BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

05-15-2020, 12:35 PM   #1
black335i
Captain
Rep
Drives: M 4

Side Hustle?

Been wanting to do a side hustle for a while, my friend started out a successful tow truck and Nationwide franchise. He's been doing very well ( Ford GT, GT 350, G wagon, 1.5 M house). Looking for ideas for my own business.
2015 Honda Accord
2020 Range Rover Sport HST
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2020, 02:17 PM   #2
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

I know somebody who recently told me there are really lucrative franchises for porta-potties, at least in the area he was going to retire to (NY or SC, but probably everywhere). Apparently it is real simple and high demand, but nobody wants the stigma of being 'the porta john guy'. Even if you forgo this turd of an idea, I'd look for s/t that won't have you being on-call like a towing company would.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2020, 02:30 PM   #3
Amrit2020
Rep
n/a
Drives:

I started a detailing company a couple years ago in my city, I figured I would get to work on cool cars and most importantly make money to buy cars and car parts lol. We charge out at $150-$200 a detail (we offer many other services asides from detailing (https://dripdetailing.ca) and its now replaced my full time job and I just bought a e93 M3.

All our clients came through social media and kijiji. Shoot me a message if you have any questions
Appreciate 4
black335i191.50
Frupal779.50
sspade2460.00
Dagamus_NM1639.50
      06-07-2020, 02:04 PM   #4
BimmerDimmer6
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 M3 6MT / 2019 Raptor

Share Your Side Hustle - Creating Multiple Stream of Income

Do you have any side hustle(s)?

If so, share what you do for supplemental income, and how long you have been doing it. Maybe it will inspire someone who is struggling right now and allow them to branch out and build a few income steams that are sufficient in supporting their lifestyle, specifically when shit hits the fan, like with COVID.

I've had a side gig ever since I was 15. I started cutting grass and laying SOD with a buddy in high school and over the years have progressed into car sales and real estate. I got my wholesale RV dealer's license a few years back have been a buying and selling campers/RV's for a few years now. I've only flipped about 3, but looking to get back into it as real estate and my day job appear to be slowing down. I live in Tampa and the RV market is substantial, hence wanting to get into it. I'm a purchasing manager for a construction company and things have been busy, but clearly impacted.

Appreciate 0
      06-08-2020, 04:26 AM   #5
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 128i, 2008 LS3 C6

Stocks
MKSixer34171.50
JustinHEMI7401.00
      06-08-2020, 04:28 AM   #6
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Stocks (Day trading).

I still have all my retirement stuff being contributed and maxed out...but dabble in the market.

So far...I have made over $50K this year with a couple hours of time EOD.
Murf99314114.00
black335i191.50
MKSixer34171.50
      06-08-2020, 10:46 AM   #7
Darth One
drunk poster
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS | E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maynard View Post
I know somebody who recently told me there are really lucrative franchises for porta-potties, at least in the area he was going to retire to (NY or SC, but probably everywhere). Apparently it is real simple and high demand, but nobody wants the stigma of being 'the porta john guy'. Even if you forgo this turd of an idea, I'd look for s/t that won't have you being on-call like a towing company would.
It’s at least a good answer to when someone asks what you do for a living:

“i take shit from other people...“
Appreciate 5
Maynard3804.50
phoenx331.50
Murf99314114.00
upstatedoc7555.50
      06-08-2020, 11:39 AM   #8
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

I just take my shirt off when I'm mowing the lawn and the all the lonely house ladies in my neighborhood throw money on my lawn
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 6
upstatedoc7555.50
ASAP10049.50
Rmtt8206.00
MKSixer34171.50
      06-08-2020, 03:18 PM   #9
rebekahb
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Wine.

There's a lot of crap (added sugar, extra sulfites, & up to 250 different chemicals can be added, etc) in wine that doesn't need to be there. Last year I signed up to be a consultant and really enjoy it. A few friends have quit their jobs because they have done so well. I do it more for dabbling to learn about wine & I probably drink more than I sell. I really enjoy wine with dinner so it's been nice learning which are good pairings.
Appreciate 6
corn181712.00
King Rudi13152.00
MKSixer34171.50
jmack548.50
      06-08-2020, 03:55 PM   #10
Run Silent
Run Deep
United_States
Rep
Drives: Back and Forth To Work

Garage List
I have two main income streams other than my normal job.

