BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Health, Fitness, Martial Arts, and Nutrition

10-02-2019, 03:01 AM   #1233
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Getzinem View Post
Since I got hurt doing deadlifts and still consider it an important exercise. I would like to share 2 videos

One, demonstrating how to and how NOT to do a deadlift

and another showing you how to foam roll the muscles involved in deadlifting and squatting so you can recover faster

Please share your thoughts. Thanks!
I know longer do dead lifts now that i'm older. I feel like it's only gonna take once to ef something up so I don't take the chance anymore. great videos and thanks for sharing
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 1
      10-02-2019, 05:55 AM   #1234
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 128i, 2008 LS3 C6

I will be 45 this year...in fact next week. I still dead-lift regularly. I believe it's like anything else, put in the time learning the proper form and prep yourself for it, and you can be injury free. I do all the major lifts and use what I think is quite a fair bit of weight. But it took me years to get to that point.

Now if you have an old injury, I think that changes the dynamics of everything as they can easily be inflamed....so I wouldn't chance it.

I also use foam rolling pretty extensively. And I see a PT once a month who works on all my trigger points, and is pretty aggressive with stuff such as scraping, deep tissue, etc. I also do a lot to protect my shoulder girdle such as rotations, pro-nations, stretching, etc.

Honestly though, I think the biggest problem I see in the gym is people using too much weight with bad form. That is a recipe for disaster.

I was fortunate enough to train with people when I first started that were professionals in their sports..some even world champions. I feel that was instrumental in my longevity in this activity as you can't learn this stuff from a book. There are so many little cues to look for even when doing the simplest exercises.

Plus everybody is built differently. Muscle insertion points are different, length and leverage...it all plays a role in it. Some people are made for a certain exercise while others aren't. And if you are the latter, you scrap the exercise and move to something that works.
      10-02-2019, 07:53 AM   #1235
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

If something is hard at first give up boy - homer
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2019, 12:58 PM   #1236
Getzinem
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW m235i

Thanks for sharing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmtt View Post
I will be 45 this year...in fact next week. I still dead-lift regularly. I believe it's like anything else, put in the time learning the proper form and prep yourself for it, and you can be injury free. I do all the major lifts and use what I think is quite a fair bit of weight. But it took me years to get to that point.

Now if you have an old injury, I think that changes the dynamics of everything as they can easily be inflamed....so I wouldn't chance it.

I also use foam rolling pretty extensively. And I see a PT once a month who works on all my trigger points, and is pretty aggressive with stuff such as scraping, deep tissue, etc. I also do a lot to protect my shoulder girdle such as rotations, pro-nations, stretching, etc.

Honestly though, I think the biggest problem I see in the gym is people using too much weight with bad form. That is a recipe for disaster.

I was fortunate enough to train with people when I first started that were professionals in their sports..some even world champions. I feel that was instrumental in my longevity in this activity as you can't learn this stuff from a book. There are so many little cues to look for even when doing the simplest exercises.

Plus everybody is built differently. Muscle insertion points are different, length and leverage...it all plays a role in it. Some people are made for a certain exercise while others aren't. And if you are the latter, you scrap the exercise and move to something that works.
Glad to hear that you are able to stay healthy and that you take care of yourself. Age is just a number and the best ability is availability
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2019, 01:00 PM   #1237
Getzinem
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg View Post
I know longer do dead lifts now that i'm older. I feel like it's only gonna take once to ef something up so I don't take the chance anymore. great videos and thanks for sharing
Thanks for your input! I completely understand, what do you do in place of deadlifts now?
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2019, 01:19 PM   #1238
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Getzinem View Post
Thanks for your input! I completely understand, what do you do in place of deadlifts now?
I haven't replaced it with anything since I already incorporate a pretty good back routine
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Appreciate 0
Rmtt8206.00
      10-02-2019, 01:38 PM   #1239
Getzinem
Banned
Rep

Quote:
I haven't replaced it with anything since I already incorporate a pretty good back routine
I meant, when you do your back workout what exercise to you do for your lower and mid back?
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2019, 01:48 PM   #1240
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
That's the best thing I can hear when talking with people about training. If it doesn't work for you....or if you can't chance doing it for some reason....you improvise and keep moving forward.

