BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

09-20-2015, 10:15 PM   #23
fazman
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335 e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROB_S2K View Post
i haven't tried to restore yet because after upgrading to ios9... my backup is on my win xp itunes which requires the latest and greatest itunes 12.3 that only installs in win7+ so i'm now locked out of my backup
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2015, 01:08 AM   #24
Asianoak
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 M3 & "11 X3

Garage List
2011 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by P1et
This must be a hoax. Apple always works perfect, without any bugs or complications. Go take these lies elsewhere!!!
Ha Ha Ha!!!! I work in the cellular industry and this is almost verbatim what we respond with whenever somebody comes in with an apple device issue. Of course we're being 100% sarcastic and never say it to the customers face. More an inside joke referring to the brainwashed idealism that all things Apple are perfect when currently (as in the last year or two) it's anything but.

The ios 9 issue is still causing major problems for iphones of every generation and unfortunately not all customers have access to a computer these days to manually connect to iTunes. After all, Apple has pushed icloud so much that people didn't think they needed to use itunes on their computers anymore.
      10-15-2015, 08:03 AM   #25
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

My biggest gripe is that once you update to a newer operating system on your iPhone or iPad, you cannot go back and reset the thing, and take advantage of another iteration of it. With a PC, you can see if Windows 10 works for you. If it doesn't, just slap Windows 7 or XP back on there.

So it's a constant gamble. Every year, I like to completely wipe my phone and give it a fresh install of whatever OS is available. Just like a PC, once you do that, it really feels like a brand new phone. Fast and nimble. But it's the new operating systems that slow them down to a crawl. I agree with zx10guy that Apple should block certain OS version on equipment that's too old. I have a 4 that I have laying around so my 11 month old can mess with that instead of my daily use iPhone, and I believe that I can no longer upgrade it.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2015, 01:27 PM   #26
fravel
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Monaco Blue '06 330i

When will people learn to not update their previous-gen devices when a new iOS rolls out? They've been doing this with literally every iteration of the iPhone they've made. New phone has newer, better hardware and comes with new software to take advantage of it. Old phone with old hardware gets bogged down by new software, and you run off to the apple store to buy a new device because your old one is now a brick.
      10-15-2015, 01:30 PM   #27
fazman
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fravel View Post
When will people learn to not update their previous-gen devices when a new iOS rolls out? They've been doing this with literally every iteration of the iPhone they've made. New phone has newer, better hardware and comes with new software to take advantage of it. Old phone with old hardware gets bogged down by new software, and you run off to the apple store to buy a new device because your old one is now a brick.
You do realize they make different builds for each device? So the missing new hardware on older devices that can't utilize the new lines of code are removed. To be honest... I don't see why it should drastically slow down with each major revision because the hardware is the same. I honestly believe that they make older device builds with more inefficient code to make it slower intentionally so that people will want to "upgrade" the device.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2015, 01:38 PM   #28
fravel
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazman View Post
You do realize they make different builds for each device? So the missing new hardware on older devices that can't utilize the new lines of code are removed. To be honest... I don't see why it should drastically slow down with each major revision because the hardware is the same. I honestly believe that they make older device builds with more inefficient code to make it slower intentionally so that people will want to "upgrade" the device.
I'm not a programmer, so I'm not going to claim to know the actual mechanism that causes it, but the end result is the same. Next gen mobile device iOS on previous gen mobile device = brick.
      10-15-2015, 01:44 PM   #29
fazman
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I'm not a programmer, so I'm not going to claim to know the actual mechanism that causes it, but the end result is the same. Next gen mobile device iOS on previous gen mobile device = brick.
Not really, they do have QA (Quality Assurance) teams who are suppose to understand the product and changes coupled with all the various test conditions to vet the product through before they release.

They also have Beta's which you and I are not signed up for (but you and I can sign up for today if we like) to see how it works ahead of time.

The issue I had was an existing issue since iOS 8.x and it will hit people randomly. I think the bug was re-introduced because they had a fix in the 8.x lifetime but it was re-introduced in 9.0.0 but fixed as part of 9.0.1. Someone in their testing team didn't learn from past mistakes and it bit them in the a$$ again. That makes it a hit on the companies image and to their bottom line if people choose not to buy another product from apple (or upgrade).
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2015, 01:56 PM   #30
fravel
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Not really, they do have QA (Quality Assurance) teams who are suppose to understand the product and changes coupled with all the various test conditions to vet the product through before they release.
Keywords = 'supposed to'

Apple doesn't make any money by supporting old phones, they make money by selling new phones. My money says all the QA effort goes into the new phone and old phones are an afterthought.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazman
They also have Beta's which you and I are not signed up for (but you and I can sign up for today if we like) to see how it works ahead of time.
I'm good. Why would I volunteer to be a beta-tester when they've repeatedly failed with this at product launch? I need a working phone.

Quote:
The issue I had was an existing issue since iOS 8.x and it will hit people randomly. I think the bug was re-introduced because they had a fix in the 8.x lifetime but it was re-introduced in 9.0.0 but fixed as part of 9.0.1. Someone in their testing team didn't learn from past mistakes and it bit them in the a$$ again. That makes it a hit on the companies image and to their bottom line if people choose not to buy another product from apple (or upgrade).
That's not what happens though, what happens is people go "ohh my phone is old, better go get that new iPhone."
      10-15-2015, 01:58 PM   #31
fazman
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Keywords = 'supposed to'

Apple doesn't make any money by supporting old phones, they make money by selling new phones. My money says all the QA effort goes into the new phone and old phones are an afterthought.