1) I grow ginseng on my property and harvest it each year. Depending upon market rates, this nets me around $30K-$50K per year.

2) I purchase investment properties for rental income. Right now I have a couple here in the southeast United States as well as three overseas. Net, after all expenses, these generate about $40K-$60K annually, depending on any maint. items that arose that year.
Rmtt8206.00
MKSixer34171.50
JustinHEMI7401.00
jmack548.50
      06-08-2020, 04:00 PM   #11
corn18
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3 M40i

Garage List
2014 Jeep Wrangler 2D  [0.00]
2015 Chevy 2500HD  [0.00]
2015 Z4  [0.00]
2020 X3 M40i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebekahb View Post
Wine.

There's a lot of crap (added sugar, extra sulfites, & up to 250 different chemicals can be added, etc) in wine that doesn't need to be there. Last year I signed up to be a consultant and really enjoy it. A few friends have quit their jobs because they have done so well. I do it more for dabbling to learn about wine & I probably drink more than I sell. I really enjoy wine with dinner so it's been nice learning which are good pairings.
Is this why some wines really don't agree with my wife? I would love to learn more about wine. On our trip to Africa, we used a sommelier at every meal we could and man, did they know their stuff. Made everything so nice. A $500 bottle of wine with the wrong food tastes like utter crap. A $20 bottle of wine with the right food is magical. I do still have my taste for wine sans food (Caymus, Stags Leap Artimus, Shafer 1.0). But they don't always taste good with a lot of foods.

So, after all that yammering I did, where can we get started on this? We both love wine and food and want to learn more.
      06-08-2020, 04:18 PM   #12
kscarrol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i, 1974 2002 Tii

^ Yes! Many wine makers add sulfites to help the wine survive shipping etc. All wine naturally has a small amount of sulfites the the added ones are the problem. They can contribute to heartburn/stomach pain, headaches among other issues.
Appreciate 1
MKSixer34171.50
      06-08-2020, 05:37 PM   #13
BMWGUYinCO
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 22 M850 Convertible '23 X3 M40

Quote:
Originally Posted by corn18 View Post
Is this why some wines really don't agree with my wife? I would love to learn more about wine. On our trip to Africa, we used a sommelier at every meal we could and man, did they know their stuff. Made everything so nice. A $500 bottle of wine with the wrong food tastes like utter crap. A $20 bottle of wine with the right food is magical. I do still have my taste for wine sans food (Caymus, Stags Leap Artimus, Shafer 1.0). But they don't always taste good with a lot of foods.

So, after all that yammering I did, where can we get started on this? We both love wine and food and want to learn more.
The answer to your questions could span 5 pages, but let me try for a really high level summary here.

To begin with, your wife is most likely reacting to sulfites within wines. Most labels don't tell you the percentage of sulfites added - they just say "Contains sulfites"...but some wines actually point out they contain no sulfites. In addition, some wines are labeled "Organic" and that can help.

Now - on to the fun part; food/wine pairings! Let me start by giving you a couple of really good tips for enjoying any wine:

1. Make sure it's served at the right temperature. I hear too many people make the mistake that red wines "should be served at room temperature" or white wines should be pulled directly from a cold fridge. Wrong. Serve red wines stored at about 60 degrees. White wines should be served slightly warmer than the temperature in your fridge - about 50 degrees. Too cold, and some of the flavors are lost.

2. Just about all red wines benefit from decanting prior to enjoyment. Most people pop the cork and pour to drink, either alone or right with food. Aerating using available devices does help, but not as well as decanting it for about 30 minutes before serving.

Please consider these pairing ideas as highly general, but enough to steer you in the right directions. I'll try to include both New World as well as Old World equivalent wines...

From your listed favorites, you prefer Napa Cabs. These generally are intense fruit forward with structured tannins that provide a lush and lingering finish and you are right - they are awesome enjoyed alone. But ideal pairing for these are with any red meat dishes and you're golden.

Since you like Napa Cabs, you can try their "Old World" equivalent to pair with red meat - think Bordeaux from France, or Super Tuscans or Montelpulciano from Italy.

