BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BMW 5-Series (E60) Forums (2004 - 2009) > General 5-series and M5 (E60) Forum

11-14-2022, 05:09 PM   #1
Spaininator
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2004 BMW 530i

Head gasket issue?

Hello everyone,

I purchased a 2004 530i about three months ago. I had the oil changed at my local bmw dealership since it was over due and my tools were still being shipped over. They mentioned there was oil around the bottom pan and I remember the dealer I had purchased it from said there was a leak but he replaced the gasket it was coming from. Just a couple days ago I started noticing a knock from the engine around 2k-3k rpm. I decided to replace the spark plugs because I wasn't sure if it was a faulty ignition in one of the cylinders. Each of the spark plugs had oil up the threads and a little bit near the ignition coils. This morning I found a small pool of oil on the ground. I lifted it and cleaned the oil off so I could trace it because there was quite a bit all over the bottom pan and I noticed some up about midway up the engine. Is this a blow head gasket or does anyone have a similar experience? I'm already starting to look for a new vehicle cause my mustang died from rod knock. But could it possibly be an oil pressure problem from the failed gasket? Replacing the gasket may fix the pressure and remove the knock?
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2022, 04:28 PM   #2
Spaininator
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2004 BMW 530i

*Update* Not that anyone cares but figured I'd leave it here in case anyone runs into same issue.
Don't think it's a head gasket, no signs of leakage around there and no traces of coolant mixing with oil. I changed the valve cover gasket to keep oil pressure in check (Never had a light or sensor warning but figured preventative maintenance is the best). Sprayed all the old leaky oil of to trace leaks. Turns out the Vanos line has a minor leak. Certain bolts on oil pan show pooling of oil and my transmission pan has a minor leak.
Will be taking it in to the dealer I got it from to check out the transmission, since the transmission was replaced right when I got it. They will see if it's maybe the rear main seal between the tranny and engine. And hopefully it hasn't spun a bearing.
Appreciate 0