Most would let it get them down, but you found a solution and pushed on with it without excuse.

I wish more people were like that.
      10-02-2019, 01:49 PM   #1241
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:

That's the best thing I can hear when talking with people about training. If it doesn't work for you....or if you can't chance doing it for some reason....you improvise and keep moving forward.

Most would let it get them down, but you found a solution and pushed on with it without excuse.

10-02-2019, 02:54 PM   #1242
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:

10-02-2019, 06:22 PM   #1243
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Hot damb I had an AWESOME shoulder workout! I felt like my skin was going to burst from the pumps. I gotta say I'm loving these testosterone boosters from Jym Supplement Science. I gotta say it's not the preworkout that keeps me going but it's this endless energy I'm getting now. I know after the age of I believe 34 testosterone levels start going down for males
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2019, 09:00 AM   #1244
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Officially 208.5lbs at this morning's weigh-in. I plan to keep going, but I am starting to see some "softness" coming back into the picture....like my bicep/side-delt separation starting to leave.. I think this may be my last year of bulking.

After that I plan to settle into a comfortable weight and just see if I can keep refining what I have done so far!
Attached Images

Last edited by Rmtt; 10-03-2019 at 11:56 AM..
Appreciate 3
King Rudi13152.00
      10-03-2019, 10:52 AM   #1245
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Officially 208.5lbs at this morning's weigh-in. I plan to keep going, but I am starting to see some "softness" coming back into the picture. I think this may be my last year of bulking.

After that I plan to settle into a comfortable weight and just see if I can keep refining what I have done so far!
DO YOU EVEN LIFT BRO
Appreciate 2
Rmtt8206.00
UncleWede17871.00
      10-03-2019, 11:02 AM   #1246
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
DO YOU EVEN LIFT BRO
Most of the added weight I'm carrying in my legs as I started hitting them hard again...and they took off. My wife just stares at me now when we just ate dinner 2 hours prior...and I'm in the kitchen making something else to eat.

My appetite is crazy right now. I'm eating constantly and still wake up starving in the mornings.

By the way, where is JP10 ?

Haven't seen him on in awhile. Maybe he is in the middle of his move he talked about earlier. Hope he is doing okay!
      10-03-2019, 11:43 AM   #1247
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Most of the added weight I'm carrying in my legs as I started hitting them hard again...and they took off. My wife just stares at me now when we just ate dinner 2 hours prior...and I'm in the kitchen making something else to eat.

My appetite is crazy right now. I'm eating constantly and still wake up starving in the mornings.

By the way, where is JP10 ?

Haven't seen him on in awhile. Maybe he is in the middle of his move he talked about earlier. Hope he is doing okay!
JP10 I dunno? hopefully fine. hey by the way when you do seated leg extensions do you incorporate the toe in toe out method to hit certain parts of your quads?
Appreciate 1
JP102462.00
      10-03-2019, 11:55 AM   #1248
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
JP10 I dunno? hopefully fine. hey by the way when you do seated leg extensions do you incorporate the toe in toe out method to hit certain parts of your quads?
I keep them straight. But I only use it as a pre-exhaust technique as I think going too heavy on extensions could cause knee issues later. And by turning your feet, you can place stress on areas you don't want to.

Where I can really tell a difference in position of the toes is during a hack squat. You can really feel it isolate the inner and outer quad because it's basically a pressing movement. And you can take it to failure much safer than you can on other exercises such as squats.

One trick...if you want to "light" up a certain area......superset them with adductions or abductions depending on the area you are trying to hit.

So let's say you want to hit inner quads. Do a set on the adductor machine, the immediately do a set on the hack-squat machine with toes pointed inwards...vice-versa for outside quads.

Something about triggering those groups really complements each other.