If you like BBQ, this genre has a sweet and spicy taste profile - pair these dishes up with Malbecs, Shiraz, or Chotes-du-Rhones.
For burgers, try a Syrah.

If you enjoy earthy profile dishes, such as mushrooms or truffle dishes - pair with a nice Pinot Noir (since you like Napa Cabs, I recommend you stick to Pinots from the Russian River Valley in California - these are not as light as an Oregon Pinot Noir). Their equivalent in Old World wines include Beaujolais or Red Burgundy wines which are actually Pinot Noir grapes too. Go to a Tempranillo from Spain for a similar profile.

Everyone pairs Chianti with Italian dishes, and actually within the Chianti family you can have light to pretty medium bodied wines. I like a medium chianti or even a Barbaresco with red sauce pastas, but another favorite of mine are Barolos from the Piedmont region and these pair with Italian dishes beyond pasta. Italian wines need a whole page to fully explore pairings, but in addition to red sauce dishes, you also have very rich pasta dishes such as pappardelle with a veal ragu sauce - these pair up nicely with a Montelpulciano d'Abruzzo or Amarone (this is one of my favorite varietals from Italy - I suggest you try a bottle!).

For lighter meat dishes dishes, such as turkey or pork I like a red Zinfandel or again, a good Pinot from Calinfornia. I actually don't know much about a similar profiles to a Zin from other countries...

Let's move on to whites.

For lighter fish dishes (lemon sauce or no sauce for example) or even fish tacos, a great choice is either a Pinot Grigio, or even a Spanish Alborino.
For fish dishes with more rich sauces, try a nice Chardonnay. Here's the thing about Chardonnays though - you can either have the "butter bomb" (my preferred style, which is medium to heavy bodied) or the citrus style - it depends on where it's made. Or you can go with a Chablis from France.

For appetizer platters that are dominant with cheeses, I like a good Rose. They're versatile and can even hold their own with salamis or pates.

For turkey and pork dishes, if you aren't going red, you can find a nice Savignon Blanc, Riesling, Chardonnay or even a Pinot Gris.

And here's my last two cents - you are also right to point out that a $20 wine will taste much better than a $100 bottle when paired properly. In general, paying way more for a bottle of red or white wine doesn't mean it tastes that much better than a $35 counterpart - you may be paying for a smaller vintage, or boutique label, etc. I find the sweet spot of wines at liquor store prices to be between $25 - $80, depending on the wine. Expect to pay double those prices at restaurants.

Man, I only scratched the surface in the most general terms, but again maybe this will help get you started. If you start to see how a good wine paired with the right food or event can make a big difference, I recommend this book from Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Find-Your-Win...1655149&sr=8-7

And last but not least, while I provided some general pair guidelines above, there is nothing wrong with pairing a wine you like with a food you like. Sure, some wines DON'T pair at all with some foods, but that is usually the exception, not the rule. Enjoy.
Appreciate 6
corn181712.00
kscarrol8775.50
rebekahb3128.50
MKSixer34171.50
Fakemike368.50
      06-08-2020, 05:44 PM   #14
corn18
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3 M40i

Garage List
2014 Jeep Wrangler 2D  [0.00]
2015 Chevy 2500HD  [0.00]
2015 Z4  [0.00]
2020 X3 M40i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWGUYinCO View Post
The answer to your questions could span 5 pages, but let me try for a really high level summary here.

To begin with, your wife is most likely reacting to sulfites within wines. Most labels don't tell you the percentage of sulfites added - they just say "Contains sulfites"...but some wines actually point out they contain no sulfites. In addition, some wines are labeled "Organic" and that can help.

Now - on to the fun part; food/wine pairings! Let me start by giving you a couple of really good tips for enjoying any wine:

1. Make sure it's served at the right temperature. I hear too many people make the mistake that red wines "should be served at room temperature" or white wines should be pulled directly from a cold fridge. Wrong. Serve red wines stored at about 60 degrees. White wines should be served slightly warmer than the temperature in your fridge - about 50 degrees. Too cold, and some of the flavors are lost.

2. Just about all red wines benefit from decanting prior to enjoyment. Most people pop the cork and pour to drink, either alone or right with food. Aerating using available devices does help, but not as well as decanting it for about 30 minutes before serving.