I'm good. Why would I volunteer to be a beta-tester when they've repeatedly failed with this at product launch? I need a working phone.

That's not what happens though, what happens is people go "ohh my phone is old, better go get that new iPhone."

I hear ya....
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2015, 03:12 PM   #32
Templar
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [10.00]
My old iPhone still works fine. Obviously slower than what I'm used to with my Galaxy S5, and I don't use it much except at home to play iTunes music or quick game scores on ESPN, but no real issues. It's far from a "brick" though. Had an issue a few weeks ago with my S5 and put the sim card into the iPhone and it worked fine until I could get to the store and have my regular phone looked at. Again, slower, but I could make and receive calls.

Someone mentioned user error, and I agree. I don't even think it gives me the option to upgrade to iOS 9. I'd have to check it again and see though. I typically only upgrade the apps since that's all I use it for at home, and the settings button wasn't showing an upgrade available last time I checked.
      07-14-2016, 12:54 PM   #33
fazman
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Templar View Post
My old iPhone still works fine. Obviously slower than what I'm used to with my Galaxy S5, and I don't use it much except at home to play iTunes music or quick game scores on ESPN, but no real issues. It's far from a "brick" though. Had an issue a few weeks ago with my S5 and put the sim card into the iPhone and it worked fine until I could get to the store and have my regular phone looked at. Again, slower, but I could make and receive calls.

Someone mentioned user error, and I agree. I don't even think it gives me the option to upgrade to iOS 9. I'd have to check it again and see though. I typically only upgrade the apps since that's all I use it for at home, and the settings button wasn't showing an upgrade available last time I checked.
So hopefully this sept/oct I'll upgrade to the latest and greatest iphone 7... but now I'm wondering if I should try to get a deal on the outgoing iphone 6S plus 128gb instead in Aug?
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2016, 01:50 PM   #34
Needbmwpartzz
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 bmw 328i x-drive

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Templar View Post

So hopefully this sept/oct I'll upgrade to the latest and greatest iphone 7... but now I'm wondering if I should try to get a deal on the outgoing iphone 6S plus 128gb instead in Aug?
Wait for the goodies.....iPhone 7.
I'm hoping my current phone lasts till then...battery is suffering from dementia sometimes it holds charge other times it goes from green full to discharge mode.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2016, 12:54 PM   #35
fazman
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needbmwpartzz View Post
Wait for the goodies.....iPhone 7.
I'm hoping my current phone lasts till then...battery is suffering from dementia sometimes it holds charge other times it goes from green full to discharge mode.
Yea my phone can have 68% charge remaining and then all of a sudden shut off time to put the iphone 4s into storage and get something newer.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2016, 01:11 PM   #36
Wolf 335
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

Since we are talking about iOS 9...

On my iPhone 5 for some reason I can't clear map history. The ones I manually entered all clear but the ones that were either texted to me or emailed do no clear and they just sit there. It will show the address and then the contacts name under it or email.

Anyone else have this issue?
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2016, 12:22 PM   #37
EL Jeffe 5
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: CBR1000RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1et View Post
This must be a hoax. Apple always works perfect, without any bugs or complications. Go take these lies elsewhere!!!
Well said my Friend
Appreciate 1
fazman681.00
      07-24-2016, 12:23 PM   #38
EL Jeffe 5
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf 335 View Post
Since we are talking about iOS 9...

On my iPhone 5 for some reason I can't clear map history. The ones I manually entered all clear but the ones that were either texted to me or emailed do no clear and they just sit there. It will show the address and then the contacts name under it or email.

Anyone else have this issue?
I think you may have to delete your text and email because its all synced
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2016, 12:25 PM   #39
EL Jeffe 5
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yea my phone can have 68% charge remaining and then all of a sudden shut off time to put the iphone 4s into storage and get something newer.
you don't have to do that just replace battery and you are good for next 2 years
just make when you replace battery and its not older more than 3 months check date when battery was made.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2017, 09:36 PM   #40
fazman
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EL Jeffe 5 View Post
you don't have to do that just replace battery and you are good for next 2 years
just make when you replace battery and its not older more than 3 months check date when battery was made.
I ended up getting the iphone 7 plus 256gb jet black in nov 2016. i still haven't moved all my data over from the 4s yet.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2017, 04:50 PM   #41
Kong Sheng Han
Banned
North Korea
Rep
Drives: Something something racecar

Garage List
2011 BMW 328i  [0.00]
2001 BMW M3  [0.00]
You can access all of your backups if you enable hidden folders on your computer. Maybe try copying and pasting them in the updated iTunes backup folder?
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2017, 08:57 PM   #42
fazman
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kong Sheng Han View Post
You can access all of your backups if you enable hidden folders on your computer. Maybe try copying and pasting them in the updated iTunes backup folder?
this happened a long while ago. i have moved on with the loss of my contacts in my phone and now i have an iphone 7 plus 256gb
Appreciate 0