Most people do the abductor machine along with toes out hack squats. Superset them and you build that "sweep" along your outer quads.
      10-03-2019, 12:13 PM   #1249
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I keep them straight. But I only use it as a pre-exhaust technique as I think going too heavy on extensions could cause knee issues later. And by turning your feet, you can place stress on areas you don't want to.

Where I can really tell a difference in position of the toes is during a hack squat. You can really feel it isolate the inner and outer quad because it's basically a pressing movement. And you can take it to failure much safer than you can on other exercises such as squats.

One trick...if you want to "light" up a certain area......superset them with adductions or abductions depending on the area you are trying to hit.

So let's say you want to hit inner quads. Do a set on the adductor machine, the immediately do a set on the hack-squat machine with toes pointed inwards...vice-versa for outside quads.

Something about triggering those groups really complements each other.

Most people do the abductor machine along with toes out hack squats. Superset them and you build that "sweep" along your outer quads.
sweet! thanks for the pointers. will have to give those a try
Appreciate 1
Rmtt8206.00
      10-03-2019, 02:09 PM   #1250
JP10
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Hey guys, yeah just crazy busy. Traveled the last two weeks finishing up my last job. Moved out of Jersey last weekend and spending a week back in PA seeing family. Heading down to Charleston for the new job tomorrow and first day is Monday. So I'm swamped to say the least hahaha, but very excited to start!

Good news, I've been able to get in the gym every day this week so far! Lifts are solid, but have eaten terribly this week with parties and going out to eat and what not.

Hopefully I'll be more active once everything settles down with the move, til then hope your goals have all progressed!! It's bulking season baby!
Appreciate 2
Rmtt8206.00
      10-03-2019, 02:36 PM   #1251
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP10 View Post
Hey guys, yeah just crazy busy. Traveled the last two weeks finishing up my last job. Moved out of Jersey last weekend and spending a week back in PA seeing family. Heading down to Charleston for the new job tomorrow and first day is Monday. So I'm swamped to say the least hahaha, but very excited to start!

Good news, I've been able to get in the gym every day this week so far! Lifts are solid, but have eaten terribly this week with parties and going out to eat and what not.

Hopefully I'll be more active once everything settles down with the move, til then hope your goals have all progressed!! It's bulking season baby!

Nice to see you things are working out for you!

I had wondered where you were at and glad to see you reply.

Man.....I'm in all out bulking mode right now. I can't keep enough food in the house. Wife has been making mid-week grocery runs for me. Everything is fair game right now!

I've been eating those Kodiak waffles each morning after working out. It's for a pretty good protein count. I'm not a big fan if syrup, but found out that they are awesome if you spread Nutella on them.

Plus True Nutrition makes a lot of high protein foods like soup and stuff for light snacks.

I was aiming for 220lbs....but going to play it by ear.
      10-03-2019, 02:52 PM   #1252
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

I usually bulk during the Fall and Winter but I may just keep eating clean and keeping the calories to the minimum
Appreciate 1
Rmtt8206.00
      10-03-2019, 06:55 PM   #1253
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I usually bulk during the Fall and Winter but I may just keep eating clean and keeping the calories to the minimum
Sounds good. I've done that a few times. Your body starts to take on a different look. Call it being grainy, muscle maturity, etc......but I think it definitely helps more than people realize.

As long as you are killing it in the gym and have that "fire" burning......that is all that matters!
      10-03-2019, 09:28 PM   #1254
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Sounds good. I've done that a few times. Your body starts to take on a different look. Call it being grainy, muscle maturity, etc......but I think it definitely helps more than people realize.

As long as you are killing it in the gym and have that "fire" burning......that is all that matters!
Exactly! Workouts are intense...speaking of intense had a late night leg workout since I had to pull a 12 hr shift cause my coworker said his "vagina hurts" lol! Anywho gym was dead except me and 3 other dudes

BTW your arms look like two veiny penis's lol! I guess the veins is all genetics cause I don't get that except on the penis. Are you taking anything for vascularity?
Appreciate 1
Rmtt8206.00