Please consider these pairing ideas as highly general, but enough to steer you in the right directions. I'll try to include both New World as well as Old World equivalent wines...

From your listed favorites, you prefer Napa Cabs. These generally are intense fruit forward with structured tannins that provide a lush and lingering finish and you are right - they are awesome enjoyed alone. But ideal pairing for these are with any red meat dishes and you're golden.

Since you like Napa Cabs, you can try their "Old World" equivalent to pair with red meat - think Bordeaux from France, or Super Tuscans or Montelpulciano from Italy.

If you like BBQ, this genre has a sweet and spicy taste profile - pair these dishes up with Malbecs, Shiraz, or Chotes-du-Rhones.
For burgers, try a Syrah.

If you enjoy earthy profile dishes, such as mushrooms or truffle dishes - pair with a nice Pinot Noir (since you like Napa Cabs, I recommend you stick to Pinots from the Russian River Valley in California - these are not as light as an Oregon Pinot Noir). Their equivalent in Old World wines include Beaujolais or Red Burgundy wines which are actually Pinot Noir grapes too. Go to a Tempranillo from Spain for a similar profile.

Everyone pairs Chianti with Italian dishes, and actually within the Chianti family you can have light to pretty medium bodied wines. I like a medium chianti or even a Barbaresco with red sauce pastas, but another favorite of mine are Barolos from the Piedmont region and these pair with Italian dishes beyond pasta. Italian wines need a whole page to fully explore pairings, but in addition to red sauce dishes, you also have very rich pasta dishes such as pappardelle with a veal ragu sauce - these pair up nicely with a Montelpulciano d'Abruzzo or Amarone (this is one of my favorite varietals from Italy - I suggest you try a bottle!).

For lighter meat dishes dishes, such as turkey or pork I like a red Zinfandel or again, a good Pinot from Calinfornia. I actually don't know much about a similar profiles to a Zin from other countries...

Let's move on to whites.

For lighter fish dishes (lemon sauce or no sauce for example) or even fish tacos, a great choice is either a Pinot Grigio, or even a Spanish Alborino.
For fish dishes with more rich sauces, try a nice Chardonnay. Here's the thing about Chardonnays though - you can either have the "butter bomb" (my preferred style, which is medium to heavy bodied) or the citrus style - it depends on where it's made. Or you can go with a Chablis from France.

For appetizer platters that are dominant with cheeses, I like a good Rose. They're versatile and can even hold their own with salamis or pates.

For turkey and pork dishes, if you aren't going red, you can find a nice Savignon Blanc, Riesling, Chardonnay or even a Pinot Gris.

And here's my last two cents - you are also right to point out that a $20 wine will taste much better than a $100 bottle when paired properly. In general, paying way more for a bottle of red or white wine doesn't mean it tastes that much better than a $35 counterpart - you may be paying for a smaller vintage, or boutique label, etc. I find the sweet spot of wines at liquor store prices to be between $25 - $80, depending on the wine. Expect to pay double those prices at restaurants.

Man, I only scratched the surface in the most general terms, but again maybe this will help get you started. If you start to see how a good wine paired with the right food or event can make a big difference, I recommend this book from Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Find-Your-Win...1655149&sr=8-7

And last but not least, while I provided some general pair guidelines above, there is nothing wrong with pairing a wine you like with a food you like. Sure, some wines DON'T pair at all with some foods, but that is usually the exception, not the rule. Enjoy.
Thanks! I just ordered the book.
      06-08-2020, 05:55 PM   #15
upstatedoc
I'll get back to you
Rep
Drives: blue streak

looking into online doctorin. field seems to be flooded right about now however
Appreciate 3
Run Silent15127.00
Conissah1574.50
MKSixer34171.50
      06-08-2020, 07:02 PM   #16
NorCalAthlete
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '23 M4CX - Tanzanite / Tartufo

I've got a couple ideas for a side business that I've been utterly slacking on standing up. So much shit going on I'm trying to make sure I keep my current job + get a better one soon before I try launching a side business.

