BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Classic BMW (Pre-2005 Models)

03-06-2024, 04:34 PM   #1
hohlraum
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: VW Atlas

Garage List
Question I've got a set of SSR GT3's I've had in storage since the early 2000s

18x8.5 SSR GT3
18x10 SSR GT3

They don't have any scratches/curbing but likely need some straightening. Tirerack, who I bought them from back in 2002, didn't install the stems correctly (found out later) and I was constantly having issues with low tire pressure (hence the reason they need some repairs). Multiple dumb ass tire shops didn't notice the leaking. I found it myself.

I only thought about them recently because I just joined the forums (new X7 on order) and remembered that they were popular on older BMWs.

Any thoughts on what I should do with them? I had them on my Lexus GS430 I ordered from Japan back in 2002. Not really interested in investing any money in having them repaired myself.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2024, 06:10 PM   #2
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Problem with old school SSR is they’re discontinued so a lot of buyers will stay away knowing finding a replacement is really difficult. And the TR wheels from that era didn’t have the same build quality as the later SSR wheels. Post em on Club Lexus, and see if you get any bites.

I was in similar situation as you. I came across a set I had in storage for years. No bends but the paint saw better days. Decided to invest a little $ to refinish and mounted them on my track car. Really love how it turned out and little different from your typical TE-37s.
      03-06-2024, 11:23 PM   #3
TigerM3
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

I don't think clublexus is all that active anymore but to tie in the comments above, here's my widebody GS300 with GT3's that I rebuilt to 19x10.5/12.5
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
3002 tii2272.00
      03-07-2024, 04:54 PM   #4
FC4
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Yes

Those are OG. I remember when practically every E46 M3 around was rockin SSR GT3s at one point.

There absolutely is a market for old school Japanese wheels no longer in production (Racing Hart, Blitz, Advan, etc). You just have to be patient to find the right buyer.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2024, 05:49 AM   #5
Chihuahua
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E30 329iS, E65 Alpina B7

Why not post them for sale here? I had a set of SSRs on my car back in the day, they're great wheels. There is definitely a market for quality wheels like what you have from that era, someone will grab and refurb them. Good luck.
Appreciate 1
DubaiRich123.00
      03-08-2024, 09:13 AM   #6
hohlraum
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: VW Atlas

Garage List
Yep, I could possibly list them here. Not shipping them tho. Need to come up with a way to check to see which have any bends. I know one of them has a bend on the outer lip. Don't know about the rest. Which forum do you think I should list them in?
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2024, 09:44 AM   #7
Chihuahua
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E30 329iS, E65 Alpina B7

Quote:
Originally Posted by hohlraum View Post
Yep, I could possibly list them here. Not shipping them tho. Need to come up with a way to check to see which have any bends. I know one of them has a bend on the outer lip. Don't know about the rest. Which forum do you think I should list them in?
I wouldn't worry too much about quality control, just be upfront with what you can see. I think anyone that buys wheels that are 20+ years old is expecting a refurb scenario, I know I would. You could find a shop that will let you put then on a spin balancer and check them that way, but again I'd let the buyer take care of that. But that's just me. As far as where to post them, I'd post them up on this forum and FB marketplace. Price them right and they'll go quickly, they're great wheels. Good luck.
Appreciate 0