i don't care what a dictionary says it is, i define it for myself. some people are looking forward to quitting mcdonald's at 65 to collect social security... i don't call that retirement.
      10-31-2019, 01:19 AM   #46
XnogarD
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: TOO FAST

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by roastbeef View Post
retirement is an individual thing. i don't care what a dictionary says it is, i define it for myself. some people are looking forward to quitting mcdonald's at 65 to collect social security... i don't call that retirement.
Agree, retirement just means differently for some people. For some, it's not working and living a mellow life, travel, staying at home, etc.

Others it's working from home or some remote location sipping an old fashioned. (minimal labor intensive work or playing with investment funds)

Me personally, I can't picture myself not doing anything productive, so I guess retirement is out of the question for me
Appreciate 1
roastbeef11571.50
      10-31-2019, 06:57 AM   #47
oVeRdOsE.
Major
Rep
Drives: F25 E91 Audi Avnt E90 Cayenne

Quote:
the google definition is wrong imo. here what it should be (from a dictionaries):

1- retirement; State of a person who, after a certain number of years of work, ceases his professional activity and receives a pension.

2- retirement; Action to withdraw from active life, to give up its functions; status of someone who has stopped working

3 - pensioner - : Who is retired, who has stopped working professionally.

So in that case, the words '' professional activity'' and ''active life,' is very important.

leaving your 'forever' job, do to something else, that require ''work'' or not, paid or not , is retirement.

I agree with you, nowadays, is hard to define it on accurate way, since there's physical job to brain job. None will live the retirement in the same way or at the same age.

On my part, I'm doing desk job, I probably can stop working early, but I won't. Its fun. On the weekend tho, working on flipping houses and race cars
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2019, 08:23 AM   #48
dinonz
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 MWM ZCP

Quote:
i don't care what a dictionary says it is, i define it for myself.
And with that I leave the discussion, because it's just become pointless. But I'll define pointless for myself, and I'll define discussion for myself, so it doesn't matter how you see it... *sigh*.
Appreciate 1
roastbeef11571.50
      10-31-2019, 08:26 AM   #49
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Yeah dont understand the whole reappropriating words to mean whatever you feel. Straight up aoc stuff.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2019, 08:30 AM   #50
Narcosis
The dude abides
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F82

I'm 62, looking forward to retiring at 67 or 68 - to me retirement means no more full time employment with the safety net which that provides. I'm in great health, good shape for my age, and really dig my job. My wife has been a homemaker since she got pregnant with our first in 1989. I used to say that I'll retire when I die, as we were awful at setting aside funds for living without a regular paycheck. We'll see how that works out. In the mean time we just started down the path of building a new home, our retirement home so to speak. Somethings I think I must be insane...
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2019, 08:33 AM   #51
dinonz
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 MWM ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by XnogarD View Post
Others it's working from home or some remote location sipping an old fashioned. (minimal labor intensive work or playing with investment funds)

Me personally, I can't picture myself not doing anything productive, so I guess retirement is out of the question for me
There's a word for that - it's called semiretired.
Appreciate 0