I've been learning stock options and just sticking with basic calls and puts I've made an extra couple thousand here and there for not much more effort than checking my phone before breakfast and scrolling a few different forums at night before I go to bed. It's enough to cover my car payment if my luck continues. As I gain confidence I'm going to move into more advanced strategies and dump some more money into my account to play with.
Appreciate 2
Rmtt8206.00
      06-08-2020, 07:11 PM   #17
Darth One
drunk poster
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS | E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Run Silent View Post
I have two main income streams other than my normal job.

1) I grow ginseng on my property and harvest it each year. Depending upon market rates, this nets me around $30K-$50K per year.

2) I purchase investment properties for rental income. Right now I have a couple here in the southeast United States as well as three overseas. Net, after all expenses, these generate about $40K-$60K annually, depending on any maint. items that arose that year.
Growing “ginseng” and overseas properties, huh. I can read between the lines here

Do you also fly your product in on small private planes
Appreciate 5
Run Silent15127.00
Rmtt8206.00
MKSixer34171.50
      06-08-2020, 07:17 PM   #18
VisualEcho
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M2 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
1. Photographer - Mecum Auctions

That's my day job, the job on the books, the one that pays the bills. I never use a CENT of that money for anything personal, it's bills only.

The rest are hustles for play money.

2. Coalter Insurance - group benefits/IT
3. VisualEchos Photography - misc photography
4. Rig-Pro - my business that sells rig equipment for photographers
5. Buy/Sell Lotus parts - just what it sounds like (this one is gone now, Geely put an end to it)

Oh, and this is an automotive rig-shot, I sell the equipment that makes this shot possible.
Attached Images

Appreciate 13
vreihen1614882.00
Rmtt8206.00
Run Silent15127.00
MKSixer34171.50
Fakemike368.50
JustinHEMI7401.00
Altra265.50
      06-09-2020, 08:33 AM   #19
Run Silent
Run Deep
United_States
Rep
Drives: Back and Forth To Work

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth One View Post
Growing “ginseng” and overseas properties, huh. I can read between the lines here

Do you also fly your product in on small private planes
Funny thing is that it really is Ginseng. Found it by accident when I bought all the property. I had the builders using the trees on my property to build the home and we came across it during the forest clearings. Stuff is like gold up here, and there are many locals who will sneak onto your property and try and steal it.

Spent quite a bit of $$$ setting up significant security protocols around the property to prevent this. I have motion cameras with motion activated flood lights that set off alarms in the house based with filters to aid in reducing false alarms due to wildlife. Also have electrified fencing with step up transformers that I got approved from the county for the higher voltage due to "large sized wildlife".

This has seemed to mitigate my issues.
      06-09-2020, 09:10 AM   #20
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 11' 335is DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmtt View Post
Stocks (Day trading).

I still have all my retirement stuff being contributed and maxed out...but dabble in the market.

So far...I have made over $50K this year with a couple hours of time EOD.
How did you get started? I'm 22 and know nothing about stocks or finance really. I'm just a guy who works into IT.

Is there anything you recommend I watch or read to get into it or you can't advise? Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2020, 10:51 AM   #21
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Run Silent View Post
Funny thing is that it really is Ginseng. Found it by accident when I bought all the property. I had the builders using the trees on my property to build the home and we came across it during the forest clearings. Stuff is like gold up here, and there are many locals who will sneak onto your property and try and steal it.

Spent quite a bit of $$$ setting up significant security protocols around the property to prevent this. I have motion cameras with motion activated flood lights that set off alarms in the house based with filters to aid in reducing false alarms due to wildlife. Also have electrified fencing with step up transformers that I got approved from the county for the higher voltage due to "large sized wildlife".

This has seemed to mitigate my issues.

About to say...people will go to great lengths to steal that stuff. And people will go to great lengths to protect it!!!
      06-09-2020, 10:54 AM   #22
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMidnightNarwhal View Post
How did you get started? I'm 22 and know nothing about stocks or finance really. I'm just a guy who works into IT.

Is there anything you recommend I watch or read to get into it or you can't advise? Thanks!
We have a thread going on in the OT section on how you would invest $50K.

A lot of good people in there that know a lot...and we are throwing around our picks on a daily basis.

But as always...only risk what you can afford to lose....and this should not be your retirement plan.

Enter with a small amount.....stay patient, pull your initial investment back out...and play with house money.

Any stock I buy...if it goes up, I pull out my initial cost and let the rest ride!